Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bodymanbodyman Posts: 23
    The fact is, you may have to wait for another seat frame to come in. The lower frame does come with all of the mechanical components attached, and it is not an item that dealers stock. However, they (Ford) are liable for replacement at no cost to you, and under the cicumstances, I would demand a comparable loaner. From what I have learned from others, it is a typical response from Customer Service to deny there are any similar problems reported by others. This (psycologically) singles you out, and makes you feel alone in your problems. Don't fall for it. It is THEIR problem, and THEY have to resolve it. Remember, this is the Co. that denied Pinto's would explode!
    Keep track of the total time you are without your vehicle, and ANY time it goes in to have a problem checked, don't leave until you see a ticket/work order made out on it. Mine was in a couple of times to be checked out, and no ticket was made. This means no documentation. I have since learned my lesson. Good luck, and don't give up.
  • I have owned my '00 Exp Eddie Bauer 2wd for 2 yrs. Almost at 30K miles; I've noticed at slow speeds,what seems to be a "whine" until the speed picks up. Dlrshp says they do not hear it and return vehicle to me each time. I also experience popping noises in front end when making turns. Has anyone else experienced this or had complaints that lead to a fix by the dealership?
  • Hi. I had the same problem with mine. I had the dealer check it out and they found that these bolts called crown bolts were lose. they tightened them up and all is well. Have Them check it out. Good luck J.
  • For all those who have mentioned a vibration problem that appears to be wheel-related, here's a thought - I have a 98 4X4 Eddie Bauer and experienced a vibration from the front end recently that was a bit puzzling at first. Inspected for imbeded rocks, tire balancing, weak shocks, and bad front end suspension members without success. Then a garage mechanic noticed that one of the Goodyear tires was "feathered", an irregular surface usually caused by incorrect toe-in (alignment). The condition takes time to develop, but 10,000 miles can do it. I suspect it was caused by either hitting a curb or an incorrect alignment done by a local shop. The tire may also have had an internal flaw, but replacement cured the problem.
  • Any suggestions on handling the rust under the doors issue?

I just bought a 99 and found the same problem indicated in msg 30. My 93 Montero has less rust than this 99 Ford.

Of course I bought it anyway because asside from the rust the car is perfect.
  • expeexpe Posts: 1
    The vibration w/my 2001 Expedition is different from that discussed by everyone else on this page. Only have 16,500 miles. Vibration happens during 50-65mph but lasts only approx 1 second. Sounds and feels almost like driving over brick pavers. For example, target speed is 65mph. Continues to drive and shift normally until reach target speed and does final shift. Short vibration occurs after this final shift.
  • I had a similar vibration in my '96 Mercury Grand Marquis. It was like driving over a washboard road. The solution was to have the transmission fluid flushed and refilled. That ended the vibration problem.
  • The vibrations you seem to be talking about are similar to what I had in my 92 Town Car. Get your transmission fluid replaced soon. I went a while with those vibrations (happening occasionally) and then the transmission just crapped out. Cost over at thousand to fix. Dealer asked if I'd been experiencing the vibrations--where it sounds like I'm riding over a rumble strip. He said that I should've changed the transmission fluid once I heard the vibrations.
  • We bought a used 99 EB 4wd expedition with 47000 miles on it. No problems until 48000 miles when two things happened- When I shift into R or Drive there is a click in the dash & the radio goes out (lights&all) als the rear wipers go out. Shift to N or Park & back on- into gear & back off. None of the TSBs seem to fit, anyone with suggestions?
    Also, I hear what sounds like something winding down in the engine when slowing to a stop- like a soft jet engine powering down. If that the fuel pump? or is there something else running under the hood?
    Finally, I bought a 4yr/100,000 total vehicle mile warranty from autoexam (one choice)... we'll see just how good it is...
  • I bought a 99 Expedition brand new and it now has only 32,000 miles but the right hand head gasket has needed to be replaced twice so far. Once at 12,000 miles and then again at 30,000 miles 2 months ago.
    Now the transmission has gone out, won't back up and trans fluid smells real burnt.

All in only 32,000 miles. The dealership won't even talk about causes.

Anyone know of similar problems or what I can do?

Ford's customer "hot-line" is a complete joke, absolutely useless. They won't even talk about on=going problems or root cause's of such.

Any suggestions short of setting fire to the vehicle would be appreciated.

mgheron
  • I bought a 99 Expedition brand new and it now has only 32,000 miles but the right hand head gasket has needed to be replaced twice so far. Once at 12,000 miles and then again at 30,000 miles 2 months ago.
    Now the transmission has gone out, won't back up and trans fluid smells real burnt.

Ford's customer "hot-line" is a complete joke, absolutely useless. They won't even talk about on=going problems or root cause's of such.

mgheron
  • bought a 99 Expedition brand new and it now has only 32,000 miles but the right hand head gasket has needed to be replaced twice so far. Once at 12,000 miles and then again at 30,000 miles 2 months ago.

mgheron
  • haemonhaemon Posts: 19
    Has anyone experienced a grumbling noise (which seems to come from the front of the vehicle) typically immediately after you start the vehicle, or immediately after the vehicle is shut off. If so, what was the problem and how did you fix it?

Thank you.
  • Haemon... What year and model is your Expy? Do you have load leveling on it? If so that is probably what it is. I wondered that too. I have an 01' EB loaded and when i start and sometimes shut off engine i get that. Freaked me out @ first but it's just leveling itself. 1 thing to make you notice is park in front of a garage and just stare at the from of your hood. Mentally mark where it is and then turn on your engine if you look closely you can see the front end lower or raise. Hope thats what it is.

Shane
  • We have a 99 Expedition in which the engine keeps dying especially in rainy or cold weather. please help with any advice-we've changed the fuel filter and my husband is now in the process of changing the spark plugs
  • Perhaps you should take your expedition to a mechanic so that he can look at the throttle configuration. Unless your husband knows how to do it. given that the engine keeps dying out I might think that the spark plugs have nothing to do with it. the problem might be the throttle. The engine might not be getting enough air and therfore dying or the sensor in there might have gone bad. most likly it is the adjusment screws that have to be re-set so that the throttle can stay open therefore allowing the engine to breathe. I would suggest taking the vehicle to a ford ealer or such place that is qualified to work on thier vehicles. good luck
  • We were able to find a similar problem when we looked at the F150 Forum. The IAC was clogged-taking it off and cleaning it with some carb cleaner worked miracles-No more problems and it's driving like new again
  • I've had a 93' Explorer, since given to my sister and it has 223,000 miles on it and it still hasn't had a major problem. It doesn't even burn any oil. I also have a 97' Expedition with 233,000 miles and again never a problem. I'm still getting about 14 mpg hwy/city. I'm expecting my new 03' in a few days and hope I have the same good fortune I've had with my past two.
  • I am wondering if any 2003 Expedition owners have had problems with Advancetrac-Traction Control Systems. The day after purchasing my Expedition the Advancetrac indicator came on and message center informed to check Advancetrac. Dealer had it for 2 days and was waiting for parts, but after nagging exchanged it for identical model. A week later the same problem occured on the new unit. It was returned to the shop where it was reprogramed in 5 minutes. It has been approximately 2 weeks and now the problem is re-occuring. Please advise if anyone has had similar problems.
  • I have a 2003 expedition also and experienced a similar sound when turning. It appeared to be coming from the front, but after further review the sound was found to be transfering from the rear. You should take your vehicle back to the dealer and have the rear inspected. My vehicle now needs a new rear. Having only had 4,000 miles on it, this is definitely not a good thing.