Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• kwarren2kwarren2 Posts: 11
    So if I can find the wire leading out of the column O/D switch I can toggle the overdrive by grounding it to chassis? Does it simply toggle with each high to low transition or is it an active-high/low signal? Is there input protection at the PCM? I would hate to blow an input.

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    The check light isn't exclusively for a loose gas cap!

Go to a local AutoZone to have any codes read (free), which should point you in the right direction to find the problem.
  • shineshine Posts: 20
    I currently have a 2004 2500 4x4. I have 45,000 miles on it and about ready to trade anyway and wonder if I could see any mpg improvement with small 8 or would I have to start looking at Ford and GM. I really love my QC but 11.3 mpg is just too much. Any help
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Are you familiar with the key-cycling procedure to get codes? Insert the key into the ignition, and turn it as follows: On (not START), Off (not LOCK), On, Off, On. Codes will appear in your odometer reading... trouble codes will start with the letter P followed by a number if any have been logged. You can give these codes to your dealer and they can usually tell you what the issue is before you come in.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • melonmelon Posts: 1
    My 94 1500 stalls Will not start. Leave it 15 min.Runs fine.It stalls at idle.Any ideas?It has 11500 miles and a 360.
  • Hi everyone, I just bought a 96 1500 w/ 112000 miles on it 9 months ago. 3 weeks ago it would not start so it ended up at the shop and somehow it started for the mechanic and ran fine ever since. This morning I had the same problem but manage to start it after accidentally stump on the gas paddle a few times. I am suspecting fuel pump but the machanic put it on the scope the last time and it said nothing is wrong. There is also the strange clicking noise from under the hood,
    sounded like some sort of relay switch going on & off; this clicking noise is very consistant(20-30second apart). Is that clicking normal? Any help would be greatly
    appreciated....Simon :cry:
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    Well, I don't know for sure if there's protection on the signal lines, but I suspect so. Otherwise any short would wipe out a PCM. That is too likely a possibility on an automobile.

The signal in question is simply a toggle. Since it already works against chassis ground I'm sure this signal line is safe to ground out.

Good luck,
    Dusty
  • amyed137amyed137 Posts: 1
    I have a 96 1500 also. The only time I here that noise you are talking about is when
    I have the a/c or defrost on. So, it must have something to do with a relay switch or something when those things are on
  • jly535jly535 Posts: 1
    Just started this week, will run for 5 minutes sometimes and 30 minutes sometimes then dies. Have air cleaner off can see gas spraying into throttle body but just suddenly shuts down. Replace fuel filter,and bought fuel pump but don't want to replace it until I narrow it down. Any other suggestions.
  • mnicholsmnichols Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 with auto trans and 4.7 v-8. It has a little over 40,000 miles and it is used for a daily commuter and towing a 6000 pound camper with which I've done for about 7000 miles. Mod's I've done are: rear air helper springs, headers, volant air intake and gibson exhaust.
    The vibration starts when I'm accelerating and also cruising on the highway with engine rpm between 1500 to 2000. It's a low level vibration that cannot be dublicated with simply reving the motor. everything seems tight and nothing seems to have fallen off including tire weights for balancing. The dealership has told me that it is just the nature of the truck.
    Any Ideas?
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Since this is the Ram pickups discussion, you'll probably get a faster response over in this discussion: Full Sized Vans

kcram - Pickups Host
  • jquinnjquinn Posts: 1
    Does anyone have winter issues with their brake pedal being goofy during the cold months?
    When it gets cold here in Chicago,my brakes have what I would call an excessive amount of travel at the beginning of the application,I get about 3-4 inches of travel where nothing happens.It can get scary when this happens,my Dodge dealer is guessing at what causes this,I replaced the master cyl and it went away for a while (week),now they think it might be the vacuum booster,also a big money item to change,bad boosters usually give you a hard peddle,right,.. Truck is a 98 2wd V6 with 54,000 on it. Its been doing this for at least 3 years, and at least 3 sets of brakes,,,,,anyone else have a problem like this? :confuse:
  • tullytully Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 quad cab with the 47re Transmission wile towing my trailer i tried to put it in 4 wheel drive and the main shifter hung up in second gear, the transfer case shifts fine but i can't get this thing into park. Help
  • Hi I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Hemi (Jenny's little Hemi) I love the truck my only encounter with trouble has bee the engine light coming on. Called the dealer told me to check the gas cap and that light would go out in a day or two. Well it didn't so I pulled the battery cable... that reset the light but two days later it came on again. Called dealer by this time it had started to drop RPM when foot was off the gas and stall if you weren't paying close attention. Made appointment for truck to go in told them it was the EGR Valve there is a service bulletin about this problem. Know a couple other Dodge fans had the same trouble. Anyway dealer fixed it for free but I think part of that was I knew the problem and told them of the service bulletin before they even looked at the truck.
    :O) Happy again with my flaming red baby!
    http://www.alldata.com/TSB/17/021777F0.html this should give you a list of service bulletins wasn't sure if you had the 4x4 or just the Plain Jane.
    Clearing the code like that works ok, but reading the code to see what the problem might be is a better course of action. Autozone will do it free.
  • You are correct on the A/C, as it turned out. It is the a/c unit kicking in & out. Have you any idea on how to test the relay?
  • Hey Dusty, the toggle that you are talking about is a relay right? Do you have any
    idea on how to test the relay?
    It's probably kicking in and out because the thermostat is telling it to. Turn it fully 'OFF' in the cab and see if it still does it.
  • I have the same issue with my 01 truck 4.7 liter w/45rfe trans. I have asked the guys in the trans lab here at chrysler and awaiting feedback.
  • I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L. When I push the pedal for a little extra exceleration especially from a full stop I hear almost like a popping noise coming from the engine. It only seems to happen when I hit push the gas pedal harder than normal. Anyone have any insight as to why it makes that sound and what I can do to fix it?

Also one other question, how often should I use the overdrive? For example I assume I should take it off when first starting up and should turn it on once I reach 50-55 miles per hour. Should I turn overdrive off everytime I get below 50-55 mph or just when I come to a complete stop?
  • paulrdwpaulrdw Posts: 1
    I own a 99' Dodge Ram 2500. I've had it for about a year now, I'm the second owner and have had scheduled maintenance and have been continuing a log that has been passed to me from the last owner. Zero problems with it until recently when my "check engine" light came on. It was almost due for an oil change so I did it early, checked all fluid levels and they were good, but engine light is still on. After moving it to the street, I noticed a water trail trailing out. I looked underneath and the muffler appeared to be leaking?? Never have I run into muffler problems, truck averages 13 mpg as usual, no other noises, idles fine. Is this a sign that my muffler needs replaced?? Juneau, AK is a very wet region of the world. Maybe rainwater is getting in somehow?? Any ideas??
  • murhumurhu Posts: 1
    In 1998 I factory ordered a 1500 Dodge Ram 4x4 with the idea that I would own a reliable vehicle. This truck has had the luxury of never being abused, never carried a
    heavy load, never been in the bush, has had all the preventative maintenance done on time, and has always been stored in a garage when not in use. This truck is 7 years old BUT has only 70,000 Km (40000 mi), it looks new, But the motor DIED with no warning for no apparent reason. I notified Chrysler, hoping that they would assume some responsibily for what is apperant to be a lemon, and I was flatly denied, even though all my maintenance records checked out.
    MY MESSEGE TO YOU ALL, IF YOU HAVE ONE GET RID OF IT, IF YOU ARE THINKING OF BUYING ONE DON'T BOTHER. CHRYSLER HAS NO CONCEPT OF SERVICE AFTER THE SALE....NEVER BUY CHRYSLER AGAIN
    Mmmm.....................................so because your forty thousand mile, seven year old Ram developed a problem, all Ram owners should dispose of their trucks and no one should consider buying one ever again?????

I know this forum is for problems and solutions, but don't you think you're taking it a little far?

So, what caused the engine to 'DIE'? Could be anything from a loose wire to a rod through the block from the information you've given us so far!
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    You obviously only drive very short trips, or very occassional trips which is the worst possible way to operate an engine. I would take one that has average miles (90-100k miles) and been worked hard before buying one that has sat and/or only used for short rips.

If you think any manufacturer is going to approve warranty work 4 years after it ends.....you've obviously not had much experience with this type of thing. This motor could have 9,000 hours on it for all anyone knows.
  • peppep Posts: 4
    My 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 Auto Trans. Runs hotter then normal going uphill, I have replaced the fun clutch, but still get hot.

PLEASE HEEEEELP
    ".......I have replaced the fun clutch........."

Don't think I've ever come across one of those! Still there's lots more you can do.

Simplest is to clean the outside of the radiator in case it's blocked with bugs or dirt. Use a garden hose and squirt from the back to the front. Access is easy on a Ram.

Next, flush the inside of the cooling system, replace the thermostat and gasket, then refill with fresh coolant and treat it to a new pressure cap.

There are other things to check if that doesn't fix it, but I think that doing the above, together with the new fan clutch, will likely fix the problem.
    Thanks Mac.
    The original engine was replaced at 82000 miles because over heating problem
    (crack head & #1 cyl.) They install new thermostat end coolant.
    This new engine has only 12000 miles.
    Do you think it may be the timing?
    "Do you think it may be the timing?"

Possibly, but I doubt it. Timing is computer controlled and doesn't usually change on its own.

Has it done this from the time it was installed?
This discussion has been closed.