Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• khenniskhennis Posts: 1
    I have been screwed over by the local Nissan dealership. My car's dash lights, head lights and brake lights would pulse and the car's RPM's would go down almost to 0 as I would slow down. I wasn't limited by how fast the car went at all. I took it to the local dealership and they said the I needed to have the throttle body replaced. That repair cost me $950. I picked up the car and it didn't fix a thing! The car still has the same problem it went in there with. I took it back to Nissan the day after I picked it up from the "repair" and they checked the altinator and that is what it was. Then they wanted another $550 to fix the altinator. Needless to say, I am fighting this with Nissan.
  • keeferbkeeferb Posts: 81
    Hi all,

Our Altima seems to make a repetitive high-pitched beeping sound when the A/C is on. I'll admit, you don't really notice it if the radio is on but now that I know it's there it drives me nuts. The beep lasts a couple seconds and occurs every 20-30 seconds. Anyone else experience this or know what it could be?

Thanks.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    Belt slippage whenever the A/C compressor cycles on? It's a little early for a belt to go bad considering the car's age. The current belt may only need its tension adjusted. (Yeah, I'm guessing.) By the way, if the belt(s) on your Altima are the multi-ribbed style, vs. the older "V" style, do NOT use belt dressing on them to cure a squeal. You'll have nothing but trouble if you do.
  • jrvjrv Posts: 3
    So what do I do now? I havea simular problem!!
    The recall for the tail hanger / ECM on my 2002 Altima was done last year. At 76K miles the check engine light came on and the catalytic converter was replaced (under warranty). At about that time I noticed that the engine started to consume oil. The dealership has done an oil consumption test and verified that it is greater than 1 qt. / 1000 miles.
    Nissan’s (Corporate) response is that the engine is out of warranty. Local dealer wants documented oil change at 3000 miles interval before they will proceed further. I have the oil changed regularly (may not have the receipts) and I routinely check it – that’s how I found the problem.
    Based upon what I have read I believe the pre-cat has probably failed which resulted in the engine oil consumption. How can I prove this? Ask the dealership to inspect the pre-cat (at my expense?) and to replace if necessary? What then, how can I get Nissan to accept liability for the failure?
    If you would like to respond directly, my email is jvaldes’at’whoi.edu. Replace the’at’ with @

Thanks,
    Jim
  • kjabastakjabasta Posts: 1
    Was driving to pick up son from school and the check engine light came on ,drove home and the next day my altima wouldn't start. Took it to Midas they said needed a new battery and that a belt was coming off they put the battery in and made the light go off. The next morning the car wouldn't start again,took it back they said it needed a new starter, they put one in and made the light go off,the came back on once i got home. Took it back to midas they said they dont no whats wrong. Emission problems
  • keeferbkeeferb Posts: 81
    To me it doesn't seem like a belt squeal. It sounds more like an electronic beep that is emitted from something related to the A/C.
  • bob1952bob1952 Posts: 3
    Had better luck on second trip to repair the problem. The repair shop that replaced the throttle body was a spinoff of a local nissan dealership. I was a little hesitant at first to let him work on it and after not running well after the replacemnet thought I had really made a bad decision. He asked me to bring it back in and let him have another look and turned out to be a drive shaft sensor also. He replaced it and car is running great. $31.17 part/no labor. The Nissan dealership had quoted $900+ to replace the throttle body (this guy charged $570). So at the end of the day, look around people, there's some good honest mechanic/technicians that are very capable, just have to search them out. http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/- emotorcons/emo_smiley.gif
    smile
    And, as you found out, even the best of the honest ones don't always get the problem fully sorted out on the first try. (Current cars ain't our grampas' Model Ts.) Enter this dude's number for speed dial.
  • jcatalinejcataline Posts: 6
    i have a 97 nissan altima which over heated on my son. I removed the sparks plugs and cranked it over. i had water coming out of the plugs holes. i have loosen and or removed the components to take off the cylinder head. I tried prying up ,per Haynes Repair Book, but it's lifting up maybe 1/8". I removed the upper timing chain. Do i need to remove the lower. The book says nothing about it.
    if anyone has any info, i would greatly appreciate it.
  • fxcardenfxcarden Posts: 8
    I have the exact same problem, however, my dealer immediately offered to replace the front cat and the engine at no cost to me......I am still mulling it over. If you check on NissanForums.com, you'll find more info there.
  • bperkbperk Posts: 38
    Hi all… Well along with the 85K + 06 Altima owners my new 2 month old car has the issue. I purchased a Special Edition S model back in May and was really enthused about how great this car was until I received the notice. FYI.. I’m still pursuing an incident with the dealership when the finance mgr tried to get me to waive my 36K\3yr warranty for more money off the purchase price but I’ll follow up with that separately.

Anyway, the dealer rep in the service dept is a great guy. He has been taking care of my wife’s 04 Quest through all the BS we had with the 04 Quest and has worked wonders with this saga to the point where all is well with the van. I totally trust this guy as he has been very straight forward with me and helped us out plenty with the van. His guys are also great as well. Have worked with me all the way, taken me in the work bays, got under the vehicle, pointed things out, so I know there straight up and no BS. I think you get the point that I trust them. They do have a good name in the area.

Now, onto the 06 Altima. Here are his comments. He said the problem is with the piston rings not seating correctly during the engine breaking in due to defective parts (the rings). He said not all cars, even if they are in the VIN range will have the issue. First he said not to baby the engine, push it a few times, get it revved up, don’t be afraid, this will actually help the engine break in. My second question was about the replacement engine as I heard that rebuilt engines were being used. He said that what they do is salvage the engine block, as this is the most expensive part of all the parts, they clean it up and stuff it full of new parts where applicable.

Then he said don’t be nervous about this as he is fully aware of peoples concerns over this process of ripping out a factory installed engine. He said it takes 3 days to complete. One day out, one day in, then one day to configure and calibrate everything and test drive all the working parts. His guys have done it many times on other cars. His tone, honesty and reputation with me over the past have put my mind at ease if I need a new motor. Time will tell. I will keep you all updated.
  • danutucdanutuc Posts: 5
    I've been having this problem for a while now, the wheel shakes. I've changed the wheel bearing, i've balanced the tires, got the aligment done... nothing fixed it still shakes, what else could it be? it makes a "thumping" noise as well, which made me think that the bearing is bad, 92k miles (a friend with maxima, same mileage has the same problem, we've changed the axle on his, didnt help) Help.

Also when I lay off the accelerator, after about a second the car seems to break instantly, minor but noticable, breaks are good, rotors are good.... what could it be..?
  • tarnmastertarnmaster Posts: 12
    You are right - Nissan , and believe me , dealers , salesmen , service personnel , are all concerned about this , and are doing whatever it takes to correct any problems with the piston rings in affected engines.

What concerned me is what you said about the finance manager trying to get you to waive the 36K/36mo new car warranty. This is not something that can even be done , to my knowledge. I've been selling cars for over 23 years , 10 with Toyota and 13 with Nissan , and have never heard of any finance manager ever doing that. It is something that is part of the new car itself , along with the 60K/60mo powertrain warranty , and is not something that is negotiable. It is yours period. The finance manager usually tries to sell an extended service contract ( which I recommend and always get when I purchase a car ) but even if you don't opt for that the new car warranty cannot be taken away or waived. I wouldn't want to work with someone who would try to do that. We work hard to overcome the "bad car dealer" stereotype and don't want someone to perpetuate that. If he did indeed offer that , he should be reported , and preferably dismissed.
  • jrvjrv Posts: 3
    Not sure if this was sent on the first try ...

Can you be a bit more specific as to mileage, extended warranty, etc. Was the vehicle always dealer serviced or did you do your own oil changes??

Thanks.
  • I have a 2005 Alitma S 5-speed and initially had the same problems with the oil level. I began to take the vehicle to the dealer for the oil changes so that there were no issues of blaming some other "shop." I had them mark on the recpt the oil level when it came in. The good news is that I now have 22k+ miles and no issues with the oil. It appears that the issue involves the break in period. Granted some vehicles seem to have a more involved problem but I can honestly say that after about 5k-8k miles I no longer noticed an oil issue. Hope this helps.
    You're absolutely correct. Dealers don't warrant new cars, the automakers do. Even the automakers have very limited recourse in refusing to follow through on covering warranty repair work unless they can prove owner neglect or improper operation was the cause of malfunction/component failure. That's not usually an easy sell in court.
  • wwjcdo55wwjcdo55 Posts: 10
    I purchased a Nissan Altima 06 near the end of may. 10 days later got the sad letter from Nissan. Stating they were gonna take 60 day's to make a decision on what to do. I am willing to join up in a class action lawsuit but unsure how ? i dont want another Nissan figured if there's one bad apple they are many more ! my 06 vin. matched Nissan list of the bad ones.(wwjcdo55)
  • amarkutamarkut Posts: 5
    bperk,

I responded to you on another post regarding the warranty (dropping suggested by the dealer). I would check that out very closely!

I helped my mom purchase an 06 Altima SE early week of June. I negotiated for her off the lot $21,300, came home and PANICKED because my husband told me the day prior, in the paper, there was a HUGE recall on 06 Altimas.

Her car was safe-the serial number is not w/in the time frame that these defective cars were manufactured. (I wondered why there were only a few 06's on the lot!) The dealership pulled ALL of the recalled 06's before we got there.

If,and I mean IF, your dealership caught wind of the recall inadvance-maybe they were trying to get rid of these cars fast to make some profit and tried to get rid of the warranty knowing full well these cars would be defective.

Check your serial # and soon-the defect causes fires in the engines or brakes-I can't remember exactly! My mom's car is doing great and my 3.5 SL-fully loaded 2 yrs old is great too. Good Luck!
    Angie
  • Hello All,

I bought an Altima Special Edition S yesterday for a lease for 39 months. When I got home I did some research and found out about the recalls. I pick up my car on Monday and I am going to show the saleman the article about the recall.

How do I find out if my car is affected. I see the poster above me mentioned to check the serial#

Also should I be that worried since I am only going to have this car for about 3 yrs.