Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• deanctdeanct Posts: 10
    Has anyone replaced their Expedition steering wheel or had it done with the wood grain option??
  • tourguidetourguide Posts: 188
    I've noticed this unusual smell too. I guess it must be "normal" for this to happen.
  • javnerjavner Posts: 23
    We just purchased an 04 Expedition XLT and we want to put a flip down video system in it. Since it has the sunroof we are getting conflicting information on whether or not it can be done...some say yes, others say no. When I looked on the Ford site, a) you can get RES with the sunroof, and b) they have an aftermarket unit avaiable from Ford. Is it possible that their is sometype of reinforcement built into the sunroof system that would allow it?

Easy answer is to use the seat back systems, but since we want to be able to spread the 3 kids out during road trips, would be hard to see from the far row I'd think.

Any experince anyone has would be appreciated.
  • javnerjavner Posts: 23
    Update for those interested.

Last week we had a Sony Dream System (MV-7101DS)installed in the truck. Because of the sunroof and rear ventilation system I got many mixed opinions on whether it could or couldn't be done. Because the system we choose uses a 7" screen and the player is a seperate unit it was not a problem. Circuit City did a great job with the installation.

We had a FM modulator installed that is hard wired with a switch since the 1 and 3 year old can't handle headphones. Good thing is with the FM modulator, we will be able to use cheap wired headphones with the rear audio controls as they get older and we'll be able to listen to CDs up front.

Color of the bezel and monitor blend in perfectly with the headliner, and the player fits very nicely under the front seat. Total installed with warranty was 1/2 of the FORD after market. If interested find one of these systems soon since Sony is pushing them out in favor a larger screen with a built in player that is to big and heavy for install in this truck. We got free install at Circuit City.

Good Luck.
  • jg88jg88 Posts: 59
    The sub-woofer does not sound good to me. It's stock on the '04 Expy EB -- sitting in the 2nd and 3rd rows is pretty annoying. Am interested in having a mid-range speaker in place of the sub. To me, it will be much more tolerable back there for passengers. Any thoughts? Anyone else agree with my assessment?

Thanks in advance.
  • I noticed this, and i have a friend who owns a body shop, he says that he could do it. the part cost somewhere around between 100 dollars and 150 dollars.
  • fitguyfitguy Posts: 222
    A tip for '97 to 2002 Expy owners who dislike the sloppy front-end: I recently installed heavy-duty urethane sway bar end-link bushings ( not by choice- one of the OEM's broke and fell off in the road somewhere!). What a difference! Much less body roll in corners and tighter handling overall. Cost about $100 installed at Pep Boys.

Best hundred bucks I've spent in awhile.
  • Ok, here's a crazy question. Just bought an 05 EB and love it. I'm trying to buy a spare set of carpeted floormats - including a mat for the 3rd row which does not come with the truck. The parts guy at the dealer is on set #3 for me and none seem to match the color of the carpet in my truck. The Ford accessory cataloge "on-line" shows a great set of mats, but the color is very different (darker) than the factory. If it helps, I'm a Realtor. I put clients in my truck and am just trying to keep it nice. Any suggestions??
  • ladyexpyladyexpy Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 XLT as well and know that you must have the dual media prior to DVD installation. I have the dual media, but find it rather ridiculous to pay the almost $1600 they want for their 7" DVD which doesn't include installation. I have priced them and you can get a nice portable DVD with a 10" screen for about $350 from places like Costco or Sam's Club and it includes 2 sets of headphones and all the adapters. This is the route I'm taking. Considering the power ports it would be the best option. Plus, I am hearing the DVD systems have become a prime target for theives. I understand that theives can remove the DVD system in less than 10 minutes. The portable can be neatly tucked away out of sight under a seat.
  • djrobdjrob Posts: 8
    I did this when I bought my car. I have a '03 Expedition XLT. When I bought it I got the Billet style grill that comes with the bottom piece. If you're gonna get the bottom piece I suggest you getting the Billet style one, the price difference is probably about 50 buck, but looks wise it's beautiful. ;) :surprise:
    of course 350 is a better deal than 1600, the only thing that you don't get is the "great sound". But I'm sure you could get an adapter of some kind where you hook it up to your stereo system from the portable DVD player.
    To answere your question about the sub wiring. I have a 2003 XLT and mine di not have the wiring.
    I have a 2003 XLT. First it didn't come with wiring plus I tink the stock sub woofer is self amplified, and I think you would need to cut out the rear right paneling, but they sound like crap
    OK! First off you do not need an entirely different bumper, that's a joke. If you want to buy a lower grill just go into the parts Dept. and see if they have it available without the whole grill. If not I'll send you an e-mail with my phone number and I'll try to get it for you. As far as the installation, all you need is a phillips screw driver and four screws, but it does screw right into the bumper. Make sure you get metal screws. My email is djrob9@yahoo.com
    everytime I shift gears I get a couple of very annoying clicks from the rear. Does anyone have this problem and is it possible to fix this?
    Hey guys anybody out there drive the new T-Birds? :shades:
  • dds02dds02 Posts: 1
    i have an 04 EB expedition with the audiophile 6 disc changer...does anyone know of a good product/harness to connect my ipod directly to my stereo without using one of those junky FM modulators?? thanks
  • scdscd Posts: 15
    I'm looking for a DVD system that will mount on the ceiling of my 2005 XLT, no sunroof. Does anyone know an aftermarket system that will work? Also, who makes the system that Ford installs at the factory. The XLT's on the lot only came with a 7" screen. Was looking to go a little bigger on the screen, and wanted an all-in-one system to avoid mounting a separate unit somewhere else.
  • german8rgerman8r Posts: 1
    SCD,

Try Crutchfield
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tC717pJwlD7/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=170450&avf=Y

The 7 inchers go for $499 and the 10 inchers are around $799. I had an Audivox in my last truck and it worked without a hitch. You should be able to get a good feel for the style you want and what the ballpark figures are.

As to your other question, the ones in the new Fords are made by Panasonic.

Hope that helps.

;)
  • dawn713dawn713 Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to program the homelink garage opener on a 2001 Ford Exp?? My owners manual doesn't even mention the feature.
  • ratterratter Posts: 2
    Haven't tried it yet, but plan on ordering soon:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrd03aux100.html
  • jt25jt25 Posts: 1
    I need a good part # for front brake pads, I'm getting a service done tomorrow and want new brake pads without the brake dust. please help
  • bmcgeebmcgee Posts: 1
    Does anyone know who makes the navigation system for the 2005 Expeditions? Can I buy the same system in the aftermarket? Does it need special wiring or can the existing electrical work? If anyone can help that would be helpful.
  • basshymanbasshyman Posts: 8
    Does anyone know if this would really cut down on the dust on the back? I can wash it and the next day it is filthy. This is what the Ford Accessory website says:

Part Description: For a sporty appearance and to help keep the rear glass clean. Mounts to the liftgate of the vehicle and is available in select exterior colors or primed (ready to paint). Dealer installation recommended.

Is it hard to install?

Thanks
  • kcjockcjoc Posts: 2
    just joined the forum and saw your message. One week after buying my 2004 EB, I was in a local stereo store replacing the weak, tinny sub. The store did a great job, with a new enclosure, much better speaker and factory grill so the look of the cabin was kept. I am much happier with the improved sound.
  • kka2kka2 Posts: 1
    i have an 01 eb expedition, how do you hear the tv thru the speakers?
  • ratterratter Posts: 2
    Received the unit today and installed it (link in a previous post a page or two back). Very simple and it works GREAT in my '05 EB Expy with in-dash changer (I don't have the dvd or navigation, so I'm not sure how that affects things.)

Procedure:

1. Disconnect positive battery terminal

2. Remove two screws above speedo/tacho.

3. Pull off dash until all the clips are disengaged (mine came off very nicely...no sweaty moments.)

4. When you have enough clearance, unplug all the plugs going into the dash piece that you're removing (headlight control, power pedals, trip computer, etc.)

5. Once everything is unplugged you can pull the dash all the way out, just be careful not to scratch anything.

6. Remove two screws at the bottom of the radio unit and pull it out.

7. Unplug the cables from the back of the unit and put the aux input cables in their place, then plug the original cables into the aux input harness.

8. Find a place for the little plastic box (converter?) and string the audio cable (sold separately) through where you want it to come out. (edit: I reconnected the battery at this point to test.

9. Gently stuff everything back in, plug it all up and close it all up, reconnect the battery and you are done!!

Hit the "aux" button until the radio shows "dvd/cd aux" and the aux. input is active. Sounds great!! Very clean and easy install and relatively inexpensive.
  • tbadtbad Posts: 2
    I bought a automatic temp control unit for my xlt that i want to install. This unit is out of an eddie bauer. My xlt has manual temperature adjustments. Before I take my dashboard apart and order a new face plate for my dashboard to accomodate this ATC unit I would like to know if anyone knows whether Ford has the plugs already in place (i.e. if the wiring is already there for plug and play on this)? Tbad
  • i have a 2002 xlt expedition that has 16 inch rims and i bought some eddie bauer chrome rims that r 17 inch what size tires should i use im sure they would be differant than a 4 wheel drive expedition.thanks
  • What kind of mufflers do you guys run on your Expeditions. I want a loud, deep tone, for a 2003 XLT Thanks in Advance.