Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have a 2005 Nissan Altima and received a similar letter. It states that my vehicle being an 05 model should not have any issues but is included. I received a sticker which extends the corrosion warranty to 13 years for this issue. It advises to put the sticker on the warranty manual for the car as a reminder. My letter also states that the corrosion could lead to a knocking noise. It states that it will not affect handling characteristics of the vehicle and is safe to drive. I would believe this would not affect the alignment? Letter states if you see any cracking or knocking noises that Nissan will repair the vehicle at no charge to you during this extended warranty period which states 13 years. You would not need an alignment if it were not for the repair. Could confirm with Nissan corporate 1-800-Nissan1. :sick:
  • edvkedvk Posts: 8
    Have you or the dealers considered that one of the brake calipers may be dragging and causing the pull?

Try some experiments, like applying the brakes evenly from a higher speed. Does the pulling stop?

It could also be a difference in tire pressure from one side to the other?

Also review some of the discussions about bad struts. This may also indicate a problem.

Good luck.
  • I have always had a manual transmission, I now own a automatice, with Traction Control system, it snowed bad last night, about 21/2 inches going up an incline my car almost stopped from 30 miles an hour to 15 miles no matter how hard my foot was on the gas pedal, when this happens should I turn my TCS off?????This is a 2006 Altima nissan, or should I change the tires?? Really weirded out over this.Maybe I should sell car and get a manual again. :confuse:
  • Hi gassy,
    I have an 05 Altima as well, and just the other day, I smelled a strong fuel odor coming through my vents, I thought it was the car in front of me. I will keep an eye out for it again. Needless to say, I dropped my car off at the dealership today because I have had condesation build up inside the car on the windshield, plus there is a heavy water sloshing coming from my dashboard, along with the faint odor of anti-freeze.
  • ama22ama22 Posts: 2
    My Nissan Altima '02 was running fine and then it made a sound and then died. all of the fluids were full and it was maintained every 3000 miles. All anybody could say was that the motor seized and now I need a new one. I contacted Nissan and they said to get it towed to a dealership and see what the problem is at my cost, but the next person at Nissan basically told me to bad. Mileage is at 70K. Can anybody help?
  • ama22ama22 Posts: 2
    My Altima '02 died. They said the motor seized. I was never informed about any recalls except for the headlight. Do you have any info on what to do? I replied to message from Dave88 that you also replied to.
  • Altima would not start one day, dead battery. We jumped it and the engine light came on but started right up. Replaced the battery at Autozone and they scanned a problem code 0340, camshaft position sensor. Car starts fine, runs great but the engine light stays on, scanned the computer again and same error. I have been to dealers, parts stores and no one has a part called a camshaft position sensor just a crankshaft position sensor but that sensor does not return a problem code. I am trying to find out what this camshaft sensor is and where it is located. One dealer said it would be $1200 but would not tell me what the problem was. I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes to try and reset the computer but the light just stayed on. Thanks for all the help and I hope someone can give me some direction
  • I have a '05 2.5S with 22K miles. Has anyone ever noticed a burning smell from the rear of the car; not burnt oil, but a smell of burnt plastic or other material. Also, has anyone noticed cracking sounds from the front suspension or has anyone noticed a hard shift from 1st to 2nd gear on the automatic?
    thanks,
  • I finally had the dealer find the problem to the stalling in the 2003 Altima.It seems it was code PO335 which is a open circuit in the crank and cam sensors. They just replaced the sensors and now it runs fine.
  • I own a 2004 Altima and whenever I apply the brakes the stick shift clicks. Any suggestions at to what it might be?
    Joe
  • haefrhaefr Posts: 600
    Though you had the car serviced every 3,000 miles, how often did YOU check the engine oil level between oil changes? Something, either mechanically or oil-volume related, interfered with the pressurized supply of lubricating oil to the engine's sliding parts. The shop won't get a real handle on just what went wrong until the engine is disassembled for inspection. If the car's out of warranty, you're likely on the hook to the tune of at least $5,000.00, and probably more. If the oil filter failed in some way that would deprive the engine of oil pressure, you'd have a claim against the filter manufacturer, though. I suggest you be there when the engine is torn down and DEMAND the old oil filter so that you can submit it to the manufacturer for evaluation if the filter is an aftermarket part. If the old filter IS a genuine Nissan filter, you'd still have a claim unless your engine is obviously damaged from sludging or other non-filter related defect.
  • i just recently bought a used 2002 altima with 95k on it . since purchase i have put 4 k on and had the problem with oil consumption and went for my oil change. but all at once i'm hearing a rattling tick during acceleration . now i have called the local dealer about the 100k powertrain warranty but i was told i must be able to provide all the maintence records since i had purchased the car from mazda and not nissan . i am now working on the follow up with mazda but please if anyone has through this before please contact me .

its a rattling tick that sounds almost like a diesel motor during acceleration at around 2000 rpm

sorry its a 2.5 sl
  • 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5, 48,800 miles. No detectible problems with the engine, but the "service engine soon" light came on recently. Strangely, at the time time, the tail lights aren't coming on when I turn on the headlights. The brake lights, turn signals and reverse lights all work properly, as do all of the other electronic components in the vehicle. My (independent) mechanic tells me that Nissan has not yet released the software needed for him to run a diagnostic on the car, but he suspects that these two issues are related somehow. Without trying to quote him, I think he mentioned something about the O2 sensor doing something to cause the tail light outtage. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm taking my car to the clean...err...DEALER day after tomorrow so that that they can diagnose it. Hello/Good-bye tax refund!
    -Paul
    PS...this is my first posting, so I hope I did it right!
  • nashynashy Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 1997 altima. We check and is no code. If you find the answer please e-mail me mine is driving me crazy.
  • I have Nissan Altima 2002 2.5SE that stalled while I was driving. Sometime it paused and kept going but sometime it just stopped. I took it to the car dealer 3 days ago. They couldn't find any thing wrong with the car and they recommended to have the chamber cleaned. I agreed. However, the car stalled on me again yesterday. I called the dealer and set up an appointment with them next Monday. You mentioned that you found the true problem with your car. Could you please share the information with me? At least the dealer has some idea what to fix.

Thank you,
    Sue
  • I have Nissan Altima 2002 2.5SE that stalled while I was driving. Sometime it paused and kept going but sometime it just stopped. I took it to the car dealer 3 days ago. They couldn't find any thing wrong with the car and they recommended to have the chamber cleaned. I agreed. However, the car stalled on me again yesterday. I called the dealer and set up an appointment with them next Monday. You mentioned that you found the true problem with your car. Could you please share the information with me? At least the dealer has some idea what to fix.

Thank you,
    Sue
  • lxgwlxgw Posts: 6
    Thx for this info!

Actually the problem is not only about 1/5-1/4 fuel left when the Empty light turns on, it's also related to the on-board computer which gives wrong 'dte' (distance to empty) infomation. As definately a bug/defect and they just do not want to address.
  • lxgwlxgw Posts: 6
    thank u GMCTRUCK

you are right in certain sense. I came to notice this problem when i was driving on I-90 in North Dakota. With that huge distance between one gas station to another, it's terrible to see the light is on and you have at least another 50miles before you can get gas. I stopped and call AAA for roadside service. And next thing you can imagine is how furious i was when i arrived the next gas station.

What you suggest is useful, although not a fix at all. I guess that's one of the many reasons the mechanics from the dealership address us as 'u americans'.

I discuss w/ my felloew in auto industry. our guess is the design of the 20-gallon tank is very flat on the bottom. But we probably could never verify this through Nissan.

anyway, thx for ur advice; and it is my suggestion to others too.
  • Hi all,

I have a 2001 Altima with an instrument cluster problem. It started after a few days of rain...the speedo, tach, odometer and such will just stop working intermittently while driving. It will usually start working properly after the car sits for a while, then do the same thing. It doesn't appear to affect the car's operation at all, but it's a pain. Any ideas?

If it's a cluster problem, how do I take it out?

Thanks,

Jack
  • fooffoof Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with my 03 Altima - can you please help & tell me how you fixed your problem? Thanks!
  • The warranty has expired and now the heater does not blow hot air when the engine is at idle. It works ok when above about 1200 RPM. Has anyone had a similar problem and if so, what was done to fix it?
  • Resolved! (I'm replying to my own missive) The connector pin had somehow fallen apart, causing my tail lights to go out....this was replaced, and problem solved. The service engine soon light was resolved by replacing a missing fuse. The fuse was probably reinstalled in the wrong hole while I was checking them for the tailight problem! Ok...I feel stupid now, but had to share this with anyone interested. Sometimes, the most perplexing problems have the simplest answers!
  • My step-son just had the same problem with his 96 Nissan and I am just beginning the search on what it might be. It has stalled twice, but would eventually start later but this time it will just turn over and will not start. If someone would, please send some advice on where to start. THANKS!
  • I had a similar problem on my Altima 2000.

Turns out it was a leak in my cooling system and my radiator was nearly empty - good job I noticed the heat gage.

When I refilled the radiator, the heater started working again

mellinvg
  • Thanks for the input. Pull issue was noticed between 5-6K miles. 1st alignment was done at 8K miles. Dragging brake was inquired on but latest Nissan dealer after 4th alignment ruled this out. Tire psi is equal among tires and at rec psi. I will look into struts. Nissan no longer acknowledges my issue at 14K miles / returns my calls etc. :sick:
  • financfinanc Posts: 6
    I have had a similar problem. There was a slight pull
    with my 2005 Altima S since I purchased it. I did not pay much attention because it was not very bad. But it did develop a vibration later. I took a long trip when the car was about 8 months old. The vibration got worse. I took it back to the service when I returned home and surprise !!!. All tires were worn very badly and I just exceeded 12K mileage. They came up with a $1000 estimate that included changing only one of the tires and a bunch of things that they wanted to do. They told me that it was
    not safe to drive the car. After fruitless
    discussions on how such a new car car be unsafe to drive and how it can not be under warranty, I purchased a new set of tires and had them aligned for 400+. The local service is quite unhappy that I had the
    work done somewhere else rather than paying them a lot of money and I don't think they will treat me well if I go back for any warranty covered issues. But the thing is I still have that slight pull. It seems to be a design
    feature of the car... No more Nissans.
  • i had the exact same problem and i brought it to Mechanics but they had no clue either so I brought it to the Local Nissan Dealership and its an air pocket in the cooling system that leaks into the heater. So they told me they had to go inside and Suck out the air pocket and reseal it. now my heater works even when I stop at a red light. They told only nissan have the special tools to get it out. Hopefully i was helpful to you if you need anymore questions i can ask my advisor exactly what its called.
  • My mother is having the same problem with her 93 Altima. We've replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, and coil. Still having the same problem. Has anyone found a solution yet?
  • Dear All,

I own a 1998 Nissan Altima. Yesterday I lost my car key and more importantly, my fob (the remote door lock thingy) when I went to ski in PA (had a few reallly bad falls).

I am now using the spare key. My question is: how do I get a new fob? Do I have to go to a dealer? How much should I expect to pay? I am a poor graduate student and this sort of puts me in the lurch. Is there a cheap way out?

Thanks in advance to all those who reply.
  • Dear All,

I own a 1998 Nissan Altima. Yesterday I lost my car key and more importantly, my fob (the remote door lock thingy) when I went to ski in PA (had a few reallly bad falls).

I am now using the spare key. My question is: how do I get a new fob? Do I have to go to a dealer? How much should I expect to pay? I am a poor graduate student and this sort of puts me in the lurch. Is there a cheap way out?

Thanks in advance to all those who reply.