Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• hay expower and bodyman the normal cause of smoking at start up after sitting over night is valve guide seals leaking it only takes a drop of oil the look like a big cloud of smoke in most cases it really does not hurt anything but with low miles on I think I would like to get it fixed if the dealer says it is normal he is full of it tell him that you are going to call the EPA for it is an emissions problem......
  • I have a 99 Expedition. I have had the driveline rebalanced, and a new timing chain put in. Ford also put two new sets of tires on for nothing. I currently have 55,000 and the last set was around 44,000. I still have a little vibration which I think is from the tires but am having an issue with the dealership rebalancing. There is a ford bulletin on this issue. They say it starts at 70 mph. You should ask the dealer to pull the bulletin. They also, at about 40,000 had to put in a new timing chain which also helped.
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,550
    Continental Recall

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• 99900ss99900ss Posts: 4
    I'm about to purchase a 99' Eddie Bauer and I absolutely love the vehicle, but I can't believe how bad the response is from steering input to this beast actually moving where it's directed... especially on the highway or at highway speeds. I own a truck, so I understand that it's not designed to handle like a sports car. I'm beginning to think that the tires are garbage. It feels like the sidewalls flex dramatically before the truck starts to turn.
    Has anyone else had this type of problem?
    Are there specific tires that work best on this truck?
    Has anyone made suspension/tire changes that have improved the handling?
  • I did change my tires and the ride was improved. I had General AW when i first purchased my 1997. They were cheap and werent very good. On the highway they were loud and didnt last a very long time. I changed them for a set of Yokohama Geolander AT+2 the week they came out. Great tires. I have had them for a while now and like them a lot. My next set will probably be a set of yokohamas as well. I think they go for $85 from tirerack.com .
  • 99900ss99900ss Posts: 4
    I'm about to purchase a 99' Eddie Bauer and I absolutely love the vehicle, but I can't believe how bad the response is from steering input to this beast actually moving where it's directed... especially on the highway or at highway speeds. I own a truck, so I understand that it's not designed to handle like a sports car. I'm beginning to think that the tires are garbage. It feels like the sidewalls flex dramatically before the truck starts to turn.
    Has anyone else had this type of problem?
    Are there specific tires that work best on this truck?
    Has anyone made suspension/tire changes that have improved the handling?
  • i knew there was a reason that i didnt want A4WD....it took about 30k miles to find out why. My 2nd Exihibition, a 2001 w/5.4L, 4wd began grumbling, grinding, and generally sounding like it was gonna come apart in some portion of the driveline while starting off and turning, either left or right......the first dealer replaced transfer case sensors, changed the fluid, and told me to drive it for 2k miles and hopefully the noise should go away......after another 1k miles of grinding i went back and the service guy said his hands were tied until i drove the required milage.....went to dealer # 2 and he agreed that the transfer case was probably shot and put a new one in....well the noise persisted and i went back...they decided to replace the week old transfer case and do some rear end work....hope this is the fix-wont know for sure till i take the ear plugs out-kinda reluctant to do that for fear of what i'll hear.....probably should have hung on to the '98 which had a 2wd switch position......any similar instances out there and attempted fixes???
  • I, too, have a problem with the rear wiper. Only got the Expedition three weeks ago, so I'm having service look at it when I go for oil change.

MY question is pretty stupid, but curiosity is getting to me. The 290-watt Mach stereo is listed as coming with 7 speakers. WHERE are they?? I see one on each door (total of four) then an addition on the passenger side in the rear-near the third-row seat. Still can't find the other two!

Can anyone point them out?
  • Let us know what service says about your wiper. Mine still refuses to remain operational. If I want to use it I can go out and pull the shaft down and to the left. It then works for a few minutes. The weather is cooling off, so I might have to pull the plastic off and realign/repair/replace what ever is wrong.

I not sure where Ford stuck the speakers. My first guess would be on the dash or A pillars. If not there, I wonder if they stuck 2 speakers under a couple of those covers. Perhaps a tweeter and mid range under 2 covers. A mid range under 2 more, and the woofer in the back.
  • 2 speakers behind the front covers, 1 in the back doors, and the sub make up the 7.
  • Sorry to sound so stupid... Is Msg #151 saying that there are 2 speakers under ONE cover in each front door (passenger and driver)? And one speaker behind each speaker grill on the rear seat doors... and then the sub in the far back totals 7. Is that right?

Someone offline told me that he had speakers -- little tweeters -- in the little corner where the front door windows meet the dashboard. I don't have those on this 2002 E.B. Expedition. I have just pieces of plastic. I have a total of four grills that say MACH on them and then the sub on the on the passenger side at the 3rd row seat.
  • eran1eran1 Posts: 17
    Have a 5.4L 1998 XLT 2wd...we've now replaced 4 cylinder/ignition coils after only 135k miles. unfortunately, the expy replaced our 1992 CHEVROLET custom van...152k miles only 'major' service was replace starter. This blasted expy has given nothing but drivability prob. starting at 14k coming back at 92k and it's here to stay....hang on Mr. CHEVROLET SUBURBAN...here i come since ford is tacky and is too pround to offer 0% on it's '03 models. Besides what kind of company redesigns a vehicle but does not offer NEW ENGINE choices?????
  • Message #151 is correct. I also own an '02 EB and I personally replaced one of my front door speakers. It houses a tweeter alongside a regular speaker in the same oval assembly. You must remove the door panel to access the speaker. Do not pry the grille off or you will break it. BTW, my speaker was making a popping sound, and since I work for a dealership, I replaced it myself under warranty.
  • I have a 2000 Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition with the General Grabber P275/60R17 tires. It has the 3.55 Ratio Limited Slip Axle.

The General Tires are being recalled and I would like to replace them with the Michelin P265/70R17.

Does anyone know if this can be done with the current stock wheels that came with the 2000 Ford Expedition?

Curious also if anyone has any other comments regarding these issues.

Thanks,
  • eran1 writes "hang on Mr. CHEVROLET SUBURBAN...here i come since ford is tacky and is too pround to offer 0% on it's '03 models. Besides what kind of company redesigns a vehicle but does not offer NEW ENGINE choices????? "

Check your Tahoe/Suburban boards and you'll find about 400 registered complaints about piston slap in the GM modular engines. That's their NEW ENGINE choice.
  • Has anyone had any issues with their 03? I have had the AC switch for the AUX AC go out in less than 30 days. I am also experiencing so noise from the front wheel well when turning.

Just an FYI. Otherwise I am enjoying my SUV.

Herb
  • I had a bad rear seal in my 03 EB. Was in the shop for 3 days. Everything is ok now. BTW, I had a 02 XLT as a loaner. What a difference in the ride between the 02 and 03. The 03 is much smoother, quieter, and more refined. Great SUV. Hopefully no more problems.
  • There really is truth to the "first year" issues legend. It's great to be on the cutting edge of new vehicle technology....but we pay a price.
  • Has anybody had any problems with their 2000 Eddie Bauer Ford Expedition engine cutting out and losing power brakes and power steering?
  • I bought the new Expedition 15 days ago and have
    had it in three times for the driver's seat motor
    breaking. Seems the seat has the new heating/AC
    that I wanted, but it is a one piece seat and all.
    The dealer has taken a seat out of another Exp. and put in mine and that broke too. It won't adjust up or down and makes a terrible sound. They
    ordered a new seat, said it was here let's install it. Seems like they can't order the correct seat, it was for some other model! I called Ford and they said I was the only one with this problem. I think two seats from two Expeditions that both broke within days shows a problem. Dealer says I have to wait for a new one to come in. I own a 97 EB Exp. with 99,000 mi. It has never had any problems and it was one of the first made. I am so upset with the Exp, Ford and the dealer, I wish now I would have waited to see
    how the "new" ones were doing. Anyone else have any problems with a 2003? Help please.
  • bodymanbodyman Posts: 23
    The fact is, you may have to wait for another seat frame to come in. The lower frame does come with all of the mechanical components attached, and it is not an item that dealers stock. However, they (Ford) are liable for replacement at no cost to you, and under the cicumstances, I would demand a comparable loaner. From what I have learned from others, it is a typical response from Customer Service to deny there are any similar problems reported by others. This (psycologically) singles you out, and makes you feel alone in your problems. Don't fall for it. It is THEIR problem, and THEY have to resolve it. Remember, this is the Co. that denied Pinto's would explode!
    Keep track of the total time you are without your vehicle, and ANY time it goes in to have a problem checked, don't leave until you see a ticket/work order made out on it. Mine was in a couple of times to be checked out, and no ticket was made. This means no documentation. I have since learned my lesson. Good luck, and don't give up.
  • I have owned my '00 Exp Eddie Bauer 2wd for 2 yrs. Almost at 30K miles; I've noticed at slow speeds,what seems to be a "whine" until the speed picks up. Dlrshp says they do not hear it and return vehicle to me each time. I also experience popping noises in front end when making turns. Has anyone else experienced this or had complaints that lead to a fix by the dealership?
  • Hi. I had the same problem with mine. I had the dealer check it out and they found that these bolts called crown bolts were lose. they tightened them up and all is well. Have Them check it out. Good luck J.
  • For all those who have mentioned a vibration problem that appears to be wheel-related, here's a thought - I have a 98 4X4 Eddie Bauer and experienced a vibration from the front end recently that was a bit puzzling at first. Inspected for imbeded rocks, tire balancing, weak shocks, and bad front end suspension members without success. Then a garage mechanic noticed that one of the Goodyear tires was "feathered", an irregular surface usually caused by incorrect toe-in (alignment). The condition takes time to develop, but 10,000 miles can do it. I suspect it was caused by either hitting a curb or an incorrect alignment done by a local shop. The tire may also have had an internal flaw, but replacement cured the problem.
  • Any suggestions on handling the rust under the doors issue?

I just bought a 99 and found the same problem indicated in msg 30. My 93 Montero has less rust than this 99 Ford.

Of course I bought it anyway because asside from the rust the car is perfect.
  • expeexpe Posts: 1
    The vibration w/my 2001 Expedition is different from that discussed by everyone else on this page. Only have 16,500 miles. Vibration happens during 50-65mph but lasts only approx 1 second. Sounds and feels almost like driving over brick pavers. For example, target speed is 65mph. Continues to drive and shift normally until reach target speed and does final shift. Short vibration occurs after this final shift.
  • I had a similar vibration in my '96 Mercury Grand Marquis. It was like driving over a washboard road. The solution was to have the transmission fluid flushed and refilled. That ended the vibration problem.
  • The vibrations you seem to be talking about are similar to what I had in my 92 Town Car. Get your transmission fluid replaced soon. I went a while with those vibrations (happening occasionally) and then the transmission just crapped out. Cost over at thousand to fix. Dealer asked if I'd been experiencing the vibrations--where it sounds like I'm riding over a rumble strip. He said that I should've changed the transmission fluid once I heard the vibrations.
  • We bought a used 99 EB 4wd expedition with 47000 miles on it. No problems until 48000 miles when two things happened- When I shift into R or Drive there is a click in the dash & the radio goes out (lights&all) als the rear wipers go out. Shift to N or Park & back on- into gear & back off. None of the TSBs seem to fit, anyone with suggestions?
    Also, I hear what sounds like something winding down in the engine when slowing to a stop- like a soft jet engine powering down. If that the fuel pump? or is there something else running under the hood?
    Finally, I bought a 4yr/100,000 total vehicle mile warranty from autoexam (one choice)... we'll see just how good it is...
  • I bought a 99 Expedition brand new and it now has only 32,000 miles but the right hand head gasket has needed to be replaced twice so far. Once at 12,000 miles and then again at 30,000 miles 2 months ago.
    Now the transmission has gone out, won't back up and trans fluid smells real burnt.

All in only 32,000 miles. The dealership won't even talk about causes.

Anyone know of similar problems or what I can do?

Ford's customer "hot-line" is a complete joke, absolutely useless. They won't even talk about on=going problems or root cause's of such.

Any suggestions short of setting fire to the vehicle would be appreciated.

mgheron