Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    I'd just take it to the dealer. I obviously can't hear your noise but your description matches the noise I had exactly. It was only under constant load that I heard it. Let off the gas and it disappeared.
  • fx4fx4 Posts: 72
    If your 2003 Expedition is a 4wd and the noise described is in 2wd High, you might want to review posts 274 and 278 above.
  • chaydechayde Posts: 1
    I purchased an '03 Expedition (I had '96, too) when they first hit lots last year. After 2 weeks I noticed roaring noise. Took to shop, nothing found. After 2 more trips, even to a different dealership, they found the 4wd rotors in front wheels not disengaging. Ford did not have a fix, even met local representative. Ford never did fix, wanted me to "wait" until a fix came about. Needlesstosay, I got rid of the Expedition due to the Customer "Dis"satisfaction. Now I understand Ford knew all along about the problem even before vehicles left the assembly line. BlueOval News indicates June '02 notifications from manufacturers. I regret the problem, the vehicle was awesome!
  • I too have the engine whining noise at 40 MPH. Ford says the rear differential is at fault and the vehicle has now been stuck at the dealership for 1 week. I've owned the vehicle for just 3 months now and already I've lost the AC and the power lock system. The mirrors shake pretty badly at highway speeds as well. I like the interior space and ride of this vehicle, but clearly, Quality is NOT Job #1 at Ford.
  • Ok I have to vent. After buying a $38,000 loaded Expedition I find that after 3000 miles my dealer tells me it is NORMAL for the front brake pads to drag first thing in the morning. You back out of the driveway and the noise is awful,feels like the wheel is being drug. This continues on for about 150 yards until what ever the problem is decides to cooperate as should. Yep the dealer hears it but they all do it they say. I have asked 3 other 03 Expedition owners about this and none are experiencing this. The serpentine belt assembly has already been replaced also. Noises,bad belts,dragging brakes-have you cussed a Ford lately? ARGHHHHHH!
    This may be obvious, but there is no way that is normal. This is the first I have heard of this issues with the 03's. Go to a different dealer, if possible.
  • Well, I just got my 03 Expedition back from the dealer. Fortunately it was only there 3 days and they gave me a loaner. They ended up replacng the rear differential with a new one. However, I am still hearing a constant drone/hum at around 40 - 42 mph. Obviously this did not take care of the problem. In fact, one starnge thing I noticed is that before when a switched to 4Hi the noise would dissappear. Now with the new differential when I switch to 4Hi the noise remains. Go figure! I plan on taking it back first thing next week and taking a ride with the tech. Any other ideas from anyone out there?
  • I agree there is no way this normal. I am taking it to a different dealer Monday and God help the previous dealer if it is fixed. Have a good one...
  • tbooth2tbooth2 Posts: 33
    Maybe looking at this list will make you feel better about your situation since I having nothing to advise - the dealer has been unable to resolve vibration problem and I'm afraid to let them touch the rest for the main reason to you listed. This is my list after 3 months of ownership: constant vibration after 50 MPH, wheel shimmy and vehicle shake after 75 MPH (which explains why I can't see clearly out of the rear view mirror or side mirrors because they shake so much, clunking and pinging upon quick acceleration, loud hissing sound upon A/C startup, drone-whine sound during cruising speed (40-70 RM, I take my foot off the pedal and it stops), tremendous wind noise inside the cabin - thought we were having a wind storm outside, passenger doors rattle with any bump or divet in the road, front tires cupping and feathering even though they've been balanced (and supposedly rotated) by the dealer at least 4 times, and a roaring noise every time I start from a start and let off the gas pedal to coast or apply a little gas and then stop. I haven't even gotten into the cosmetic stuff - why bother? Oh what a feeling! (oops, that's Toyota.)
    Maybe I can help a little bit with the issues everyone is having, since I have had them myself.

tbooth2 - "drone-whine sound during cruising speed (40-70 RM, I take my foot off the pedal and it stops)" --- this sounds exactly like ring and pinion gear whine in the rear differential. Mine had it. My service tech has had issues with new differentials coming from Ford already misaligned and whining. He insisted on ordering the parts and rebuilding my current differential himself. He grew frustrated with not knowing what he was going to get with a new differential. Worked like a charm, no more problems.

dkovach- it is possible that your issue is the rear diff and you just got another bad one. You mention noise that goes away when switched to 4WD. Did you mean 4Auto or 4HI? There is a TSB on front differential whine/groan when in 2WD that goes away when switched into 4Auto. Is there a loud clunk when you switch into 4Auto while moving? Your front halfshafts could be spinning opposite directions and the cluck ocurs when they are forced so spin in the same direction when put into 4Auto.

Vibration at freeway speeds. There is a TSB for this also. Ford produced a troubleshooting flowchart for the problem. After ruling out the wheels or tires through various procedures, if the vibration still exists, the TSB says to replace the steering gear. I have also heard of others solving the problem by having the rack and pinion replaced. That is not mentioned in the TSB, however.

Now if anyone gets their doors to stop rattling please let me know the solution. I am on my third set of redesigned, and supposedly improved, gasket kits for the doors. Mine is actually worse now than it was before.

Try flatratetech.com for help from Ford service techicians. This is where I got help for all of my problems.

Hopefully this helped someone a little bit.
  • tbooth2tbooth2 Posts: 33
    Thanks for your advice and input. The TSB for "steering wheel nibble" as Ford calls it has already been performed on my vehicle (replaced steering gear) but it did not alleviate the problem, imagine my disappointment and frustration after the service manager told me "it's fixed" and wasn't. Thanks for other info though. It's unfortunate Ford didn't put the quality into build and production that Ford should have because this vehicle could have reeled in the SUV market and crushed the competition if they had.
    I agree. I have a love/hate relationship with the vehicle. I think it has outstanding features, but the reliability (or lack thereof) sucks the life out of the ownership experience. It is a different class of vehicle somewhat, but I may try to talk my wife into looking at an 04 4Runner this week. I know I will take a beating but I am getting very close to leaving Ford in my past.
  • Ok I have to vent. After buying a $38,000 loaded Expedition I find that after 3000 miles my dealer tells me it is NORMAL for the front brake pads to drag first thing in the morning. You back out of the driveway and the noise is awful,feels like the wheel is being drug. This continues on for about 150 yards until what ever the problem is decides to cooperate as should. Yep the dealer hears it but they all do it they say. I have asked 3 other 03 Expedition owners about this and none are experiencing this. The serpentine belt assembly has already been replaced also. Noises,bad belts,dragging brakes-have you cussed a Ford lately? ARGHHHHHH! UPDATE- Today the brake dragging went on for 3 blocks. The steering wheels shakes and the groaning is horrible. Normal huh?
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    No, that's not normal, and don't let them blow you off that way. Stay nice, but persistent, and start escalating the problem to the dealer owner/principal/general manager, and then to Ford. Don't threaten, as that moves things to the litigation mode, which is a no win. Just stay after it, or try another dealer if there is one.
  • Flatfisher, apparently there were some early problems with the early "A" and maybe even "B" series 2003 Epy. Based on your VIN , is yours an early series?

Nvbanker, I've never heard of this early vs. late VIN typology on Navigators. Does it only apply to Expy?
  • Thanks for the response. I am unfamiliar with A or B series of manufacturing runs but my particular Expedition was built May 5 2003. I am taking it to a new dealer this week. What a pain trying to get warranty coverage.
  • Besides the huming noises while driving above 40 mph,has any one come across a noise when you are making a turn from a dead stop. Sounds like a rubing noise in the wheel well.Ford service department said every exepedtion he test off the lot does the same thing (told me there was no recall yet) so now what??????
  • I get the rubbing sound when I start from a dead stop too. My '03 Expy is only about 2 months old now and that sound is starting to bother me. Any suggestions?
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    You know, I've tried to find out about the "early" factor on Gators, and can't find anything, however, mine was made in December 03 and has none of the issues these early expeditions are showing. Can't find a key in the VIN on mine, but I am curious. I know I'm not first generation, because I found one engineering change, but I've seen a second engineering change that I don't have, so I'm probably a comparative "B" model.
    Look at the last letter in the VIN. The last 5 or 6 digits will be something like AXXXXX or BXXXXX or CXXXXX. I don't recall if there is 5 or six numbers after the letter.