Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Care and Maintenance

Comments

• kdarmkdarm Posts: 4
    I can't speak for the 02 but my 1994 model has over 200000 miles on it.
  • I have a 1997 Nissan Altima. I purchased the car last year as a student. Recently, the car which was running great suddenly started making a loud "boom" noise and when I took to Amoco Car repair they said that the exhaust pipe was rusting off and I needed to replace it. they quoted something around 600$ for this.

Is there a better way/ cheaper way to do it?

Since I dont use the car that much and it already has 125K miles on it (built in 1997) I was wondering if anyone could advice me of an efficient and cheap way to do it? If you guys feel that replacing the exhaust shall be the best way please feel free to say so.

Thanks a lot!
    Suj, Minneapolis.
  • annie5annie5 Posts: 1
    dear 427435 -

My '02 Altima is doing the exact same thing. Did you even figure out what it is that causes this weird phenomonon?

Thanks,
  • pbarnardpbarnard Posts: 2
    I had a similar issue with a nissan truck many years back. You might need belts tightening. They squeak until they warm up.
  • gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,764
    I just had my 03 2.5S in for maintenance and inspection and was dismayed that I need new brakes pads all around. I live in an urban area so I do alot of stop and go driving, but I think that I'm pretty easy on the brakes.

Do new pads all around at 22k sound premature? Has anyone else done this this early?
  • botharambotharam Posts: 1
    I bought a 1995 Nissan Altima with 138K miles on it. Its an Automatic transmission. The engine starter is going bad. I had got the brushes of the starter freed. But that is just a temporary solution. Is rebuilding the starter a good idea or just getting a new one would be the best bet. Also how much do u think it should cost.
    THanks
  • How do I reset the tire rotation and oil change warnings on a 2005 Altima? Is this something the dealer is going to overcharge me for? I had the oil change (Mobile One and rotation done for $75. I know Nissan charges a lot more than that.
  • carsickcarsick Posts: 2
    My 02 has 13000 miles and needed new brakes and rotors (rear). I called the dealer and the nissan HQ they did nothing for me and the bill was $525.00
  • Hi Sujeet13
    I just repaired similar problem myself.

You will need to spend about 1-1.5hours under the car, have enough willing to save 600 and have few basic tools.

What I did: Went to Pep Boys and purchased the following, pipe extensor (about $3 each) that is wider on one side than on the other. I bought 3-4 different ones and retured the ones I did not need after I picked the correct one. I also purchased high temp resistent gasket, high temp resistant silicone filler and 2 clamps

It was all about may be $15 or so.

Actual steps are
    If the pipe actually broke of you put in gasket first and than after you figure out which extensor fits the best you connect 2 pieces together.
    You may need to muscle the pieces far apart in order to insert the extensor. But because the exhaust is placed on rubber holders it is not a big problem.
    Make sure extensor piece sits very tight, after that you put silicone at the places of contact of extensor and both ends of pipes to prevent any small leak of smoke from it. Than place clamps to secure the entire set up on both sides.
    In addition you may try to somehow secure the exhaust to the body, (optional, - you can purchase connectors at the store as well for about $5-6)
    This fix will last for some time.
    I just redid the work again, about 6 months after I first did it.

You can also find a mechanic who would agree to meld pipes together. That would cost about $50, if done well it's the best but it may brake at the site of melding if not done so well. Of course if the pipe itself is very rusted, than sorry buddy you need to change the pipe.
    I'm sure in that case you can find used one at the junk for fraction of $600.

Good luck
    Misha
  • The reset is easy, turn the key on, but don’t start the engine, push (to the floor) and release the gas pedal three times within five seconds. If you did it right the Change Oil Soon should flash, which means the system is resetting. Turn the key to off after the light has finished flashing, then start the vehicle. If the light comes back on, the system has not been reset. Just repeat the procedure. The “Service Engine Soon” warning light is a different story. That warning light is the vehicle’s engine computer letting you know that something is not right. There is no resetting this warning light with a hokey pokey move. You’ll need to have a technician plug into your vehicle’s computer. The computer will provide a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) with a brief system fault description. Once that information is obtained, diagnosis of the problem can be performed.
  • Hello all,

I am new to this forum and just wanted to share my experiences with fellow altima drivers. I currently have a 95 with approx:133k miles on it. I was driving from NY to NJ and suddenly on a stop light my car began to sputter, like when it is not getting any fuel or your out of fuel running on fumes. I looked in my Haynes repair manual for the specific vehicle and retrieved the DTC(diagnostic trouble codes) for my car. I came up with code 11 (camshaft position sensor (CPS)) and code 34 Knock sensor. Unfortunatley I cannot replace the CPS because it is integrated with the ignition distribution unit (THE DISTRIBUTOR). so now I have to replace it and guess what I think it will work. Moral of this story it's wise to consult your ECM (ENGINE CONTROL MODULE) and research the trouble codes for best car maintenance resolution.
  • i have 1995 nissan altima. recently it just wont start. There is gas in the car and i getting spark. it seem like the gas is not goint to the cylinders. i have check the fuse for the injector and they are okay. what could be the problem why the car wont start?
    Did you check the fuel pump?
  • markr5markr5 Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2005 Altima yesterday with extended warranty. It is good nation wide and you can buy a rider for an additional $200. The rider stipulates if you don't use the warranty in 6 years or 100,000 miles you get your money back. You have to file within 2 months of the expiration of the warranty. Thought is a no brainer, just hope I don't need and remember to apply for the refund. :P
  • empiempi Posts: 6
    Hi nrechtman. I just saw your post. I am thinking of buying a 2005 Altima. Did you buy the 4 or 6 cylinder, automatic or manual? I have been following the forums and it does not look like a lot of people have posted an inordinate amount of problems so I am presuming it is a pretty good vehicle. Have you been able to check the kind of gas mileage you are gettting. I would like an automatic but I also want good gas mileage as I live in California and we pay very high prices for gas here. Uneaded regular is still in the high 2.80s and premium is $3.15 so it is becoming a factor for me even though I do not have a long commute it is mostly all city driving.

I had purchased a 2004 VW Beetle Convertible GLS Turbo but I am so disappointed. It barely gets 15-16 miles per gallon. I had a Fuel Consumption Test done on it but the dealer says the computer it not showing "any faults" whatever that means so basically they say there is nothing they can do so I am selling it. As a result of this forum, it seems the VWs have a lot of problems so I am going to cut my losses

Any information you can give will be appreciated. Can I ask what you paid and where you live because in california we pay more for everything. I think they charge us extra for all the great weather and sunshine(smile)

That warranty you mention sounds pretty cool. If it is what thet say it is you can't go wrong especially if you are plannning to keep the car beyond the warranty period. Repairs can be very costly. I probably would buy an extended warranty. What is the warranty that comes with the car?

empi
  • Your knock sensor generaly goes bad on a oil change. Its right under the oil filter and there is almost no way to stop the fluid from hitting that sensor. Common i guess. My 93 altima runs great 245000 miles on it. Dosent eat, burn or drip oil. Just changed the trans pan out due to a pothole but she works well.
  • Had the same problem. Its prob the distributor cab assembaly. On the 93 it has a sensor on it. When that goes bad the car will crank and act like it wants to start but no joy. That assembly isnt too expensive. If ya got spark then the coil pack is good. (another way to check a coil pack it to shake it near your ear. If ya hear the liquid in it its prob. good. There either good or bad, no middle)
  • Exausts are a dime a dozen. Its the caddy and or the muffler. Sounds like the car backfired and blew out a baffle in the muffler. Have you emission tested it since the bang noise? If so and it passed then its the muffler. If it didnt pass the caddy prob blew out on ya. Speekin from experence. 93 altima 245000 miles.
  • If your seat belts dont retract and or move with key anymore and its happening to both, check your accident sensor in the trunk. For some reason it effects my seat belts and not the fuel pump like in every other rig ive ever owned. Its on the left hand side of the trunk behind felt at about the area of the hinge for the deck lid. A little ball breaks out of a surrounding and prevents a circuit of sometype from completing. Check that. Still think'n about what else ive learned about the rig. Anyone know the fluid specs on the altima around 1993? Advance auto said it could take 10 yes 10 quarts to fill the trans. To me there is no way! Can someone help?
  • MY CAR HAS BEEN FINE I STARTED IT THIS MORNING TO WASH IT AND WHEN I WENT BACK TO START IT, IT WILL NOT START. IT IS TURNING AND IT SOUNDS REALLY STRONG BUT WHEN I GIVE IT A LITTLE GAS IT SEEMS LIKE IT WANT TO CATCH BUT WILL NOT. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SHINE SOME LIGHT ON WHAT MY PROBLEM MIGHT BE
  • I have an 02 Alima and had this exact problem. My dealer told me the car was flooding because of turning the car on and off and back on again after washing it. After you start your car, let it run for a bit. Then after you wash your car, turn it on and let it run for a while or drive around the block, this gives the car a chance to burn off the excess fuel from starting it up. This works every time for me.
    In my 03, I've had a problem starting it a few times on cold mornings. First it turns fine and almost catches but doesn't start. It feels like I may have let up on the key a second too soon. After that, it will turn but doesn't sound smooth at all (like the timing is off). I need to keep trying it and it continues to turn like the timing is off and it has always started after 10 minutes or so.

This problem sounds like it could be related to this problem above. Anyone hit upon this before?
  • Have you found out what was or is the problem? I have a 2003 altima with the same problems. Checked coolant level it's full but when the car stops the heater start blowing cool air.....What's wrong people!!!!!I need help badly.
  • I have an '02 2.5 altima, and mine had the same problem two winters in a row, but never started. I had to get towed and the guy replaced the starter both times, which was not the problem. This guy says its the variable valve timing. He says that when it gets cold, some really technical guy stuff (I didn't really read that part) happens with the oil and the compressor that throws the timing off. Apparently flooring the gas will get it started eventually, though. Just wish I had known that before. At any rate, its ok because it means you don't have to drop a grand to get it fixed.
  • haefrhaefr Posts: 600
    Without more information I can only guess that your heater core may be partially plugged or you have a defective thermostat that's not closing*. How recently have you had your coolong system serviced?

*If you had to have a problem with a thermostat, a partially locked open one is better than a closed one. Better to have too much cooled coolant circulation than NO cooled coolant circulation.
  • I just recently went to go to an appt. , Got in my car and it woudlnt' start. I have a 93 Nissan Altima GXE. It wont turn over either...I don't hear any noises..just put a new fuel pump in it
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    How old is your battery?
  • jivelojivelo Posts: 1
    MY 93 NISSAN ALTIMA IS EMITTING BLACK SMOKE FROM THE MUFFLER, THIS IS USUALLY PRECEDED BY THE CAR TURNING OFF. THE CAR TURNS ON RIGHT AWAY BUT SPUTTERS A BIT. OTHER SYMPTOMS INCLUDE EXCESSIVE FUEL CONSUMPTION, CAR TURNS OFF WHILE IN IDLE AT A STOP LIGHT, SPARKPLUGS ARE EXTREMELY CARBONATED. IVE REPLACED THE FUEL FILTER, OXYGEN CENSOR, GAS REGULATOR, AND SPARK PLUGS. HELP, NO DIFFERENCE.
  • suellensuellen Posts: 1
    My 1993 won't start. The battery is fine. We turn the key and get dead silence. If anyone else has had this problem please email me asap. How did you resolve it?
  • My 95 altima won't start I'v had work done to it and it's still not working.I've had problems starting it went it gets cold. First it turns fine and almost catches but doesn't start. It feels like I may have let up on the key a second too soon. Then it will turn on and make a loud pop noise. I have to keep trying it and it continues to turn like the timing is off and it has always started after 10-30 minutes or so. I had the fuel pump, the ignition coils, and the distributor changed and the car still won't crank right up.
This discussion has been closed.