Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I came to this site after encountering a similar problem. I have gotten as far as your post suggested (wiper arm assembly - down to the removal of the snap ring) However, I can't seem to get the shaft to pass through the assembly/housing. It appears to be REALLY frozen. I can turn it with alot of force using a crescent wrench. I think if i could just get the shaft out to clean and lube it, it would work fine. I just can't get it out. I'm beginning to wonder if the shaft is actually removable at all. Is it pressed in like a ball joint with splines, or is it just frozen in there? Does this whole part have to be replaced? Do you know what the part name and/or number is? I've been looking for quite a while now and have had no luck. 2004 ford expedition.
  • Have 08 Expedition. When I fill gas tank, needle sometimes doesn't go all the way up, tends to get stuck bet 3/4 and full mark.

Within a few days, it resets and registers full.

Happened only 3 times or so in past year, not sure if I should just ignore it or take it in for warranty. Probably a stuck float?

On last long trip, 400 miles, got close to 22 mpg. At least that's what the computer said, I didn't actually figure it out the old fashioned way.
  • justkjustk Posts: 1
    Stopped for gas and went to turn it on and nothing, radio wouldnt turn on but lights,dash and everything else worked. battery, starter and the starter fuse were checked and are fine. Anyone else ever had this problem? The batter light came on the dash along with the low range also. Please let me know if any ideas guys. Thanks
  • Any luck with this one? Mine just blew!
  • pickles1pickles1 Posts: 4
    I am so glad I ran into your post. I have a 2001 Eddie Bauer Expedition 2x2 with the air ride suspension. This morning when I got up, the back end was so low, it was almost hitting the tires. When I turned it on the back end slowly pumped up.
    What do I do to fix it??? Did you ever get your problem fixed. Some one PLEASE ADVISE if we can do it ourselve. Husband laid off of work and no $$$ to fix an expensive problem.
  • Considering this person last logged in on the day they made that post and then never came back, a reply is unlikely. You could have a leaky airbag issue, a broken line that lets the system bleed off over night, or bad valves in the compressor that won't hold the pressure.
  • ford103ford103 Posts: 2
    not sure that this is the same what happen to me our battery would go dead all the time after a long time ..........Had to fix it it was seat covers on the drivers side
    the cover was hitting the button that moves your seat ...........
    HOPE THIS WILL HELP
  • ford103ford103 Posts: 2
    My alarm is not working and not sure where the fuse's are for the alarm??????????? :(
    1999 FORD EXPEDITION
  • jamie27jamie27 Posts: 1
    there is a clicking noise coming from the rear of the vehicle inside, someone told me that it is probably the actuator and i was wondering if anyone else has this problem and if so if this is the case. 2004 eddie bauer
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Posts: 300
    you aren't being very specific with your issue. when does it do it? If it is a blend door actuator it is related to the rear heating and cooling and will make the noise when you try to use the rear system. There are two actuators in the rear, so if it is the case you need to figure out if it is the one that changes air from roof to floor or the one that changes from hot to cold.
  • dan_zdan_z Posts: 8
    I have a 2006 Expedition Eddie Bauer. THe power drivers seat is equipped with the auto reverse function. So when the key is turned to the off position, the seat automatically moves all the way back.

The function is working fine. But I feel it is unnecessary and I am sure that it will eventually cause the motor to prematurely wear out.

I would like to disable this feature and cannot find the answer anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    Not sure in your 06 specifically, but in both my 03 and 04 it can be turned off through a series of set up menus int he message cenrter. I'd imagine it is the same or similar in yours.
    Thanks for the reply. Any idea where I can find those instructions? Do you have a list of instructions for your vehicles that I could try.

I have searched everywhere and can't seem to find any information.
    They are in the manual. My message centers have three buttons, one of them is "set up" and by hitting it you page through the selectable features. They are highlighted for what they are set to, and one of the other buttons in the message center changes the settings.
    I swear that I looked through the manual and could not find it. But I just downloaded the manual online and found that it indeed should be there by pressing the setup button.

I will try it when I get home tonight. Thanks for the help.
  • htkhtk Posts: 1
    own a 2002 Exp with 5.4 liter: when it got 68,000 it began to get horrible gas milage down from 16 to 6 mpg. Began to have to add a quart of oil every 500 miles and notice that it would occasionally blow some blue smoke when started. Car began to miss, so we took to dealership and they said #5 coil needed to be replaced. I was also told it needed complete tune up with new wires, plugs and coils. I had #5 coil and wires and plugs replaced but not all the coils.

When we picked it up it started missing the next day along with a little blue smoke when starting the next morning. Called dealer and service mgr told me to drive it for 300 miles and see if it improves. Went 300 miles with no improvement I checked oil and had to add 11/2 quarts. Took back to dealer and told them that i blieve we had a gasket or cylinder problem.
    They told me that was not the problem and would not check it under warranty because there was no proof. We did a check with them taping oil fill tube shut and told me to bring it in every 500 miles.
    Was told after 500 miles and adding another 1 1/2 quarts that Ford engineers says this is common...... I told them that it is not commom that the vehicle ran fine with 3,000 mile oil changes and no disappearing oil problems.....
    They told me that they could not help me........ Here we are at 107,000 miles with same blue smoke issue down to 8 mpg again and adding 6 to 7 quarts of oil every 3,000 miles and no sign of oil leak on outside of engine.

Help :sick:
  • jg88jg88 Posts: 59
    '04 Expy EB w/4WD. There is a low level hissing sound that seems to come from in front of the driver position that disappears when the brakes are applied. Take the foot off the brake, hissing returns. When I turn off the car, remove key, it remains hissing for a little while then fades to nothing. This just started within the last 1,000 miles, the odo has about 92k on it.

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments.
  • Aloha,

I am new here. When I step on the gass my truck hesitates then pickes up speed. Just recently my truck has no power and needs to be jummped. I took it in to a shop and they told me I needed to replace my catalytic converters ($2400 total), Fuel system cleaner and replace mass air flow sensor ($493 total). Before I dish out all this money I was wondering if anyone could let me knw if thats what it really is and if there was anything else i could do. :sick:
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Are you getting any trouble codes?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jg88jg88 Posts: 59
    Found out the hard way -- this sound was occuring because the power brake booster wenr bad. It was $900 parts & labor + tax to install a new one. Ouch.

BTW, this was not via the dealer, they wanted a couple hundred more. Used Ford parts, though. Didn't want to mess with thebraking system.
  • Has anyone been able to find a Chilton, Haynes, or any other DIY repair manual for the 2004 Ford Expedition? I can't seem to find one and it makes me think they aren't coming out with one.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,252
    I have access to the Auto Repair Reference Center through my public library. It's a bit hit or miss, but the coverage for the '04 Expedition looks pretty good. Even has wiring diagrams. It's a bit of a pain to look stuff up in the garage, but you can print stuff out beforehand.

Sometimes you can find factory shop manuals on eBay. And Helm has a shop manual for $180.

Online Repair Manuals

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• rail21rail21 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 ford Expedition Eddie Bauer. I opened The Sun roof Last night to the fully open mode. When I tried to close it nothing happened . Yet when you try the switch to the open position the sun roof moves back 2 inches and when you try the switch to the close position it will close those two inches yet will not move any further. Is there any way of manually closing this sun roof? Also If I have to remove the headliner( Nightmare Solution ) How do I remove Those darn Plastic Hanger Hooks?
  • tyshauntyshaun Posts: 13
    I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE WITH MY 03 EB AS WELL. IT WAS DOING THIS BEFORE AND AFTER I TOOK MINES TO THE CAR WASH SO I DON'T THINK ITS BECAUSE OF THAT, SO OTHER THEN THAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ALSO. I HOPE ITS NOT THE TRANSMISSION GOING BAD :confuse:
  • I thought it was from putting in cheap gas. It was after that the engine started bucking when driving.
    Got worse after a week and the whole front end was shaking when you accelerated.
    Took it to get codes checked and it said it was missing on cyl 4.
    We replaced all the plugs, boots and coils. Still acting up so we replaced the fuel injectors, fuel filter and one coil pack.
    It ran but sounded like it was missing still and would buck a little when driving. Took it to get codes checked again and the mass air flow sensor came up.
    We installed the new sensor but it was worse and would not stay on, Turn it on and it would idle low and choppy and die.
    Put old sensor back in and no difference.
    Disconnected the mass air flow senor wires and the truck ran better. It still was a choppy idle and sounded bad, but didn't die.

We are thinking maybe it is the air flow sensor's connector or cable.

Is there anything else it could be?
    We have not had our vehicle for 2 weeks now and keep having to try borrowing my in law's van or get rides as we only have one vehicle and I work overnight and my wife works days. I am really hoping to get it running again this weekend.
    Not sure exactly what I should try next.

Would appreciate any help and suggestions. :cry:
  • we have a 2008 expy and now all of a sudden the engine light is coming on. any ideas?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,252
    Most auto parts stores will pull the codes for free. Then you can report back and post the codes and get some suggestions for things to look at.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• dockydocky Posts: 11
    By the way, I replaced all the tires, cause it was driving me nuts, and it is not a problem anymore...now with 110k miles, never a problem again. Had a grinding sensation at higher speeds and when turning...had the drive shaft replaced, not a problem anymore.

My new problem is a rough engine feel at idle, the cab actually vibrates at stand-still, and a small amount of smoke in the front end (service engine soon light on). Any ideas?
  • how do u replace the heatercore in a 99 expedition ? i know u have to pull the dash out but how hard is it ?
  • ur service engine soon light means u have a misfire. if the light flashes u have a multipul misfire