Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Excursion Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• almajikalmajik Posts: 1
    Has anybody from ny state had any problems with the new OBD emissions test??
    i own a 2001 excursion ltd with the V10 with veh. weight on reg. as 6972 lbs from ford and now with the new inspection test it would not pass due to incorrect weight.i had to get an exception and test was done with old machine.any body else with this prob?? looking to avoid problem next year. thanx
  • Hello, all - new member here.

Have a 2001 Dsl Ltd 4x4. Had the 45k service done at end of March - noticed some stiffness when shifting that I hadn't seen before, but didn't think too much about it since it didn't seem to affect performance.

Went on extended road trip last week, drove from Seattle to Bozeman, MT and back. Upon return, first gear died in tranny and 2-3 shift sometimes doesn't work either. Dealer says, "checking w/ext. warranty co." to make sure whether it's covered or not.

I was very surprised by this development; but then, my last Ford was a '65 F250 2x4 long-bed automatic that I drove until it literally rusted apart (about 300k miles). With regular service, it never had any problems. None. Most reliable vehicle I've ever had, and I've owned a few (including Mercy's and Beamers and other supposedly "high-end" cars). Up 'til now, I there had been no problems with the X so I figured I was doing OK.

Recent surfing revealed a rumor that some of the earlier X's (maybe 20%) have had serious tranny problems at or before 40k. Anyone had similar experience, or is this just more baseless noise?

cheers all
    ~ld
  • cliff4cliff4 Posts: 1
    LD

Wow, how glad to see you have the same thing that I just out my Excursion in the shop for yesterday. I love my Excursion, no big problems till resently.

Same thing...service is always done well in advance and above recommendations. My rig is an 01 dsl 4x4 lmt. with 67,000 miles. About 15,00 or so I started to notice a higher rpm when driving have a fultter or hesitation. Took it to the shop and they replaced a sensor on the engine which help the futter....Now my tranny needs to be replaced beacuse it is slipping at 2-3 gear point. What's funny I am in Seattle as well maybe it's just our area.

What are you doing to fix yours? I am getting a rebult installed at the tune of about $3,000....

On a side note...what knd or fuel milage are you getting with yours? I get right at 14.7 gpm
  • cliff4:

Very interesting - thanks for your response.

I am now very very glad I did something I usually don't do, namely, bought the extended warranty when I bought the car. In short: dealer (Harris Ford in Lynnwood - can I say that?) is replacing entire unit with a new 4R100-B transmission unit. Warranty covers everything except the trans fluid inline filter that Harris says they have to install; after hearing about how flushing the line may not get out all the bits of metal from the exploding clutch plates, I'm cool with that - you should make sure your mechanic does the same thing.

In short, out of pocket: $500 deductible plus maybe $200 for the filter, other ancillary parts and excess labor. Considering the ext. warranty cost me about $1500 at purchase time, it has definitely paid for itself with this one.

The flutter you mention - I had that @ appx 1400-1500 rpm also, but it sort-of went away on its own, so didn't think more about it.

Just before my transmission exploded, I was getting about 18 mpg freeway and 14-15 mpg combined mileage.

And I am highly annoyed with how expensive diesel is in this state!! Prices in Montana for #2 are about $2.45/gal and here they're almost $3/gal. Any conditions that cause diesel to be more expensive than premium gas are either very fishy or just plain wrong, IMHO.

Good luck with your X, hope the repair goes well.

cheers
    ~sam
  • blackxblackx Posts: 2
    hello

i have a 2001 excursion
    the backup sensor goes to off each time i put it in revers.
    and i can not get it to work when i push the bottom.
    any help on this?
    morten(norway)
    thanks for any help
  • hey folks! It's been a while since I have been on here, I guess that is good news- huh- since we mostly use this for problem identification.
    I just turned 60,000 miles on my 2000 Ex. Limited, V10, 4wd. The back brakes finally needed replacing. In search of something better, I found NAPA carries a Cermic composite material pad. It should provide better braking, less heat and MUCH less (little to no) dust. They were not cheap at $69 a set, but are complete with hardware which is a plus. I figured I would replace the front pads, even though they still looked great. The front pads had been replaced several times along with rotors (warped) at 12k, 24k and 33k miles- but have been fine since. When replacing the front pads I was SHOCKED to find the passenger side caliper slide pins was RUSTED and frozen. I am not sure, but I would suspect when the dealer serviced the brakes, they neglected to grease the pins. It is all together today and stops great. Probably a combination of better pads and fully working front brakes! I still have a noise underneath (I was hoping the frozen caliper was the culprit) so further investigation is needed. When I apply the brakes, I still get a small *clunk* noise. I think it may be the rear driveshaft slip-joint. It seems to have play in it. It does not have a zerk fitting for lubrication, so dropping the whole shaft is my only option. Not good or fun.
    On a better note, I did install Sirius satellite radio! I hardly use the CD player anymore as there is always something great to listen to. I bought the Streamer GT model and can take it from car to car to home, where ever.
    I am also looking into getting a clear bug deflector. I had a smoke colored one, but I didn't like it on the white truck.
    Other than this brief update, everything else is doing well.
  • OH CRAP!!!!!
    I found the *clunk* culprit. Ok, the inspection station found the problem. As I mentioned, the truck is a 2000 with only 60,300 miles. As it turns out it needs FOUR ball joints!! :sick: YIKES. At first, my heart stopped realizing that replacing four ball joints just might be a $800 job. Sure, I do all my own work, but replacing these is a major :mad: PITA. Luckily, I did buy the ESP with this and they are covered!! YEAH. Now, I made an appointment at the dealer to get those done, the right rear door lock actuator replaced and the rear driveshaft checked. The moral is, buy the extended warranty folks if you plan on keeping the truck.
    I was leary when I did, however I knew this would be last Excursion I would buy. Even if you sell or trade your vehicle in, you may be eligible to get a pro-rated refund. I did receive a refund when we traded in our Explorer.
    Next update......??????
  • fordflyfordfly Posts: 2
    Hi, I am writing for my hubby, he was driving along had some problems, took the 2000 dsl, 4x4, excursion into the shop.

$4000 later, apparently we have a broken front axle assembly on the left side???? Bearings went bad, tore the housing, and broke a "pumpkin"???

All I know is this is exstreamly out of sorts to happen. He drove the truck 150miles back to the shop. The dealer ship thought this is weird, and 2 mechanic friends, think is weird.

Has anyone heard of this?? Should this happen?
  • I have a 2000 for excursion and when the vehicle is off but the key is on the ON position the odometer will start to roll I have sat here for ten minutes and it has put 40 miles on any suggestions?
  • agoodwinagoodwin Posts: 16
    Fordfly:
    Do you rock climb your vehicle? This sounds weird also. That is a Dana 60 front axle and is very strong. Something catistrofic must have happen. If you haven't been abusing or maintaining it. Personaly I would question the problem. My Excursion did a crazy thing with only 8500 miles (Eddie Bauer, V-10, 4X4) My AC completely leeked out of the system. The dealership checked out for leekes, with no indication of any bad connections or holes in the lines. So they refilled the system and it seems to work just fine as before??????? As for the brake rotors the Cryogentics Company that I deal with are not very timely with delivering a processed set of rotors. So with that said. My Company will not be offering them for replacemment. My reputation is on the line. I don't want to be unrealible because of them. Don't get me wrong their Cryo Process is very good. But the service takes forever.
    Here is a web site to check out http://www.frozenrotors.com. This is not the place that did mine. But it looked pretty good to me if you want Cryo Rotors. Sounds as if I better buy the extended warentee for the 04 Excursion (Full coverage) One thing after another. But it could be worse if it was a GM product Ha Ha good stuff right?
    C/Ya Later Andrew
  • fordflyfordfly Posts: 2
    goodwin,
    To answer your question, no we do not rock climb. This Large vehicle is mainly used for hauling our 2 teenage boys w/ friends & 2 German Shepards to hour Vacation property about 150 miles away. We do pull a 22ft deck boat and or 2 Sea Doos, up a very bumpy hill. But that is about it. This vehicle is perfect for the job. We slowly 4x4 up the bumpy hill pulling the boat, less then 1/8 of mile (or less then 1/4) not sure, but what ever. This 4x4 is a family boat pulling car. That is about it.

The Ford is still in the shop, waiting parts. Hubby is going to take all the broken parts to show. We think we should contact Ford about this. Any suggestions??

driving me crazy!!!
  • gduggergdugger Posts: 1
    I have a diesel 2000 Excursion that only blows air from the defrost vents under the windshield no matter what I select. I can turn it off and control the temp but not where the air comes from. A call to the local Ford shop seems to indicate they will have to trouble shoot the system for a couple of hours. That sounds unreasonable. The diagnosis should be easy for someone that knows the system. Any ideas or help out there? Anyone have the same problem? Thanks
  • I have a 2000 Ex Limited and have had the same problem...it has been back 3 times and still doesn't work right. You can never tell when it will act up, it can be fine for a while and then back again. I also have peeling paint and plan on taking legal action against Ford.
  • max99max99 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Exc. diesel--lots of miles, but excellent condition.
    Two days ago and for no apparent reason, the tail lights blows the fuse in the box under the hood. brake lights, turn signals, flashers still work.
    No damaged wiring, no trailers hooked up, nothing.
    does anyone have any suggestions other that 8 hours at a dealer?
  • smbrookssmbrooks Posts: 1
    I'm running 4.30 in my 2000 Ex 4x4. The V10 will handle 11,000 lbs. If you are pulling the full amount in hot weather you might consider the upgraded transmission cooler. Your tranny will have more trouble with the weight than the engine. But, I've pulled 11k lbs through the mountains. If you aren't in a big hurry, it's no problem. Towing I get about 8mpg. The quality of your hitch will make a big difference as well. Happy towing. :)
  • bennie3737bennie3737 Posts: 1
    I have an '03 Excursion Diesel 4X4. I have had brake problems since brand new. Right now my rotors are warped and I would like to know the best way to treat this problem. Under warranty Ford repaired my front brakes four (4) times and I am still having problems and now they are out of warranty. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks, Bennie
  • tenapstertenapster Posts: 1
    Greetings all,

I bought my 2000 Excursion (6.8L Limited) used in 2003, and have driven about 40K trouble free miles...but in the past six months the following problems have come up one after the other:
    1) door ajar light/bell sounds randomly during heavy rain...all doors closed tight...re-closing any/all doors repeatedly usually gets this to subside
    2) backup sensor remains 'off' at all times, dealer says computer indicates left/center sensor is bad
    3) all door lock actuators except driver's door have failed - I'm running laps around this thing to let my kids in the other side!
    4) auto-locking 4WD has failed - immediately after a 5 hour drive in 4WD during a snowstorm - smelled a bit of that old 'burning clutch' smell - only way into 4WD now is manually locking the hubs and turning switch to 4x4 (I'm guessing vacuum failure?)
    5) and finally, just this week...when turning the steering wheel in either direction (stopped/idling) there is a loud non-metalic-rubber 'brrrrr' sound - only while actually turning the wheel - almost sounds like something metal pressing/turning against something made of rubber. If you turn the steering wheel slowly the
    'brrrrr' is lower in pitch, turn faster and it's higher in pitch...I do know this is not the usual powersteering pump noise, which is still present and still sounds quite normal...it's something in the steering linkage I'm guessing...

So - any ideas for the above? I'm pretty handy so can follow suggestions well -I'm afraid these problems are looking like a couple thousand $ in dealer shop time and bits-n-pieces...

Thanks in advance!

TENapster
  • drnauticadrnautica Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with my '02 Excursion. It started about two months ago. I've replaced sensors in the past due to the alarm going off for no reason but this is a different problem. The "OFF" light illuminates each time the transmission is shifted into reverse and will not work even if the OFF button is pushed.

Anyone know what's up?
  • cf_kochcf_koch Posts: 1
    I am the owner of a 2000 Excursion with 33,000 miles on it. My truck has recently started to wear the left front tire and the diagnosis is that I have bad ball joints. I find this to be very unusual to have ball joints fail on a vehicle with such low milage. Is this normal on these vehicles?

My door ajar light and all the lights in the truck will not go off. Does anybody have a solution to this problem.
  • socalxboxsocalxbox Posts: 1
    Hello All,

I own a 6.0psd 4x2 2003 Excursion with 36k on it. I took it in for leaking oil on driveway. Well come to find out according to the dealer, due to the lift kit the transmission cooolent lines are stretched out, and mixing with radiator coolant and contaminated the transmission fluid. According to the dealer there is no way to flush it out. Only option is rebuilt or new transmission. Has anyone else had such problems? Dont know weather to trust the Dealer.
  • cbuzzancacbuzzanca Posts: 1
    My 2001 Excursion (V-10) is sitting at the mechanic right now since it won't pass the emissions test. The tech said the truck is in perfect condition and is baffled as to why it won't pass. Anybody?
    Have your buddy run another V-10 and this will give you a year to figure the problem with yours.
  • boyer258boyer258 Posts: 1
    You mention the caliper pins were frozen. I have a 2001 X and replaced the caliper bracket and pins last July. They have frozen again. Do you have any recommendations on how to free the pins. I would prefer not to have to buy another setup (around $80). Also, I now know its important to use some good synthetic grease on the pins.
  • my 2003 excursion eddie bauer edition...............has had the rotors and brakes changed twice (its the whole warping, vibration thing) this last time i was at 35,450 and it is at 40,000 now and desperately needs to be done again. my mechanic is at wits end replacing these rotors.............along with myself. if you happen to hear of the for sure fix i would like to be part of it. not sure about the ceramic pads or the crynoics ????? but i am tired of vibrating to a stop! :(
  • I own a 2001 ford Excursion limited. And form what I'm reading I'm not the only one with a lemon. I have changed my brakes about every 15,000 miles for they wear out or warp. nothing helps. pins freeze and have to replace them almost every time. Truck has 83,000 miles right now and the hits just keep on coming. Inside lights stay on and so does the door ajar sign. I keep blowing a fuse when I try to take overdrive off. when using 4x4, it doesn't always engage and when it does it won't disengage then I hear and feel this horrendous thump when it finally decides to disengage. passanger door locks don't work and back key lock is non operable from outside with key. And now as of late I have picked up this nasty and terrible vibration when I go past 60mph, I've changed the brakes, the steering stabilizer shock, the u joints all seem to be fine but when I take a curve or slow down it just gets worse I'm pretty handy but I'm baffled by this vibration I'm told it could be the tires are off balance or that the steering arm might be bad. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I'm no money bags and in the process of buying a house so I cannot afford the expensive dealer bill. Thank you. :lemon:
    Well the Ex brakes are still feeling real good at 9000 miles. I had the Cryogentics done to a Ford set of rotors. Put them on and they are good and smooth. This is my 3rd Excursion I've have had. Every one of the previous vehicles had problems. This worked for me .
    Cya later Andrew
  • dlanddland Posts: 1
    2000 Ex 7.3 Turbo Diesel, 125,000 miles --- engine stops without turning ignition off but restarts immediately using key --- frequency = say, once a week - usually stops while sitting at traffic light ---does not run rough --- no other apparent problems... anyone with similar problem/diagnosis --- thanks --- dland, dallas, tx
  • Well, guess what! As some of you might have expected. Heard from Ford Motor Co. today and it turns out. Ford Motor Company's Customer assistance was of no assistance at all. Instead the lady there went as far as telling me that. " If the mechanics at the dealer told me that it is my driving that is causing all my problems, then that must be my answer, for they are trained and certified technicians." Also she told me that since my X has 82,000 mi. That I must pay for any repairs done to it since my truck is out of warranty. Wait. My story doesn't end there!. I asked her. How come all you people on this forum seem to have the exact same problems with your trucks as I am, no matter what the year is whether it is a 2000 or a 2004 Gas or Diesel ? Her answer! " We do not support Web sites' comments or complaints." Well now. I thought to myself and told her. Why then, wouldn't it be nice if the reporters at the Auto Insider part of The Detroit News or Detroit Free Press were to read and hear all the problems we all seem to have with our trucks and that The great company that made them, basically washes their hands off of them! Her response! "That's another issue and we do not support Web sites comments as I stated earlier Sir" So. My dilemma now. What do I do about this situation. Do I sit on my thumbs and fork out a boat load of money for the repairs or do I ask all of you with similar problems to call Ford and try and get them to do something about this? I hope is the latter because frankly I don't think any of you want to shell out thousands of Dollars on unnecessary repairs that Ford should have taken care of with their design of these already expensive vehicles. And I hope that you may want to take the time to write to the News about your problems. Maybe a little bit of embarrassment may change their minds at Ford and they'll help us want to keep driving our Excursions for a long time. My family has driven Fords since 1951 and it is a shame that Ford customer service would take this stance. The number to Customer Service in Detroit Michigan is 1-800-392-3673. You will need your vehicles ID or VIN number when calling Ford Customer Service. Thanks for your time reading this. BIGPAIN FORD
  • jordjord Posts: 1
    Any luck solving this? My 2000 Excursion Limited diesel has the exact same problem!
  • I once owned a 97 F250 7.3 POWERSTROKE that would CUT OUT at any time or speed. (A very scary two days) I asked one of the mechanics at work (we run Internationals in our Ford newspaper
    delivery trucks) and he immediately said it was the CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR. He went to stock, got a sensor, gave me a socket and ratchet, told me it was LOCATED on the FRONT OF THE BLOCK, and ten minutes later that motor never cut out again. I hope this helps... Marshfield, Massachusetts.