Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I'd take it in anyway. Tell them what's happening, that it acts up only when raining or snowing. Ask them to look around and see if there is moisture or water getting into areas around the drivers side floor board up under the dash. Or, pull the carpet and matting back and look for yourself.
  • I replaced the rear pads on my 1999 Expy XLT and the parking brake is still not holding the vehicle. Not really a problem unless parked in a hillside area; however, I need to get it working. Can't find an adjustment for it anywhere on the vehicle???
  • I would be willing to bet your GEM module is wet from a water leak. If you find that is the case, get it to an auto-glass place and have them find the leak and seal it to solve the problem.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I've not heard of that happening, but it could. I have seen the subwoofers die before.
  • Thanks, I will do that. Can you tell me where the GEM module is?
  • It is up by your fuse box under the dash.
  • I've got the same problem. I noticed it right after I got my '03 EB and complained to the dealer. They test drove it and obviously didn't hear the same LOUD sound it makes nor did they find any problems. But after reading this and finding out that I'm not alone, I'm going to be stopping by Tustin Ford and making a much bigger stink about this. My truck now has 18,500 miles on it and the sound is loud and clear. Every time I complain about it they rotate the tire to the rear and I don't hear it anymore.

Anyone have any hard evidence to show my dealer????
  • I had my brakes changed last month and they're perfect now. No dust. Of course when I went in there they told me there's no problem and they usually change out the brakes at only 15K miles!!! My butt they do. That's terrible. My old '93 Pathfinder's brakes lasted over 80K miles!!

Anyway, they only charged me $200 to do the front brakes.
  • I had my front pads changed at a local brake shop using ceramicool 100% true ceramic brakes on my 2003 EB expedition. The costs were 135.00 for the brakes, and the labor was 45.00. I did not turn the rotors as mine only had 23,000 miles on it at the time. The part number is below:

Ceramicool(True ceramic premium pads) D934, I purchased mine from brake world .com
  • fx4fx4 Posts: 72
    I haven't been on for a couple of weeks.

Question. Could you remove the lugs with your standard Expedition factory supplied lug wrench after the 150 lbs installation? My 400 lb (fairly decent quality Lowe's Professional series)impact wrench with my nearly new oil-lube 20 gallon compressor set at max 120 lbs would not even begin to loosen the lug nuts tightened as described in my original post. Same for long single handled Ford supplied lug wrench. At 235 lbs and very strong arms and hands from a lifetime of working on things and sports, etc., I'm way stronger than the average guy trying to change a flat with the factory lug wrench gear. Might have been able to get lugs off at home with a jumbo sized 4-way lug wrench. Don't know? Firestone store's Ingersol type pro wrench at 600 lbs backed them right off. Still, the Firestone tech was way surprised at having to reach for a 4 foot power handle to move them by hand. No need to have a spare tire at these excessive lug nut torque specs.

Thanks for your reply!
  • Here is a more specifc description of where the GEM module is located. This is taken from another forum which I cannot mention here. I hope this proves helpful.

"Fuse panel and GEM are under the dash on the left side. There should be a cover or two over them. The GEM is bolted to the back side of the fues panel... the assembly is held in by 4 10mm bolts on the front side and two big electrical connectors that are also held in by 10mm bolts. There are three other connectors on the GEM that are simple press to release type. The water, or evidence there of, will probably be most easily seen inside the big connectors."
  • lenrlenr Posts: 13
    Excellent point! I haven't tried the Expedition supplied lug wrench since I only have 10,000 miles on it, but I'm not sure it will be worth the effort as you pointed out. I actually gave up using factory wrenches years ago since they always want to slip off the lugs due to an uneven application of torque. In the driveway I use an extra large 4 way so I can lean into it while applying straight on torque. I often carry a 4 way with me, but haven't needed it away from home yet--I run good quality tires and haven't got caught with any must-change flats. The Expedition has such large, heavy, tires that I have purchased a lifetime rotation, balance, plan from my local tire shop. The first time that they torqued them to 150, I was just livid thinking that they probably damaged something. Then I found the service bulletin saying that they were supposed to be 150. Since every Expedition for years has had the larger lug, you would think that Ford could get their owner's manual changed from 100!
  • I have the same problem with my 2001 Expedition. Any help would be appreciated. I am having some problems removing the subwoofer to check it, I guess I need to remove the whole enclosure. I have been looking for an overload reset, but have not found one.
  • I have a 2003 expedition with 30,000 miles.
    I just started to here a "clank" from the front end when i turn the wheel during parking.
    I did a search and did not find anything.
    Could it be the ball joints... is there a inherent problem?
    thanks
    Jeff
  • I have an 03 Expedition with 25,000 miles on it. Brake service shop (that I trust) is telling me I need new front rotors already which, they say, is highly unusual. I'm taking it back to Ford, as perhaps the rotors were faulty. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • I've diagnosed my same problem to be a bad amp. I have power and signal going into the amp, but, no signal coming out. My subwoofer seems to be ok. Checked the resistance on it, and tested with an alternate input. I'm not sure where to find a replacement amp, my guess is a salvage yard.
  • I have a 99 expedition XLT with the same parking brake problem, the pedal goes to the floor but
    the brakes do hold, can not find an adjustment
    at all on brake cable.
  • fitguyfitguy Posts: 222
    I carry a "Gorilla Wrench" lug wrench, it'a an L-shaped wrench w/long extendable handle and 2 heavy-duty sockets. Gets more leverage than a 4-way cross wrench- I've yet to find a lugnut it won't remove. Avail. at many auto & marine parts stores and online.
  • wijocowijoco Posts: 462
    Rear discs? If so, then you need to take it to a dealer and have it adjusted correctly. No offense, but there is a special procdure and tool required to replace pads on these and if you botch it not only won't have a parking brak but the mechanism won't self-adjust which is a safety issue.
  • In message 842 I stated my Expedition whine/vibration, and that Ford acknowledged a problem and was working on it. The answer was to change out the diff. bearings. In my case, they replaced the rear end with a new rear end with heavy bearings, and that solved the problem. I also later replaced the continentals with Michelin SUV tires and it drives like a different animal. I now love it and intend to never drive anything else.