Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Nissan Altima Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• r000r000 Posts: 53
    Is $18500 OTD a realistic price for a 2.5S around NYC area?

Thanks.
  • tzzooomatzzoooma Posts: 5
    2009 2.5 S CVT w/ conv. package and mats.
    $17.7k. $19.1k out the door.
  • salisman2salisman2 Posts: 1
    I just purchased a "used" 2009 Altima 2.5S with 6,000 miles on it. It was put in use back in September 2008 (I ran a CarFax on it before buying.)

All the standard features, plus spoiler and aftermarket rims. $15,000, $16,500 out the door.
  • rvaidyanrvaidyan Posts: 5
    I had a commitment from 3 dealerships in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis-St. Paul) area for a 2.5S at $17.5K as long as I closed today (June 30).

Since I live in Duluth and had a trade-in (2003 Honda Civic LX coupe with low miles), I did not relish the 2.5-hour drive to the twin cities and then negotiating the trade value, I went to my local dealership and agreed to $17.5K - $6K for the trade.

Final sales invoice said $17,998 - $6,499 = $11,499+TTL.

I saw a $75 "documentation fee" pre-printed on the invoice that got me upset. Finally, after a lot of arguing, he agreed to add another $50 to the trade. Final, after TTL and trade was $12,562 OTD.

I may have been able to do better playing the TC dealerships off, but it would have taken the rest of the day. Thanks to this forum for helping me set a good target price.
  • dgrebdgreb Posts: 51
    Doesn't it still make sense to buy new as you get the sales tax refunded (next years tax bill) on the purchase of a new car?
    Can I ask what dealer you got this from? Pm me if you don't want to say on the forum.

Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,161
    The sales tax isn't refunded. It's deductible against your income on your federal tax return. For most people, that's 25% of the tax amount.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

What dealer?
    Sorry for my ignorance, i've just moved to the US. If i'm paying $10,000 of federal tax this year, would I receive (for example) the $1200 sales tax that I paid off that bill?
    If this example isn't correct, can you provide an example? Using 6% tax on a car cost of $20k
    No.. you'd get to deduct the $1200 from your income.

Assume you have a taxable income of $40K and pay $10K in federal tax, and you are in the 25% bracket..

The $1200 comes off the $40K, making your taxable income $38,800, and lowering your tax to $9700..

$300 savings..

• Ok kind Altima Coupe owners out there i have narrowed my car search to the coupe. I drove yesterday and liked better than camry and honda.
    In process of getting 4 quotes from (friendly) dealers in my area, haha

SO does anyone have a strategy that works on good negotiating techniques? Is there a percentage off the sticker i can try to shoot for? I read somewhere depending on car you can get 7-22 percent off sticker,

thanks for help
  • rvaidyanrvaidyan Posts: 5
    Unfortunately, I have learned that one of the best times to buy a new car is right before the end of a quarter. I think some amazing deals here were made because it was June 30. Now, the dealer loses some incentives for sales in the quarter and may be slightly less anxious to deal. I am betting the time just before the Sept. 30 date would be a GREAT time for deals on 2009s.
  • wow just my luck, just discovered the 1500$ cash back incentive no longer valid on the coupe, expired yesterday, possible deal breaker! Maybe this is a sign.........
  • tzzooomatzzoooma Posts: 5
    Fitzmall Chambersburg, PA.

$1500 factory to consumer rebate
    $1500 hidden factory to dealer rebate

As sales explained to me:
    Dealer lost additional holdback/more to meet quota for additional sales bonus.

14 other local (DC) dealers wouldn't touch the price.
    They drove it down to me, and it was nice and painless.
  • does anyone know when the car allowance rebate system program begins, i just heard about this and my old clunker qualifies. Suppose to have started yesterday but the dealers i have talked to dont know?? Here is a link check this out http://www.cars.gov/

\\
  • og4lifeog4life Posts: 25
    Did the salesman mention how long the hidden factory rebate was going for?
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,320
    kdfx -- i'm late on my 08 taxes -- can I mail you the forms -- I need help. :sick:
    Ha.. When I took over my mother's finances a couple of years ago, I found she hadn't filed since 2004.. and, couldn't find any records..

Only took a year to sort all that out... Now, just don't get me started on the Social Security Administration.. :mad:

• sheraesherae Posts: 3
    fully loaded 2009 2.5S ALTIMA CVT
    -fog lights
    -2.5 SL package
    -technology package
    -rear spolier

$27,700

$5,000 down
    39 mos lease (17k miles per year)
    $500 grad cash
    $500 July 4th sales rebate
    $160 gov't fee
    $3,735 taxes
    doc fee $299

***$257.68*** per month

Is this a good deal??

Also--$808 for gold preferred warranty 48mos/60k miles??
    Is this a good rate?

location-CT
  • spazvtspazvt Posts: 5
    Current deals for the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area, plus some Chicago for an Altima 2.5S with Splash Guards and Floor Mats (standard):

Current rebates: $1,500 July, $500 until July 8th, $500 College Grad, $4,500 CFC/CARS. $179 state inspection required for all new cars (I hear).

Current initial internet offers (not including rebates and inspection, but includes splash guards and floor mats):
    Rosen (Brown Deer) - $20,320
    Boucher Waukesha - $20,131 ($21,067 with Convenience Package)
    Boucher West Allis - $20,546
    Russ Darrow (Brown Deer) - $19,914
    M'Lady (Crystal Lake, IL) - $19,431
    McGrath (Elgin, IL) - $19,611

I asked several of them if they were participating in the C.A.R.S. program right now and only Russ Darrow is; all the others are waiting until July 24th to start making deals. So for most of them, I won't be able to combine Cash for Clunkers with the $500 July 8th rebate.

So I'm planning to offer $19,000 - $1,500 - $500 - $500 - $4,500 = $12,000 plus Tax, Title, Registration and see if I can get that deal from one of the dealers willing to make C.A.R.S. sales this week.
  • kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Posts: 985
    Think you need to read up on leasing before you jump into one. You NEVER put $5000 down on a lease. $3735 in taxes? Even in a state like NY where they make you pay the full tax amount on a lease it wouldn't be that high. Using your selling price figure that calculates to over 13% in tax. This deal just feels bad.
    Why do you feel its a disadvantage to put that much money down?
    Perfect explanation from leasecompare.com:

Because you pay for the use of a vehicle during a lease, you should put as little money down as possible, up front. Although putting money down can lower your lease payments (by reducing your capitalized cost) in most cases it cannot be regained in the event of early termination due to a loss.

For example, a customer once leased a Toyota 4Runner and put $3,000 down as a cap reduction. Five months later the vehicle was totaled in an accident. The client's insurance paid its portion of the lease payoff and Gap Insurance paid the balance. Our client walked away with only paying his insurance deductible but he did not get reimbursed for his initial down payment of $3,000. It was lost.

The moral of this true story is to put as little money down as possible,ideally no money down. Here are some other things to consider:

- Money down is taxable
    - Take the money you would have put down and invest it
    - Put your down payment in a savings account and use a portion each month to help make your lease payment
    thank you king! really appreciate the explanation
  • hilteehiltee Posts: 2
    I am planning to buy a 2.5 S (Precision Grey) and my best dealer quote in this area (Binghamton, NY) is 21,040 OTD (after 1500 rebate, College Grad rebate and dealer discouts).Could any one give me a heads up so as how much to ask for. I am really not sure of the current price trends and any help would be greatly appreciated.

MSRP of $22,685
    OTD - $21,040.
    OTD is pretty much a worthless number for comparison sake since every state has a different OTD number. You are better off giving the selling price of the car.
  • hilteehiltee Posts: 2
    MSRP of $22,685
    Price after discounts (1500 rebate, college grad and dealer discounts) - $19,185, plus taxes and NYS fees.

Thanks in advance.
  • StoleStole Posts: 6
    Hi, spazvt,
    did you finally buy the car? and how much you paid? thanks.
    I'm in NY as well and I picked up a 2.5S CVT for $19700 OTD yesterday. This was from Hudson Nissan in NJ. No NY dealer could match it. Heck one dealer told me to go and try to get it in NJ.

The best quote that I was able to get was from FitzMall in PA, at $19500 OTD. But it was a 4.5 hour drive one way.
  • robertw477robertw477 Posts: 179
    $5000.00 Down? Have you leased a car before? The idea is sign and drive. Not put 5K down. On a sign and drive the math works out to maybe 400 a month. Doesnt look like anything special to me.

Rob