Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have a 2000 XLT and really LOVE it. We've had no problems with it until now and thankfully it's really a small thing...the child safety locks on the back doors keep engaging themselves.

We have an extended warranty, but I'm guessing they will call this "trim" work and we'll have to pay for whatever could be the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? It's extremely annoying!
  • Has anyone had any luck with TSB's after the warranty has expired? I have a 99 with a leaking right hand head gasket that is at 55k. The TSB for this came out in June '01 and relates to a scrap of metal imbedded between the head and the gasket. The really great part of the TSB is the last paragraph which says if there is a depression deeper than .001" in the head, "replace the motor". Obviously, I want them to pay and was wondering how discussions like these have gone in the past for others.
  • Has anyone had any luck getting Technical Service Bulletin work done after the warranty period? I have a 99 with the 5.4 which recently developed an oil leak from the head gasket at 55k miles. There is a TSB which was issued in June 01 for "metal scraps" embedded in the gasket/head/block. Depending on what they find after inspection, the TSB has them replace the heads or the motor. In any event, the estimates for this repair range from really expensive to outrageous, and for a manufacturing defect at low mileage, I'm not going to pay peacefully.
    For those who don't regularly check your oil (and I usually don't since I change it every 4 weeks), this was a real shock - there were no stains or drippings because it leaks right above the manifold, and burns off, maybe an occasional check is warranted.
  • I own a 2000 Expedition 4X4 with a 5.4 engine, 65,000 miles. Recently it suddenly started running very rough and lost power. The "service engine soon" light came on. I have taken to local repair shop and they said likely to be an ignition coil that has gone bad. The mechanic said the coils seam to be a problem with the Expeditions. Anyone else had similar problem? If so, was it the ignition coil? Thanks.
  • My 1997 XLT has had three major problems under 100k miles, 1) 50k miles rough running tune-up etc $600+ 2) 72k miles running rough collapsed intake air line $300+ 3) 88k really rough running oxygen sensor, plugs and coils $685. Has anybody else had problems
    like these, any help from Ford? I can't afford to buy vechicles with problems like this. Ford refused to help at all.
  • I'm about to pass 36K on my 99 EB. Over all I really like the vehicle, but it has had it's share of growing pains. Biggest was a frame replacement after a mini van ran a light in front of me (he lost and ended upside down and totaled). Biggest headache until recently was a clunking in the front end (after 4 trips to the dealer resulted in new pitman arm and tie rod ends the finding was the control arm needed retorqing after the frame replacement. Also the torque converter coded out (I complained of a surging at highway speeds), once the pan was dropped metal was found and the tranny was overhauled. Next (2 days later) it started missing and back to the dealer for the #4 coil to be replaced (an ongoing problem with Expy's due to its positioning around a coolant line). New multi function stalk and CD. What's next? And people wonder why I buy an ESP each time I make a vehicle purchase. That Surburban rental sure looked, rode, and drove nice!
  • I'll answer my own questions from earlier since I have now had an experience getting TSB work done off warranty. The mystery oil leak is a cracked cylinder head, more common than Ford would care to admit. Dealer quote for replacement $2200, Ford picks up $1700. Comes with a free oil change and plugs.
  • Need some advice. We are in a position to purchase a 01' v6 jeep grand cherokee laredo, or a 97' xlt expidition. We are going to be towing a boat and do not want to have any problems. I hear that larger suv's go through a lot of brakes. How is the safty reports on the expidition. Gas miles on each are pretty much a wash. We do like the room in the expidition.
  • gloraglora Posts: 1
    Have had the Expedition for 3 years with no problems...love it..big...roomy and very easy to park.

Now the problem - lately it seems that the get up and go has got up and GONE. When you press on the gas the engine takes off like it is going somewhere but it struggles to move. Have had the transmission checked and they cannot find anything wrong. Now the blinker sometimes decides not to work, the child locks turn themselves on and the door ajar light comes on sometimes and will not go off! Also, the brake pads are wearing out really fast and leaving black powdery residue all over my wheels!

I see from several boards that I have been to that most of these problems seem to be common (except for the sluggish engine) but no one ever says that they were fixed!

Have you managed to get yours fixed? The child lock thing could be a hazard if you are in an accident and need to get out! I worry that there is an electrical problem (the door ajar thing)that may set the thing on fire (while in my garage) but the dealer can't seem to find anything to fix!

Any one have any ideas?
  • I have a 1999 Expedition with 30,000 miles on it, at 25,000 all 4 doors were starting to rust on the underside, along the seam located at bottom of door. Took it back to dealer and they supposedly fixed the problem. They said they sanded it down and injected some sort of a anti-rust agent and then repainted. 6 months later the problem is back on all 4 doors. Was wondering if anyone has had this problem as I can picture a big problem getting them to fix it properely.
  • My 2000 Exp started slipping at 15,000 as I backed up my Trailer even though the Exp was equipped with all the towing accessories required. I brought it back to Ford and they had no argument. The transmission was replaced A SAP. Otherwise the Exp has been great.
  • Take WD-40 and spray it in the locks of the doors. Make sure to put a lot. Wait about an hour and the problem should be solved. Go to www.f150world.com and ask your question there. You will get a ton of responses. Try that. Also there is www.F150online.com . Although not that popular. I had the same prob with the door adjar and asked the guys there I got a response within 20 minutes. Seems that the door adjar problem is very popular with Fseries and Expys. Later.

-The Gasguzzler
  • psand025,

I had the same problem with my right rear door on my '97 Expo. I took it into the dealer and it was covered under my extended warranty. Only cost was the $50 deductable. It's been working ok so far.

Hope that helps.
  • I wrote earlier about this problem but have not heard of any resolution. I have a "01" 5.4 Expedition XLT. During excelleration you can hear a metal pinging sound. I have had it too the dealer twice but with no success. The good news is that they hear the problem but just can't pin point it. I am taking it in again this week to give it another try. Wish me luck. If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it. If not then I will let you know what happens.
  • I've noticed that in the last year there only have be 96 posts on Ford Expedition problems. There also was 623 posts on the Ford Expediton thread. Out of a million vehicles sold since 97 thats not very many. Compared to the Chevy Yukon, Tahoe, and Suburban of 5016 posts or complaints. I know more Fords have sold then the other three. I wonder if this is telling everyone somthing.

Frankk.

2001 5.4L 4x4 XLT and just love it.
  • I think it is just getting passe. Nobody responds to others problems, and there is very little back and forth. Used to be able to log on and find 15 new messages over a weekend, now it is one or two if any. I follow the Pathfinder boards since I recently bought one of them, and that is a spirited board. Lots of exchanges, and people helping each other. It will more than likely pick up after the body style change this year.
  • Been awhile since I've been on this forum, but has anyone had problems with the rear door locks breaking. First it was the right, then the left, now the right again. It just breaks off and falls down inside the door. Have a neighbor who has had the same problems. My 99 EXP has 27k miles, so it's still under warranty, times up in May though. I had MANY problems when this vehicle was new, including a new tranny at 6500, but over the last 1 1/2 years it has been mostly trouble free.
  • expoman1expoman1 Posts: 1
    I have a 97 expedition that my dad game me and I had no idea its has air suspension for like 3 years now! how does it work?
  • there is no need to do anything. There is a switch in the passenger area where the feet are. If it is on then the air suspension is operating. You probably have air bags in the back. When the car senses a heavy load, it automatically lifts about 1in I believe. You might hear a buzzing sound for about 5 seconds, thats normal. Make sure to have the suspension turned off when your car goes on a lift or when changing a tire. This may cause damage. Later.

Gasguzzler007
  • expownerexpowner Posts: 1
    Bodyman,

Did you ever get an answer to your smoking problem? I have a 2001 Exp. (4.6L) with 10k miles with the same problem.

Also, do you notice any oil loss?

THANKS
  • compman5compman5 Posts: 2
    Can anyone provide the URL for the website that lists all the TSB's issued for the Expedition? I saw it on Edmunds quite some time ago, and can't remember the address. Thanks!
  • dont know if this is the link you were looking for but it is helpful....http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/index.cfm
  • thomasmithomasmi Posts: 6
    I've been thinking of buying a used Expedition, '99-'00. Two vehicles ago, I had a new'97 F150 and loved it. Since then, the IIHS offset crash tests came out and nixed the idea of another F150 pickup. I do not find any record of a crash test for the Expedition. Do they consider them the same as far as the offset is concerned? Is the front end of the Expedition identical to the F150, or are there additional structural modifications that set it apart.
    Thanks for the input.
  • waarcewaarce Posts: 4
    Three weeks ago I purchased a loaded 2002 Ford Expedition XLT which cost me $36,693.15 and after adding tax, license, doc fees and Premium Care for 6 years or 75,000 miles (Paid $895.00 for this) the total purchase price came to $40,955.05, it was not as good as other people seems to be getting around here, but my trade in was only worth $6500.00 as a trade in (1996 Mazda MPV ES w/87100 miles) and I still owed $12,762.00 on it. The dealer offered me $10,000 for the trade in, and as result had to pay the upside down in the amount of $2762.00, which was my actual down payment + the $2,500 Manufacturers Rebate in addition to the $895.00 Premium care. I had to pay out of my own pocket $3657.00, I don't know if a made a good deal, but my 1996, after close to 6 years of faithful service and never been to the dealer for warranty service, was getting old and worn inside (had leather) and starting to have some problems, in a month alone I had to replace the struts and the rear air shocks, ball bearings, break pads and a tune. This was starting to add up and no longer economically feasible. I still had to make payments on the Mini-Van in the amount of $520.00 per mo. for an additional 2 1/2 years, but nonetheless it has been a good a reliable Mini-Van.

Currently, I owned another Ford product a 2000 Taurus SEL which I bought new on 10/2000 and currently has 17,000 miles on it. During this time the car has been to the dealer for the Check Engine Light, the air bags light coming on and off, warped rotors and new brake pads, master cylinder went out at 16,000 and the rear passenger seat belt did not retract and recall regarding the rear brake light on the spoiler. Otherwise, it has been "good" ride and a enjoy it, it has the "big" engine. I did buy the extended warranty for 5 years or 65,000 miles just in case. The car is maintained above and beyond manufacturer's recommendation and is kept in mint condition so far.

In reference to our new Expedition, I have had no problems with it, so far, considering that after three weeks, it only has 600 miles on it and it is only driven by the wife 1 1/2 miles each way to work. I did buy the extended warranty for as long as I am making payments on it, because after reading all the horror stories about Ford cars, it will be really foolish for anyone not to buy, it is an small price to pay for peace of mind. I will probably trade it after I am thru paying for it, as I don't want to have to deal with problems after the warranty expires. Also, my experience with the Ford Taurus, has made me a believer in these warranties.

I do think however, that problems with Ford cars may not be as endemic as many people in this forum may want others to believe. I have a good dealership, which provides excellent service and had no complaints. I will caution however, to other Ford owners in the Pasadena CA area to stay away from Pasadena Ford their service is horrible, tried it when the master cylinder went out and the rear seat belt needed repair and it took them three days to fix the cylinder problem and order the seat belt assembly on the third day, with a promise to be called when the part arrive. They did not call when the part arrived three days letter, it wasn't until three weeks later, when I called them, that I was told to bring the car and leave it for a day to fix the seat belt. Now that is lousy service, not only that, when you go there, the service advisors wont even acknowledge you are there and it takes an act of congress to get their attention. Left a message with the Service Manager regarding the innapropriate service that I received, but he never had decency to return my call. I will suggest that you try Advantage Ford in Monrovia, CA, the dealer where I bought my two Ford Cars. They seem to care and are straight forward with you as to when the car will be ready. As a holder of Ford Premium Care, I was immediatly offered a car rental, but this was not the case with Pasadena Ford, the car rental was not offered until the next day in the P.M.

Overall Ford Experience, I guess is good. I only wish not to have problems with my cars in the future. I love the Expedition, I did not like the new 2003, as it looks like an oversized EXPLODER, which I dislike tremendously. Gas mileage is bad, I have the 5.4L V8 engine w/towing package (I don't tow anything by the way).

Good Luck to all and God Bless.
    Sorry for the typos and poor sentence construction, but I am kinda sleepy right now.

Sorry folks.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,140
    You have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message using the edit button, but no biggie -- we all understand what you are saying. Thanks for the details!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• thom3thom3 Posts: 2
    Still no comments on offset crash tests?
    Anyone out there know how they fare? Is the Expedition the same front end as the F-150.
    Thanks again for the help!
    I think you are comparing apple and oranges. Given, there are similarities between the F-150 wheel base with that of the Expedition, as a matter of fact, they share it, but their construction and physical appearance (sides and rear end) are different.

As far as I am concern, the comparison within the two, is not applicable. However, your point is well taken.
  • mm6759mm6759 Posts: 2
    I need some advice. I'm looking to buy a 2000 expedetion and I wanted to know if the bigger engine is the way to go. I live in Colorado & will take it to the mountains some of the time but not real often. Will it make that much of a difference which enging I choose. Also, what are the commone prices for a 2000 eddie bauer. Thanks
  • enoch777enoch777 Posts: 1
    Do I need to purchase the tow package or any thing else to tow about 1000 lbs cross county.