Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Excursion Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have been having the same problem on the same truck as #211 and #219 but now it's much worse.

00 Excursion - started with the "starts but won't idle at cold temps" problem a few weeks ago. Today the Door Ajar light went nuts, intermittantly coming on, going out. Now it's running oddly, it's acting like the catalytic converter has collapsed or the muffler has a hole - but intermittantly. Com'on, even I know a muffler sound won't go away for awhile and come right back again.

Sooo... is this sounding like a fried computer brain?
  • I thought I read a previous post about this problem. The fix was to take it to the dealer to have the computer chip reset. Does anyone know if this works. I like the dealership as much as the dentist and would avoid going at all cost but if this works it would be nice to be able to tell them exacatly what to do and not be raked through the coals while they look for a needle in a haystack.
  • roosmamaroosmama Posts: 28
    OK I had the same problems #1 and #4. For #1 I yelled at Ford and was told that with the big V10 you have to stick to the Ford specification type oil for that truck. I have taken it to the local quicky lube and the oil disappears. If I take it to the local Ford dealer the oil does not disappear. Most be something about that big engine breaking down the oil. Problem #4 happened to me right after I bought the thing with only 52,000 km on it (Canadian, eh!) I took it back to the dealer and it was replaced under warranty. You may want to check and see if it is a recall. It freaked me out too!
    I have a 2000 Excursion and have had lock trouble with the thing. I used to work at a Ford dealer and found out the hard way that Ford had a 'silent' recall on the electric locks. By silent, they did not send out any letters but if you complained before the warranty was up they would replace them all. If they went after the warranty period you were on your own. The locks are faulty, somthing about the activator being too small or the lock post being too long. Something stupid. :confuse:
  • lionelnlioneln Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 7.3L diesel I only have 57,000 miles on it, I do the regular maint. on it. The problem I am having is my vehicle has a hard start or no start in the morning, The batteries seem to drain, and I sometimes get no juice at all when I turn the key on. Plus I have had to replace the starter relays several times. I have taken it to the Ford dealer and they have replaced different chips and it is good for about 2 months, then it is back in the dealership, I have had the same problems with the power door locks they just go off when ever they want, open and close without anyone pressing the switch. As I read the blogs I see many of the problems, what can I do? What about the silent recall from Ford is there anything that can be done? I love the vehicle and I use it to pull our boat or trailer, but with all these little problems I am ready to trade it in, any suggestions? :mad:
  • Bought a 2001 Excursion V10 4x4 in February. Only has 72,000 miles on it. Yesterday noticed that I had a very bad engine stutter around 40-50 mph. Then the service engine soon light popped on. Checked the air filter - it was dirty so I cleaned it out, took it for a test drive today, still has the stutter just before 50mph. Anyone had this problem? What should I look for? Fuel filter, fuel pump? I just re-put on my gas cap, just in case hubby didn't latch it right, cause I know it could be that. But I need to know what else to check, cause I would really hate to find out that its an expensive fix. Thanks! :confuse:
    Don't know if it will help but mine had a plugged inline fuel filter at about the same milage. I have also found that I have to keep putting the gasline anti freeze to it as well.
  • ksw515ksw515 Posts: 1
    My excursion squeaks really bad when driving over bumps.... had the chassis mounts lubricated that seem to stop the problem for a week or so it came back.... should the mounts be changed and if so is it costly...... help
  • nick42nick42 Posts: 4
    I have had a similar problem with engine stutter and rough idle. I had to replace one of the 10 spark plug wire/coils. This solved the problem. I only replaced one because they are $50 - $70 each. You would need 10 to replace them all$$$$. I found the one that was at fault by using a engine meter.
  • I have a 2000 Ford 7.3l turbo diesel Excursion and it stalled on me yesterday while driving.. has anyone had this problem. If so how did you get it taken care of?
  • Update:

Found out what the problem was....

bad gas.

I bought a fuel filter, re-put on my gas cap (hubby isnt quite sure how to use the locking caps)...then all of a sudden when I burned all the gas I had just bought at a no name gas station the light went off, the stutter stopped and all was well. I talked to a friend of mine who was a mechanic for many years and he said it was most likely watered down gas, it makes your engine act like its starving for fuel because its getting water as well, not just straight fuel.

I also got really really bad gas mileage during this tank of gas...between 5-8 miles to the gallon (I average between 10 and 15 normally).

So beware of watered down gas... ;)
  • When you stay stalled, did it just die/quit running? Did it restart and take off going again? Has it done this before? Has it ever studdered while driving? I'd check fuel filter 1st, if not it might be the cam-pos sensor. You're not giving much info to go on, please expand. What were the conditions of this stall? Rush hr traffic? Towing? Running down the interstate? Other?
  • Might the main switch cluster on driver door.
  • I was turning into my son's school when it stalled. And yes it started up again. Then today I had a stutter around 45 to 50 getting on the Interstate. Then it stalled again turning down another street today. Put it back into park and it started again. I am thinking it is the CPS since it is the original item...
  • Hi, I just checked my email and saw your posting, yes, you have a Cam Position Sensor that is failing, I just had the same problem with my 2000 excursion (diesel). I exhibited the same symptoms that you explained. Replaced CPS, all is well.

P.S. you can buy the sensor for 65.00 on ebay, and it isn't hard to replace. Good Luck
  • I am not quite qualified to do it. I am a numbers person and do not like working on engines. But the ford dealer did not like it when i told him it was a 10 minute job.
  • I had very similar with my 1995 7.3, it would just out of the blue, seems as if someone turned off the ignition for a sec or two then it would run fine, It'll get more frequent the longer you go. Never could recreate it when I wanted it to, I replaced the Cam-Pos sensor, takes about 20mins, although Ford doesn't give them away. Make sure you used a good socket, and don't strip the bolt head. It only becomes more fun if you do, had a buddy of mine do this, took him 1 day and a trip to a mechanic to get the bolt out.
  • bigtruck1bigtruck1 Posts: 7
    These instructions were a great help, the dealer wants $100.00 for the actuator and another $100.00 for each install. Do you happen to know of any solution to the IDLE problems? My 2000 V10 does not want to idle at start up. I have to drive with one foot on the brake and one on the gas until it decides to idle on its own. The dealer wants $90.00 for me to pull it in their driveway! Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • ronidronid Posts: 2
    We also are having problems with our 2000 V10 holding an idle on start up ... husband swares it is the gas and is always putting a cleaner in fuel ... but this has been going on for years now ... any one have an answer?
  • skibo72skibo72 Posts: 1
    Im having this same issue every now and then is there an answer?
  • My tail gate window will not open. It is acting like it is locked but I cannot tell for sure. Anyone have this problem?? If so what did you do?
    I had the opposite problem. It would not lock. The problem was in the linkage for the door locks, which also lock the rear window. If you give the lock a good spray with WD 40 or something the linkage should let go. If not you'll have to have the rear door panel taken off and the linkage cleaned. Don't try that yourself unless you have the special tools to get it off or you can snap the plastic fasteners and then have an even bigger repair bill.
  • Seems like my Rear window will not unlock with the remote. It had to be unlocked via the manual lock in the door. What can I do to fix this problem with out costing a small fortune??? :confuse:
  • twtcadtwtcad Posts: 13
    Hello.....I've been have this issue for a few months now, just have not had time to take it to dealer. With this surging at idle my lights also go bright/dim constantly. Has anybody else experience this? In the past 6 months or so I have replaced the alternator and both batteries. Also last night for the first time the battery light came on and flashed for around 5 miles and then went off. Any help would be great. Thank You!
  • Check engine light has anyone ever had this issue? How much did it cost for repair or did you?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,049
    Lots of auto parts stores will diagnose that for free now.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Every where I call tell me that there is at least a $70 diagnostic fee to determine if the is plug #8 or the chip...hmmm
  • twtcadtwtcad Posts: 13
    Autozone and/or Discount Auto Parts will read the codes for free. It's not as in depth as the scanners connected to a computer, but it should tell you why the check engine light is on.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,049
    Someone reported that the AutoZone in their town was now charging to pull the codes. But it's still worth asking around to see if there's some parts store who'll do it for free, hoping you'll buy any needed parts from them.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• ronidronid Posts: 2
    Has any one found out the problem for WHY the 2000 V10 will not hold an idle on start up and you have to double foot with brake and gas until it decides it wants to hold the idle. Called Ford Consumer Department and no one there has an answer and the dealer wants me to leave the truck over night because by the time I drive to the service center it is holding an idle just fine (made me look like a fool) and because we use the truck for the horses we haven't had time to leave it over night yet. Help?!?