Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• dpcooneydpcooney Posts: 1
    Hope someone can help. I have a 1995 dodge ram with a bad left front hub bearing seal. Haynes manual tells me to take it to a garage because this requires special tools, and chiltons mentions several different types of axles and tools required. I would like to repair this myself. Any tips or actual tools needed would be helpful.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    I like to use the Factory Service Manual rather than Haynes, Chiltons etc. You can access it for $25 @ year. Check posts #1338 and #1341 for more information.
  • I have a 2001 diesel 3500. I am not getting any sound from the speakers. The radio was working fine until I pulled the dash to change the heater core. Heres what I know: The radio works fine in another vehicle, I ohmed out the connections for the radio. all speakers ohm out. I have power on Battery and Accessory wire. I do have the black wire with blue stripe hooked to tabs on back of radio. This goes to ground but I understand it is used to turn on the internal amp? All components in the radio come on, clock, cd, stations, etc. Just no sound! Pleas help.
  • harryiharryi Posts: 10
    Thanks for the suggestion Dodge2 i'll give that a try, its driving me crazy other than that runs great, Thanks again appreciate it
    Harryi
  • alliedallied Posts: 1
    We had an accident with a 1995 Dodge 2500... the ball joint broke off on the left front suspension, causing the wheel to fall off. The driver lost control and the vehicle then crossed over into oncoming traffic. No one was seriously hurt.

The vehicle had been purchased 8 months earlier and had a Safety Inspection done at that time. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Was this a problem with the 2500?
  • travisttravist Posts: 1
    Hi Harry,My name is travis and i also have a 97 ram 1500 and it does the exact same thing as yours did. As soon as i let off the gas it dies on me, then again sometimes it will go a year between problems. I was wondering if you had anyone reply to your problem or if you had to take it in to a mechanic. If you could pass along the cure for this aggravating problem i would really appreaciate it. My e-mail is tatomison@comcast.net. thank you very much.
  • olson99olson99 Posts: 3
    I have a 96 ram 1500 with 130000 miles, it started last summer overheating whenever it went up hills, never getting to the red in the guage but getting very close, i've changed the water pump, the thermostat and flushed the radiator, still has the problem does anyone have a solution or have gone through this same problem?
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    Yes, I've seen this symptom many times. If you've flushed the cooling system my first suspect would be the radiator. You could have a problem with the transmission overheating the coolant, but that's pretty rare on a Mopar in my experience. A semi-blocked catalytic converter can do the same thing, but you'd also notice a loss of power.

Check the radiator for any signs of loose or corroded cooling fins. There shouldn't be any. If so my bet is the radiator is bad.

Good luck,
    Dusty
  • olson99olson99 Posts: 3
    that was my dad's guess he thought that it might need a bigger radiator instead of the stock one.
  • I HAVE AN 04.5 RAM 2500 ,6" LIFT 37" BFG'S ,IT HAS A VIBRATION STARTING AT 60 MPH THAT DISAPPEARS AT 70 MPH. DOESN'T DO IT WITH OVERDRIVE DISENGAGED.FEELS LIKE IM DRIVING ON VIBRATION STRIPS.
  • ziegyziegy Posts: 3
    I have the same problem but it is always the tires. Off-road tires usually have to be balanced and rotated every 3-6,000 miles or they will start to vibrate especially at freeway speeds.
    I have a 97 Ram 1500 w/ 5.9l. I was letting it idle yesterday and it shut off just like it ran out of gas. It cranks and cranks but no fire. I put more gas in and still no fire. I read somewhere that this can be the fuel pump relay. I remember something about switching it to AC or something? Any ideas?
    I had the same problem with my 97 at 100k. Have the Cat Converter checked along with the O2 sensors. Fixed mine right up. You might be getting and upstream when you should be getting a downstream. This can cause blowback and eventually bust your rings.
  • jdleejdlee Posts: 1
    Does anybody have the lamp out light coming on and off and the chime keeps going on and off. I took it to the dealership and they said they could not figure it out.
  • cincyjimcincyjim Posts: 1
    I have a ram 1500 with the 5.2 L. Anyone ever get a spark plug stuck in its "sleeve"? Can't seem to get the 5/8 deep well over it to remove it. Almost looks like some rust may have gotten around the sleeve and pushed it inward at the base. If I could remove the sleeve that would also solve the problem as then I could get the socket around the plug but it does not want to budge.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim
    The standard two-row core on Dodge trucks have plenty of radiator for cooling. The heavy duty cooling equiped versions are three-row.

I think you've just got a punky radiator.

Good luck,
    Dusty
    Ask your son if he's done any full-pedal drops into a drive gear, especially first.

It's very, very rare on a Mopar, but the clicking noise could be from a broken sun gear or input shaft.

Bests,
    Dusty
  • bighunkbighunk Posts: 1

I have a 1999 Dodge RAM Truck, 1500, 1/2 Ton, 2WD Pickup V8-360 5.9L in almost like new condition with 76000 miles on it.

I was enjoying myself, riding down the street, when suddenly all the instrument panal lights came on. The mileage indicator says NO BUS,
    and all the warning lights are on like a xmas tree, and the gas guage doesn't work.

That was 3 days ago, and they are still the same.

Other then that, my truck is running perfectly.

If you have had this problem, or know where I can find out information about this problem = please help me. I fiddled with it but couldn't solve the problem.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Do you know of any place I can look for a recall on bulletin about my problem.

Cajun

bluefly@cox.net

Almost guaranteed to be a bad connector or ground, either around the instrument panel or the PCM/ECU.
    Maybe a bad Central Timer Module?

Dusty
  • racinotoracinoto Posts: 1
    I have an 03 ram 1500 quad cab with a hemi. At times the truck runs like it hitting on 3 cylinders. On the interstate, I can barely do 40-50 mph when the problem exist. If I put it in neutral and get some rpm and put it back in gear, the problem is corrected. The dealer could find no problem and the problem could not be duplicated at the dealer. It rerecursnce every 3-4 month period. Could the problem be with the secondary coil, or for that matter the primary coil? Have you heard of anyone else with this type of problem. If yes, what's the fix. I know I CANNOT be the only one to experience this coconditionalthough the Chrysler rep says he never heard of this phphenomenon.elp if you can.
  • I have a 1999 Dodge Ram Quad cab, 5.9liter. I purchased it new and it currently has 110,000 miles.
    Within the last six months,
    The dasboard has cracked in 5 different places, The plastic piece that holds the ashtray in broke off, the plastic piece on the side of the glovebox that holds it in broke, the plastic latch on the little document holder up on the roof of the cab broke off, the plastic emergency brake release broke so now I just pull the brake cable manually.

And by coincidence, my neighbor had a 2000 Dodge Ram Quad Cab and the identical type of thing was happening to his interior. A 6 inch diameter chunck fell out of the top of the dashboard just above the stering wheel along with the dashboard spliting in numerous places similar to mine.

Question: is their a "root cause analysis" available with regards to this "ashes to ashes, dashboard to dust" scenario?
  • HELLO,
    IN RESPONSE TO EVERYONE'S POST, I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE GAS MILEAGE IT WAS VERY POOR. I HAVE 410'S IN THE REAR AND A STICK THATS BASICALLY 4 GEARS OVERDRIVEN. YOU JUST CANT COUNT FIRST GEAR, BUT ANYHOW WHEN I WAS PULLING A LOAD I FOUND THIS GREAT WEBSITE OUT THAT HELPED ME GET MY BETTER GAS MILES. IT WAS CALLED TOWINGWING.COM AND THEY HAVE WIND DEFLECTORS THAT DID TRUELY SAVE ME 10 PERCENT IN GAS AND IT LOOKS GREAT TOO! CHECK THEM OUT AND MAYBE IT WILL BRING THAT POOR MILEAGE UP!
    THANKS GUYS,
    ANTHONY
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,871
    Anthony, please turn off your CAPS lock. All caps is harder for folks to read and is generally considered to be yelling.

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• 99dodge99dodge Posts: 15
    Turns over but wont Start I have plenty of fuel pressure. I have spark at the coil and I checked power at the injectors all good there any one else had this problem.could it be crank sensor or fuel pressure regulator. Or is it Just MEEEEEEEE
    Are the plugs wet? If they are it's a spark problem, if they're dry it's a fuel problem.
  • 99dodge99dodge Posts: 15
    It is a spark problem,changed the crank sensor still nothing.headed for the distributor if It stops raining.
  • kc8ennkc8enn Posts: 1
    I have a 99 RAM with the Cummins and I currently have and had a vibration between 65mph & 75mph. The first time a UV joint on the drive shaft failed. This not only caused a vibration, but it cracked the transmission housing as well. Since then (over a year) my transfer case will show a little oil at the seams, but nothing major. Recently the vibration came back and now the transfer case is leaking more severely. I have not been able to find any loose UV joints or snap rings and the transmission seems fine. I spoke to a couple companies that remanufacture these transmissions and it was suggested that I may want to get my drive shafts balanced. I am also looking at a transfer case swap.
  • trkownrtrkownr Posts: 2
    I have had a similar experience. However, I only hear the sound. And I am also wondering with is going on.
  • trkownrtrkownr Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 3/4 with a 411 rear end. I have had shifting problems recently and in the past. In the past I took it to the dealership and they replace the computer and it fixed the problem. Now it seems like at around 40 mph the transmission doesn't want to kick it up to the next gear and go faster. Some times it shifts up, down, up down, until I finally go fast enough that it stops. When I am going about 30 and hit the accelerator. Instead of going faster. The transmissions shifts down. To a lower gear. Help!
This discussion has been closed.