Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• coal2coal2 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the effort, I can help you out on this one........the problem was the rear differential speed sensor, ABS works from the signal on the differential, but also talks to the tail shaft speed sensor, thus the problem with the speedometer not working. replaced diff sensor and all is well.
  • 4ducks4ducks Posts: 8
    When I originally went to Auto Zone, they told me the speed sensor. I guess their equipment doesn't narrow it down to which speed sensor it is, huh? I tried looking up the rear differential speed sensor online through Auto Zone and they don't have anything by that name. Is there sonething else I should be looking for?
  • cabot424cabot424 Posts: 2
    Had a complete tuneup on 1998 ram sport because of similar problems. The truck runs fine unless you want to go over 35 mph. It loses power. I was told it could be the fuel injectors but they couldn't be sure. The cost of the repairs would be a bit expensive. Does anyone have any ideas? Most car mechanics will not explain a repair to a woman.
  • 01ram01ram Posts: 1
    Any luck with this issue. My 01 Ram 1500 5.0 is doing a similar thing. Replaced the TPS sensor but the error came back about two weeks later. It happens once, then it clears itself after 5 cycles of the computer (turning key switch on / off is one cycle) The only time it comes on now is when I turn on the AC. I'm going to look for a vacuum leak next.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    The Speed Sensor that sends impulse signals to the Transmission Control and Powertrain Control Modules is located in the tailstock area of the transmission. This sensor is used to control transmission, engine, and some accessories functions. This would be the sensor to suspect if you lose speedometer operation.

Not to be confused with the Front Wheel and Rear Wheel Speed Sensors which are used to control the Automatic Braking System (ABS).

Regards,
    Dusty
    Could be a number of things. How many miles?

I would first start with a good tune-up (spark plugs, distributor cap & rotor, and plug wires. There could be a ignition coil problem (reaching saturation), or a PCM failure, or a fuel pressure problem. On high mileage RAMs of that vintage I would suspect the catalytic converter.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • jb10jb10 Posts: 2
    I am a new member having the same issues described by jster65 in his thread #1779. My truck is a 1998 Ram Ext Cab 1500 Sport 4x4 with 84,000 mi. I jacked the truck up and popped the steering links and both tires move back and forth freely and the steering turns without problems. I put the truck back together and turn a corner and the steering will not correct itself after the turn. Could the ball joints tighten under the weight of the vehicle?? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks. JB
  • doledole Posts: 5
    I forgot I even wrote this , its the end of July, still no luck. Just got it back from another shop . They found nuthin. They also claim its the intake gasket.

Any Ideas ?????????
    I have a 96 Ram with 240K have the same problem. Seems when I cut the rotors it stops, front wheel shakes violently too with hard braking over 55 mph. Don't have an answer though
    Still having trouble with 96 Ram 1500, 5.9 Idle drops to almost 0 then kicks up , gas milage under 9 mpg. blowing light smoke , codes only show voltage spike on o2 sensor, been told its a bad intake manifold gasket. ?????

Driving me nuts !! gas prices ya know
  • cabot424cabot424 Posts: 2
    I just had a complete tune up. it has 70,000 miles on it. Do you know where the fuel filter is located? Someone said to check it. Thanks.
    On your year I believe the fuel filter is in the gas tank.

Regards,
    Dusty
    My first guess would be the dampener or steering rack is defective.

Dusty
  • ameteurameteur Posts: 1
    Did you ever get an answer?

My 2001 started the same thing last weekend, plus no Power windows/locks/seat and the fasten seatbelt light stays on. I have been through every fuse I can find and nothing is bad? Just wondering if there was a fuse somewhere that I am missing before taking it to the Dealer...
    Thanks.......................
  • jb10jb10 Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response Dusty. I brought the truck to a friends shop. I will mention the dampener or steering rack and let ya know what he finds.
    John
  • dodgegirldodgegirl Posts: 5
    Check post # 1480, it gives you instructions on how to get your truck to tell you the trouble codes. Also, by checking out this site I have found that AutoZone will check and clear your codes for free, instead of taking it to the dealer and having them charge you to check it. Once you get the codes, you can check out this link and it should give you some direction as to what the codes mean. Hope this helps http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/l/bl_obd_main.htm

dodgegirl :)
  • I can see it's been a few weeks since you posted the "no bus" problem. What did your mechanic end up pinpointing as the problem. I am having the exact same issue with my 2000, 2500 ram van and am taking it in for a diagnostic on Monday. Knowing exactly what was malfunctioning with your truck would be a great starting point for me to pass onto the mechanic.

Robert
  • bloodlanbloodlan Posts: 5
    yes it does....changed the cap and rotor on it but no changes
    Okay, assuming that the cap and rotor are new within a few hundred miles or so, plug wires and plugs can of course cause this.

Other things to look at are the idle speed motor, vacuum leaks (rubber hoses and intake manifold gasket) and throttle position sensor, although the latter would be my last suspect. If it runs weak and it's high mileage it could be a slipped timing chain. After that, I'd check the fuel pressure and fuel injectors.

If it starts hard but runs fine, you can rule out the catalytic converter.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • kingboneskingbones Posts: 1
    I have a 03 dodge quad cab with a hemi 2wd. there is a ticking noise at idle that seems to go away with a little gas. I took the truck to a muffler shop for them to look for a leak none was found i then took it to a local mechanic he couldnt pin point the noise locatin Has anyone had this kind of problem and what was the fix!!! there is no codes poping up :mad:
This discussion has been closed.