Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have an 02 3.5SE with 3500 miles on it now. I have not experienced anything like you describe. It does not sound normal. My car shifts very smoothly(much smoother than my 99 honda LX 6 cylinder) and there is no vibration of any kind. Maybe you should have someone else drive it and see what they think or just bring it back to the dealer. Since you got the car with 250 miles on it they won't be able to say it was something you did to it.
  • I'm getting ready to buy my first new car in January. My husband and I absolutely love the 03 Altima(2.5S) and that's really the only that we're looking at buying. I'm wondering if everyone that has a new one is happy with it and what they like best about it as well as what they don't like along with any advice for me. I've done a ton of research on the car but I'd like to get some "real people" opinions. Thanks so much!
  • Flea had reported premature wear (replacement at 3500 miles) to the tires on his/her '02 SE. Your recommendation was to replace the "V" series with an "H" series. My argument is that your recommendation is unfounded.
    My suggestion to Flea differs from Zeus' and is to bring the car to another dealer for a second opinion, not buy a different set of tires (as recommended by Zeus), especially since I, along with others that happen to own 3.5 SE (Zeus doesn't), reported no visible tire wear after the same mileage duration Flea was having to change tires. I would also like to report that I have just put another 1700 miles on the car (9700 now) and the tires look fine and have not been rotated since new. If Flea's car in performing properly, then the only other thing I can think of that may be causing this tire failure is someone (bsides flea) is doing some serious burnouts with this car.
  • My 3.5 is an automatic. I have noticed that as I am cruising along on the hiway and then take my foot off of the accelerator to slow-up and then reapply the gas that there is a slight thud, like something is engaging, in the powertrain. I believe that this is the torque converter re-engaging and assume it is just a characteristic of the car. Hope this helps and let us know if you find out there is a problem.
  • I have no idea why I'm on the Altima board, but anyway I'll respond to your question.

I have a 2002 Pathfinder, we have the same engine, the 3.5 V6.

I know what you are talking about, it happens as well to me on the highway when I release the gas pedal (even when I am barely depressing on it before, and sometimes with a gradual release of it).

I don't know if its normal, have not told the dealer or attempted to find a remedy. Just thought I'd say that your not the only one.
  • Hi all,

I have a 2000 Altima with 50k miles on it. Till date never had to take it to the dealer for any problem. recently, the dealer said I needed new brake pads in front. After I had that done, I have noticed a low speed wobble in the steering, that disappears at speeds above 30MPH. Anybody have a clue what it could be?
  • I have had Bridgestone Tauranzas now for a few weeks after replacing Continentals with them. I am very annoyed at this point. These are my 3rd set of tires on a car with 5k miles on it and I am having the same problems as with the Continentals. The inside of my car sounds like a washing machine spin cycle after I drive my car for a short period of time to heat up the tires. Nissan says they won't replace the rims and refuse to allow me to see a factory rep. You believe it! Thanks god there is a lemon law in my state and that I keep service records.
  • 3 sets of tires in 5000 miles is outrageous..Obviously it's not the tires..Sounds like the car is way out of alignment or perhaps was in some sort of accident BEFORE you took ownnership. I have seen brand new cars(with the Stickers still on the window) in body shops with severe damage. Have you tried calling 1-800-Nissan1 ? I think if you open an incident with them they might be of some help
  • Sounds incredible- are these brand new tires ?
    Have they been balanced ? Has the car been
    aligned? Are any suspension parts loose or defective? Did the dealer techs test drive the car after latest fix?

The car sounds undrivable - you say sounds like
    washer spin cycle, is it the sound or is there also vibration ?
  • The damn thing shifts real bad when you accelerate hard.... gets up to 5K rpm and then hangs for a few seconds before shifting softly. For $27K i would expect the damn thing to be a little more snappy, if not break your neck shifting under hard acceleration.
  • saokesaoke Posts: 2
    95 Altima GXE
    90k mile
    Check engine light (emission) is on.
    mpg value decreasing... 10 now :(
    engine/emission generating louder noise

Pep boye diagnosed for free and checked the code:
    EGR control solenoid
    and told me this can only be managed by dealer.

Anybody here experienced this problem?
    Do I have to go to the nissan dealer, or other service shop to check it again?

Computer diagnosis: nissan dealer charges $86; Honda dealer charges $48 ... any difference for the EGR modules between different makes?

EGR control solenoid: $150 (LOCAL NISSAN DEALER)
    Is 'EGR control solenoid' same as 'EGR valve solenoid'?

Thanks.
  • flea4flea4 Posts: 6
    Thanks to all who have replied to my tire problem.I put 2 new Turanzas on last week.Nissan dealer paid for 1 of them,I paid for the other.That's the best I could do.I'm going to try to rotate,balance and have the alignment checked every 3,000 miles on these new tires and see what happens.As an answer to some of your questions,my kid doesn't drive the car at all,the car isn't driven at any high rates of speed and the gas pedal isn't up into the firewall as I believe somebody had suggested.It is driven like any normal car,to and from work,grocery store,around town,to ballgames,etc.I'll keep you guys posted.
  • zueslewiszueslewis Posts: 2,353
    bring it back to them if there's a problem, since that's a lignment issue, not a wear problem related to anything else. (Unless you're doing 90 mph corners!)
    but I see lemon law cases on every manufacturer in the US as a course of my job.

What you have is a used car that was BEAT TO DEATH as a rental (Pull a CARFAX - I'll bet a week's wages). I see very, very few Nissan products - in fact, I see fewer Missans than Toyotas and Hondas (separately, not combined) and only 3-4 Altimas in a year and a half of doing this automotuve expert court thing.

I'm glad you were able to vent, but that is not what Edmund's is for - I'm sorry you got a bum used car, but that's all that's wrong with your situation.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,849
    My Mom & Stepdad are 2-for-2 with Nissan tranny failures. First was a '91 Stanza that started having problems around the 90,000 mile mark. It was threatening to go at any time (according to the dealership, at least) although they did nurse another 20K or so miles out of it before they sold it.

The second was a '99 Altima. Tranny up and quit at 35K miles. It was replaced under warranty. That car's mileage is now somewhere in the lower 90's. About a month ago, it did have a distributor failure that left them stranded. I was actually surprised to hear this...I thought distributors went the way of the carburetor!

Neither car has been really bad, although I'm surprised at the tranny failures. My Mom & stepdad commute into work together, and most of their driving is highway mileage, so it's not like they're thrashing the car or anything!
    and lemon law cases and breaches of warranty are my business.

Never seen you here before - many people ask for my help with their cases and I give it freely.

I've run over 3,000 CARFAX reports - I know they don't list a previous owner's name, and many rentals aren't listed as "rentals".

You defintely got the exception to the rule when it comes to Altimas. Good luck with it.

I was also trying to curtail your post because people have been sued for slamming a car dealership in a public forum. I'm sorry your reaction was so hostile - I'm glad I'm not your service advisor.
  • I'm sorry about your car. I got rid of my Alero before it got that bad and now own an Altima 2.5S. The only problem I have had is the headlight blew a month after I bought it (brand new car). It is extremely frustrating to buy a car and have all these things happen so quickly (as with my old Alero). Being that this forum is for "problems" I don't see why zueslewis has an issue with your post. Before I buy a car I check these posts on Edmunds and I'm glad that you are honest enough to help the rest of us out there so we can make informed decisions on our next car purchase.
    I apologize if I came off wrong, but after seeing people get sued for slamming dealers, I fear for teh consumer who does this and advocating the consumer is what I do for a living.

I'm not any more important than anyone here, but along with the other car business guys (and ex-car business guys like me), we try to help folks out of problems when dealing with a problematic dealership or vehicle.

I know you bought the car used - did you have someone check it out for you (other than the dealer)? It's unfortunate that some unscrupulous dealer's idea of a vehicle certification is just filling out a form and giving it an oil change.
  • Thanks for your inputs! My car has had 2 alignment checks. Now, what does that mean? I look at the front end and the driver wheel likes like it is toe-in and the passenger wheel looks like toe-out. I was told it is an "illusion". Yet it drives straight as an arrow, even on crowned roads. I do not know if the Tauranzas are new, but the rubber "feelies" are still on the tires so I guess they are. The Continentals definitly were new. I have 6 work tickets for tire balances and 2 additional service tickets that are not in my possession (yet) for 8 total times I have had the tires balanced. And they have needed it too! Even after being balanced before. The last time I had a balance check, the service mgr. said he had no time to check the car. If he did, he would have heard the washing machine, but he still would have let it go anyway, hoping I would not notice I guess. I went to a couple resources with my VIN. The car has not been in an accident. I tried to work with Nissan and have an incident number with this car. They know I have been to 2 dealers already and want me to go to a 3rd, that is over 30 miles away from me. I told them not unless a factory rep is there, too. They would not gaurantee a rep. I sent my lemon law form yesterday. Now they will have to address it.
    In the mean time, I am in the spin cycle. Literally. The wierd thing is, there is no noticeable steering wheel vibration at all. Yet, if I drive it at 10 or less mph (foot off the gas) I can feel the tires thump-thump, thump-thumping on the pavement. Sound like high points, but so did the other tire sets, too. That is why I am pointing at the rims. Nissan doesn't see it that way.
    this is slander:

"DO NOT BUY A NISSAN ALTIMA GXE 2001 AND IF YOU DEFINITELY WANT TO BUY ONE, THEN FROM MY EXPERIENCE AND OPINION, PLEASE ADVOID BUYING IT FROM COLLINS NISSAN."

You do as you wish. Have a nice day.