Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• silver58,
    I was just checking to see if you are still having stalling and stumpling problems since you fixed the air mass sensor in your 97 Altima?
    I am having the same type of problem. Maybe I should fire my repair shop and have someone else look at the air mass sensor.
    Let me know how things worked out.
    pplcreole
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    Hi everybody, I was wondering if any of the Altima owners, mainly 05 Alti Owners had the following issues...

1) My glove box is misaligned....the thing has been uneven since the day I bought it.

2) I have a front passenger seat rattle that developed because the screws that hold the seats down have come up and are GONE...

3) My power window switches come up out of there socket whenever I go over bumps and rough roads.

4) My speakers sound busted and I DON'T play my music loud. Especially the front speakers

5) The automatic tranmsission sometimes has a loss of power...Like when I take off the car will hesitate then TAKE OFF like a bat out of hell.

6) The radio reception SUCKS...major sucks.

7) The carpet actually comes up from the floor board when I vacuum the car.

Have any of you guys had these issues?

I sometimes wish I had just bought the Accord instead...the Altima is a better looking car, but clearly inferior to the Accord IMO.

I am beginning to really dislike the damn thing.

Thanks in advance
  • I am a week old owner of an '02 (notice earlier post) and I too have notice the hesitance (when compared to my '96). Other than that, I am a very happy girl - so far, so good!!
  • Hi, newbie here!

I have a 2002 2.5S, and I notice when the engine is cold, I hear valve clatter. Once the engine warms up, it goes away. Dealer said it is normal. Do they all do this?
  • Max--

I've had a 1998 Altima since new, and it required quite a few trips to the dealer in its first year with me. Various squeaks and rattles, plus both front struts, and a clutch bearing were fixed, but all under warranty.

Make a list of: what when where how for each problem. Take it with you to the dealer. Ask that a technician ride with you (not the service writer) and use the list to make the problems appear for the tech. My car made a noise going over a certain speed bump at a certain parking lot, so I took the tech to that parking lot and it made the noise. It is not unreasonable to ask a tech to ride with you, and most techs are happy to have a stab at actually fixing your problem with you, rather than trying to go off the work order which says "customer reports passenger seat rattles" which usually leads to "could not reproduce problem" on the receipt.

On the inside, Nissans aren't usually known for their exquisite interior materials, but I think you'll find that the carpet in most cars (and houses) pulls up a bit when vacuuming, and the glove box is probably an easy fix.

The good news is that once you get the problems ironed out, you should have smooth sailing. 6.5 years and 78k later, i've only had to do routine maintenance, and replace the battery and belts once. I'm even on original brake pads. Plus, even the most die-hard Honda fan has to admit that the Nissan has quite a bit more soul, and you might have gotten one of the many new Honda/Acuras that have dropped their transmissions.

Besides, you're into the car now and you'll get soaked trying to get rid of it, so make the best of it and enjoy.
  • Question that needs answering please....

Recently purchased 2002 3.5 SE. Was wondering if there is a problem with the trip computer? When pressing the "trip" button, I am only able to get trip "A" and "B" to display?? Manual indicates that I should be able to get Outside temp, DTE, MPG, and trip time display...etc. Can someone explain why I am not able to get these other options to display? I have tried resetting the trip and it only changes the mileage on the computer back to 0. Thank you!
  • artyarty Posts: 3
    yes, it is a complete waste of time. so a search for BBB autoline and look for my post to see what I discovered.
  • joycejoyce Posts: 1
    Re/water on door sills after washing, I noticed same. I have a 2004 Altima. Never had it w/my Camry. ??
  • bcumminsbcummins Posts: 16
    Ultima, I've been using synthetic in my 2000 Impala since I bought it with 28K miles on it. I used to drive alot and hated to get oil changes so frequently.

I just bought my wife a 2005 3.5SE and was wondering about moving to synthetic. Can you elaborate on the reasoning behind the repeated regular oil changes in short intervals before the first synthetic change? I assume it has to do with removing debris knocked loose while the engine breaks in?

Also, any idea how this impacts the warranty? Ultimately I think synthetic is just superior since it doesn't break down as much, but I'd hate to have a failure put back in my face b\c I broke the recommended regimen... Any thoughts?
  • bcumminsbcummins Posts: 16
    Hi guys, just looking to find out there are some common problems or TSBs that I should be looking out for with our 2005 Altima.

I have been noticing a creaking noise that sounds like it's coming from the passenger side of the dash whenever the car rises and then sinks (almost like I'm hearing the strut). Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks,
    Brian
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,116
    >>>Can you elaborate on the reasoning behind the repeated regular oil changes in short intervals before the first synthetic change?<<<

IMO, there is no good reason to do this on a modern engine. You can just switch to synthetic at the first regular oil change. On some cars like Hondas and VWs, the manufacturer insists that you not do the first change until 5 or 10k miles.

And it shouldn't affect the warranty as long as you do the regular chagnes every 7500 miles during the 5/60 powertrain warranty. Bottom line is, I would bet money to almost anyone that you will not own the car long enough to have engine trouble due to lubrication problems.
  • anonymanonym Posts: 11
    I just purchased my 2005 altima this month and am already having a few problems. If I have my a/c on and the recirculate button pressed on there is no way to turn off the air condition. Eventhough I turned it away from max ac, turned off both the recirculate and a/c buttons there is still cold air coming out. Does this happen to anyone else? Is this a design flaw or a mechanical flaw with the car? I noticed I am only able to turn off the a/c if my recirculate button is not on. Just an FYI to all new owners. There is an TSB out for the stereo. On the FM radio my stereo would lose the treble and become obviously lower in volume. The dealership ordered me another one.

I am just a little dissapointed by the build quality of the car. There was a plastic piece that was not even snapped in on my door, near the handle. Im just wondering what else they forgot to do.

Im seriously considering buying the factory backed warranty. The dealer quoted me an exorbitant price of 1450 dollars for a 6 year 100K warranty. Please post what others were able to get.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    But then again, Nissan isn't really known for making HQ interiors as of late.

But overall, I like my altima
  • O.K. I am on the market for a 2002 Altima 2.5 S ... question is - if I buy it from a private person, will the dealer honor the balance of warranty - if I need to take the car there for repairs ?
    Yes, they will honor the balance of any remaining factory warranty (3 years 36,000 miles comprehensive, 5/60 powertrain). If it's an aftermarket warranty, it's a crapshoot. You will want to have them run the VIN to be sure all the recalls have been done (those will be free even after the warranty has expired).
  • Thank you for the help.
    Here is my other dilemma. We have 97 Altima - great car. 86,000 miles - no problem so far -none.
    My wire wants 2002 Honda Civic - I want 2002 Altima 2.5 S . You know it's hard to fight with the wife - but what argument could I possibly use to persuade her to go with me on the 02 Altima 2.5S ?

One more question: is 97 Altima equipped with timing belt or chain ? Also what is recommended mileage for transmission oil change, what type of transmission oil is recommended ?

Thank you very much
  • mmr3mmr3 Posts: 2
    After getting on highway, tried to shift to left lane, but a car was there, so I shifted back to right lane, but the car just went out of control -- couldn't steer properly, fishtailed left and right like driving on ice, until I finally got it to stop. It hit the divider at some point and set off side airbags. Any ideas as to why it got out of control? Just happened a few hours ago, and it's a nice sunny fall day here in NJ, no ice whatsoever. Car is new, approx 700miles! Appreciate any feedback.
  • love my 97 Altima. No problems at all. Now the time has come to change the transmission (auto) fluid.

Here is the question: since I've mislpaced the Manual - I don't know what kind of transmission fluid to buy, and what quantity.

Can someone help ?
    http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissan/pdfadcd/og/altima/1997-Niss- an-Altima.pdf

mmr3,
    Is everyone okay?

As to causation: Was the road wet? Any oil or other debris on the road? Did the car act "twitchy" before the accident? If the car fishtailed, the rear wheels lost traction. I would look to something that could have caused that to happen. Were they under/overinflated? Parking brake or disc brake sticking?
  • My wife is about to beat me because the new car she just bought is not what she thought it was.

1. At 65, 2500rpm, the car has a high pitch whine coming from the engine. Has anyone experienced this?

2. There is a definite whine when she rolls up the windows.

3. When she takes off, similar to Max's issue, her car shifts hard, but not all the time.

HELP!!!!, Please
  • mmr3mmr3 Posts: 2
    Thanks for your concern, Corvette. It's a miracle that no one was hurt. My parents were also inside the car. The road was not wet, did not see any oil or debris on the road. No problems with the car at all before the accident, tires were ok, parking brakes weren't sticking. Car was just 3 weeks old! Just concerned that when the car gets fixed, it might happen again like when trying to avoid deer or pedestrians or another car. Want to hear from other Altima owners, if they experienced "fishtailing" under normal road and good weather conditions.
  • I own a 2004 3.5SE altima. It whines at around 45 mph and also 80 or 85 mph. The dealership thinks it is the transmission. They are getting me an appointment with a Nissan representative to further check the problem. I like my car, but the whining, and it is shrill, has got to go. The service department checked with Nissan and there has been other reports concerning the whining. Let me know what you find out.
  • Pasta,

They are looking into it in my wife's car. They gave me another Altima as a loaner and that noise is not there, or not as loud. Also, the windows do not make as much noise when they roll up and down, my wife's car does. They are working on it. My wife was so upset, she wanted her old car back.
  • gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,769
    I have a 2003 2.5S with just under 16k. It's recently developed a problem where the engine emits a squeaking noise on first start up in the morning. The sound is definitely coming from the front of the engine. As the car warms up, the squeaking quiets down but I am not sure if it goes away all together. I haven't noticed any degradation in engine performance.

Since it's summer, the car is not getting overly cold so I'm worried that something may not be getting lubricated correctly. Has anyone encountered this problem or heard about a TSB on this?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
  • Pasta,
    As of now, all the computer models, etc. are within specs. I think I will be getting the car back today. I will see how things go, but the Altima loaner that they gave me (and I will drive one of the cars on the lot today) does not make that noise. I also talked to them about putting in a booster or something for the horrible reception, but they say there is not much they can do for that either. My wife is hoping for the lemon law to kick in, but I doubt it will. Just some kinks to work out.
    Sounds like a bad serpentine belt tensioner or bad bearing on one of the accessories. You're still under warranty, so if nothing else, take it in to have the complaint noted--since it only happens when the car is cold, it may not be reproducable unless you want to leave the car at the dealer over night. Mine chirps very lightly, for a second or two, but it's not yet bad enough to get repaired, especially given that I'm out of warranty.
  • Hope everything works on your car now. Did they find out what is causing the whining? It's time for an oil change in my car, I will check then when the representative will be coming to the dealership to listen to the noise in my car.
  • Pasta,

Not yet. I will be taking it back on Saturday and riding with the tech and service rep again.

I have driven a few other Altimas and I do not hear this whining. They say that all the tests show that things are working to "factory specs", but I do not believe that. The sound is hard to describe, but I will try. There is a whine coming from the right side of the engine (if you are in the driver seat facing forward). It sounds like the engine is trying to shift gears and running at a lot higher RPMS than it actually is running. It is one of those sounds that just sticks in your head and won't go away, even with the radio on.

I am upset that the dealer told me he rode in the back seat of the car, yet when I left yesterday, it had the same amount of miles as when I brought it in. They were running tests on machines. He should be calling Nissan today, and if things do not move along, I will be calling 800 Nissan1 to speak with someone too.

I continue to push the "worst case scenario" issue and they will not even talk about it or a possible new vehicle. In the mean time, I am greatly inconvenienced and will be paying a car note soon for a car that is not in my possession. It is as if I were divorced and my wife took my car, but I still have to make payments and deal with the headaches of the vehicle. :)
  • I just purchased an 05 Altima SL/3.5 on Saturday (9/11) and I've had it in the shop now twice for radio problems and wind whistle from the right front passanger door.

The dealership is ordering a new radio for me and the window noise problem is suppose to be fixed -- I haven't had a chance to drive the highway yet.

My question is what else can I expect from Nissan? I've owned Honda and Ford before and never expeirenced this?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    TONIGHT - 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET
    Get LIVE feedback on your maintenance or repair problems. Join our guest experts alcan, 0patience, and mr_shiftright as they tackle your fix-it questions!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews