Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Hi, I'm Rolly. I bought a used XLT 4WD with 36.5K miles a week ago and I just had the gear shifter replaced as a result of inoperative overdrive. I was told by the service rep. that the wires inside the shifter were frayed caused by the shifting of the shifter. A new shifter had to be installed to get it working. Have anyone ever had this problem before?

Comments

• I recently purchased a 2001 Expedition XL and have put 1400 miles on it. At about 1200 miles I started noticing a whining noise at low speed. progressively it got worse and I took it to the dealer. I have now been informed that they are putting in a new differential that had to be ordered from Ford. I just was curious if you were aware of this problem being repeated across the country. It seems to me that at 1400 miles this could have never passed a QA inspection at the plant.
  • "It seems to me that at 1400 miles this could have never passed a QA inspection at the plant."
    If you didn't notice it until 1200 miles, how did you expect the plant to find it in 3 miles (or whatever distance the plant drives it)? Inspections don't do much good for problems that show up after hundreds or thousands of miles. Designs and production processes have to be robust to make sure the components are assembled correctly and built to tolerance in the first place.
  • Go to the xpedition.net and join that group. They have been owners since the X came out. Or go to f150online.com ,and the same rear end as the f150's, there is also a Expedition site there.

Good Luck
  • dubinerdubiner Posts: 1
    We have an 2001 EB that we purchased last month. It was a 'demo' model with 750 miles on it. At 1000 miles, the truck would no longer accelerate.

It first was diagnosed as a VSS (speed sensor); after closer look at the burnt transmission fluid - there was also a problem with the transmission as a whole. So, the dealer opted to replace it.

Two weeks later, thanks to the snow in the north east delaying the transmission's arrival from SF, we got the truck back good as new.

Has anyone else had problems with theirs? What do I expect next?
  • cas5cas5 Posts: 8
    I just traded my 1997 Expedition on a 1998 Lexus GS 400. I wish I still had the Expedition, it had some troubles at first because it was a first year model but after that it worked great and never let me down.
  • rickc5rickc5 Posts: 378
    We have owned our new 2001 EB since Jan. 6th and have yet to experience a single problem. Not even a rattle. At present, we have about 2500 miles on it. Its my wife's car and doesn't get driven much, although we anticipate greater use during the summer.
  • hildee65hildee65 Posts: 1
    We have a 2000EB that we purchased in Oct. 2000 that now has 6000 miles on it. At 4500 we began to notice the transmission was not shifting into 2nd but rather skipping to 3rd from 1st. Also the overdrive light on the gear shift would blink. On first attempt to repair dealer said it was computer error sending wrong information to transmission. Reprogrammed computer. Two days later did it again. This time dealer completely replaced transmission. Running O.K. now.

Would like to know though if anyone is experiencing a slow to fuel problem? We have a 26 gal tank but you have to nurse in the last 8 to 9 gallons. What a pain. Also in car pool line at school I am forced to park on a downhill slope, if I get caught there idling for more than a minute or two and I am below a half a tank the vehicle thinks it is out of gas. If I let the vehicle roll down to a level spot it cranks right up. Have taken to dealer several times concerning both of these problems -- even had towed from school once for them to duplicate problem which they were able to do. Am now being told by dealer there is a "design flaw" with gas tank and there is nothing they can do. We have requested meeting with Ford area Rep. Must be others out there with this problem. Interested to know.

Thanks for any input.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Posts: 210
    Can't comment on the tranny problem, but the gas issue has been discussed in previous discussions on Expedition boards. I have to nurse the last 4.5 gallons, and yup, it's a pain. I have found one station in my area that has a different (less sensitive?) nozzle that let's me get within 2.5 gallons of full. I have the 30 gallon tank. I too have run out of gas idling on slopes, but never with anywhere near half a tank. More like an 8th or 16th - the needle on the E line, or just slightly above it.
  • I have a 1998 BE Expedition that has 33K miles and is nearing 3 years old. I'm interested in purchasing the Ford Extended warranty. Has anyone purchased this at this late time for their vehicle? If so, where did you purchase it? How much did it cost? What warranty parameters (years and mileage) did you opt for? Thanks, Nick
  • I have a 2000 Expedition,bought new in November. It has 4500 miles and is in the shop for a new transmission. I know of at least five other people with the same problem, and I found this out since Friday, so it must be a common problem. I would not suggest buying an Expedition or any other Ford product, and this is coming from someone who has always owned Fords, but this is the last one.
  • jilonajilona Posts: 2
    We recently purchased a 1999 EB with rear audio controls. I thought the front and back would be able to listen to different things but have since figured out that is not possible, salesman told me that on the 2000/2001 you can but not on the 99. My problem now is that in order for the head phones to work you have to push the speaker on/off button on the rear controls and that shuts off all of the speakers. The book says that the front speakers are supposed to continue playing and the back ones cut out when the head phones are plugged in and the speaker on/off button is pushed. The kids want to listen with the headphones but I can't hear anything. I am supposed to take it to a dealer this week but wanted to see if anyone here had any info for me. Any other info on the 99's, (problems, warnings, things to watch for) would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • joelisjoelis Posts: 315
    "I would not suggest buying an Expedition or any other Ford product"

I find it rather strange that this overall consolidated EXPEDITIONS PROBLEMS topic has been out here for a couple months now, and you are one of the first to report this issue, yet you feel that everyone of them is a lemon huh?

Considering how many Expeditions are sold every year, you would figure that more people would be out here complaining about it wouldn't you?

I personally don't really care about the Ford product in general (my wife's vehicle, I don't drive it), but people who make blanket statements like that make me laugh (sarcasticly).
  • linzilinzi Posts: 5
    I have an 1998 XLT. which I bought new. I have never had a problem so far (fingers crossed) with my Ex. with 31K on it. Just got back from a 3200
    mile trip to Palm Springs area, through mountain pass snowstorms(white outs & deep snow)-no problems
    rattles or squeaks so far. Love this vehicle.
    Returned yesterday from a 1,500 mile road trip in our new 2001 EB. All freeway driving on relatively flat ground. Gas mileage ranged from 13.5 to 15. Everything worked as expected, zero problems. Very comfortable on a long, boring trip.

However, I discovered I have the problem where you have to "squeeze" the last 3-5 gallons of gas into the gas tank. Frustrating and uncomfortable when its cold & windy at the gas station.

Also noticed some sensitivity to head winds and cross winds, but nothing serious (where you felt the need to drive slower, for example).
  • ernie68ernie68 Posts: 1
    We have had no problems with '98 Exped 0-35,000 miles. Planning on trading in on 2001 XLT. Hope we do not experience Transmission problems? We bought on 36 mo. Smart buy and way under the 45k miles negotiated. Can't really sell outright, since similar 98 models are selling for less than the balloon price.
  • I ve had a few of these problems with my Navigator in the past. Now im in the market for a Cadillac Escalade, ive learned my lesson with FORD suvs. In case you cant tell by now, ford doesnt have a good reputation with suvs so far, you all should go out and get another suv that will keep you alive and maybe in a few more years FORD will have all of their problems fixed and you can go back to the blue oval company, but as for me, now way.
  • joelisjoelis Posts: 315
    For a person who claims to own a Testarossa, Gelaendewagen, Navigator, had a Hummer, Land Rover, and now looking for a Carrera, CL500 and Escalade, you sure have poor grammar skills.

With this lineup of vehicles, who the hell would be satisfied with a Ford product? LOL!
  • sencsenc Posts: 44
    Yea, I know about rear-end problems. I drove mine home from the dealer and the next day the rear-end fluid was on my garage floor. The axle housing was made wrong and wouldn't hold the seal, so they replaced the axle(twice). Then, there is the transmission slipping when putting in drive after reverse.... Yesterday, I had a rough start with the engine shaking terribly. I turned it off and restarted a few times and it finally smoothed out and drove ok. I've had one before and MANY Fords, but I'm starting to believe the domestic/Ford bashers may be onto something. I thought each year, the model was supposed to get BETTER not worse, unless of course they keep trying to make them cheaper rather than better...I have 5500 mi. on it now. Only time will tell if this thing is durable enough to last the entire 24 month lease.
    We've had our Expy since January, and now have over 6000 miles on it. Up till now (knock on wood) we have not encountered a single problem.

OTOH, pay a visit to the Toyota Sequoia topic. Now maybe those folks are lots of whiners/complainers, but there sure are a lot of them posting some interesting/serious problems. I understand how these folks feel. I used to be a staunch Toyota supporter. Then I bought a new '95 Tacoma. It was so full of problems that the dealer took it back after only 3 months and gave me a new T100 pickup instead. I don't hate Toyotas now, but I refuse to pay a premium for vehicles that aren't any better than a Ford.

Call me a cynic (indeed, I may be), but I feel that buying ANY new vehicle is a crap shoot. There used to be some statistics that showed if your new vehicle was built on a Monday or Friday, it would be much more likely to have problems due to absenteeism at the factory.
  • I have a '98 Exp XLT with 98,000 miles on it which I have taken good care of. Never really had any serious problems (alternator, brake pads, spark plug coil) until the other day. While parked at Wal-Mart, unattended, the engine caught on fire completely melting the fuel injection assembly plus numerous other accessories. Luckily the guys at Wal-Mart were out there in a minute with fire extinguishers and put it out before the interior went up. Although the Exp is out of warranty the cause of the fire is clearly an electrical defect of some sort. I contacted the Ford dealer, with no satisfaction, and then their headquarters in MI to see if they would loan a vehicle while THEY make the repairs (I had all the other insurance (towing etc.) with the exception of loss of use). Well I suppose it was naive.. you have probably guessed what they said "Yeah right, forget it". The purpose of this posting is two-fold. 1) Has anyone else had this problem? 2) What is with these dealers these days. This is clearly a vehicle defect (however rare) yet no one wants to help. It seems to me that it would cost them about 200 bucks to make me happy (two weeks car rental while they repair) and probably get my return business, on which they would make a hell of lot more than 200 bucks, yet they are not interested. I wonder if GM, Chevy, Dodge or any other car manufacturer would react in similar fashion?