Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jeffyjeffy Posts: 3
    You sure it's not an electric fan going? If it were the air compressor for the air ride bags, it wouldnt run that long.....hmmmmmmmm, this is a weird one....Havent had it with my 99 Eddie Bauer
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    If there's a leak in the air ride, it could hum a while after shut down.
  • We own a 2001 Ford Expedition. For the last month the 4x4 light is flashing on the dashboard we have checked fuses, the 4x4 system and everything checks out okay, but it continues to flash. Does any one have any ideas of how to get it off?
    Something is throwing an error code. Are you sure the shift motor is engaging or disengaging properly? I'll bet it's stuck.....At any rate, that flashing light is telling you something is wrong - a cry for help, if you will. You should have it checked out, rather than just getting it to turn off, or more problems could be down the dirt road for you.....
  • Good afternoon folks,

My 98 Expedition has had its rear view mirror fall off the inside windshield glass and I would like to glue it back on. I have the glue kit, but I cannot figure out how to separate the steel button the the rear view mirror itself! Never had that problem before, as I am used to the 80s GM allen head screw one could loosen to take the button off the mirror. Any suggestions on how I can get the button off so I can glue it back on the windshield?

Once I do that, I will then have to figure out where the button mounts on the glass, seem that due to the compass and wire guide, it will only mount in one location correctly, and allow the guide to snap in.

Thanks!
    Rob
  • We are having problems with our 2003 Expedition EB, with the easy access driver's seat not moving back and forth when the key is entered into the ignition. The motors have all been replaced and the tracks have been replaced 2 times since July, still the seat locks up and will not even move forward with the manual button. Has any other expedition owner experienced this problem and what has been done to correct it.
  • jeffyjeffy Posts: 3
    This happened to me as well. It was caused by the air ride sensors being out of adjustment after having it alligned. Once they corrected the sensor placement the 4x4 light went off...hope that's all it is for you.
  • twiebetwiebe Posts: 7
    Yep. my '04 had problems when I brought it in for an oil change. They replaced the motor, and when I got in to leave, it didn't work. Half way during a 4 hour trip it started working gain. Then it stopped a week later. Mine Wouldn't slide back and forwards at all. They replaced the entire component this time, rather than a track and/or motor. no problems since.
  • twiebetwiebe Posts: 7
    okay, sounds crazy, but it seemed to have worked. The regional engineer visited my dealership this week and my expedition was scheduled back so he could take a look at the vibration. Turns out the engineer had to teach the guys how to properly use the roadforce machine! Apparently, the foreman told me thay weren't properly centering the tire so the balancing was off. yes, I still have the conti-craps and it will never be as quiet as michelin, but I can go 80 and it's smooth. amazing! My suggestion, bring em in to goodyear or some tire shop that does this for a living and get a second opinion. If they fix it, send ford a bill or make em gas up your truck a few times.
    Most of the time - is really is the tires.....people don't believe me....but.....it is.
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 793
    It was the balance!
    Same thing. Tires. Tires out of balance. Tires out of round. It's all the tires, not the truck is what I mean.
  • I bought a 2004 EB expedition that is a lemon. We have had the rear axle assembly fixed/rebuilt/replaced 4 times and just waiting for it to need to be replaced again. Lots of little problems inside too, what a piece of junk.

Has anyone had problems with the heated seats? Ours only run twice and when turned on a third time, a circuit is tripped and the heat/air for the seats will not turn on again until the car is shut off and restarted. Ford says this is the way it is supposed to be.

Also, has anyone had problems with the air hissing for about 10 minutes at a time intermittently (basically whenever the AC kicks on). It goes away when you slow down. Again, Ford says this is the way it should be.
    "Has anyone had problems with the heated seats? Ours only run twice and when turned on a third time, a circuit is tripped and the heat/air for the seats will not turn on again until the car is shut off and restarted. Ford says this is the way it is supposed to be."

Wouldn't surprise me. These units are Peltiers I think, they take a lot of current to run them on a 12 volt system, and I wouldn't be surprised if Visteon didn't build them to pre heat you, then fault after they assume the cabin is warmed up to save strain on the electrical system until the car is re-started. They like to do that sort of thing.
  • Hi. Have you discovered a cure for the no starting Expedition yet? Have a 97 that has been
    in the Ford shop for 46 day's now. Won't start.
    Replaced fuel pump, computer board, crank sensor,
    fuel filters, etc, etc. They have talked to Ford
    and also other dealers but still cannot fix it.
    Now think that it must be in the wiring harness
    and they have to trace the wires one at at time.
    Any help would be appreciated.
  • I JUST BOUGHT MY WIFE A NEW O4 EXPEDITION. AFTER IT SITS FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME (OVER NIGHT)AND YOU START IT. IT MAKES ALOUD CLUNKING NOISE. AND ALSO WHEN YOU TURN ON THE AIR CONDITION IT MAKES A LOUD CLUNK NOISE. WE TOOK IT IN AND THE SERVICE GUY SAID THAT FORD TOLD THEM NOT TO MESS WITH THE AIR CONDITION. WHAT IS THE DEAL . ANYONE HAVE A CLUE . THANKS DOC.
  • mbjbmbjb Posts: 39
    docholiday40,

The ac chunk is normal. I have an 04 and took it to ford who stated it was normal operating condition. I also took my expy to a friend who owns his own repair shop and he checked the whole ac system, he stated the chunk is the compressor coming on. He also stated no damge is being done. The chunk noise is normal and we have to live with it. I will let it go until the ac craps out and then I will be all over my dealer.
    is actually normal. I don't really like it, but it is normal, they all do it, and I don't think it will crap out any time soon.
  • THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT. OTHER THEN THAT WE ARE VERY HAPPY WITH OUR EXPY. ROLL SPONGE BOB ROLL. P.S. WHERE CAN WE POST PICTURES?
  • I have the samme problem with my 2001 exp 5.4, anybody know what the problem is
  • merseemersee Posts: 11
    Hi all~
    I have a 04 Exp and lately the rear sensors have been going off when nothing is behind me. Actually, some times they work fine, and then minutes later, they go off with nothing behind me. It drives me nuts because I find myself ignoring them, which can't be too good! I am not new to having them, my windstar had them and I never had any problems. Any suggestions before I haul it back to the dealership? Thanks
  • I haven't had any problems with my heated seats. When they cut off I sometimes turn it right back on. I haven't had any problems with the AC hissing either. I think you have other problems and Ford doesn't know what they are talking about. Just my 2 cents worth.
  • I think I heard my faintly in the background the other day beeping when I was in drive after just taking it out of reverse. But I'm not sure. I might have been hearing things. I'm going to keep my ear out though. But other than that no problem.
  • gheimurgheimur Posts: 88
    I have an 2004 EB EXPY 4 wheel. Yes, my A/C clunks when it first comes on, reassuring methat the A/C is working. It's a feature. No other problems now.

Yes, I had a Power Seat that would get stuck intermittently, Ford replaced the motor and than the track. No problem since
  • ejbejb Posts: 5
    I posted a msg on 9-25-04 about my 03Exp.The problem I thought was the after market alarm, I had it removed and the same problem exist. I have had the wiring horness replaced. the pcm in the dash board area replaced, I have had the keys recoded, they even rewired the something that has to do with factory theft system. The only good thing is that it does not go into theft mode and wont start as often. It will start up for about two-weeks with no problem, but after that every now and then it wont start and you have to wait about one-hour and then it will start. When they hooked the Exp up to the computer at the dealership it shows up as no problem with the vehicle. Does anyone have anymore tips that might help! (my original message is #802 if you would like to read the history on my Exp)
    Well, one last thought - your battery could be failing you. When you start it up, do your guages go all the way to the right, then all the way to the left, then go to the operating position instead of just going to operating position? This would be the Tach & Speedometer, and just as the engine starts up.
  • ejbejb Posts: 5
    I just went to start up my vehicle and the gauges go directly to the operating positions. This might sound silly but do you think me being low on gas would have something to do with it? And I noticed that it usually wont start when the vehicle has been sitting up for at least 4 hours and the engine is cold.Thanks EJB
    Ok, then I'm ruling out the battery. Could be a lazy fuel pump, if a low gas level is a constant factor. Fuel pumps are notorious for intermittant failures.

Is there any other aftermarket equipment installed on the truck, like a DVD player maybe?
  • fx4fx4 Posts: 72
    Correct. Isn't there some procedure such as running the vent only for a few seconds the night before? ..enjoy your posts and general
    attitude toward helping others whether they are experienced suv owners or not..

I continue to have a rear end whine type noise in my new 2004 NBX Expedition. Non limited-slip, 3.73 ratio. It is in a very narrow mph range of 66-68 cruising at light throttle. Fairly loud whine under these exact conditions. Ring a bell with anyone? Dealer staff looked at it and said it was the tires. Told them that was seemed impossible because the whine immediately goes away with a bit of throttle increase. Have to spoon feed some of Ford techs--many are in too much of a hurry to listen to the customer's description of the symptoms. I try to do my part by being prepared, going to WWW.NHTSA.gov for TSB, etc. Dealer thinks nothing of having you come back later at the expense of your vacation time, gas.

P.s

Sent a nasty e-mail to the company in Charlotte, NC about their junk, lumpy, bumpy ContiTrac TR tires. Company was actually defending the tires like they were some of the best. Got a follow up card a few weeks later (sorry, but the bad marks went off the page). Would you buy the exact same tire as your first replacement set? Guess what the answer was.
  • merseemersee Posts: 11
    I just installed dust covers on my 04 Exp a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't deal with the constant dirty wheels! It hasn't been that long, but does anyone have experiences good or bad? I have to say, the wheels are spotless!