Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• chaimchaim Posts: 2
    Does your altima have the navigation ?
  • grumpfishgrumpfish Posts: 19
    nope. no navigation
  • whatsupwhatsup Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 nissan altima for the last two weeks the engine started making a rattle soound. When the car is idle it feels like it is about to cut off. The acceleration is sluggish please help me.
    not much of a mechanic but my 3 guesses are

1 needs tune up
    2 spark plug is misfiring
    3 timing needs adjusting

one or any or all of the above until you isolate it
  • broklynnbroklynn Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on my Altima, only mine is a 2005. The problem started about 6 weeks after I bought it. It will start fine sometimes then other times after it's been driven around it takes 2 -3 times just to get it started again. I took it to 3 different dealerships to have it looked at and they all said the same thing, they didn't know what it was and that they don't know of any problems with the Altima. I've had the car for 18 months and it still does it.
    thats sooo nice to know. *sarcasm* Great to hear what I have to look forward to. I think if we all contact Nissan Corporate then they will take this seriously. A dealer will just write it off as customer stupidity or paranoia and that's as far as it gets. But if it gets the attention of higher level they will really look into it and then issue a recall to fix it. ok maybe I'm dreaming but if that fails then there's also the Better Business Bureau

best of luck to us all :surprise: :confuse:
  • lsnethlsneth Posts: 3
    Has anyone notice acceleration problems with their 2006 2.5 S Altima? We just purchased ours 2 weeks ago and took it on it's first long distance trip on the highway. It doesn't seem to change gears (it's an automatic) past 45 or 50 mph. It changes gears just fine until this point (maybe 3 times?), but once it goes over 50 the gears don't change again at all (I've gone up to 80 just to see). It feels as if I'm dragging something...like the engine is working way too hard. The rpm's never get above 3K, but this feels too high to me (sounds too high too). Is this something we're just going to have to live with, or is this a mechanical problem with the car? Trying to decide whether to take it in to the dealer, or if I'm just being paranoid. We did test drive it on a highway, but never really got much past 60...up until this point things still feel ok...it's mainly 65 mph and higher that seem to be problematic. Thanks for your input!
  • It sounds like it is not shifting into Overdrive (4th gear) The new Altimas have a very clever way of shifting into Overdrive. The gearshift has a wide slot at the drive position. If the lever is slid over to the left side, it will stay in 3rd gear. Push the lever to the right side of the "Drive" slot and it will go into Overdrive. You will notice the difference at high speeds (rpms will be lower). Also on the instrument panel there is a display showing what gear you're in. When in 3rd gear, it says "3" when in Overdrive, it says "D" Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the response! It's definitely in Overdrive, but we're still having trouble...I always make sure I've got it over to the right and see the "D" on the dash. Any thoughts on that?
    I've noticed this to from day 1. Somewhere around 35-45mph when the car is changing gears there's a momentary lag as if the tranny is slipping. Maybe this is what they are calling their new "CVT Continuous Variable Transmission" or maybe this applies to manual trannys, but either way it sucks. I will pay closer attention to the over 50mph issue, though so far I haven't noticed much other than the 35-45mph shortcomings, oh and the starting issue - or lack of once so far :(
    As I've driven a little more, I think that the engine is just a little louder at high speeds than I was expecting. I paid close attention as I drove yesterday, and it does shift into 4th gear right around 45 or 50 mph. From what I've read, this is normal (?). I think I was just surprised by the noise and paranoid that something was wrong. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to listen to the radio a little louder on the highway!
    chalk it up to higher (louder) horsepower revs or they got cheap and didnt insulate the front well enough to allow for engine noise. :(
  • thetabethetabe Posts: 2
    I have an '03 Altima 2.5 and recently got a transmission flush, new spark plugs and an oil change. A few days after I got this service, my "Service Engine Soon" light came on (it stays on constantly). This is the first time the light has come on for me ever since I got the car in '04... I took it back to the mechanic that performed the service and they told me that the code my computer produced says there is a problem with the Crankshaft Position sensor (didn't tell me the actual code). They said they will have to charge me to dig a little deeper to see if my sensor does indeed need replaced...
    From what I have heard, it is very rare for one of these sensors to go bad and most of the time it is just the connection to the circuit board... Does anyone have any insight on this? Should I get a second reading from another mechanic? Also, could it have been something they did while doing my transmission flush and other services that has caused my light to come on?
    My car seems to be running fine and has been no noticable changes since the light came on...
    Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!!
    if its the SES only theres a way to turn it off. also, some of the parts places like autozone will loan you the device to check the code yourself or do it for you if they aren't too busy. I think something the mechanic did triggered the sensor to go off and he should just reset it. Then wait to see if the sensor comes on again then think of putting more money into it to dig into the matter. get a 2nd opinion either way

good luck
  • thetabethetabe Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice grumpfish!! I'll definitely do that...
    Btw... mines the 2.5 S... Which one is the SES? Is there a way to turn it off in the 2.5S?
  • I haven't went through the entire forum, but I had to comment on this issue. I to have a 2002 Altima SE. Early on, I encountered this problem and was told that I had no leak, but this problem has continued to occur. I now have 98000 miles on the car and believe me, this problem didn't just start. I can get my oil changed today and in about two weeks, I have to put oil in the engine. As the previous person asked, does anyone have any suggestions?
  • brozinekbrozinek Posts: 1
    We have a 2006 Altima with 2622 miles on it, have had it for 1 month. Saturday my husband went to move it into the garage, but it in D and it rolled backwards down the driveway. The only gears he could get to work successfully were R and 1st. This happened twice. When the dealer got it to their service department yesterday it worked fine. When they went to move it after driving it they were finally able to mimic the issue. They have no idea what the problem is. BE CAREFUL.
  • ipaq101ipaq101 Posts: 1
    Hey guys, I have my 2003 Altima for three years, and I can't get more than 22-23 mpg. Am I measuring the mileage correctly (can anyone describe what the best way to measure mpg)I just divide the miles driven on the last tank by amount of gallons I fill up.

Also, the car makes a sqeaky noise when I start the car in the morning and then goes away later in the day as the car heats up, could it be the drive belt? I have 35k on it right now.

Any help would be sincerly appreciated!
  • alan_salan_s Posts: 356
    I don't have an Altima (just a problematic new Avalon :lemon: that I want to get rid of and get something else, which is why I'm beginning to prowl other forums) but I had a Maxima and a Quest about 10 years ago and they all had a common starting problem.
    The problem surfaced when the engine was started and turned off after running for only a few minutes. The next start attempt would be a problem. For example, backing out of a garage, turning off and then restarting a while later. At the time a Nissan dealer told me that it was a known problem - the engines tended to flood if turned off only after having run for a short time. They told me to run the engine for 4 or 5 minutes minimum before turning off, and while sometimes inconvenient, this did solve the starting problem.
    One would think that after 10 years this problem would have been resolved, but who knows. It may be worth a try.
  • 99altima99altima Posts: 6
    I have a 99 altima and recently i've noticed that the engine shakes quite a bit whether it is in park or in gear. It has gotten worse - i can feel the whole car shake now. The best way i can describe it is that it is similar to a car that is about to stall out but it never stalls. I also notice that there's alot of sputtering coming out of the muffler. Could it be an exhaust issue? I don't think its the spark plugs - i had those replaced a year ago. Distributor cap maybe?