Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• horst1horst1 Posts: 33
    I do believe you have an antenna problem. Your antenna is picking up alternator noise. Try to isolate the antenna or have it grounded properly. I believe you also can by antenna filters. Good luck with it.
    Horst
  • Thanks for the reply nvbanker. I suspect the power will be adequate for my taste, and I may very well tow a open car trailer with a full size 1968-1988 Oldsmobile from time to time. Between the trailer and the car, we're probably talking about a little less than 5000 pounds. I would think the 230hp 5.4 would be sufficient. Am I totally off base?

Thanks!
    Maytag
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    It'll do it, but it'll huff and puff a bit, whereas the next year, they raised the HP to 260, and I've towed car trailers with that one, with no effort at all.
  • Ford has kept everyone waiting over a year for new "low dust" brake pads

But guess what, They decided to charge $250 plus installation for them instead of covering them like they promised they would.

They are part number 4L1Z-2001-BA
    Please let Ford know what what you think about that.
  • Thanks nvbanker! If it can do it, that will be ok, I dont mind if I have to take my time accelerating with a load. If I had the additional cash, I would probably go for the '99. With my budget, I would probably have to go with a salvage title vehicle if I wanted a 99 or newer, which I would prefer to avoid.

Thanks!
    Maytag
    It'll run like a Maytag, Maytag! They're great trucks.
    Maybe I just wash my truck more often than most. (Average every other week), but it's not that big a deal to me.
  • Now thats what I wanted to hear nvbanker :) I guess the only thing that concerns me are the problem reports from the new models like the 2003, what with the tire vibrations, rear end clutch packs, tales of trans replacements, head gaskets nightmares, oil leaks resulting in engine replacements... Wow... better get that aftermarket warranty!!

Maytag
    You know, I see that on the boards here, but honestly, I don't know ANYBODY who has a bad one, and there are 3 on my block of 8 homes. My #2 at work has a 99 with no problems. I probably know 10 people with Expeditions, none of them are bad. The early 03's had some new model issues, but since the 3rd EC, they've been great. No worries.
  • Take a look around, just about every new Expedition looks like the front wheels were painted black.

For over a year Ford has been telling owners "We are aware of this concern but don't worry we are working on it"

15 months later they come out with the new pads but now have decided that the brake dust they once called "excessive" is now normal and won't pay for it.
  • Hi! I'm having some problems with my 99 Expedition:

I woke up this morning and nothing was getting any power (power door locks/ windows/ignition, etc). I jumped it with my jeep and she started right up. But as soon as I shift into anything but park or neutral, the radio and wipers don't work. The radio completely looses power. The wipers will keep going only if I turned then on when I was in park or neutral. But when I shift back into Park or Neutral, everything works fine! Sometimes after I turn the ignition off I hear a bunch of clicks, kinda like relays clicking, in the dash just to the right of the steering column.

Anyone heard of this before? Could it be the Body Control Module? What should I check?

Thanks for the help!!!

Brett
    Do you have any added on electrical equipment on this baby? Like a DVD player or something?
  • Electrical problems are the (IMO) hardest to troubleshoot and require the greatest expertise fix. It is difficult to find that kind of expertise in mom and pop shops that tend to have more reasonable labor rates. That leaves you stuck generally with taking your vehicle to the dealership and letting them have a go at it.

You might try www.flatratetech.com. Some Ford techs there try to help out people like you although electrical generally requires hands on troubleshooting.

Good luck. A BCM is an expensive fix so cross your fingers and hope it isn't that.
  • atcersatcers Posts: 26
    Hello All,

I usually lurk and read but now is a good time to post. I own a 2003 4x4 Eddie Bauer Expy "A" model 5000 block vintage and it may suprise a few that I have had very few complaints. Yes I have had the advanc-trak module replaced along with the "s" spring fix and new outside memory mirrors. The only other complaints were a raido that would not work with the scan feature and a bad latch on the passanger front door. I sympathize with the owners of the front end vibration as I am blessed to have avoided that problem even with the Conti tires. Yes the wheel dust is an annoyance but there are worse things in life than dirty front wheels. The vehicle is rock solid and the 4x4 system makes easy work of east coast winters. My only truely ongoing gripe is the crummy gas mileage. On the highway with no a/c at 65mph I get 15.5 mpg with the 5.4L, around town 14mpg. The strange thing is I towed a 3000 pound vehicle on a car carry trailer (5000 lbs gross) from the Washington DC area to western West Virginia through the WV mountians with no problems whatsoever (OD turned off) and averaged 13.5mpg! I would recommend the new Expy to anyone who is looking for a full sized SUV and doesn't expect too much in the way of fuel economy.
    Despite rising gas prices (and I have to put Premuim in my beast), I am not unhappy with the mileage for the size and power of the truck. If I wanted mileage, I'd get an Escape.
  • I'm going to be placing an order for a new vehicle in April. I am 95% settled on an 04 Expedition. My only wish is that the Ford had a little more power so it was a bit zippier around town. I've driven them a couple of times and that is the only thing I notice that stikes me as out of place.

Historically the Ford products we've owned have been good to us so I am looking for that to continue with this purchase. I'm planning on buying it outright and keeping it over time so an extended warranty is in my plan too.

These boards have been helpful to get a variety of perspectives on owner experiences.

What turned it for me in the end was initial purchase price and safety.

GM - cost more to get into initially and has NO OPTION for second row side impact protection. WHAT is GM thinking? Are second row passengers not as important? My children are going to be riding there. GM has sub par crash test scores relative to Ford.

Foreign - Have superior long term reliability and resale value but simply cost too much to get into.

Fuel economy is not playing into this decision as it is similar across all manufacturers for full size SUVs.

Anyhow those are my thoughts.
    Personally, I think the power is there, just not at the 800 RPM level as much as the GM pushrod engines deliver. Yet, the tip in of power on my Navigator is almost too much. That's a slightly
    different version of the engine though. You'll have enough power in the Expedition for whatever you need to do.
  • Thanks for all the info all of you have posted. Just picked up my 04 loaded monochrome loaded Eddie Bauer. Wow what a vehicle.......we're pretty fired up, having the satellite radio installed next week.

Thanks for all the intel!
    Congrats!! Monochrome version, eh? What color do those come in?