Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• i just purchased a 01 gxe LE. 29,000 K.WENT OUT TO SHOVEL AFTER BLIZZARD AND THE CAER WONT START.I PUT GAS IN IT YESTERDAY WAS RUNNING AROUND TOWN,CAR WAS RUNNING FINE. IM HOPING ITS JUST A FROZEN GAS LINE . DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THIS CAR HAS A HISTORY OF BAD FUEL PUMPS?
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    With 73k on the odometer, this car is starting to nickel and dime us. Now the driver power front window works sporadically. Can anyone offer me some help here...bad motor, acctuator...? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last saturday, some knucklehead hit the passenger side power mirror, destoyed it and drove off. Spent $240. for a replacement mirror, but now need to get it painted to match the Titanium Frost color.

Here's a list of recent expenditure's :

(1) replaced Valve Cover Gasket, Front Crank Seal, and Lower Oil Pan Gasket to cure persistent oil leak.

(2) replaced battery, Oil Pressure Switch and right and left Side Axles.

(3) Rear brakes.

(4) replaced Radiator, Water Pump and Front Engine Mount.

All this work was done within a 13 month period...and now the finiky power window.

Needless to say, we're not happy campers!!!

The Sandman :-(
  • Hey Sandman,

Did you ever get advice on the driver side power front window? Mine's dying too - 2000 Altima with 49K Miles and wanted some tips. Did you get your looked at?

Thanks,

dc_newbie
    Spoke to my mechanic yesterday, and he thinks it's either the power window switch or the window motor, but his gut feeling is the switch in that the window goes down fine...comming up is the problem.

The wife has decided to wait until it breaks or until after we visit the Ft. Lauderdale Auto Show in March, as she wants to find a vehicle that she's comfortable with first in case we buy before Memorial Day. Deep down she really wants a newer car, and what better place to check out all the competing models on her short list.

Let's hope the window holds up, but you know how it goes...after putting money into a higher mileage car, you end up buying a new car within a short period of time!

The Sandman :-(
  • Thanks Sandman!

I actually took my car to the dealer and he diagnosed that the problem was the switch itself. I went over to parts and they confirmed that they seel lots of these. I bought a OEM replacement switch for $87 and it took me about 10 mins to change it myself. The power windows work perfect now - both directions ...knock on wood :-)

If you decide to change it and need help changing it - feel free to ping me at schnappes98@yahoo.com.

After playing around with the older (bad) switch it occurs to me that the driver side (auto) window button is different from the others and sometimes need to pull or tug it higher to operate the window. I did a bunch of diff tests, and if you ever get stuck it might be easiest to push down on the swicth all the away (and don't worry about the window going down) and then pull it up (may need a lil more force on the switch)....

Well it's been a fun morning....playing around with it and figuring it out....

Good Luck!
    Thanks for the info, had a feeling it was the switch actually. At this point, we're gonna leave it alone as the car might be gone in the not so distant future. Funny, it works for me 90% of the time.

Again, thanks for the information and glad I could help you out!!!

The Sandman :-)
  • Hey everyone,

I hope you can help me. A very good friend of mine owns a 1998 Altima SE and when she drives down the interestate after about 50 miles or so she starts to hear this chirping which is intermitenet and then becomes a constant howl as she drives.

I know that it is speed governed (faster she goes the faster the chirp and then the howl)

She just had all the brakes replaced, and checked

It is coming from the front right corner..

I think that it might be a drive axle, but i dont know much or enough about these cars to tell.. What do you guys think it could be??

Thanks ahead of time for the help!!
  • My hubby bought a used 93 altima std 5 speed from a small dealer in Otterville oont paid $1750.00 has 263K drove it 2 days alternator went$245.00 replaced myself 1 month later thanksgiving weekend canadian clutch went I replaced it new $375.00 2 days later clutch cylinder went replaced new, gave it an oil change etc. 1 month later nov 10th it dies out and out died sputter put put gone wont start if you can get it to start it won't rev won't move at all father in law took it to a shop $550.00 later they replaeced spark plugs, ignit switch, starter coil, distributor cap, another oil change...?(why)? and went to drive it home smae thing sputter sputter put died less than 1 block away from shop. I went to the shop and complained they said SOL. I was like what? Well it died nov 10th no warning light no naise just gone. I know I have to replace sway bar rad front breaks, & shock strut all around. Is there any kind of fix for this problem? or just out and out a lemon? I just want the car to run so we can sell it as is... and get back some of the thousands of $$$ we have put into it in less than 1 year since owning it, there has been many other little things replaces egr valve o2 sensors air filters etc... Any hepl would be of great thanks.

Titania
  • I have a nissan axxess 93 auto as well it seems to have the same not wanting to start problem. I took it to a shop they replaced timing chain & 2 guides $510. got the van back and it won't start unless given gas never had 1 problem with this van, love it going to sell out 93 altima it is JUNK. I replaced the COOLANT TEMP SENSOR because it gets to warm temp in about 2 minutes driving or not, last summer we did try to replace the egr ( this van has none?) so the dealer says well install one for about $800.00 I say if there wasn't one in the first place then why did I need one? don't sell me crap i don't need... I say. so I went on replaced the o2 censor front end needs shock & strut all around, right cv axle needs replace. The weirdest thing since I've got the van Back from the shop when it is running moving or not you can see the km reading going up up up by the minutes just running it for about 5 minutes put 8km on van without even moving it al all. when driving around I swear it counts the km faster than it should, or driving around turn on the radio and maybe the wipers and the speedometer goes over to 240kn/ph and sits there till it decides Hey were not going 240 or till shut down, I know it has to be electrical but I am female and I have lost most faith in mechanics because if I don't do the work myself the bill is always over $500.00 I don't know if that’s because I am a girl or what but every time I take either of our cars to a shop it is still not running or not running right at all. Now I would have posted this in the axxess forum but there’s not a single post there... so my previous post #887 and this one out of the 2 vehicles which one would you keep and which one to junk?

Thank You Very Much

Titania or

theonlytitania@gmail.com
  • I recently bought a Nissan Altima of 1994 model and it seems to have oil leakage. Could you tell me how much does it cost to repair this leakage? Thanks!!!
    The wife has the car out and won't be home till later tonite. Will post all that was done, parts and labor, tomorrow after work.

Right now, no leaks and except the power window switch, the car is working great. If we decide to keep the car, I will get the switch replaced and the black passenger side mirror painted in Titanium Frost to match the car. Hate to spend any more $ on the car if the wife wants something newer.

Will know more after the Ft. Lauderdale Auto Show next month.

• Thank You for your response....please let me know the labor and any new part u had to purchase so that i spend accordingly. The oil leaks somewhere new the front tyres...what do u think it could be , the same prob as u had??
    Let me list what we had done on our '01 GXE.

(1) replaced oil pressure switch.

part-$13

labor-$30

(2) replace valve cover gasket

part-$7.13

labor-$24

(3) replace front crank seal

part-$6.30

labor-$120

(4) replace lower oil pan gasket sealer

parts-$8.98 (oil pan sealer)

$3.67 (spark plug tube seal)

$7.00 (4 quarts oil)

labor-$84.

After all this was done...NO MORE LEAKS! We are thrilled, but the power window is bumming us out!

Hopefully, this will help with your problem.

• I have a 99 Altima GXE. About a month ago I left the lights on (no warning beep) and drained the battery. Got a jump, and things went back to normal except that my remotes will no longer work, and if I get out of the car with the engine running the doors automatically relock. (locked me out twice before I started leaving the door ajar, very inconvenient since I make deliveries, and started carrying a seperate set of keys so I wouldn't have to crawl under to find my hide-a-key.)

Is there a code that I can reset to make the remotes work again, and perhaps incidentally keep the doors from relocking?

I appreciate any help.
  • So I just got out of my 1999 Ford Ranger with 120k miles, and into a 2001 Nissan Altima with 20k miles on it. I bring it home, drive it around for a night and the next day, the engine is bucking. When I'm in park it idles very high, then very low, when I'm driving it wants to stop, then go faster, and I can't get it to go more than 45-50 miles an hour, with the pedal to the METAL, and the car is jolting when it switches gears (automatic of course, I KNEW I wanted a standard) Car is of course still under warranty, and I will take it back on Monday, just wondering if anyone has any insite as to what this could be, or if it has happened to anyone else, because I REALLY want to keep this car. I've fallen in LOVE with it, but don't want to keep a junk car that has all these problems with it.
  • And I forgot to add that the check engine soon light was flickering for about 10 minutes then stayed on steadily.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    "a junk car that has all these problems with it"

One problem, several symptoms. The only way to determine the cause is by retrieving the stored diagnostic trouble codes, but from the description I'd suspect the mass airflow sensor or a leak in the intake ducting.
  • At the present time we have a 2003 Honda 4 cylinder automatic Accord that is 24 months old with 44,000+ miles on the clock. The vehicle has been excellent in terms of quality, and my dealer is outstanding. NOW FOR THE ISSUE! The "A" pillars to the left and right of the windshield block visibility when making a left turn into a street and / or waiting at a stop sign, and looking for on-coming traffic from the right. Since the vehicle will be paid off in Feb. 2006, (with about 60,000 miles on the clock), we are considering purchasing a 2006 Nissan Altima. Does the Nissan Altima have this visibility issue? What is the quality of this vehicle? What kind of treatment can we expect from the dealer and / or the factory if we have a problem with the Altima? Is the Altima as good as, or better than, the Accord?
  • I sure hope it's something along those lines. I was thinking more along the lines of a problem with the transmission, since it bucks and almost stalls when I stop.

Having more time to drive it this morning to the dealership, I figured out that if I drive it with the overdrive off, it runs a whole lot better, but I still have the same problems. It's in the shop now and I have a loaner, so I guess I'll just wait and see what it was.

I guess saying "a junk car that has all these problems with it" was a little harsh, it's just that this is my first time buying a car from a dealer, I'm a single mother and this was SCARY. To think I paid $11,000 for a car and it's broke, is something I would rather not have going on. Thank GOD it's still under warranty.

Thanks for your help!
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    With the computerized controls on newer vehicles, sometimes a problem with one component can cause a host of seemingly unrelated symptoms. Post back and let us know the outcome.