Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    But did you replace the tires when you got the new rims? The issue is with the tire, I believe, not the rims.
  • gheimurgheimur Posts: 88
    Thanks MBJB, The only other issue that I have is intermittently the 2nd and 4th buttons on the outside keypad entry don't illuminate. I hate to bring it in for something so minor. Otherwise I
    really like the 04 XP.
  • No i didn't replace the tires. They did replace the tires once before i got the new rims and still had a vibration problem.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Pretty much all Fords with a V-8 at least, will make that noise on start up, particularly if it has sat a day or more. It is normal, if not annoying, and not damaging. It's freaky at the car lot though, when you are testing out a new car, and you start it up - and you get that grind. But it's nothing, and nothing they can get rid of either.
    In my experience with these trucks, 99% of the time it's the tires, and here's the problem. The Rack & Pinion steering is SO sensitive to road feel, which is supposedly a good thing, that any little imperfection in a tire, even one otherwise undetectable, is transmitted up to the driver via the steering wheel. Cheap tires will never pass muster, and un fortunately, Ford puts fairly cheap tires on most Expeditions. Get them to put a set of Michelins on, with factory rims (because ALL aftermarket rims are not round, you know) and you will probably be ok. Even with my Michelins, there is one tire that vibrates if on the front. ON the back it is not felt at all. I just keep the 2 round ones on the front.

I wish Ford could dampen down the road feel just a little, and in the old trucks, or GM's trucks with the old fashioned reciprocating ball steering, ala 1940, you don't feel these things until they are quite severe. The bad comes with the good steering.
  • Sorry for the delay, but since I've had my replacement Expy I haven't been on here as much.

The problems I had started with a trans. leak in the rear end. The seals were replaced then the rear end was replaced and the leak still continued. I then had a brake failure related to the advance trac. The check advance trac message came on the display once I was able to stop the vehicle. I took it to the dealership and a code came up that said that I had been in an uncontrolled braking situation for greater than 30 secs.

3 days later, Ford agreed to take the vehicle back without a fight. The new vehicle is great. No advance trac.

Good luck
  • tourguidetourguide Posts: 188
    I'm glad to hear your new Expedition is in good working order. We just purchased (in May) an 04 with Advance Trac and it has been a pleasure to drive for sure.

The only thing that tames the pleasure of driving this fine charriot is it's thirst. I live a little over 6 miles from work and I figure I am paying ~$2.00 for my daily commute. I would feel a whole lot better about owning this beast if gas prices were a little lower.
  • mbjbmbjb Posts: 39
    Hey Tourguide,

I feel the same way, but when I brought this monster I knew that the cost of fuel would be a killer. In Chicagoland I am paying $1.82 for regular unleaded. BP is loving me now.
    I probably shouldn't have figured out the cost of my daily communte, but the difference was so dramatic going to this vehicle from our Caravan that I got curious. When I did the math I was a bit surprised at the result.

I heard a distrubing rumor from a friend yesterday that gas prices may hit $4-$5/gal. this year. That really hit home in light of my recent research.

When I started researching this purchase over a year ago, gas was peaking out at ~$1.50/gal and I knew it was going to be more expensive to drive this, but when gas prices went up 25% that starts to change your thinking. I can say for certain that if gas prices hit between $3.50 and $4.00/gal I'm going to be trading this beast in regardless of where I am on my payment schedule. It really stinks because I like driving it SO much, but I'm not going to be cycling $100 or more through the tank every other week.
    If gas prices do that, a lot of us will be putting our beloved trucks on the block - which will mean they'll be cheap as hell to buy - and may be worth the gas it costs to run them for some people! I have 18 months left on my Navigator lease - when it's up, gas prices will likely dictate if I will get another one, or move to a sedan.
  • This is a post from a new used owner. I have a 98 Expedition. Just bought it used for a good price, and I love it. I need to get it serviced so this may have answered my own question. My check engine light came on and it has stayed on. It has not blinked, which is good news according to the owners manual. Can anyone tell me, before I take it to be serviced, what this may be, besides the solutions that the owners manual has given.

Thanks
    One of the most common causes of the CEL coming on is an oxygen sensor going out. If I had to place bets on what it is, that would be my first guess. An oxygen sensor will run you about $50 to replace I think including parts and labor.
  • Hi all, I lurked this forum for information on vibration in front end at 65-70 on '01 expy I purchased recently. I took it to a local reputable tire shop. These are the 17" goodyear wilderness that are stock. Aluminum rims. Contritrac 4 wheel drive, 5.4 motor.

Each tire was a little cupped. Took the worst one and replaced with new spare. Put the best ones on front. Re-aligned, was about 5 degrees off in the front. Re-balanced all tires, they were a little off. One rim had a very slight dent, so put that one in the back. Problem solved!!

The shop says to come back in a couple weeks to make sure all is well. Note, I also tow a 20' boat with no problems.

Next time I need tires I am considering the dayton wilderness HT. Consumer reports rates the RT very highly, but I really don't need an agressive tread. Any opinions on the wilderness HT, or the Goodyear Fortera HT?
  • deanctdeanct Posts: 10
    I just bought an 04 Expedition. Has anyone noticed how skinny the steering wheel is? Even the explorer, focus and the mini van have thicker steering wheels. Other than that the car is great so far. One more thing, has anyone noticed a burning smell at times while running the A/C?
    I like the size of the steering wheel. I haven't noticed any burning smell when running the A/C. I would have it checked out if it doesn't go away.
  • limehe3limehe3 Posts: 2
    Hi, I have owned my 04 xlt a week. The dealer had it 5 of the 7 days i've owned it.... interior lighting not working (three days later they found a relay on the instrument panel burned and all bulbs blown), vibration at 70mph ( road balanced the tires), and a hiss associated with the a/c( their answer is its normal).The a/c hiss gets louder the faster the engine runs and tonight I found the condensate is hitting the cat heat shield instead of draining out of the rubber line. Has anyone had problems with this hiss? thank you
    I have an 04 EB . I do not hear any hiss. Do you hear it inside the car? or only outside. Is the A/C cold. Do you have the climate control or standard A/C?
  • jeff88jeff88 Posts: 94
    Do not hear hiss from automatic air conditioning either in our newish EB. Only noise we hear is the fan at high speed early in the cycle to cool things quickly. It's actually pretty quiet when the fan returns to normal after initial rush of air.
    -------------------------
    I too think the steering wheel is a bit thin and thought the same about our prior '95 explorer eb. prefer the more fattish leather wrapped wheels.
    -----------------------------
    Speaking of the steering wheel, this is something my wife read and passed along. With airbags mounted on the steering wheels these days, the safest method of holding the wheel is definitely at 10 and 2 o'clock -- the air bag explosion is then less likely to hurt ones arms witht he explosion and if the driver is seated far enough away from the bag, less likely to hurt the chest area too. the ideal position is to be holding the wheel at 10 and 2 with the arms slightly bent so the chest area is at maximum distance away from the airbag.

That's not a problem for me since it's basically the driver position I've always had except that often with the thinner wheel, I'll have my hands at 9 and 3 so they are more comfortable with my thumbs resting on the wheel spokes. (It always makes me cringe when I see drivers really close to the airbags, arms bent at more than 90 degrees, especially when they're yakking away on the cell phone. the airbag is likely to hurt them way more than the accident would.) Wonder what the sound of an airbag explosion is like when heard on the other end of a cell phone call?
  • Yes, I hear it inside and it has a manual controller(XLT). The weather has been cooler the last couple of days and I have noticed the noise doesn't start until the car gets hot. Then it seems to go away when I hit the brakes or coast, which makes me thinks it's vacuum related. This is my sixth new Ford and the only one that I have had this problem with. I will take it back to the dealer next week.
    Sounds as if your controller, or a blend door has a vacuum leak. Though, most of these things are now electric, there's a vacuum leak under there somewhere.......