Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    deffintily something wrong there. the altima has a battery saver feature that will turn off the headlights after 5 minutes. Your lights should have gone out on their own.
    In general, it seems that the most of I have heard is that don't bother wasting time on the check engine light. I had a toyota Mr2 and lived with it for 9 years and 220,000 miles

unless you have to deal with emmisions. inspections. where I live (VA) they will automatically fail a car with a check engine light on.
  • ken75ken75 Posts: 52
    The "time delay" on the switch located with the lights must be selected before the lights will turn off automatically. If the switch is in the "time delay" mode, you have a problem as they should have turned off automatically, otherwise it may be operator error or some other problem.
    no, your wrong. You don't have to do anything. the lights will automaticly turn themselves off. there is no switch that must be selected. and before you argue with me, I own a 2007 altima 2.5s and have tested it. once the car is turned off, the lights are on a 5 minute timer.
    Well then I sure would like to know what that time delay, actually it is labeled as "auto", part of the light switch is for on our 2008 2.5 SL. I did not catch what year Altima was being discussed so it is quite likely an older model would not have this item.
    It's a 2008. and I'll quote from the owners manual, page 2-29

"Battery saver system
    If the ignition switch is turned OFF while the
    headlight switch is in the on position,
    the headlights will turn off after 5 minutes.

what your talking about is the autolight system on the sl models which allows you to set the lights to go off after a set time period. or come on when it gets dark. there are probably a couple other things it can do.

but what I'm taking about is a standard feature on all altima's.
    Was not aware of that feature. Be a good idea to break out the manual. I would then have to say there may be an electrical problem which can be a veritable son-of-a-gun to track down. Should there be a warranty in effect for this sort of thing? Good luck!
  • rugmankcrugmankc Posts: 133
    blade422c,

Sorry about the error on my above post. I believe it was the air bypass valve. It was many years ago and I can't find the receipt. Not sure if all vehicles have that item, or maybe by a different name.

Ken
  • sln74sln74 Posts: 3
    Yes! There has been a recall for this. It is to reprogram the computer.

I had replaced both sensors before the recall to reprogram the computer was put in place....nissan refused to refund me for replacing the sensors even though if I would have not had the computer error, i would not have had to replace the sensors and risk my and my childrens' lives when the car died while merging onto the hwy. Can you tell I'm pissed.

Anyway, get that done and you should be ok.

Good luck!
    Sam
  • ssspsssp Posts: 7
    New purchase Feb. 23, 2008 Altima SL....drove 2 weeks; would not start. Dealer kept for week and replaced starter on March 14 and car was picked up on Good Friday, drove out of town Saturday, and guess what? On Easter..it would not start. Had to be towed by wrecker to Dealer on Monday. ECM was replaced on 3/26 Wednesday....now Service Manager says there is a code showing up that it has a CLUTCH problem~?!? Funny...it's an automatic, 4 cylinder!! He wants to keep it until the middle of next week?~!?
    Any advice from knowledgeable gentlemen and ladies....please?~!?
    SP :cry: :lemon:
  • skinsfan3skinsfan3 Posts: 78
    Protect your self in the clinches. Get the names of everyone you spoke with about your problem, Get dates and make notes for yourself or sent confirming e mail. If and when you get into a dispute, you will have iron clad evidence of your efforts.
  • I had the same problem on mine. Very easy! Buy a new distributor with Lifetime warranty and you won't have problem anymore. I would consider ONE ADRESS to buy NEW NISSAN distributor at a very good price. It costs me 160$ + free shipping to repair this nightmare. In other case, you will get scrap yards distributor with the same problem or buy expensive rebuilt worst than scrap Nissan original parts. Buy Online from King Distributor in New York. Here is the Adress or call them v link title

1-866-699-5464
  • I've looked around this forum for a post like this but could not find one (sorry in advance if this was posted already!) In nov. I bought a 1999 Altima GXE 2.4 lit. engine, with no issues whatsover The car now has around 129k and till today ran great. This morning I used to car to go work to pick up some papers and noticed no problems, I turned it off when I got home, and turned it back on when I had to pick up my son from school and the battery light in the dash turned on, what I noticed that was weird was that in conjunction with that light the brake light for the e-brake was on as well even if the E-brake was in a disengaged, drove it picked up my son and while I pulling in all the electrical shut off and the car did not turn on again. I went and bought a new battery thinking that the battery was dead but the battery light and the brake light are still on even when the ebrake is disengaged. I've undone all the fuses thinking that maybe that was an issue but it still stays on. I got some new speakers put into the car at an audio store and thought maybe something they did messed up the battery, so I unplugged the fuse for the audio and still nothing. I'm just afraid that if I keep driving the car this new battery will die on me as well. The car is great and want to keep it for a long time, I just don't think it's a good thing that my first issue with the car could be the costliest, please if anyone knows the answer let me know and I really appreciate this in advance!!!
  • asti07asti07 Posts: 1
    How do you change the rear turn signal on a 2007 Nissan Altima?
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    Did you have the alternator checked? It's not too uncommon for them to fail with the age and amount of miles on your car...
  • New to the Site
    I posted this earlier on the TSB menu.
    Not sure if that was correct so I'll post it her also.
    My wife leased a 2007 nissan altima. We have not had it more than 9 months and it has been in the shop 8 times for the same reason. The car was dead this morning.
    She sets the auto headlight feature on the car. The last time she took it in they said they replaced the, "light sensor unit", and the problem would stop. Wrong.
    The car I believe has 7,000 miles on it (oil was changed 2 weeks ago). She wants to return it as a "LEMON".
    She kept all documentation regarding this problem and the issue.
    Does anyone out there have any knowledge of this problem with the 2007 Altima?
    Also, does she have a case with the "LEMON" situation of the car.
    My wife explaind to me she had received last week a recall on a "on board emission computer problem". Guess it senses a problem with the catalytic converter and a light will go on (she has an Official Nissan recall letter). When talking to the dealership this morning they first had no knowledge of this recall and was also told that this may contribute to the problem she is experiencing.
    They told her to tow the car to the dealership.
    Need your guys help...
    haven't heard of any of those problems. In fact, aside from occasional complaints about squeaks or vibrations I haven't heard of any problems with the 2007. sounds like you have yourself a :lemon: . At any rate, electrical problems are a nightmare to track down and fix, even for trained techs. I'd try to get another car if i were you.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Posts: 749
    She sets the auto headlight feature on the car.

Is that the issue that you need to have it fixed 8 times?

If it's, I just don't think you can classify that as a lemon. I would just turn off myself to avoid the issue, just IMO.
  • iamfrnkiamfrnk Posts: 2
    Hi all, new to this forum. I have a 2005 altima 2.5S with 95,000 miles. Everytime i switch to D drive from a P parked position and drive, i hear a rattle from under the hood. It only happens from the Park to drive situation and never reoccurs as i drive.It does not occur if i go from P park to R reverse. I thought it was the heat shield but it's not because i took it to a mechanic. Does anyone have this problem and did u find a solution?
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Posts: 146
    Does the rattle sound a little like a Buzz? Is it very precise, short and a little like a pump? It's most likely the ABS system initalizing. It's pressurizing the servos and doing a self check with the speed sensors. It can only do this when you first start rolling. On some cars it will do it while in reverse, others in drive.

My wife also heard thsi noise. I haven't noticed it, but I've probably used to it form the '04 Accord I had.
  • iamfrnkiamfrnk Posts: 2
    It's more of a spring that got moved and vibrates.You mentioned pump, but more of a bump. The noise is predictable and is not random in any way. And the second thing you mentioned, it is only when it starts rolling for the first few feet. thanks in advance.
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Posts: 146
    Yup, defintely sounds like it's the ABS unit (servo driven pump motor I think, like on my motorcycle) going through it's initilization. Totally normal. The manual might make some mention of it. I wish dealers imformed their customers about it.
  • winsanwinsan Posts: 35
    I rotated the tires of my 03 altima last weekend. I checked the brake pads, and I noticed that the inner pad of the driver side rear brake pads was worn - more than even the front pads. The outer pad was still good. I also noticed that the outer side of the disc was rusted. I would assume the disc would have smooth surface from having friction with the pad. What caused this? Is this serious?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,284
    Probably the caliper is not sliding properly in its guide. Disassemble, clean, grease, reassemble, new pads.

Visiting Host

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Have you checked to see if its something simple like the trunk light not shutting off?
    It can kill the battery overnight. Its a simple check, you can hop in the trunk and have the lid closed or you can use a test light (looks like a small screwdriver with a light bulb inside the handle and a electrical wire coming out the end of the handle), now when everything has turn off on the car ,disconnect the neg. battery cable, put the test light between the battery terminal an the neg. cable. If the light comes on, something is on. You can then disconnect wires/ take out light bulbs to see if the test light goes out.
  • dkichdkich Posts: 1
    I will be picking up my new Altima Hybrid Tuesday and I am a little nervous as to the overall quality ( rattles and squeeks ) that I read about. Are these a common condition of the cars?

dkich
    depends on you. if your really picky about those kinds of things, then I'm sure you'll find at least one to complain about. But, if your comfortable with the normal amount of rattles and squeaks that every non-luxury car has, then there's nothing to worry about.
  • skinsfan3skinsfan3 Posts: 78
    try checking consumer reports magazine
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    I have an 08 Altima 2.5SL, with a little over 2K miles. Only one squeak/rattle issue, and that was a loose headliner behind the sunroof right after I picked it up. I fixed it myself in 30 seconds (4 months ago), and no re-occurance.

That's my experince with the car....
  • At least that's what the wrecker driver said when he looked under the hood of the car last night about 11 pm. Driving back the 32 miles from dinner with relatives, I heard a loud thunk and simultaneously the battery light came on, along with the 'brake' light and the brand new Altima SE 3.5 (4cyl) didn't want to drive anymore...or steer either, btw...but somehow, fortunately, 4 separate times when the car bucked and didn't want to go, I gently encouraged the accelerator pedal and then it would pick back up to 40-42 mph and I could go another 8 miles or so and repeated that until I made it safely into well-lit gas station area for the wrecker. I've never heard of a brand new car throwing a belt, serpentine or otherwise at 2600 miles...the dealer will get my call tomorrow morning to come get this and fix it, but has anyone ever heard of this with an Altima? GM, yes, absolutely, but Nissan? I thought not. Hopefully the dealer won't call 2600 miles "normal wear and tear" and try to weasel out of fixing it...had I been on the freeway at 70 mph in big city where I'd been 4 days earlier....it scares me to think what could have happened. :confuse: