Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Hi All

I have a 95 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.2 litre. i am trying to replace the front shocks on it and i am stumped. how do you get the shock out? do the coil springs need to come out? i noticed where the top shock bolt is there is 3 bolts and i am not sure if that's the shock tower or the bolts holding the spring in. any help would be appreciated.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    Did you mean 6k miles. If he has 60k miles on a truck that isn't 1yr old, I'd like to know where he's been driving(lol).

The Cummins is a very tight engine when new, which means the fuel economy will not be best when new, but I've owned 12 CTD's in the past 15 years, and this is the first time I've experienced this. I also thought it could be the new lo-sulfur diesel that's dragging my economy, but who knows.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497
    Let's bolster the MPG: Dodge Ram Real World Numbers discussion with questions about fuel economy :)

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• kilsterkilster Posts: 55
    Just for your info, I just serviced his truck today, 62k miles, was bought in December. We haul campers and boats. His an 06 mega 62k, I run part time, I have a 05 quad bought last July and pushing 30k already and 2 other friends one an 03 quad dually with 285k miles and the other 05 quad with 192k miles. Trust me these trucks dont sit still long, and I have to service all of them. We put the truck thru there paces and really no major problems but one. Bad fuel on the 03, killed the injectors and fuel system. Most all of them are getting 12-15 loaded and anywheres from 17-21 unloaded.
  • I am having the same problem with my 2001 1500 4x4 off-road. It has happened twice, the first time i started it up, backed out of my drive way, and it dies. then it wouldn't start. It would turn very strong but not start. The next morning it started right up. It ran perfect for about a month. I went out this morning and it has happened again. I took it to my dodge dealer for service after the first time and they said everything was fine with the fuel pump and everything. Any help?
  • Hey, i am having the same problem with my truck not starting. This is the second time actually. It will turn very strong but just won't start. I had it serviced and they checked the fuel pump and found nothing. They were stumpped because none of my engine lights are on. The first time it happened, it wouldn't turn and then the next morning i went out and it started right up and ran fine till now wich is a month later. Any Help???
  • dahuberdahuber Posts: 53
    Top three bolts hold the shock retainer. The shock can be changed separate from the spring-the spring will not need to come out. One large bolt on bottom can be REAL difficult to get out.

BTW, I changed from the OEM to Edelbrock IAS last year on my 01 Ram 1500 and have been pleased with the upgrade.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    Is this the original transmission? If yes, the truck was probably never used for any serious towing. Otherwise it would be on at least second transmission now. If it is the original, in all probablility it will need an overhaul soon.
  • joepcar2joepcar2 Posts: 2
    try having someone check the crank and camshaft sensors
  • davelyonsdavelyons Posts: 1
    Okay this truck has had 3 tranny's crank and cam sensor replaced twice, new main computer, and new upshift solnoid and some other electrical parts inside the tranny.

But the problem is still here.

It is stalling under power in forward gear and it is worst when turning left. This truck could run all day in reverse without any problems. When we replaced the upshift solnoid two weeks ago ran great for a week and now is starting all this stuff all over again.

I am thinking it is electrical problem (Shorting) going to the tranny is there a wiring harness somewhere hidden. This truck has been nothing but problem since it was bought new in 96 only has 145,000 miles
  • dodgefandodgefan Posts: 3
    The trouble here is that the ABS and Brake warning lights on our Dodge Ram stays on constantly. The engine dies when we're slowing or about to come to a complete stop. The fuel gauge and speedometer are not functioning properly. Any info on the matter will be appreciated.
  • bigred11bigred11 Posts: 3
    So I think I have it figured out. Its all about the wiring of the ignition wires. If they are too close together then they will interfere with one another. here is the article from chrysler and a step by step wiring order of how they should be:
    http://autorepair.about.com/cs/faqs/l/bl654h.htm

I tried re-wiring them and it worked for a shortwhile before it started missing again, so I at least touched on the problem, im going to keep trying.
  • trip210trip210 Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem that turned out to be a bad battery of all things. Engine would turn over but not start. It would start occasionally if I gave it gas, but died as soon as I let off. Hope your fix is as simple.
  • ahavensahavens Posts: 6
    I had all of the same problems on my 1999 (Except the fuel gauge). The ABS and brake warning lights, as well as the speedometer, were taken care of by replacing the rear wheel speed sensor (Which you can only get from a dealer), and the stalling was fixed by replacing the fuel pump.
  • dimsterdimster Posts: 10
    Hello

I have a 2004 1500/ 4.7 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Truck. I have a 3" body lift and have leveled the front end. I have a 3:90 rear end gear/ 285/70/ 17 tires and have K&N Performance air filter systems installed. My loss of power occurs during hot weather. Just going up the slightest of inclines causes my truck to loose power and shift into high gear. Sometimes on a straight stretch of road with a small head wind my truck will loose power and shift about 15 times during a twenty mile stretch. I have noticed during cool weather and during the evening hours, the truck runs like a champ. What can I do to correct this problem and is all the shifting bad for my automatic trans ? I was considering buying a performance computer to try to remedy the problem. I really love my truck but I have come to the conclusion if nothing can solve my problem then my last measure is just to trade it in...
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I read also that the idle speed control could be a factor for the dying of the engine. Do you have any idea how much these parts cost(rear wheel speed sensor and idle speed control? And where can I find information on how to change these parts. Thanks for your time.
  • tommy77_1tommy77_1 Posts: 3
    I have an 02 1500 Quad 2WD with 34k miles on it and I am getting a rear brake squeak when I accelerate after stopping. It only happens for a few seconds. I just replaced rotors and pads and noticed that the parking brake pads and hardware were extremely rusty and was wondering if anyone else was having this problem and if they were able to find a fix. I lubricated the #$#$ out of the P brake hardware and it has helped some but still get the problem.
  • billiard1billiard1 Posts: 2
    Your relay should be in your fuse box under the hood. Open up the fuse box and on the cover it will label where to find the relay with corresponding numbers. Hope this helps.
  • ahavensahavens Posts: 6
    I had the rear wheel speed sensor shipped to me from the dealer, and I think total cost (shipping and all) was under 50 bucks. No idea about the idle speed control. As far as changing the speed sensor, it's easy. It plugs right into the top of your rear differential. All you have to do is disconnect a cable and remove a shield and then yank the old one out and replace with the new one. it's been a while, so I may be leaving a step or two out, but it shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes. Hope it helps.
    Ok, thanks for the info. It is appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.