Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Sales guy looked at it and said I could have the tech guys look at it but I asked to see another 3.5 SE 2005 and test it out. He let me sit in another 3.5 SE and I played around with the A/C controls and the same results. So I chalked it up to a design issue. Here is the interesting part. I went to an auction and they had a 3.5SL 2005 and I tried the A/C controls on it. On the 3.5SL you cant have A/C on with out having the recirculate button on. If you trun off the recirculate the A/C light will automatically go off and if you turn on the A/C the recirculate light will automatically go on. This does not happen in the 3.5SE. Thats a bunch of crap. I really think that the 3.5SE has design issues but was just designed for speed and performance and 3.5SL has the good quality/design that the 3.5SE lacks. Reply back on what the dealer says about your A/C
  • financfinanc Posts: 6
    Codered2,

Thanks for the response. Mine is a 2005 S and as long as I don't touch the recirculate
    button, A/C button works fine. If the recirculate button is turned on for any reason either by me or by pushing the MAX A/C, the A/C compressor comes on as if the A/C button was pushed and it stays on till the engine is shut down. For example, I can start the A/C by only pushing the recirculate button although the A/C button is off. Since you can start A/C by pushing the recirculate button, why do you need to have an A/C button? I hope they don't claim that is a design feature built into the A/C system. I hope to post the response I get from the Nissan Service tomorrow.

Regards,
  • The car has no oil pressure. We changed the oil filter & still has no oil pressure. What could the problem be? The car runs just has no oil pressure. Help!!
  • mrachmrach Posts: 1
    Thanks for the info. This worked! 100% better. Have a 2005 Altima SL and the vibration was so bad above 60 mph I dreaded getting into the thing each day. Like others, I was getting the run-a-round at the dealership; wheel balancings, excuses and Nissan reps. Took me longer to gather the screw driver and pliers to remove the clips than it did to take them out. What is the purpose of the air dam? Can it be left off?
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Remove the oil pressure sending unit and install a mechanical pressure guage to verify oil pressure.
  • What are the main differences between the 2005 Altima and the 2005 2.5S Altima. I just need to know in case i go used. thanks
  • ewe2ewe2 Posts: 20
    I just purchased a new 2005S and also went to the dealer about this. This info is on pages 4-12 thru 4-21 of the owners manual and unfortunately it is a built in feature. I am currently selling my 2005 Altima after only 600 mile because of this feature. And the A/C will turn on if you use the windshield/floor setting and windshield only setting. Once it's activated the only way to turn the A/C off is to restart your car. Very bad design especially with the raising price of gas. Quoted from the pages of the owners manual.

Taken from the owners manual.

Defrosting or defogging.

When the "Windshield Only symbol" is selected. The air conditioning automatically turns on (However the indicator light will not illuminate) if the outside temperature is more than 36 degrees. The air conditioning system will continue to operate until the vehicle is restarted, even if the the air flow control dial is turned to a position other than the "Windshield" position.

Heating and defogging.

When the "Windshield and Floor symbol" is selected. The air conditioning automatically turns on (However the indicator light will not illuminate) if the outside temperature is more than 36 degrees. The air conditioning system will continue to operate until the vehicle is restarted, even if the the air flow control dial is turned to a position other than the "Windshield and Floor" position.

Dehumidified defogging.

When the "Windshield Only symbol or the Windshield and Floor symbol", or positions in between are selected, the air conditioning automatically turns on (However the indicator light will not illuminate) if the outside temperature is more than 36 degrees. The air conditioning system will continue to operate until the vehicle is restarted, even if the the air flow control dial is turned to a position other than the "Windshield" position.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    You're joking I hope...right? Can't you just live with the a/c system the way it is? Why take a loss on something so...minor? Am I missing something here or what. If the a/c works cold like it should, what's the problem? I can see if you had serious issues like some on the Mazda 3 boards, but sell because of this...?
    Someone please help me understand in a simple reply, don't need all the details, just the necessary facts about what's wrong and what y'all think about the way it should work.
    Thanks all. On our '01 Alty, the a/c system was so simple and it always worked. Even our new 3 a/c works like it should.

The Sandman :)
  • Are you saying that the A/C NEVER turns off once it is started other than turning off the car? It should turn off when you turn off the fan. It should not run when the fan is off even if the A/C button is pressed or recirculate is pressed. I would deal with having to turn the fan off and on instead of taking a loss of like 2k-3k on a brand new car. I only have 700 miles on my 3.5SE and I would not take the loss. Also the warm months are less then half of the year. You won't need the A/C in the other months.
    But if you re-read what I copied from the owner's manual it states. If you use the defroster/heater mode or the defroster only mode, the AC turns on if the outside temp is above 36 degree. And the only way to keep it off is to not use the defroster mode at all. I live in the north east where you use these settings most of the fall/winter/spring seasons. So you will end up driving your car with the AC always on. Unless as you say, turn the fan off. But when you turn the fan back on, the AC will come back on.

Unless you go outside in the morning. Start your car and turn the defroster on to de -fog/ice your windshield. And then when your ready to leave. Restart your car with the defroster setting off and drive. But remember. If during that drive you need to use your defroster again. The AC will be on until you shut your car off.

Now I commute on the NYS Thruway 50 miles each way to work. So if I have to use my defroster during that commute. I end up running the AC thus decreasing my gas mileage.

It's a very poor design. And to me. Yes, worth the 2 or 3 grand loss.
    Yours has a different system. The way it should be. Why they did this is beyond me. Basically my ac will be on year round every time I drive the car with the way it's set up. Unless you just do not use any of the defroster modes or the recycle mode.

If you live near Albany, New York. I have a heck of a deal sitting in my garage for you. $17500. takes it.
    ;-)
    D
  • My problem is similiar but is confined to the blower selection. 1994 Altima GXE 137K miles (still running strong). One day, I was running the blower on 2 and turned off the car. Restarted the car about 10 minutes later and the blower just died. Turned it to 3 and worked fine for about two minutes, then it died too. Now, the blower only works on 4 - been running like that for over a year now.
    Checked the fuses - and they are good. I don't really think it's the motor cause it still run on 4 - but I could be wrong.
    Any suggestions?

I plan on replacing it myself but would like to know of other alternatives or solutions before shelling out $80 bucks on the new motor.

Thanks.
    If I'm not mistaken I had a similar problem with my Stanza. Some resister had to be replaced and I don't remember the dealer charging a lot to fix it.

D
  • If you press the A/C button and not press the recirculate button then the A/C can be turned on and off by pressing the A/C button. If you press recirculate at any time the car is on then the A/C will always stay on until you restart the car.
    I read in the Honda Forum relating to a question an Element owner posted. Seems the AC comes on when she used the windshield defrost option and wondered if it was normal. Of course it is but a reader posted this info. I wonder if Nissan has a procedure to turn change the automatic settings in the 2005. If yes then I would keep the car. Has anyone heard of a Nissan procedure?

To deactivate automatic a/c feature on 2003 Element:

1) Turn vehicle off.
    2) Turn fan knob off.
    3) Turn temperature knob all the way to the left (blue area).
    4) Turn vent knob to panel only setting (next to max a/c).
    5) Hold down both air recirculation button and a/c button while turning the key to the "run" position (one short of starting).
    6) Continue holding for 7 seconds until air recirculation button stops flashing.
    7) Anytime you engage the defrost or defrost/heat positions, the A/C will automatically turn on. Press the A/C button to turn the A/C compressor OFF, the light will go out.

NOTE: If the climate control computer is disconnected from battery power, it will likely revert to factory settings.

To reactivate automatic a/c feature on 2003 Element:

1) Turn vehicle off.
    2) Turn fan knob off.
    3) Turn temperature knob all the way to the left (blue area).
    4) Turn vent knob all the way to the right (defrost position).
    5) Hold down both air recirculation button and a/c button while turning the key to the "run" position (one short of starting).
    6) Continue holding for 7 seconds until air recirculation button stops flashing.
    7) After the 7 seconds described in step 6, the recirculation button will start to flash. Continue to hold the button for another 7 seconds. After this, the a/c light will turn to green and it's finished!
  • My 2001 Nissan Altima loses power when I stop or slow my car down. It happens when I am at a light, and most recently when I pulled into my driveway, it killed when I was putting it into park. The idle does not change, I just hear some kind of click near the dashboard and I lose power. I had my fuel filter changed and the shop did a diagnostic test and found nothing. It killed 6 times yesterday-and has no problem starting back up! HELP
  • feemenfeemen Posts: 2
    i have 94 it is not the fuel pump :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • financfinanc Posts: 6
    I have an 2005 Altima 2.5S. It developed a vibration accompanied by was a hissing/wobbling sound coming from the front. The service told me that the alignment is
    very far off and basically all the tires are severely worn so that it is not safe to drive
    the car. I was told that the reason for all that was a bent wheel. I independently have it
    checked and it was confirmed that the wheel was really bent. Can a single bent wheel
    cause such a severe alignment that I loose all my tires in only 13,000 miles or they are
    using that as an excuse?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
  • themooser,

ewe2 is correct, your blower motor resistor has blown. It is used to control fan speeds 1, 2, and 3. Speed 4 is the maximum blower motor speed, so no resistors are involved.

Replacing the resistor assembly is a very easy task. I'm not sure where it is located exactly in a 94 Altima, but in my 97 Maxima it was located just above the passengers feet. All I had to do was unplug the wire harness and remove 2 philips screws and swap out the resistor for the new one.

It takes less then 5 minutes and the new resistor is only about 30 dollars, which is much less expensive then replacing the entire blower.
  • I am having the same problem with my 2001 altima as well it is the Mass air flow meter. it is making the 4th cylinder misfire. This part is not avl used and if not fixed can make the converter go.. hopefully you will not go through the trouble i have to get this part and it is a good $penny as well