Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Sprinter

Comments

• mrnimmomrnimmo Posts: 271
    Gaffney, South Carolina and maybe Pooler, Georgia. I also believe they are a union shops, unlike the Japanese auto plants here in the US.

The Dodge Ramvans it replaced were made in Ontario. Real "Mericun vans those were. I'd rather have jobs in South Carolina than Canada.
  • markbunchmarkbunch Posts: 1
    They are ASSEMBLED in the South Carolina plant this is an approximate quote
    "to avoid tarriffs the BOX is shipped in one box, the Chassis in another" they are bolted together in south carolina...... I suppose that provides a minimal amount of jobs....wonder if it offsets the tarrifs lost, must not or they wouldn't be using it for that express purpose.

I didn't used to be such a BUY USA ONLY kind of guy.....but wake up and smell the coffee the manufacturing base is allmost extinct. I challenge you to pick up common items in your home and see how many say Made in the USA as opposed to Made in China etc. No kidding try it you will be suprised.

>Gaffney, South Carolina and maybe Pooler, Georgia. I also believe they are a >union shops, unlike the Japanese auto plants here in the US.
    >
    >The Dodge Ramvans it replaced were made in Ontario. Real "Mericun vans those >were. I'd rather have jobs in South Carolina than Canada.
  • beckyr1beckyr1 Posts: 1
    we had a little over 2000 mi on our 2005 sprinter and they started making a horrible noise.... grumbling.... we took it in to service and they put new rotors and ordered new brake pads... we drove the vehicle approximately 1 week now at 4000 mi and the same noise returned. Back to service, we were told that this is normal
    for Sprinters everything is wearing normal. I am not happy because we didn't take it off the lot making the noise. I think they have a problem and are covering it up. Anyone else experiencing same thing. I looked on comments and found only your message....so this does not make it normal in my mind.
    B
  • ahp691ahp691 Posts: 5
    My other work truck is a ford E450 box truck with the 7.3 diesel, it gets 9mpg and weighs about 14,000 pounds. the sprinter has a 14 foot hackney aluminum box. I just filled the tank again and I got 15 MPG. (I have a heavy right foot). The truck has now 1800 miles( 1500 of these miles were put on by the shippers moving the truck to the body plant then on to me). Will the mileage get better as the engine breaks in more?
    Problems I have noticed, the drivers door seems too bind when opening after driving on a rough road. you can hear the door move around like it isn't closed tight enough on a bumpy road, but it is closed tight. Also the brake pedal feels to low to me and seems to have a lot of travel. I am used to a higher pedal. I am getting into the bad habit of pumping the brakes to get a higher pedal. it just feels wrong. The brakes work fine and I am sure it is just a design thing. it is full of brake fluid.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,991
    I am not trying to get anyone to buy this vehicle. I just cannot believe the mileage on a 3 year old van. The claim is that it was traded on a new Sprinter. It has 359,944 miles, wow. Look for your self. I think the Dodge dealer is even surprised.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4555917803&category=621- 0
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Posts: 249
    I know they are the same vehicles, but the van for sale is a Freightliner, not a Dodge Sprinter.
  • mazda6iguymazda6iguy Posts: 365
    Just wondering if there are any significant differences between Sprinters marketed by Freightliner and Sprinters marketed by Dodge (besides the grille).
  • n_teslan_tesla Posts: 9
    The grill and the hubcaps are the only difference. The Freightliner web page shows more options than the Dodge site. I just took the Freightliner order codes for the ones I wanted, gave them to my Dodge dealer and got everything I wanted. Freightliner makes a big deal about late service hours and fast service. If you buy your Dodge from a "Business Link" dealer they say you will get "next open bay" service and a free loaner vehicle. So I don't see much of an advantage one way or the other.
  • racks05racks05 Posts: 1
    I am interested in finding seat covers for our two 3 seat benchs and one 2 seater as well as the front two seats-who carries ones with head rests and room for the arm rests--I have arm rests on the rear seats on the end seats as well as the front two seats. in central california, please.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    DaimlerChrysler's Dodge brand is set to offer disabled customers a new option on its Sprinter full-size van. The Chrysler Group brand will pitch in $500 toward the cost of installing wheelchair lifts into vans for those customers as a part of the company's Automobility program, which was the first of its kind in the industry, Chrysler Group says. The Sprinter van is a version of a European van sold in the U.S. under both the Dodge brand and also DaimlerChrysler's Freightliner commercial brand. It offers a standard 2.7-liter turbodiesel engine and a five-speed automatic transmission, as well as antilock brakes and stability control.
  • eswifteswift Posts: 1
    Hi there,

Are there any Canadians in this forum? I'm looking for a good source for used Sprinter vans and I'm having a bit of difficulty. I could buy one in the U.S. but I'd prefer to buy one in kilometres with Canadian currency. Any ideas? Looking forward to any responses or thoughts you might have.

Thanks so much,

E Swift
  • garandmangarandman Posts: 524
    I am interested in finding seat covers for our two 3 seat benchs and one 2 seater as well as the front two seats-who carries ones with head rests and room for the arm rests--I have arm rests on the rear seats on the end seats as well as the front two seats. in central california, please.

Try Discount Van & Truck
    We currently have a Ford Econoline to transport two people and up to 1,000 lbs of gear throughout New England. We drive it 20-25,000 miles per year.

I've speced out a Chevy Express van as a replacement, and it appears to be about $5,000 less than a Sprinter. The Sprinter will save about $800 per year in fuel costs. Will the increased resale value make up for the difference?
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Garandman, the folks in the Smart Shopper Forum might be able to answer that question.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Why do you think that? There isn't a single mention of the sprinter in all the threads. Isn't this the Sprinter forum?
    The Chevy Express has a very predictable depreciation curve due to its long experience in the used market. Conversely, it's tough to predict the future for Sprinter resale values. Chrysler has has trouble filling demand for new Sprinters and note that they don't have to advertise big discounts them to sell them. My bet/guess is the Sprinter will have higher resale.

However, If you are a owner operator you should drive both and decide which one you will be most happy driving. We bought ours because the Sprinter was more comfortable and had more useable space than the E-150. We drive similar miles in New England and that's a lot of "windshield time", so make certain you like what you buy.
    It's a suggestion, garandman -- there are a number of discussions where you can post your question to get maximum feedback, that's all. For example, there's currently a discussion of the impact of resale values of various vehicles in the Any Questions for a Car Dealer? discussion.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• alfred4alfred4 Posts: 1
    I bought a 2005 Dodge Sprinter for the purpose of having it modified so I can drive it from my wheelchair. It is being modified at this time.

Does this fit the criteria for the funding program described in #176?

If so, what it the procedure to do so?

Alfred
  • graylinergrayliner Posts: 39
    ["The Chevy Express has a very predictable depreciation curve due to its long experience in the used market. Conversely, it's tough to predict the future for Sprinter resale values."]
    I thought the stand-up headroom was the draw for a Sprinter, as opposed to a standard van.
  • We convert on the Sprinter chassis daily, and havn't seen any substantial changes other than the nameplate. It does make a great Camper/ Workvan, and even the dual rear wheel version doesn't ride really harsh. (It does make a substantial difference if it has an interior installed though. The cargo version is quite noisy going down the highway.) Just took a trip from Indiana to West Virginia and back in one and was pleased in how nice it drove. My wife drove on the way back, and said she was also pleasantly suprised with how it drove. :shades:
    Alfred4, if you go to the Automobility Web Site, you'll find an explanation of the steps to take. Hope this helps :-)

• Hey Sprinter Guy,
    I have been looking for a vehicle for my camping fantasies...
    Trucks w/ campers...van conversions...new...used...
    and a friend told me about the Sprinter and I said yuk to diesel...
    But, I hear diesel has improved (as far as pollution...smelll...)
    What do you know about that and can we convert the diesel to cleaner solution in the future..? I like the better gas mileage of the Sprinter...but, my real question is what do you do to "Convert" the Sprinter...does that mean into a camper van???
    Would love your input?

Campergirl in California
  • see2xusee2xu Posts: 3
    The Sprinter saga in the three NAFTA countries is kind of tangled. Initially, Sprinters were sold by Mercedes-Benz Canada under the M-B nameplate. This was not wildly successful. You will see some UPS Sprinters with the three-pointed star on the grille operating in the larger cities. Latterly, the Dodge version has been introduced. Freightliner Sprinters have never been sold in Canada, although there are some FedEx vans that were purchased by the parent and delivered in Canada.

Interestingly, in Mexico, Sprinter was introduced two years ago as a Mercedes-Benz and continues there as such, not a Dodge or a Freightliner.

I would say your chances of finding a used M-B Sprinter are pretty slim, given the small sales volumes. Perhaps a Dodge dealer demo would be your best bet.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,810
    My understanding is that MB decided that marketing the Sprinter as an MB in the US and Canada was not the best idea. It was felt that the customers of plumbers, electricians, GC's, florists would not appreciate a "tradesman" showing up at their home in an MB - even if it is a commercial van. Hence, marketing it under the Freightliner and Dodge brands.

As for UPS, every Sprinter I see in the Boston area has had the Freightliner logo removed.
  • mazda6iguymazda6iguy Posts: 365
    Yes, I saw the freightliner logo removed (also the dodge ram logo, save for the series designation on the side) on three UPS Sprinters that were being serviced at the local MB/Dodge dealer.
  • kx200kx200 Posts: 3
    This sound kind of stupid but the sweet smell of the exhaust is one of the best of any vehicle on the road. As far as RV campers there are over a half dozen making them. Some just modify the stock van and some buy the cab & chassis and start over. I love mine for hauling my dirt bikes. :)
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,991
    Are you getting decent mileage with your Sprinter? I am looking at the Airstream Interstate converson right now.
  • kx200kx200 Posts: 3
    I have owned a stock PASSENGER 2500 VAN 158-in WB (HIGH ROOF) with the 3.72 ratio rear end for over a year now. The mileage is fairly consistent for me. Only once was it below 20mpg (19.5mpg) and my highest was 22.9mpg. I would like to see a 3.55 ratio for interstate speeds of 70 /75mph
  • What do these do?

Just trying to compile a price on the internet and have these options to choose. Please be specific. For instance, I know a luxury bucket driver's seat is a luxury bucket driver's seat, but how is it different from the stock one?

Fixed Front Driver's Side Window
    Fixed Front-Passenger Window
    Auxiliary belt drive
    Front insulation
    High idle function
    Luxury bucket driver's seat
    Rear insulation

Thanks
    Fixed Driver's Side Window - This is a fixed pane of glass behind the driver where the second row of passenger seats would go.

Fixed Passenger Side Window - Same on the other side. This is very convenient for merging in traffic.

Both of the above can be ordered in Privacy Glass.

Aux drive belt - Darned if I know

Front insulation - supposedly cuts down on noise and keeps the inside cooler/warmer depending on outside conditions. Actually pretty cheesy stuff. I ordered it hoping for more.

Rear insulation - more of the above only behind you.

High idle function - Beats me

Luxury Bucket Seats - Awesome adjustable seats. Pump up lumbar, extending lower cushion for thigh support, more adjustments than you can use. Order them if you can!