Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo XC90 SUV

Comments

• Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    we're on the 3rd set of tires for our 2004 xc90, 56000 miles now. we picked Korean/hancooks instead of Japanese/yokohama this time, in order to save about $300 total. the hancooks are rather NOISY, so i am letting yall know about that.
  • Options
    actually i now think the noise is due to wheel bearings on right side because the noise disappears for on/off ramps.
  • Options
    jim314jim314 Member Posts: 491
    Doing some research for a relative with a RWD 2WD SUV with the same size as my wife's 2007 XC90 3.2 2WD (235/65-17), I came up with the possibilities below from a major tire seller.

1. Goodyear Integrity at about $94 per tire is the cheapest, and is still a decent tire (103T, UTQG 460 A B).

2. Goodyear Assurance TripleTred at about $129 per tire is a very long lasting tire (104H, UTQG 740 A B).

3. Continental ContiCrossContact LX should be long lasting at about $127 per tire (108H, UTQG 680 A B).

4. Goodyear Fortera Silent Armor at $153 per tire is long lasting and has good traction and heat resistance (104H, UTQG 620 A A).

5. OE tires on my relative's SUV were Michelin LTX A/S (not sure whether it was 103 or 104 load rating). The Michelin LTX A/S at $151 per tire (103S, UTQG 400AB) is not nearly as much tire for the money based on the load rating and UTQG rating. The tread will not last as long as any of the others, even as long as the cheapest one on this list, the Goodyear Integrity which costs $57 less per tire.
  • Options
    lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    I have replaced my OEM 18" Michelin with Continental LX and very happy with them They ARE long lasting. I have ~35K on them with a lot of thread left.

I went Plus Zero, as they are not available in the same width as Michelin for 18" rims. And they look much nicer, with more "mascular" thread pattern.
  • Options
    cv2006cv2006 Member Posts: 23
    Hi all!

Just recently began to have a problem with the DVD player (factory installed) in my 2006 XC90. This is what happens... I insert a disc into the player, the screen says reading disc, then after a few seconds it ejects it. :mad: I have tried different DVDs to rule a problem with the actual disc, but the problem has continued. I plan to take the vehicle in next week to have the problem rectified, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has had this problem.

TIA
  • Options
    the hancook tires are fine, not noisy. the noise was a rear wheel bearing... maybe i'll try hancook snow tires on our VWs this winter.
  • Options
    A problem recently came up with the CD player (single disc) in my wife's 2007 base XC90 3.2. I traced a repeated whirring noise which began a couple of months ago to the CD player repeatedly whirring with no disc inserted. She had not ever used it. I inserted a disc, which it would not play, and had a lot of trouble getting it ejected. The CD player now no longer whirrs, but it doesn't work.
  • Options
    raezmomraezmom Member Posts: 1
    I love the way the suv looks online but unfortunately I can't test drive it or look at the interior. I was wondering how comfortable it is especially the third row sits and trunk space. Can adults fit in the third row sit and go on a road trip comfortably.
  • Options
    It is very nice and comfortable car for 5. Two back seats are design for kids or for a short trip for adults. No regular size adult will feel comfortable there on a long road trip.

If this is a requirement - look at full size SUV - GM, Ford, big Toyotas and Nissans. BMW, MB, Acura, ets. - are going to be equally uncomfortable.

The trunk space is very good with 5 seats and just adequate or marginal for the long trip with 7. Again - if you plan long road trips with more than 5 and a lot of stuff - the best bet is a full size SUV. Even minivans have somewhat restricted cargo space with all seats up.
  • Options
    what Lev said. no way is the third row for adults, not even for a short trip. forget about that idea. but the third row is fine for small kids even on looong road trips. there's a dedicated/adjustable AC fan back there. but no 2nd AC compressor. i'd next be looking at Benz R class if I were interested in a vehicle with adult-sized 3rd row. and the full size GMs too. i looked at excursion once and ruled it out due to lack of proper safety equipment in 3rd row. no shoulder belt. no headrests. LAME.
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Actually, the XC90 DOES have a 2nd set of exchange coils for the 3rd row.
  • Options
    I would not be so dismissive of the 3rd row seats for adults in XC90. We use them rather frequently. A short drive to/from the restaurant, theater or other event or venue is just fine. My Mom and Dad live in the adult community, and we often pick them and their friends. You will be surprised that even 70-80 years old men and slim(mer) women can get back there with no real problem.
  • Options
    lostchildlostchild Member Posts: 17
    I am an adult male 5'9" tall, 172 lbs. The third row feels very comfortable to me. My head is about 2 inches from ceiling, but other than that, short to medium trip should not be a problem.
  • Options
    kylechoffmankylechoffman Member Posts: 79
    I own a 2006 2.5T.

I am 6'0" 175 and unless the 2nd row is all the way forward, there is no room for my toes or legs in the third row. We have done it twice with 7 people - its not possible.

Another gripe - car seats. I cant put a carseat behind the drivers seat is im driving. It must go in the middle and to top it off, putting it in is a total hassle.

I have 15K miles on my XC in 19 months and Im on the verge of selling it because of the space issues (6 month old, 80lb growing dog and at some point future 2nd child).

Great car for short people/ people without big families.
  • Options
    bigeddybigeddy Member Posts: 181
    It may not work for you but the XC90 has loads of flexible seating for a mid-sized SUV; not as much space as a minivan or full-sized SUV but better in many other ways. A family of 4 with a dog shouldn't have any trouble fitting in with a little planning. If all 3 rows are used there are limitations but an amazing variety of adults and children can be accommodated. We've carried 2 large adults, 2 smaller adults, and a child in a car-seat with ease. At other times we have carried 6 adults of various sizes without problem. We just have to locate the people with long legs in a certain order, kind of like a puzzle.
  • Options
    stmssstmss Member Posts: 206
    ??? What else are you carrying around. We have carted 3 kids and a 75lb lab for 8 yrs in a V70. Looking at upgrading to either XC90 but leaning toward another V70. One 6 month old and a dog any you need to upsize from XC90?
  • Options
    We have hauled dogs for some years in an 850 wgn and a V70. This year we got an XC90 3.2 5 passenger. It has more room than the 2004 V70, but our 13-year-old 70-lb dog has to be helped in and out. The XC90 is much higher than the V70. Injury is a possibility for dogs exiting.

The XC90 (I6-cyl) gets 13-16 mpg around town and 21-22 mpg hwy under the best of conditions. The V70 (base 5-cyl 168 hp non-turbo) about 21-23 mpg around town and 30+ mpg hwy (34 mpg on IHs driven carefully).
  • Options
    ses76ses76 Member Posts: 4
    I'm praying someone can help me. I may have just made a purchase I'll regret! My family has owned volvos for years and we've had wonderful experiences.....they have run forever and ever. I *assumed* that would be the same with the xc90. I'm reading some awful things about this car!!! I've put a deposit down and pending my mechanics ok I'm supposed to buy it. It's a 04 T6 with about 52k. It has a clean carfax report. Drove well on the test drive.....

Did I make a mistake? I'm hearing a lot about transmission failures... I can't even imagine this!!!!

I went to look at an XC70 (which I had already researched) and ended deciding I liked the 7 passenger idea and ended up putting money down for this car. I hadn't read a thing about it! I feel like an idiot.

Please help!

~Susan
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Remember that it's human nature to complain, so more people will come to a car forum and gripe about their car. If it's running fine, most of us don't take the time to post about that. You can go to any forum here and you'll almost always find more people posting about problems and solutions than those praising their car.

It sounds like you are doing your homework so you're way ahead of the average buyer too.

This may help (may make your anxiety level worse too though if you nitpik through every item :) .):

Used Car Buying Checklist
  • Options
    thanks so much! you're right...i forget that people are much more likely to share negative experiences (learned that in a pr workshop!). you're also right about sending my anxiety through the roof reading that list!!! i'm going to have my mechanic give it the once over and i'll check some of those items while the car is with him. thanks so much for replying!
  • Options
    If it is a Volvo CPO car, you will have a warranty to 100,000 miles.
    If it's not, either buy a warranty or find a CPO car at your local Volvo dealer.
  • Options
    I have an '04 2.5T AWD that is going strong at 80,000 mi. I know a family with an '04 T6 of similar mileage that has had a couple problems relating to the engine but seem happy with it. I've heard of a few XC90s over 100,000 mi. Considering that the first models were introduced in late '02 there are not going to be many beyond that mileage so we don't really know about the longevity. I suspect the complicated electronics and extensive plastics will become nagging and expensive problem areas after 10 years but, of course, that is true of any of today's cars. At least Volvo builds them with recycling in mind. ;)

The T6 had a poorly matched transmission but if it was driven conservatively and maintained well there is no great cause for alarm. Just make sure all the recalls have been performed and that the mechanic verifies there are no leaks or creaks, and that every system is to spec and works as intended. Test every door, seat and switch personally. If it pans out, enjoy!
  • Options
    Tires are a set of tradeoffs of which the UTQG ratings only scratch the surface. Good for a rough comparison but nothing more. The XC90 is a heavy, premium car that needs good quality tires of a specific size, load range and speed range to make the investment worthwhile. Some of the tires people buy for cost and long wear are poor matches. There are many more tires to choose from today than a few years ago. Choose wisely because tires are one of the most important components of the car in terms of handling, safety and ride.
  • Options
    buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    Not sure if this is where I should post this. If not, please pardon me.

My lease will end in 10 months. A month ago, I was told by the dealer that I need new tires. It only has 28K miles. I've had it since summer of '05. As far as I can tell, the tires appear to be okay. I did the "penny" test and it passed it. Question: When I return at lease end, am I obligated to replace the tires? I would rather not spend the money on tires if I don't have to since I'm not keeping it. I can't find anything on the contract that say I have to. Of course I didn't go through the contract with a fine tooth comb. You know how "exciting" reading those legalese are.
  • Options
    If the tires are under 4/32's at lease end. The lease co will bill you for a new set of tires.
  • Options
    Susan,
    Do not panic, and definitely, do not feel like an idiot :)
    We also have 2004 2.5T AWD w/7seats and have absolutely no problem @65K miles.

Just do not treat your XC90 as a sport coupe, and your are going to be fine.

But do buy an extended warranty.

Enjoy your ride.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. A few more questions come to mind. I'm assuming this isn't covered by the gap insurance, right? Is there a quick way to check if the tires are under 4/32? If I need to replace the tire, can I get the cheapest tire I can get or does it have to be the same or at least a comparable tire in terms of rating, tread life, etc.? Like what I said, I don't really want to spend that much money for something I'm not keeping.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Tire Rack has a good page with photos:

Measuring Tire Tread Depth with a Coin

But it would be easier (and likely more accurate) just to swing by a tire shop and ask a tech there to measure the tread for you with their depth gauge.

Most lease agreements require that tires be returned with at least 4/32″ of tread depth and that they be evenly worn, even though most US state laws say tires aren't worn out until the depth gets to 2/32."

I'd ask the dealer for a price quote on new tires and shop around, get a quote from Tire Rack, etc. The dealer may surprise you with a good quote.

I think most leases require replacements with original equipment spec'd tires too, so the size and speed ratings, etc. should match.
  • Options
    Gap ins only covers the difference between the payoff of the car and what your ins co will pay if it is totaled.
    Nothing more.

You do not have to have the same brand of tires as when the car was new.
    However, they have to be the same type of tire.
  • Options
    thanks so much everyone! it's not a volvo cpo but the dealer offers an extended warranty. is there another way to get an extended warranty besides through the dealer i'm purchasingn from???

bigeddy: thanks for the info. what does a 'poorly matched transmission' mean? i'm no gearhead! :blush: Also, do you know a way to determine if all recalls were performed...i've learned there were a few for this model/yr but the carfax says 'no outstanding recalls'.

thanks again,
    susan
  • Options
    The T6 has a 4-speed GM transmission that was selected primarily because it fit in the engine compartment with Volvo's transverse (sideways) mounted engine. Unfortunately, the energetic twin-turbo T6 can overstress the transmission so Volvo had to program things to prevent that from happening. This, in turn, contributed to some drivability problems at low speeds where the shifting was delayed and it hurt fuel economy in city driving. The smaller and less powerful 2.5T engine is better matched to a 5-speed transmission and can actually beat a T6 from a standing start. The T6 is better at highway passing speeds, though. When these engines were offered the rule-of-thumb was to pick the 2.5T if your driving was mostly urban stop-and-go, and to pick the T6 for open highways.

As far as recalls go, the dealer should be able to tell which ones applied and when they were done by plugging the car's ID number into Volvo's computer database. Also, there are TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) that correct design or manufacturing problems and are generally done only when the car owner complains of a problem (for example, the infamous rusty lug bolts). There are several websites that list recalls and TSBs.
  • Options
    The OEM tires (Michelin Pilot HX MXM4) had the following specs:
    Size: 235/60VR18; Load Index: 102 (1874 lbs/tire); Speed rating: V (149 mph); Treadwear: 300; Traction: A; Temperature: A

Possible replacement I found (Kumho Road Venture APT KL51) has the following specs:
    Size: 235/60VR18; Load Index: 103 (1929 lbs/tire); Speed rating: V (149 mph); Treadwear: 600; Traction: A; Temperature: A

This is how both tires are listed in tirerack.com. Would this be an acceptable replacement? I know the specs are very similar. I just want to make sure because there's a couple of differences. Would this be considered the "same type of tire"?

The Michelins are $216 per tire while the Kumhos are $103 per tire. If the Kumho is an acceptable replacement, I think my decision is set.

What do you think, volvomax?
  • Options
    KUMHO'S are perfectly acceptable.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advise, volvomax. Much appreciated!
  • Options
    jules81480jules81480 Member Posts: 23
    Quick question:
    Is there a link or section where I could get information on when the XC90 is going to change its model?
    Is that public information? I would hate to purchase a car to have the model change the year after.
  • Options
    fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    If you were a car company would you tell potential customers a year or two ahead of time when you were upgrading your models so sales in the mean time could dry up? No...I didn't think so. ;-)

The rumor is 2010, but nobody, least of all dealers or car rags, knows for sure.
  • Options
    jules81480jules81480 Member Posts: 23
    How much does the DVD entertainment system add to the resale value of this car?
    I guess there is that incentive going on about the free DVD/etc. package.
    If I don't have kids, do I really need this feature? I just can't see paying for something that I will probably not use more than once or so..
  • Options
    It is 2010.
  • Options
    skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    Anyone get an extended warranty on your Volvo? If so, please provide details. Any advice on where to get the best deals on them?
  • Options
    gambiamangambiaman Member Posts: 131
    According to a CNN article today it says the 2010 update has been canceled and the XC90 will be discontinued in 2012. It says this decision was made due the fact Volvo did not have a hybrid drive to install in the XC90. According to the article Volvo denied any such plans. I would copy and paste the paragraph here but don't know if that is allowed. Title was "Death of the SUV."
    Em
  • Options
    Why wouldn't Volvo continue the XC90, but just limit the powerplant to the 2.4L diesel? Are the Volvo diesels capable of meeting US emissions with ULSD by adding emissions controls like Mercedes Bluetec and whatever VW will be using when it begins offering diesels again in the US in 2008?

For me a small, fuel efficient, and relatively clean diesel would be preferable to a hybrid. On the Volvo UK site gives the following data on the XC90 AWD "D5" 2.4L 5-cyl diesel (136kW = 182 hp, torque 400N-m):

6-spd Manual tranny-- City: 10.7 L/100km, or 22 mpgUS); Highway: 6.9 L/100km or 34 mpgUS, CO2 carbon emission is 219 g/km.

Geartronic Auto tranny-- City 20 mpgUS, highway 32 mpg, CO2 carbon 239 g/km

In contast the 3.2L 6-cyl gasoline engine emits CO2 carbon of 289 g/km and tested at mpg city/highway: 13.7 mpgUS/25.5 mpgUS.
  • Options
    Not true.
    The new XC90 will arrive in 2012.
    The FIRST version of the new car was voted down, because it was too close to the current car.
    The 2nd version is greenlighted.
  • Options
    So how will the redesigned XC90 differ from the current XC90? I suppose it will get better fuel economy--so lighter and with better aerodynamics?

Is there any prospect of Volvo selling diesels in the US? I gather that the 2.4L 5-cyl diesel engine is now available in Australia, whereas it used to be available only in Europe. Could it be that Volvo cannot produce enough diesel engines to satisfy the strong demand in Europe and the US? Or is it they Volvo doesn't want to spend the money to get the emissions to satisfy US requirements? Could it be that with US emissions controls the mpg would be significantly lowered and that this would make it less attractive?

I like our XC90 3.2, but the mpg is not as high as I would like. I wonder if Volvo will produce a software flash that would increase fuel efficiency? I am about to change the oil for the first time and am going to use Mobile1 0W-40 "European Car formula". I hope that will improve the mpg, especially on short trips intown.
  • Options
    I haven't seen anything on the new XC90,so I could only speculate.

Volvo will be offering the new uprated D5 diesel engine in the US in approx 1.5 yrs.
    Maybe sooner,if they can.
    DO NOT use the European mpg estimates though.
    Case in point, the Mercedes E320 Diesel is rated at 42mpg in Europe, yet the US EPA says it does 32 mpg here,both figures are highway.

As for your mileage, no software is going to change that, nor will oil.
    You have a 4500 lb car, powered by a 235hp gasoline engine
    Simple physics limits how efficent that setup is going to be.
    If you do alot of short town trips, the engine is constantly accelerating,braking and accelerating again. It never gets to run at a continual rpm, or at a continual speed where the engine isn't working as hard.
    The diesel will be more efficent,plus the next XC90 will more than likely have some form of intergrated starter/generator which shuts the engine of when the car is stopped,much like a hybrid does.
  • Options
    In the UK, Canada, Australia, etc., (and maybe in continental Europe when "gallons" are being used), it is the Imperial gallon (galUK) which is used, and this is approx. 20% larger than a US gallon. 1 galUK = 1.201 galUS. So divide any UK mpg figures by 1.2 to get the equivalent mpgUS value.

But from the Mercedes UK website I see that the 42 mpg you refer to is actually 42 mpgUS = 50 mpgUK!

This is such a large difference that it makes me think that the test procedures are different and the engine controls must be different. The US diesels must have different engine controls.

Normally in Europe the fuel efficiency is given in L/100km. To convert between L/100km and mpgUS divide whichever one you have into 235. To convert between L/100km and mpgUK divide whichever one you have into 282.

So 42 mpgUK converts to 282/42 = 6.71 L/100km

And 6.71 L/100km converts to 235/6.71 = 35 mpgUS.
  • Options
    The testing criteria is no doubt different.
    Also, the emmissions sytems probably are as well, and that can cause different results as well.
  • Options
    truffles1truffles1 Member Posts: 20
    I want to report after one month of ownership of two new XC90's. Originally they were identified by my wife for safety issues, but I like a car that drives well. Coming from a very reliable, but boring 2005 Highlander, the Volvos are like a breath of fresh air. I like the fact that they are in the 6th year of production, have sorted early tire issues, have a nonturbo inline-6 and a Japanese manufactured transmission. While no rocket, the six is a sweet sounding engine and the interior and exterior assembly is flawless. After having visited the New England Auto Show several weeks ago, I realized why I really like this car: its simple ergonomic layout is brilliant. After sitting in numerous Japanese SUV's, I walked away with a slight headache. Chrome everywhere, unmatched shapes and textures, bright colors. The Volvo's design, while clearly not for everyone, is one that has endured for six years. Material selection, simple, yet intuitive dials, and an excellent seating position are winners. Hopefully the reliability, while not at the Toyota level, will be acceptable. No, I am not a Volvo salesman. Early on, though, I understand why the original 2003 design, tweaked a bit every year, endures.
  • Options
    rashidirashidi Member Posts: 18
    The 3rd is extremely useful for us, although a bit tight. I am 5'8" with a bad back and sat with reasonble comfort in the 3rd row for 3.5hrs non-stop (Md. to N.Y).

My wife (5'2") frequently ends up in the 3rd row with another family member of similar height. The only time we "couldn't" use the 3rd, was for installing a toddler car seat. My 2 year old would not have any space for his feet because the car seat hits the back of the second row.

Mind you, getting to the 3rd is tricky and sometimes is easier by hopping from the rear hatch.
  • Options
    twig2twig2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, just purchased XC90 with 69,000 miles (2003) and am very pleased. However, there was no owners manual. I can't figure out how to get that middle seat out of the vehicle!! Obviously I need that manual. How do I get one without mortgaging the house? Thanks.
  • Options
    bryangmdbryangmd Member Posts: 27
    There are several on ebay. Theya are about $20.

link title