Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cobcob Posts: 210
    I am wondering if anyone out there can enlighten me on the latest Ford recalls for the F-150 pickups and why the Expeditions are not included? The 2004 F-150s were recalled for faulty air bags but not the 2004 Expeditions. Both have identical steering wheels/interiors and I would assume use the same air bags. Now the gas tank straps on the 2004 F-150 are being recalled for excessive corrosion but not the 2004 Expedition. I looked under my 2004 Expy last night and having been originally titled in Ohio and now Michigan both tank straps are corroded but not part of the recall. i have a friend with a 2004 F-150 crewcab and the truck is the same as my 2004 Expedition except for the rear suspension. Are we Expedition owners losing due to lower sales volumes and lack of complaints to the NTSB?
  • i have a 2000 ford expedition, lately when driving it, it has started to cut out and die. By chance we found that by taking the gas cap off, it idles back up and runs fine. it is getting to be an issue, we ran diagnostics with no clear answer, replaced fuel pump, cleaned the valve lines coming out of the tank, peplaced some valve under the hood? (not sure why, but thats what the parts house suggested) We can not seem to figure it out! Another weird thing is that we drove it about 50 miles in the rain (cool outside) and it never even stuttered, but later that day when it got hot, it did the same thing again. It dies and wont start unless you open the cap. What can it be? :confuse:
  • My 2001 Expedition surges as soon as I start it. The ABS lights comes on, the speedomitor (sorry sp) and RPM move up and down, the radio cuts in and out, and the windows are difficult to roll up. This has been happening for the past few months and at one point it stalled and would not start. I heard a tcking sound at that point and this has not happened again. Please tell me what I can do!!!
  • tinamjtinamj Posts: 3
    Hello, We have a Ford Exp and for the past few months we have noticed a clicking noise when driving. The noise will get faster as we accelerate. The oil is fine and has even been changed again recently. Any clue what can be causing this?
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Have a mechanic check it out, could be a valve.

First thing to do is to find out whether it is inside the engine, or outside. Disconnect the serpentine belt and start the engine. If the ticking is still there, it's inside the engine. If the noise has stopped, then the problem is one of the externally mounted devices (e.g. alternator, AC compressor, etc).
    Thanks so much for answering, I took it to a auto place on post (we are in Germany right now) but they didn't know what it was and didn't feel comfortable looking into the engine so they told me to take it to a Ford Dealership. If it is inside the engine is it something serious that may cost a lot of money?
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    edited August 2011
    Has the potential to be expensive. Since no-one can hear your engine over the internet or do any of the diagnostic techniques that a mechanic can....it's hard to know. Could be something relatively easy to fix......or it could be a major problem that could turn catastrophic if not corrected.

As an example, if you have a piston rod bearning going bad, they'd have to open up the engine to fix it, which would be expensive. If on the other hand you drive it and the bearing totally fails and the rod punches thru the engine block, then it's catastrophic and you will need a new engine. If it is something external to the engine, would be cheaper.

Point is, nothing to fool around with, get a trusted/competent mechanic to figure out what the problem is.
    Thanks so much. I have an appointment with Ford Monday, so I hope it is something not to major.

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question :)
  • I have this problem with my expedition too. It is an 04. I had that popping noise that has now advanced to something like the sound of a machine gun. However, it started out just like the pop noise you described in this post. Did you ever find out what the problem is?
  • Easy $20 dollar fix. It's called the rear actuator. You can Google it. You'll find a lot of posts. It took me about two hours to get it replaced. But I took off panels that I shouldn't have. Let me know if u need more help.
  • There are two rear blend door actuators - one for floor to ceiling, one for temperature. You can determine which it is by changing the rear controls. When the noise stops, that's the one that is doing it. The floor to ceiling actuator takes about 10 minutes to change through the change tray on top of the right rear wheel well, the temperature control takes between an hour and two to do, depending on how you choose to get at it (remove trim or contort through the available openings).
  • I have the same problem with expedition 04 I have tried 3 aftermarket starters with no success .
  • Having an issue with my expedition when attempting to start the engine. when I first try to start the motor all dash lights go out starter doesn't even to attempt to try. turn the key back off and try to start again all gauges max out and the return to normal then i hear something like a relay resetting. has anyone had this problem and how did ya fix it. so far i've replaced battery, start relay and had the starter tested.
  • I'm having the same issue. 2001 ford exp. eb. Any luck getting your fixed?
    Thanks
  • Sounds like a computer
  • vicks03vicks03 Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    Hi I have a 2004 Expedition. I had left my windows down so I went out to let them and they would not go up, I started the truck to see if it was the battery, then I noticed my instrument panel was not working. I then I noticed the radio did not work either. That night I also noticed the automatic lights did not work. I have checked all the fuses and they are good.

These problems all started at the same time. Has anyone had this problem before?
    Items not working: Automatic Lights, Dash gauges, windows and radio.
  • tyshauntyshaun Posts: 13
    edited December 2011
    This post concerns my 2003 Eddie Bauer expedition, with 160, 000 miles. I purchased a new batterry and alternator on Aug/2011. Last month my truck wouldn't start, the batterry died, so I got a jump and was told it was the battery, I was under warranty so they replaced it with a new one, Few days later, the batterry dies again, I went to the same store (Advance Auto) but at another location and they replaced the battery. The next day the truck almost didnt start but started and I went to Advance Auto to get a test report on the battery, alternator and charger, the report came back everything was working fine. Now the next day it again started slow with the speedometer and other gages going haywire like it has done the other few times that i forgot to mention. I drove it, and it drove fine but i know by tommorow either its going to be a worst slow start or the battery will be drained again. I need to know what the hell is going on and what is draining my battery. I dont leave any lights on in the truck and this will be the fourth battery I will need to replace. I dont think its the battery but something internal. Before I bring it to a shop where I know they might not tell me or fix the right problem without me shelling out hundreds of dollars, I hope someone with expertise on this matter can shed some light". Please get back to me ASAP!!!!!
  • How is your rear wiper working? The rear wiper motor is a common phantom battery drain. Even if it is working properly it could still be the problem. You could try pulling the fuse and see if the problem goes away.
  • tyriptyrip Posts: 13
    my anti freeze was leaking so i had the intake manifold gasket repaired,now a week later im still losing anti freeze,why is this happening on my 1997 ford expedition 4.6 liter engine 4x4
  • Go buy a air filter it will cost you $16.00 or so, go buy an IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor or Air Charge sensor (about $7.00 from Rock Auto plus shipping or Pepboys will have it for $16.00 and buy a performance chip for $25.00 on eBay. It will take you about 10 minutes to install everything.

For $50.00 or so you SUV will run fantastic.
    It took me a while to figure it out but my 2001 Expedition runs better than off the show room.....its like driving a car. No jerking transition form gear to gear and more power
  • Well I have A ford Expedition and three parts of the truck dont work right and I hecked the psi (130) and the fire plug (0k). I have problems with the engine and I need to know how to fix it.
  • I recently purchased a 2003 expedition with 230K miles at auction and the vehicle seems to be in great condition, i.e. body is great, runs great, etc. I had to replace the alternator and the hood latch, but other than that so far it seems fine and I'd like to keep it that way.

When I had the alternator replaced at the dealership they said that it was "due for maintenance" (no kidding) and they recommended a laundry list of things that came to about $700. (stupidly I didn't write down the list) I have no issue spending money on the vehicle if it is needed, but I don't want to spend money just because the dealership says I should.

Is there a recommended list of maintenance items that anyone can recommend for this vehicle given its high mileage? I should add that this was a state owned vehicle, so I am assuming it had regular maintenance done but I have no documentation to back that up. Also, I did take it to have an oil change, fluids check, etc done the first day I bought it. Any advice appreciated.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,129
    edited February 2012
    The Edmunds Car Maintenance Guide will tell you what should be done when. It only goes up to 150,000 miles though, so you'll have to go back in time, say to 130k or 30k, and start over.

Try the link in How To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online if you need a manual.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Hey did you ever figure out what the problem was? I m having the same exact problem with my auto lights windows and gauges. plz help
  • tyshauntyshaun Posts: 13
    It was the back windshield wiper draining the battery, it was to expensive to replace so I had the mechanic disconnect it, no battery draining after that.
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Posts: 293
    you're welcome
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,830
    If you live in Southern California, have Ford Sync or Cadillac CUE, and can take a tv crew for a short ride Sunday afternoon or Monday morning, please email PR@edmunds.com by Saturday, June 23, 2012.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• 2000exped12000exped1 Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    I have a 2000 Expedition 5.4L and recently had my intake manifold replaced due to stop a coolant link. They also replaced the ignition coils. Driving off all seemed fine but I noticed a slight vibration in the gas paddle, brake paddle was fine. After two days I now hear slight chatter from the engine. Keep in mind I never had these issues before and the vehicle never ran hot. Any ideal what the issue could be? I'd like to have some idea before I return it.

Thanks in advance.
  • I am going to replace a rear wheel bearing assembly tomorrow on 2003 Expedition. I need to know what size is the large nut holding the assembly to the drive axle? I want to be sure I buy the right socket. Also, if you have any other warnings or tips on that job great.

Thanks.

PS why are the wheels so hard to get off of this truck sometimes?
  • bsattbsatt Posts: 1
    2000 Exp EB, ~150k, everything was running well then suddenly I made a ht turn & i lost power & wheels wouldmct turn or engage! No indicator lights, starts fine, nothing snapped, fell off oreemed tobrral. I step on the gas and transmission won't send power to the wheels. Tried restarting, same prob. Starts up fine, i put in drive amd just cam't go :( Help! Please...