Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• gheimurgheimur Posts: 88
    My heart goes out to you. Good Luck with Ford fixing it. I don't understand how
    they could not be responsible for it. It can only happen from the inside out. With all
    the excitement of getting a new vehicle you could of missed it . I had one on my
    old car, I did nothing about it and soon forgot about it. I have seen PDR done
    on vehicles with great results, Again Good Luck in having Ford fix it. Let us know
  • racman66racman66 Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer. Was in mint condition with 35500 miles on it. I was parked when an 82 year old man slammed into my truck from the rear pushing it into a parked Toyota camry. damage is about 13000 dollars. Can anyone tell me what kind of value my truck is going to lose even if it is fixed?
  • wkohlerwkohler Posts: 74
    Well, not sure what you have in the way of options, but for the "base" EB Kelley Blue Book lists an 03 Expedition at just a little over $24,000 retail. Trade-in value would be considerably less; probably around $18,000 IF the vehicle was in as good as condition as you implied. Of course, there was most likely an accident report filed. In that case, any dealer or any one wanting to find out the history of the vehicle only needs to get a report from carfax to find out it was wrecked. Then, who knows???
  • cyr1cyr1 Posts: 2
    IM FAIRLY SURE MY AMP IN MY 02 EB EXPY IS SHOT. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS EXPERIENCE AND WHAT DID THEY DO FOR A REPLACEMENT BESIDES FORKING OUT $350 TO THE DEALER? WOULD A 97-99 SUB/AMP COMBO FIT? HELP ME!!!!!!
  • ccoxccox Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Expo that sometimes won't start at all.
    The car has power, but it won't crank at all.
    I just hear a "click" noise.
    The inside lights and dash lights are fine.
    Any ideas on what the problem could be???
  • teldocteldoc Posts: 49
    Question for anyone with a 2003 or newer Expy....

When you went to replace the stock ContiCraps TRs, what brand/model tire did you go with? Are you happy with your selection. I'm interested in on-road, quiet touring tires.

And the big question I have: Has anyone switched to blackwall tires? Seems they look great on almost every other SUV but even with trillions of Expys on the road, I've not seen one without raised white letters.

I've had excellent service from my 2004 (28,000 miles) but the tires have been less than I expected in terms of durability (tread damage, nails etc).

Thanks!
    David
    St Louis
  • questmomquestmom Posts: 3
    When I turn on my expedition, I now hear a loud grumbling/pumping sound every time that I am tending to believe is the automatic load leveling. :sick: It stops after about 15-20 seconds. It's also making this sound more and more even when I'm driving (used to only make it when something heavy was put in the SUV and even then only at start up)... could it be that the shock is bad and keeps trying to pump up to level out things? I want to take to the dealer, but don't know if I should tell them I think it's the load-leveling or not... I don't want to be taken advantage of either. :confuse: If it is the shock(s), how do I know which is bad ? How many are there (4?)... Should I change all at one time? Is there something else that could be wrong? A pump? something else missing? This all started happening after my daughter drove the SUV from Florida to Pennsylvania and back a couple of months ago. Any direction any of you can provide would be most appreciated. I only have 59,000 miles on it. Also, how much should I expect to pay for the shock replacement? I did some looking and it looks like the parts are anywhere from $59-$80/each.... Help? :cry: Will it hurt anything, other than my nerves, if I don't get this taken care of right away? Will it damage the truck in anyway to have this shock or whatever operating in this manner? What would be some consequences of driving this way a couple of more days and/or weeks?

Also, when I am driving, I hear a lot of rattles from the console, dash, etc... I know it's just things loosening up since it's almost 5 years old, but if I take the expy in to have the shocks worked on, can I also ask that they tighten up all the loose parts in the interior too? I know years ago, anytime my mom got one little rattle in her car, she told her mechanic and he took care of it... her cars hardly ever made any noise at all... can this kind of thing still be done? :confuse:
  • questmomquestmom Posts: 3
    Another question... I had purchased an extended warranty on my 2001 Expy and didn't buy another when that one ran out @ 50,000 miles (now have ~59,000) miles cause I thought I'd probably be trading the truck... as luck would have it, I'm going to keep it for a while now so I'm wondering if experience tells you all that I should look into another extended warranty and whether it would be worth it to buy one or just eat the cost of repairs. I'm not really in a position financially now to be paying out a lot for repairs but I have no idea what the failure rate on a 5 year old Expy is. How would I know I got a good warranty? What should one cover? Help? Are there any major things that I could anticipate having to repair based on the repair history of Expeditions overall? Also, if an extended warranty is advised... any recommendations for a company from which to purchase?
    Thanks! :blush:
  • trevorbtrevorb Posts: 4
    Is ur amp not still under warranty? mine was out when I bought my 2001 EB. they promised to replace it then gave me the run around. I went to to the owner got his daughter. shee was most helpful. waiting on the part now. the amp only costs about $150. from the dealer(i am assuming this is ur bass amp). the amp is next to ur sub-woofer, rear passenger side by the lift-gate. remove the panels. U can do it urself.
    A few months ago I replaced the tires on my 03 Expedition with Michelins. Quiet and much less intrusive with the Michelins. I didn't bother doing any research as I had Michelins on a suburban I owned and was very pleased. The tires are LTX 4. I have heard that BF Goodrich provide a decent tire for considerably less than the Michelins. The cost for the Michelins was around $740 at Sears. That included mounting, balancing and free tire rotation and balancing for as long as I own the vehicle.
  • teldocteldoc Posts: 49
    Thanks, I've had those on a land cruiser and they were great also.

Any fashion sensitive Expy owners try the blackwall? How does that look?
  • fitguyfitguy Posts: 222
    I have a 2000 XLT, not same vehicle but in mint condition and with a very fussy owner. I replaced the crappy Wranglers with, believe it or not, Firestone Destination LE's. Was ready to go with Michelins as I put them on my '97 Explorer and they were great. I have 17" tires and the Michelins are grossly overpriced, IMO. Did a lot of research on tirerack.com and CR, Firestone is making some excellent tires now (they have to, or they are gone). Mounted them blackwall as my wife is called the Curb Queen; the blackwalls look MUCH better than raised letter white. And the Firestones are excellent in all respects- handling, quietness, rain and snow performance. The debacle with the Explorers and Firestone tires was part their fault, part owners who ran the tires with low pressures causing heat and failures. I run these at 40 psi for better gas mileage and with this size tire, no noticable difference in ride quality (the previous series Expy's ride stiff, anyway). Paid about $400 for the set, mounted and balanced.
  • fitguyfitguy Posts: 222
    I am considering trading my 2000 Expy for an '05- have read back through this thread a few times and got the lowdown on the early '04's and all the problems. Wondering how the '05's have been for any that own them? The only other full-size SUV's that make sense for us each have a drawback- the Sequoia has 3rd row seats that must be removed (done that enough times with our 2000 Expy, it's a hassle) and the Armada has had reliability/build quaility issues. Both are overpriced. For a full-size SUV with good tow capacity and fold-flat 3rd row seat, the Expy is really the only choice.(Durango not an option; don't like Chrysler products). Any feedback much appreciated!
    I noticed you didn't mention anything against GM. Having said that I've had very good luck in the past with suburbans. I currently own a late build 03 Expeditionand have had NO problems what-so-ever. I did upgrade the brakes to eliminate the brake dust issue, but, the brakes did operate as advertised. I know a couple of folks in my area who own and 05 Expedition. One has had no problems, the other has had A/C problems. Neither one has a lot of miles though. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that no matter what you get, it winds up being somewhat of a crap shoot. I was considering getting an 05 with the 3V engine, but why give up a perfectly good vehicle and take the chance of the new one being a :lemon: Good Luck. By the way, you should be able to get a good deal. All kinds of 05 and 04 Expeditions, suburbans, Durango, et al. sitting around.
  • mbjbmbjb Posts: 39
    teledoc,

I got rid of my contcraps when I purchased my expy and I went with the Bridgestone Dueller AT Revo. The ride is smooth and quiet. Also the revos are rated very good traction in rain and snow. I do not remember the price but check out tirerack.com.
  • jon1214jon1214 Posts: 1
    Have your battery tested first. My '01 Expedition had the gauges rotating all the way to the right on startup and another forum stated that the battery was starting to go. In checking the battery it was at half life and upon changing it the problem went away. This may be affecting some of the other systems also.
  • doc4baxdoc4bax Posts: 3
    Hello everyone, I just bought a 2003 Expedition with 26000mi. When you get to 40MPH you start to hear a howling sound from the tranny, actually sounds like its coming from the front driver side wheel. Only hear it when I give it a little gas. I brought it in to the dealer and the guy says it's the ring and pinion in the rear-end. That's what it sounds like but the sound is coming from up front. Just curious if anyone else has this problem.
  • compman6compman6 Posts: 3
    I had a similar problem with my 99. I had lights and the windows worked, but the radio wouldn't work either. The problem turned out to be the starter relay. It is located on the firewall on the passenger side and you should be able to change it in less than five minutes.
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    You say you only hear it when you give it a little gas. Does it disappear when you let off the gas? If so, that is exactly how mine behaved. It was indeed the ring and pinion in the rear end. My mechanic insisted on rebuilding the differential himself since he has had bad luck with new rear ends from Ford. Apparently brand new ones would exhibit the same whine. He rebuilt it properly and I have had no issues since.
  • doc4baxdoc4bax Posts: 3
    Thanks Z. It will disapear when you let off the gas. I was wondering how a new truck could have such a problem with limited miles. The mechanic said it was indeed the differential and he ordered a new ring and pinion. I keep hearing it up front but maybe the sound just finds it way up there. He said one of the other mechanics said the same thing. He said something like on the older design the teeth on the ring and pinion are different so I guess he is putting the newer design in. My concern was with towing. I am towing a 6500 pound boat this weekend and don't need the differential cooked. He said it will be fine.