Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Nissan Altima Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gman123gman123 Posts: 1
    Went to look at Altima coupes today. They had two 2010 leftovers a 2.5 and a 3.5 both were fully loaded with leather and almost every option. The 2.5 had a sticker price of approximately $29,000 the 3.5 was a little over $30,000. Whats a good deal on the 2.5?

I was thinking of offering $24,000 but I'm beginning to think I could get it even lower. We actually went in to look at used and are planning on buying in a month or so, but if the price is right on the 2010 we might bite the bullet.
  • Bought this car from Conicelli Nissan in Conshocken PA. Made the purchase 03/11/2011 for $21000 OTD. MSRP on the car is $25, 890. Exterior is Super black and interior is Charcoal. I think I got the car for about ~$19,500 excluding the TTL+Doc fee.... What do you guys think? Let me know how I did....

Maxie

PS: Looking to buy an extended warranty for cheap.... any help appreciated
  • Hello all,

I am currently in the market for a new 2011 Altima 2.5 S sedan with convenience, convenience plus, premium audo, and alloy wheels. I am in the middle of visiting showrooms and trying to avoid some questionable tactics employed by sales folk. In fact, last night, I walked out of a negotiation after a sales person "suddenly" discovered that the internet quote he gave me for a specific car left off the cost of the dealer-added spoiler (which I did not request and don't even want), and he informs me that the cost of the option is over $800 (Nissan website lists MSRP for a spoiler at $370). Is this sort of "forgotten" option tactic a common ploy?

Anyways, to better prepare myself for my continuing negotiations at other dealerships, I wanted to get some feedback from this forum. I have used Truecar to obtain a "best local price" and I want to know what you think. Here are the Truecar numbers with the options noted above:

$21,217 (includes $1250 incentive and $760 destination fee)
    $599 doc fee (this is standard for the area)
    -----------------
    $21,816 total? Or will they try to add onto this?

(I pay 7% tax, which is not included above)

Now, I have a few questions:

1. Is this a good price quote? It feels good to me, but I am trying to remove my feelings from the process.

2. I have never used Truecar before to actually buy a car. Is the process smooth, or should I still be prepared for the dealer to not honor the quoted "best price" in the certificate that was emailed to me? Either by saying the car is no longer available, or through the use of dealer-added options which are not listed on the sticker?

3. Are documentation fees typically avoidable? I know never to say never in negotiations, but given that these fees seem to be vary consistent across dealerships in a given area, it seems that dealers may be able to resist dropping them. Or, perhaps doc fees typically must stay on the contract, but they are just an avenue for further negotiating down the car price?

Thanks so much for your help.
  • Hi Dude

First thing, True car website is one of the best baseline prices to start negotiations on. Secondly, expect the dealers to try adding to true car price
    (but you can walk out of this happens). Thirdly, even after getting a true car price... I suggest not to walk into the dealership. Wait for them to call/email you. Ask them to confirm the total price (should include everything) in email. Fourthly, My suggestion (I've bought new cars using this tactic before) is to try and offer them the true car price as the final OTD (out the door price) which usually includes tax, title, registration, plates, documentation fee etc. etc.

Email other dealerships around your place and let them know which dealership is offering you true car price. Now, ask them to beat the price. Do this for like 2 rounds of negotiation and you will be very close to the true car price as the everything price. Do not lose your cool and don't give in!!!!

The two new cars I bought, 2010 Honda Accord EX for $19,299 and 2011 Altima (has everything you wanted minus PREMIUM AUDIO) for $21000. I could have got this for $20,500 easily but my girlfriend (for whom I was buying) started to give me stares saying I was acting cheap by negotiating with professionals (my [non-permissible content removed]!!!). I would say for your car, I wouldn't buy it for any more than $21,850 (out the door which includes everything, tax also)...

Good luck!!!
  • skyfan1skyfan1 Posts: 37
    Excellent helpful info. Thanks Maxie!
  • Hi Maxie,

Thanks for your excellent feedback, and I am already following your advice. I am in email communication with several area dealers, and will see how that goes during the coming week.
  • That's funny...I used TrueCar and was quoted a great price for an Altima at Lynne's. However, I now realize a follow up call needs to be made. When I went there (from NY) after spending about an hour on my test drive and getting down to the nitty gritty, I was told that Lynne's adds $1000 for an "appearance" package. This included stuff I didn't want, such as the kick plates, but also bogus stuff such as pinstriping (which looked like a drunk applied it, and scotchguarding, etc. I balked and after another grueling hour of salesman going to discuss my gripes with the manager, I thanked the gentleman and walked.
  • Excellent advice...I'm a little late but figured out what you just wrote after dealing with a dealership that definitely tacked on some questionable charges to the bottom price. I'm learning...
  • skyfan1skyfan1 Posts: 37
    I would say you did really well! That is slightly less than I paid for my 2010 Altima last August with all the exact same features. Mine is sand colored with light fabric/walnut (fake) interior.
  • tungtiedtungtied Posts: 3
    I guess its hit or miss. Really depends on who you deal with and the specific car you choose. When I went in, I think they only had 8 or 9 2010's left in their system. The car I chose only had the floor mats installed.

They tried to add an etching fee but told them no so they took it off. There wasn't much negotiating on my part. I just recalculated the the numbers and pretty much said yes to the price.
  • chingachinga Posts: 5
    Maxie, does your car have Bluetooth. I configured your listed options and msrp was $280 less than you stated. Bluetooth got it to the same msrp. I am looking for a very similar car. Thanks for the info.
  • Yes, the Nissan Altima I bought has bluetooth. I forgot to mention that in my post sorry. I wanted the rear view monitor as well... but the fool wanted $22500 for it (LOL!!!).....

Maxie
  • jortzjortz Posts: 1
    hi everyone.

i am trying to negotiate with a dealer in central jersey for a 2010 altima with conv/conv+/sl package and premium audio.

we started at 26,500k (otd) for a 2011 with those options in black. i got him down to 26,200 after a few calls/emails.

after realizing id rather have ocean gray, 2011, i asked for his inventory and he only has 2010s left with those options/color.

NOW, i want a really good deal on the 2010. this is my first new car purchase and id be happy with a 2010. he offered 25,500. i think i can get better (25,000 or lower otd) but he's the only one who has the car i want right now. so he has some leverage.

any advice would be appreciated. do you think 25k out the door with those options is a descent price?????

thank you!!

john
  • 2011 NISSAN ALTIMA COUPE S CVT
    36 month | 15k miles | residual 56% | .00164 base money factor

Anyone know the numbers for 24 mos, 15K?

Is there any difference on numbers between the 2.5 and 3.5 V6 models?
    Thanks!
  • emw23emw23 Posts: 2
    edited March 2011
    I just helped my parents purchase a 2011 Altima 2.5S sedan with splash guards and floor mats as the only additional options. I always come to these forums before purchasing to get an idea of what people are paying so I thought I would post the deal we got to help others out. We are in the Cleveland/Akron OH area.

MSRP: $23,140
    Our Price: $17,490 (includes $1,750 in incentives)
    Doc Fees: $250
    Sales tax of 6.25%: $1218.13
    Title and License: $33.50

Total out the door price: $18,991.63
  • That is a good deal... Holy cow!!! But looking at your price, I feel like I made out real good for a similar Altima with Conv+Conv Plus+Al Kick Plts+Bluetooth. I was thinking that I could have easily gotten mine for $20,500... Dang!!! I think I should have negotiated more :)

Maxie
  • Hello all,

After a week of emails with dealers and then buying my new car yesterday, I wanted to update my previous post. I ended up with a 2011 Altima S sedan with the convenience, convenience plus, premium audio, splash guards, and floor mats. Here were my prices:

MSRP $26,680

car quote: $20,959 (including the rebate and the $599 doc fee common in the area)

TTL: $1,64 (7% sales tax)

OTD price: $22,601

Overall, I am satisfied with the price I paid, even if I could have gotten it even lower. As it was, I was rather exhausted with the process and I was happy for it to be over. When I arrived at the dealership yesterday morning with my pre-negotiated price, I was informed that the car we had agreed upon was just sold. I told them if they could get a new one in that same day then I would buy it at our agreed price, otherwise I was not going to be strung along any more. It took a while but they found my color and options choice at another area dealer and got the car brought over within a few hours. So, after we had a leisurely lunch, we returned to a packed showroom and waited a while still for the car to be prepped and also to close the finances (they wanted us to complete financing before the car arrived, but I said I would wait until I saw the car). We finally left with our car five hours after we first arrived at the dealership -- but at least none of that time was spent haggling price.

Good luck to all.
  • Oops! I meant to say that my TTL was $1,642 (not $1,64) in the post above.

I did not see an option to edit my post. Is this an option on this forum?
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,952
    You have 30 minutes to edit, then that option goes away...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• emw23emw23 Posts: 2
    Thanks, Maxie. Sounds like you got a good deal, too. Don't sweat it!

This is one of those deals that just worked out. Less than 36 hours from when I sent the first email to nine local dealers to when we drove off the lot with the car. Very quick and painless! It was a good thing too as this was to replace a 2010 Altima that was totalled in a car accident. So, we didn't have as much flexibility to wait around on a good deal as I have had in the past.