Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I went out in the morning, and my fuel gauge read empty but I knew I had 1/2 tank of gas. After I put gas in my "service engine soon" light came on. I went to dealer and it was diagnosed with "bad fuel pump assembly". thanks for your post
  • I have a '02 SE and have not had a problem with the fuel assembly, but I did get a notice of a recall on a fuel filter that is freezing in cold weather.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,078
    There is a TSB on this issue, and what you describe is considered normal operation for the foglamps. I think the engineers (correctly) presumed that fog lights should only be operated (manually) when there is fog, and then turned off (also manually).
  • I have a 2001 Nissan Altima GXE. I started experiencing problems with the keyless-entry trunk feature a couple of days ago. The trunk keeps popping open even without me pushing the button on the remote. Even with the alarm armed, the trunk still pops and the alarm starts going off.
         It's going to be hard for me to take it to a dealer since I recently moved to England and the car is here with me. Before all of this happened, here's a little run-down on what I had to get done to the car for it to be roadworthy here in England:
         - I had to splice my wires from my turn signals to the corner amber markers so they'll act as turn signals as well.
         - My 3rd brake light is now a "fog light" with a switch. Since it gets very foggy in England, I was required to disconnect my 3rd brake light and it turns on when I hit the switch.
         - I also recently changed my rear brake lamps to the '00 model since they have the amber turn signals on them. I used the old sealant and put it on the new lamps, could water leakage cause the problem? Maybe water's getting into the wires and shorting it out?

I would greatly appreciate any help I can get on this matter. I'm scared to drive my car to the malls for fear that my trunk will just pop open and anybody can break it. Luckily, this doesn't happen on the military base I work at.
  • gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,760
    Thanks for the heads up on the TSB, Corvette. I would take issue with the engineers assumption that the foggies would only be manually operated when there is fog. I find that the foggies cast a nice broad low beam. This extra illumination really helps to improve peripheral vision especially when making turns. I like to have them on whenever I'm drving at night. Ultimatley, this seems like a design flaw to me but one that I can live with reluctantly.
  • Hello, Has any one come up with any solutions to a 2000 altima idle problem such as message 580...My Altima;s idle jumps fom 500-1000rpm at idle when stopped after running for a while.Full tune up done and problem still persists...thanks ts
  • cheenah. 3 days after i got my car i went to a mCdonalds drive through and my auto window switch wasnt working, in a quick panic i pounded my fist onto the auto window switches (always worked on my old TV...) and i heard a snap and it started working again! Then a few days later it wouldnt work again, i fiddled with the switch pushing from left to right and heard a snap again and voila! It worked again! Now 11 months later it has yet to give me fits.
  • dalawdalaw Posts: 37
    I have a 97 Altima and every time the dealer changes the oil, they put in way more oil than the "F" mark as shown on the dipstick, like all the way to the next bend of the stick after that mark. Can this damage the engine?
  • gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,760
    Manufacturers recommend an oil level for a reason: putting in more than is recommended can hurt an engine. Are you checking the oil on level ground with the engine turned off? Are you wiping the dipstick clean then reinserting it to check the level? If the oil is overfilled you run the risk of blowing out a seal which is usually a pricey fix.
  • Has anyone heard of their windshield wipers and windshield fluid operating and dispensing on their own?
  • I have problem starting car in the morning.Car will not start untill i give gas.I went to mechanic & he changed distributor cap& wires.He also changed distributor assembly(p/n 3158470).Also changed ignition wires.After all this i still have problem.Every time i go to him he is finding different parts need to be change.So far i spent close to $1000.After intial start i don't have any problem.
             Thanks
    Which year Altima is this? Many owners of 2002+ models report a cold start issue when the temperature is low. The suggested solutions I have seen are to give it gas until it starts, or change to synthetic oil that flows better in cold weather. I'd get a second opinion before spending any more money.
  • I have a 95 nissan altima automatic. I'm trying to figure out whats wrong with my transmission, It won't go into third gear, if i hit the gas hard sometimes it will go into third. My engine code pop up with 3rd trans signal. This started as soon as we started getting cold weather. MY egr valve not working either would that cause that not to shift up.
  • ops1ops1 Posts: 25
    I have a 1999 Altima with 41,000 miles. About a year ago, I noticed a metallic rattling noise mostly during idle (but not all the time). It would get more pronounced at higher rpms. I brought the car to the dealer back then, but they could not replicate the noise. Since then I have heard the noise occasionally but usually while the car is in reverse immediately after starting. I brought the car to the dealer again to look at this because my powertrain warranty is up at the end of the year. This time they heard the noise and told me the tensioner pulley needs replacement. Their estimate is $350 (together with a couple of other items they would replace at the same time) and they claim it is not covered by the warranty. I took a quick look at the powertrain warranty and it does cover the the "timing chain and tensioner" under the engine section. Has anyone else had this problem? Any chance that it is in fact covered by the warranty (only 18 days until the warranty expires!!!)?
    For a squeaking noise, the tensioner they are referring to is for the drive belt. The Altima does have a timing chain but that's not what's causing the noise. If you are not averse to working on your own car, you can probably replace the drive belt and tensioner for around $150 plus an hour of your time.
    Thanks for the input re the drive belt. One more question - is this something that should go at 41K? I know I heard it way before 35K. The car has had no other issues since original purchase. As to working on my own car, I know my limitations.
  • I have an 02 se and noticed after washing it, there seems to be an excessive amount of water which has collected on all 4 door sills and door columns. I don't have wind noise, but it's anoying, as I don't seem to recall this on any other car I've had.. Anybody else have this problem ??????????????
    Also, it was good to read the posts re:the radio.. I've notice I can't seem to get alot of radio stations, as well as some of the pre-sets are static... I'm going to contact the dealer..
    Other than that, I like the car!
    It should have lasted longer, but as they say, stuff happens....
  • I have a 2002 Altima SL with 26,000 miles. Let me just say first that the Continental Tires are terrible, slippier than a wet seal on anything but dry pavement. I am buying Kumo Tires recommended by Tire Rack. Second, the back started bouncing around all over the place at about 15,000 miles. I had a 4 wheel alignment, which helped immediately, but now already seems to be loosening up again. Has anyone had similar problems?
    I just heard back from Nissan, and they will cover the tensioner pulley and the belt. They said the belt is technically not covered, but they agreed to do it since there is no additional labor. Thanks again for your input.