Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L. When I push the pedal for a little extra exceleration especially from a full stop I hear almost like a popping noise coming from the engine. It only seems to happen when I hit push the gas pedal harder than normal. Anyone have any insight as to why it makes that sound and what I can do to fix it?

Also one other question, how often should I use the overdrive? For example I assume I should take it off when first starting up and should turn it on once I reach 50-55 miles per hour. Should I turn overdrive off everytime I get below 50-55 mph or just when I come to a complete stop?
  • paulrdwpaulrdw Posts: 1
    I own a 99' Dodge Ram 2500. I've had it for about a year now, I'm the second owner and have had scheduled maintenance and have been continuing a log that has been passed to me from the last owner. Zero problems with it until recently when my "check engine" light came on. It was almost due for an oil change so I did it early, checked all fluid levels and they were good, but engine light is still on. After moving it to the street, I noticed a water trail trailing out. I looked underneath and the muffler appeared to be leaking?? Never have I run into muffler problems, truck averages 13 mpg as usual, no other noises, idles fine. Is this a sign that my muffler needs replaced?? Juneau, AK is a very wet region of the world. Maybe rainwater is getting in somehow?? Any ideas??
  • murhumurhu Posts: 1
    In 1998 I factory ordered a 1500 Dodge Ram 4x4 with the idea that I would own a reliable vehicle. This truck has had the luxury of never being abused, never carried a
    heavy load, never been in the bush, has had all the preventative maintenance done on time, and has always been stored in a garage when not in use. This truck is 7 years old BUT has only 70,000 Km (40000 mi), it looks new, But the motor DIED with no warning for no apparent reason. I notified Chrysler, hoping that they would assume some responsibily for what is apperant to be a lemon, and I was flatly denied, even though all my maintenance records checked out.
    MY MESSEGE TO YOU ALL, IF YOU HAVE ONE GET RID OF IT, IF YOU ARE THINKING OF BUYING ONE DON'T BOTHER. CHRYSLER HAS NO CONCEPT OF SERVICE AFTER THE SALE....NEVER BUY CHRYSLER AGAIN
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Mmmm.....................................so because your forty thousand mile, seven year old Ram developed a problem, all Ram owners should dispose of their trucks and no one should consider buying one ever again?????

I know this forum is for problems and solutions, but don't you think you're taking it a little far?

So, what caused the engine to 'DIE'? Could be anything from a loose wire to a rod through the block from the information you've given us so far!
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    You obviously only drive very short trips, or very occassional trips which is the worst possible way to operate an engine. I would take one that has average miles (90-100k miles) and been worked hard before buying one that has sat and/or only used for short rips.

If you think any manufacturer is going to approve warranty work 4 years after it ends.....you've obviously not had much experience with this type of thing. This motor could have 9,000 hours on it for all anyone knows.
  • peppep Posts: 4
    My 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 Auto Trans. Runs hotter then normal going uphill, I have replaced the fun clutch, but still get hot.

PLEASE HEEEEELP
    ".......I have replaced the fun clutch........."

Don't think I've ever come across one of those! Still there's lots more you can do.

Simplest is to clean the outside of the radiator in case it's blocked with bugs or dirt. Use a garden hose and squirt from the back to the front. Access is easy on a Ram.

Next, flush the inside of the cooling system, replace the thermostat and gasket, then refill with fresh coolant and treat it to a new pressure cap.

There are other things to check if that doesn't fix it, but I think that doing the above, together with the new fan clutch, will likely fix the problem.
    Thanks Mac.
    The original engine was replaced at 82000 miles because over heating problem
    (crack head & #1 cyl.) They install new thermostat end coolant.
    This new engine has only 12000 miles.
    Do you think it may be the timing?
    "Do you think it may be the timing?"

Possibly, but I doubt it. Timing is computer controlled and doesn't usually change on its own.

Has it done this from the time it was installed?
  • huskhusk Posts: 1
    No one has responded to your question, I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L sport and it is having similar problems. It sounds more like a crackleing noise. At 40-45 mph it make's a crackin noise the same at 70-75 mph on cruise control when going up hill or when went punch gas pedal. The dealer (jackasses) claim that this is a "normal" diesal cling. That the only way to make it stop is to flash the engine, whatever that is, and this may cause us to loose power. So we chose to just live with the noise, but it sounds like a BS story to me. We have looked all over this sight and others and can't find out anything. If you figure out what it is, please post it here. DODGE DRIVER AND LOVER.
  • blblblbl Posts: 1
    Chrysler SUCKS! Owned one, NEVER, NEVER, AGAIN! They SUCKED in the 70's They SUCKED in the 80's, They SUCKED in the 90's... AND!!, They SUCK TODAY! Wait until a loved one of yours is KILLED in a piece of CRAP Chrysler! When my case is settled, you're going to hear a LOT more from me......A LOT MORE!
  • pam8pam8 Posts: 4
    When I am hauling my horse trailer I turn the overdrive off (per my husbands instructions) My problem is after a little while the engine will heat up, the RPM's will go up very high and it fills like the engine is struggling. This is especially true if I have the AC on. If I turn the over drive off everything goes back to normal and my truck feels like it has more power. My question is should I drive with overdrive off all the time or just when I'm on back roads and hills. My husband says it should be off all the time and would have a fit if he found out I drove with it on sometimes. Should I take it to the dealer? (It is still under warranty) Or is this normal? :confuse:
    You don't say what engine you have....but if the transmission isn't "hunting" for gears it's fine to run it in OD. If you don't have enough power to pull in OD and it's constantly downshifting/upshifting then it's better to leave it off. Lots of shifting in/out of OD will heat up the torque converter and could cause problems. But if it has adequate power pulling in OD, you're not hurting anything.

The big question is, why is this engine getting problems after working hard? It should be able to operate within it's rpm band without losing power. And if the rpm's are jumping up, it sounds like it's downshifting even further.

What engine and how much weight are you pulling?
  • i own a 03 3500 dodge ram with 112000 km.ive always had a noise vibration in it they changed u joints,gears in the rear end ,transfer case,now my front wheel bearings are shot warranty is over and its 1500 dollars.any one else lose there front wheel bearings.thanks
    Cummins 24 Valve Turbo Diesel. I pull a gooseneck 2-horse with extended dressing room Sundowner Horse Trailer w/ 1 or 2 horses. I don't know a lot about engines, etc. I just know that my truck runs better on the expressway with the overdrive on when I am pulling. But like I said my husband is always reminding me to keep it off and I havent told him about this problem. I was wondering if I continued to drive with it on sometimes if I would tear up the transmission.
    So, instead of answering the question about why your your engine supposedly died, you imply that a loved one is going to die in a Chrysler.

I have to admit that I'm finding it hard to follow your logic (and lots of CAPS don't help either)! However, I do get that you think Chrysler (actually it's DaimlerChrysler now) sucks...........sorry, SUCKS!!!!!
    I have an '01 and we pull a Sundower 3-horse with 10' short-wall. Weighs in between 7,500# and 12,000# depending on load. We've pulled this over 170k miles and generally always leave the tranny in OD, until it gets to the hills. When we get to the bottom of a hill, we turn the OD off, and then turn it back on after we top the hills. If you leave it on for the hill climb, it will shift several times as it reaches speed and that's not good on it. My tranny hasn't given me any problems, but I've seen a lot of folks need new trannys with the earlier models.

You might have a lift-pump issue as it might be getting fuel-starved when it's demanding a ton of fuel at those high rpms. The lift-pumps were problematic on those years of Ram diesels. I'd get a fuel pressure guage on there and see if it's within spec. It's likely low on pressure all the time, but you might not notice it until really demanding power.
  • kwarren2kwarren2 Posts: 11
    Might just have a hole/gap in the muffler. Water is one of two products of complete combustion and you can expect to see some coming out the tailpipe of any [combustion] vehicle.
    Thanks so much for your input. I feel better about it now. I'll get the fuel pressure checked also. :D
This discussion has been closed.