Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• daveeddaveed Posts: 4
    I just bought a new 2005 two weeks ago, and the radio has serious reception problems on any station. The dealer says it is normal, and they were able to duplicate the problem I was having by driving around their building. I drove two other 2004's before buying this one, and they didn't have this problem. Anyone have a thought on what I should do?
  • tikijojotikijojo Posts: 4
    I just picked up my 05 Altima from the dealer. They checked the radio and said they couldn't find a problem with a reception.
    However, they told me that enough owners complain about this problem, Nissan will take action and post at "Service Bulletin" to help fix the problem.
    Therefore, if you are experiencing this problem please either take your car to the dealer, or call Nissan directly, and open a complaint file with them.
    We all need to work together to try and remedy this problem.
  • rajraj Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Altima 2.5S with 36,500 Miles.
    Yesterday when I was about to start the car, it displayed "SERVICE ENGINE SOON".
    After I started the car, the display disappeared. I got this car from a Private Seller
    couple of weeks back. The Engine sensor recall fixing for this car is still due.

Did anyone face this issue before?. I am taking it to the Nissan delaer to fix the Recall.
    Any other recommendations?. Please advise.

Thanks in advance
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    Even though, the reception isn't as bad as it once was.

Maybe I am just getting used to the poor reception?

Either way, if Nissan does a service bulletin, I want it fixed ASAP.
    I finally got the dealership to listen to me, and they are working with me. They are ordering a new radio and are going to install it.

Just a question about the A/C though, after I turn my ac on it won't shut off until I turn the car off. The light on the dash goes off, but colder air is definitely still coming from the vents. Just wondering if this is another problem with my new 05. Anybody know?
    I have been to two different dealerships, and neither has listened to me.

I am thinking of getting my grandfather or uncle involved to see what can be done about it.

It is ruining the overall experience of my car.
  • tikijojotikijojo Posts: 4
    I'm glad to hear that the dealership is taking action in your favor. Could you reply with the results of your new radio? Did it improve the problem?

Not having issues with the A/C though.
    Well, it wasn't easy to get them to listen, but after I told them that other people were having the same problem they seemed more interested to help. I also called 1-800 Nissan1 and told them about it, and specifically asked them to do something about it. (Don't know if they did) I also talked to my salesman, and told him how dissatisfied I was. I am getting the new radio this week. We'll see if it helps.
  • drjasdrjas Posts: 3
    I am getting this horrible screeching sound when I accelerate quickly with the A/C on in my 98 Altima, it has 140,000 miles on it and the sound happens when the gears are shifting, so I am guessing something is horribly wrong with my transmission, but why only when the A/C is on. It sounds really wretched. Any ideas?
  • jbmulderjbmulder Posts: 3
    2003 std

city 27 mpg
    highw 29.1
    aveg 28.6
    If anyone else is having static/loss of reception with their new altimas, please call the 1-800 nissan1 number to report this. I was just told by them that they know the problem exists, and the radio manufacturer is working on it. I am hoping they are telling the truth, but having more people report the problem will help.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,195
    Could be the serpentine belt and/or pulley. At 140k, both are suspect if they haven't been replaced.
    Thanks for the advice. I hope the radio is replaced soon.
    According to Nissan, the fuel tank capacity on my 2002 Altima should be 20.0 gallons. Today, I filled up with 22.671 gallons. Yes, I topped it off, but the pump went over 20 gallons before it clicked off the first time. Is it physically possible for the tank and filler neck to hold this much fuel?
  • drjasdrjas Posts: 3
    replaced both belts, the main and accessory belt like four months ago, going to trade the car in and get a 2004 camry le v6, this car is now someone else's problem
    Could be the bearing on the A/C compressor, or one of the other accessories.
  • zheka78zheka78 Posts: 4
    Just got off the phone with Nissan North America. Called them to find out what can be done to my 2001 Altima SE, which has alloy wheels that have rusted from underneath the paint. I was told that Nissan warranted its 2001 cars against rust for the duration of 12 months. This sounds strange to me - Edmunds quotes 5 year rust warranty as well. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions!

Thank you in advance
  • zheka78zheka78 Posts: 4
    This sounds like a problem with worn-out driving/accessory belts. These should be changed every 60 thousand miles or sooner if you start hearing the high pitched screeching sound. The repair itself is simple. Each belt goes for $15-20 a piece(from Nissan Dealer – aftermarket is a bit cheaper) + an hour labor to replace both. Pick a good mechanic though - if he under/over tightens the belts, you can start hearing screeching sounds again very soon. Also, I would strongly recommend getting the mechanic to buy parts at the Nissan dealership, they'll cost you a couple of bucks more, but quality will be generally higher.

Hope this helps.
  • aftyafty Posts: 499
    I've never filled more than about 18 gallons on my '02 Altima. That was well after the Distance To Empty readout had passed 0...
  • okeoke Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Altima 2.5S with 38,500 Miles. I took my car to the dealer on 4/20/04 for the "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" recall. I brought the car from a used car dealer back in July 03. The car was fixed and returned to me on 4/22/04. Everything seem find till 5/1/04 when the light came back and the engine made a loud noise. The car stopped and was smoking. There is a nice size hole in the engine where the piston shot out from. Back to the dealer to get repairs and hopefully not have to fight to get it replaced. any advice.
    I have looked all through my manual, and I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know when the first oil change for altima's is due? I have almost 4K miles on the car now.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,030
    While you're waiting to hear from other Maxima owners, you might give our Maintenance Guide a look.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• ultimaultima Posts: 96
    Assuming this is a brand new car/engine, I'd suggest changing at:

At 1,000 miles (with regular oil)
    At 2,000 miles (with regular oil)
    At 3,000 miles (with regular oil)
    At 6,000 miles (with Synthetic oil)

Every 6,000 miles thereafter with Synthetic oil.
    According to Nissan, the first oil change is due at 3,750 miles for severe driving conditions or 7,500 miles for normal conditions.
  • ultimaultima Posts: 96
    That may be true, Max, but being a "new engine breaking in", I think if you speak to most folks who are in-the-know, they'll agree that the freqency in changing the oil as I've suggested is supported.

Also note that the schedule I've suggested only adds 2 more oil changes initially. Given most places (at least here in Los Angeles) will change your oil for $20 or less, we're only talking about $40 bucks.

If people want to save a few bucks, I'd suggest the following:

At 1,500 miles (with regular oil)
    At 3,000 miles (with regular oil)
    At 6,000 miles (with Synthetic oil)

Every 6,000 miles thereafter with Synthetic oil.
  • There is a voluntary notice (not exactly a recall) about the front passenger airbag in the 93-97 Altimas. Ask a Nissan dealer about it and they will put in a depowered one that should fix the problem. They should do it for free because this action was part of settling a lawsuit of some kind.
  • rugmankcrugmankc Posts: 133
    Zanderson1977,

Thanks for the info. I just had the car in for an airbag recall from Nissan. Not sure if it addressed the light. It's only happened 3 times in 2 years, and not for awhile. I have a reset procedure for the light that always works. If it happens again, I will call Nissan. My son has had the car for the last five or so years, so I don't drive it very often. Car has 119,000 miles now and no leaks or problems of any kind. Just routine maintenance.
  • Visited dealer, with "light on", he replaced Canister valve, something to do with evaporation, or emission.

The light was back on after two days. Visited three times in past three weeks - Computer Code tells the same problem - I do not know what to do. Recently they replaced cap on the fuel tank. They think it is some kind of small "undetectable" leak....in the evaporation system.

Visiting the dealer tomorrow again...any ideas?
  • lpjplpjp Posts: 1
    Can you damage/cause a head gasket if engine flush/fill done improperly
    Well, I have noticed that when driving the Altima, the car has a hesitation, like it is downshifting when I take off. I mean, this happens even when I don't take off hard.