Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• dbeatydbeaty Posts: 1
    I also have a problem with my 2000 1500 stalling. When it does stall, my odometer reads "NO BUS".How did you fix your "NO BUS" problem?
  • nova74nova74 Posts: 3
    I own a 2002 Dodge Ram Sport single cab with the 4.7. It has about 35,000 miles and is a great truck. However, I have noticed a whistling noise that comes from the engine compartment. It does not happen at idle, just at RPM's over 1,500. I have taken it to the dealer a number of times and every time they say its the pulley idler arm and replace it. That will fix the problem until I get in my driveway, but it eventually the noise starts again. I have no idea where the noise is coming from. Maybe a vacume leak???? I don't know, but its very annoying.
    Please Help, Russ
  • Lost my owner's manual and I'm trying to program the Home Link (Garage Door opener) for my 05 2500 Laramie. Any info would be appreciated,

Thanks
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    Pulley idler arm? I think I know what this may be, but check the play on the clutch fan. There should be absolutely none. If there is this could be the source of the noise. It was on mine.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • trigger2trigger2 Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 2003 Dodge Ram 4X2 Quad Cab 4.7L V8. It doesn't have a smooth idle. It's not terribly rough, but it's not as smooth as I think it should be. I've noticed that it idles around 500 to 600 rpm. Shouldn't it be idling around 750 to 850 rpm? I'm wondering if that is why it idles slightly rough. Also, two times after recently cranked, the truck struggled to stay cranked. It started bogging down and choked down once. The second time it almost choked down, but at the last second, the engine automatically revved up to about 1,500 rpm by itself and settled back down. What could be causing this? Dealer cleaned throttle body - Said there was carbon buildup, but this did not fix problem. One last thing...When accelerating after cranked, there is a loud noise and lack of power. Then after about 5-10 seconds of accelerating, engine sounds normal. Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks.
  • uahoguahog Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Ram 1500 V-6. When it gets to about 50-55 mph on the highway it makes a loud rattle before the engine "kicks in" to go up hills. Once you give it gas and it "kicks in" the noise quits. Any ideas!! Thanks for your help.
  • kwarren2kwarren2 Posts: 11
    Is it strictly with engine RPM or does it appear to be more correlated to how much the throttle pedal is depressed? Mine also makes a whistling noise that seems more prominent at low speeds but this may be because of competing noises at high speeds - but anyway, it whistles quite a bit when I depress the throttle. if I back off (like coming to a stoplight) it is totally gone. It's a high pitch and I haven't figured out of it is a metal-on-metal sound or a literally a whistling sound.
  • moneypit1moneypit1 Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a used 2001 5.9 turbo diesel 6 cyl. automatic with O.D. Drives like a dream. 5,000 miles later, the check engine light comes on. Within 80 miles, I take it to the dealer. There are no signs of a problem other than the A.C. does not seem to work as well as it did.
    The dealer has stated the fuel pump is going out and has taken the injector pump with it. The injector pump price (part only) is being quoted as $2,000.
    Total mileage on the vehicle is 120,000.
    I am shocked at the price (total quote of $3,000 to repair). Is this a standard range I have to deal with?
    If the pump was "going" out, wouldn't there be some sign....like not running smoothly?
    What is the recommended maintenance on fuel pumps and/or injector pumps.
    The dealer is waiting for a "go-ahead" and I feel like saying "keep it".
    moneypit1
  • nova74nova74 Posts: 3
    Now that I think about it, the whistling sound is correlated with the throttle, But the whistle does not start until about 1500 RPM. When cruising at any speed the sound does go away when pressure is let off the accelerator. However, I don't think it's a metal on metal sound. This weekend i'm going to the dealership and having them check the play in the clutch fan, i was told by Dusty that this could be the problem. This will be the 5th time.
  • rdaviesrdavies Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a new 2005 Ram 1500 quad cab with Hemi. From the get go I noticed a very audible vibration coming from the undercarriage of the vehicle while at idle (500 rpm). The vibration drone disappears as soon as the engine accelerates but immediarely returns once you come to a stop light and idle. My initial reaction is that it seems to be exhaust system related. The dealer has gone through the exhaust sustem checking the isolation hangers, heat shield etc and tell me it is OK. At this time they cannot pinpoint the root cause of this annoying vibration, although they acknowledge that it is not "typical".

Anyone with a similar experience and potential remedies would be appreciated. The truck only has 3000 miles on it but it currently sounds like it has 300,000 miles on it. Needless to say, I am a little disappointed.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
  • jdainesjdaines Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Ram 2500. I recently tried to transfer towing of a 24 foot cargo bumper pull trailer from my 97 Chevy to the Ram. While traveling on the freeway with the trailer empty I can't go over 55 miles per hour without experiencing significant sway with the trailer at the slightest wind. To the point where while going 65 a semi passed me and almost put me into a tail spin. I have had the hitch level checked and it is perfect. I have towed this particular trailer for the last 2 years, with other vehicles, without a single problem at highway speeds up to 75 mph empty and fully loaded. It does seem to be less of a problem when the trailer is fully loaded, however, It still does not feel right even at full capacity. It feels almost as if riding on ice.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • dennis10dennis10 Posts: 2
    Have a 2000 dodge 2500 diesel with 70k miles.Recently began to run like it was on only one cylinder.I shut off the engine,then restarted it,and it ran fine for awhile.Then the problem came back again, in shorter intervals.Now after two days,the engine will not start at all.Could this be fuel pump related?Any ideas?
  • mrbillmrbill Posts: 31
    Not a suspension mechanic here so before I bring my 04 Ram 1500 (Hemi) to the dealer, I am looking for information. recently noticed a "popping" sound from front drivers side suspension at low speed on bumps in the road. Popping as in something loose as I hit a bump. Shadetree mechanic inspection only found drivers side endlink from the swaybar has vertical slop, and I can recreate the popping sound by hand simply by pushing up and down on the sway bar from underneath. Seems like the rod is loose in the joint where it meets the frame (not the upper end where it connects to the swaybar). passenger side tight.. no vertical movement. This seems relatively minor, no other complaints on the rig.. but obviously I do want it tightened back up.
    Now the question - can I tighten/adjust this rod or is it best left to dealer/warranty work? if simple I will try it, otherwise I am planning on an appt next week, since thats what a warranty is for anyway.
    Thanks for any replies on this,
    Ahasher
  • My 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 has been shaking at highway speeds. It is not the tires as I had the old set balanced, then a new set I had recently mounted and also had other rims temporarily mounted. The truck still shakes. (So it's not the tires or rims.) The front end and steering wheel are pretty much solid and do not shake at all. I had 2 mechanics look at it the U joints are solid and the Ball joints are tight. The drive shaft is also solid. Could it be the tranny or rear end? The tranny seems ok and shifts without problems.I have also been hearing a woo woo woo sound @ around 30mph when I take my foot off the gas and coast you can really hear it. However there is no shake or vibration at that speed. Anyone have any ideas?
  • kennethm1kennethm1 Posts: 12
    i bought a base model (4x2 construction crew model i refer to it as) and it had what i assumed was a console. when i went to open it after the purchase (duh) i discovered it was simply a big square arm rest. i called to see about getting a console that would actually open up and was told the console and labor would be around $725 dollars. was wondering if anyone had any suggestions other than the friggin tupperware box i am using to store my things in. also, is there anyone out there that has the V6 that could report on the fuel consumption in the city and on the highway. if you would kindly refrain from reminding me how stupid i was for not having checked the console issue out prior to signing the deal that would be appreciated. i have already beat myself up enough lololol. it is the 05 regular cab with that black cloth interior should anyone have something in mind.
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Posts: 552
    Watch Ebay, they periodically have 40/20/40 high end seats for sale, some reasonably priced. Rick
  • Did you get a price for one without labor? If your handy, try looking at doing the install yourself. You could call around to some custom Van or auto places and see if they can either take the armrest you have and convert it or have them custom build you one. You could also call around to some junk yards and look to see if there are any totaled RAM 1500's sometimes they will part out vehicles that have been totaled by insurance companies. I would'nt have the dealership do it as they always charge an arm and a leg. Good luck, Bryan
  • ajgajg Posts: 1
    I have a RAM 1500, 1997, 5.2, 100,000+ miles. My radiator has started leaking, and when I call round a few places looking for a quote to fix it, I'm being told that a radiator is more or less a disposable part and that I need to get a new one. It doesn't feel very disposable at over $400! Is my radiator really not fixable? Any tips on what I can do to make a repair and not have to pay for a new radiator to be installed?
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    Try AutoZone or other auto parts places. Often times a new core will be cheaper than you will pay for a repair. Of course, this assumes you'll do the work yourself.

Good luck,
    Dusty
  • neojockneojock Posts: 2
    Hello Sir,
    I am having the same problem with my 03 Ram 1500. A whistling noise is coming from underneath the truck. This has been happpening for close to three months now. The dealership does not know what it is...any ideas? Vacuum leak? The noise only occurs when I accerlate, it is very annoying.

What is the play in the clutch fan?

Tony
  • neojockneojock Posts: 2
    I hear a whistling noise in my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500, standard transmission. Some people say it could be an air leak. it is driving me crazy, and it feels like I have lost some power in my truck, maybe it is just in my head cause I think it is an air leak.

The noise only happens when i am accelerating, it is loud, and it is driving me crazy.

Can annyone help me? Vacuum leak?

What is the play in the clutch fan?

HELP!
  • dodgeman1dodgeman1 Posts: 2
    I am also having this same problem with my 1999 1500 and I am really lost on what the problem is? Any ideals will be helpful.
  • dodgeman1dodgeman1 Posts: 2
    Thanks for this information! This is the best lead I have had in my NO BUS problem yet!
  • rfrd189rfrd189 Posts: 1
    Driving to work my brake and ABS light appeared on the dash. At the same time my speedometer went to zero. I heard no noise or felt any problem. I tested my brakes. I traveled on to work and called my dealer first thing that morning. He suggested for service to check out the problem. The brake and ABS light was attributed to the ABS magnetic sensor ring in the rear end disintegrating. My truck only has 43,200 miles. Estimate cost for the rear end repair is $1800.00 this is hard to swallow since I have been an avid owner of GM trucks. How extensive is this problem? The problem with the speedometer is a sensor, or so they tell me. I would appreciate any info or help on this. Is there any warranty help on this matter? What is the warranty for a 2002?
  • njobenjobe Posts: 1
    my 2004 Quad Cab 1500 definately has a mind of it's own. The steering has gone out on me 5 times in 15,000 miles. Last time it happened going about 55. I have to stop turn my car off and then on again. I have brought it to dodge twice. They replaced the steering column but they said that wasn't the problem. They can't figure out the problem, so they told me to just come grab my truck. Since they can't dublicate the problem there is no problem. I refuse to pick up my truck becasue I feel it is unsafe to drive, if anyone has any solutions that would be helpful
  • cpasqualicpasquali Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 dodge puick up which had new heads placed on it at 6000 miles. Dodge requested the dealership do the work. They said there was an improper fit between the valve stem and guide. The engine is just as noisy after the work was performed and the dealership stated that a service bulletin was issued for this problem. My only words to you is DO NOT purchase the truck with 05 hemi engine. Dodge doesn't stand behind what they sell.
  • fxdl2003fxdl2003 Posts: 1
    this has just happened to me. I have a 2003 1500 4X4. I too have noticed the lamp out coming on and off with the chime. It also chimes for no apparent reason w/o the lamp out light coming on. I too would like to know why this is so and if anyone has a solution to the problem
  • eldenejeldenej Posts: 7
    About a year ago, my '96 1500 started exhibiting a transmission shifting problem when the truck was initially started each day; that is, it shifted from second into third only at engine speeds above 2500 rpm. The colder the day, the longer it refuses to make the shift. It is getting progressively worse; today I drove for nearly a mile before the shift occurred. Once the engine/transmission are warm, however, all is normal, with shifts taking place around 1900 rpm. I've had the truck into the local Dodge dealer, who both acknowledges the problem and admits to having no clue regarding a solution except: "We need to open up the transmission and see what is going on." Estimated cost: "$2600." !! Before I let those guys go on a fishing expedition, I'd like very much to know if anyone out there can shed light on this disappointing development. The truck still seems nearly new, having been driven just over 50,000.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Before they do an "exploratory", have them do a simple leak check. My 96 3500 began hard shifting and losing trans fluid but I never had parking-space spots. Turned out the cooling lines (between the trans and rad/aux cooler) were the culprits, and fluid only flows through them when the vehicle is running. Replaced the lines (not cheap, but not 26 C-notes either) and shifting problem solved.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • vbrownvbrown Posts: 1
    Strange My 1999 Ram 1500 4X4 Did The Same Thing.Both Lights Are On And the Speedo Works After you Atain 25 Miles Per Hour. Did You Get Yours Fixed And How Thanks Vic Brown
This discussion has been closed.