Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• alwaysfordsalwaysfords Posts: 210
    What business is it of yours who drives how far? Did we miss some sort of ceremony where you were appointed to judge who could do what with their vehicles?
  • pearsonrjpearsonrj Posts: 51
    What business is it of yours that it upsets me when people consume unnecessarily large amounts of gas in a time of national concern over the impact of US foreign policy (i.e. support for countries from which we import oil) on terrorism? Besides, I did qualify my statement - I don't know what waarce does with his Expy beyond what he alluded to in his post.
    BTW - did we miss some sort of ceremony where you were appointed to judge who could engage in free speech and who couldn't? Not much point in having a public forum in that case...
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Why don't we take this over to "I don't like SUVs..." or "Social issues..." where we do discuss these issues. Here we discuss Ford Expedition Problems.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • pearsonrjpearsonrj Posts: 51
    Fair enough Tidester. Although fuel consumption is a 'problem' with the Expedition (actually to my mind, its probably the only problem - otherwise a very good vehicle in its class), and has been commented on in just about every review of the 2002 Expedition ;).

Don't get me wrong all you pro-SUVers - I'm actually thinking of getting an Expy myself - for towing a travel trailer. I just wouldn't buy one to commute in...
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Of course I understand fuel consumption is a concern in the Expedition and, in the context of performance etc., it is a valid topic here. The discussion had digressed into the realm of environmentalism and that is the discussion best conducted elsewhere.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • Sorry bro but this is not the place to start this discussion. It always starts with one post then the whole nation joins in on the hate of SUVs. Everyone has the right to use their vehicles however they want and no one can say they cant. If our nation wants to control the fuel economy then it should proceed to talk with the dealers. If vehicles like the Expedition are offered then people will buy them.

I bought my Expy so I can travel with my two dogs and tow when needed. I hate when people tell me that Iam spoiling the environment when they have no suggestions. Sometimes people say get a small vehicle but there is no car that can tow as much as an Expy or pack 6 people and 2 large labs. I always hear these get an electric vehicle ideas from people as a way to consume fuel use. They say that it is much cheaper to own one and they get 40mpg. But what they dont say is that after 3 years this battery needs to replaced with a new $3000 one that is not under warranty. If they want us to buy vehicles like this then they should make something that is cheaper and more reliable. Iam at 102k miles right now without a single problem. I with you the best of luck with finding the perfect Expedition for you. Sorry about the long post.

Gasguzzler007
    Still resisting the urge to say something........
  • co_daveco_dave Posts: 16
    I was really hoping to get some suggestions. I've been waiting and no replies. Then I realized I probably didn't give enough information.

I'm pretty sure the wiper was still working when we packed up the kids, gear, bikes and went biking in Idaho and rafting in Montana. I think it was working when the family went camping in Colorado. Luckily we had room for all the gear on those trips.

When the grandparents were in town the extra seat was handy for going on a hiking trip. I don't recall using the wiper on that trip. A few weeks later when the neighbor had to borrow the Expedition to haul a bunch of 9 year old girls to a birthday party he might have used the wiper, I'll ask if he did and if it was working.

Now there was the trip to the nursery a few weeks ago where I was loading shrubs and flowers in the back, along with supplies like stakes and mulch. Or the trip to Home Depot to pick up some lumber and a 30" whole house fan. I guess with the tailgate opening and closing the motor could have been damaged.

Any trips on the backroads could have bumped the motor too much. But with the snow just melting in the mountains we haven't done that too much so far this year. I haven't heard about any problems with snow, but I suppose perhaps during some of our snow storms maybe the wiper froze in place when the wiper was turned on and damaged the motor. I'm pretty sure it has been working since the last bit of freezing weather though.

I hope this extra information helps.
    Did you get a chance to check the fuse? The other spots that occur to me that could cause you trouble are where the wiring bundle leaves the rear of the body and goes into the lift gate, or in the steering column where the wires from the stalk go down towards the firewall. Do you use tilt a lot? I don't think your issue is from rattling the motor or binding it up on ice.
    I think it's correct to say that we all have our reasons we bought our Expeditions. If we care to discuss them we will on other Expedition/SUV boards. If we have problems with them, we can discuss them here.

My rear wiper just stopped working. I'll start by looking at the fuse and the power to the motor unless others have had a similar problem.
  • compman5compman5 Posts: 2
    I, too, have had problems with my rear wiper, but so far have managed to get it working each time it stops. I was looking at the wiper and noticed that it was slightly off-centered from the mounting hole. I simply moved it back over to where it was centered and it began working again. Maybe your wiper has the same issue. Hope this tidbit helps fix your problem.
  • macman246macman246 Posts: 118
    My '99 Expy had to have the rear wiper motor replaced, under the 3 yr warranty. From what I read the grease inside the motor gets hard and freezes it. This probably happens if you don't use the rear wiper often.

The same thing happened to my '93 Explorer. Is this just a Ford SUV thing?
    Well, it's not electrical, at least not as far as the rear hatch. You can hear a faint intermittent click with the wiper turned on. Sounds like a relay. I don't think I would say a motor sound because it is just a click and not like the motor running, unless it instantly stops if the blade doesn't move. Also, I pulled off the external boot and the wiper is a little off centered, but not close to touching the metal. Compman5, was that the same as yours? If so then I will try to adjust it. The next step appears to be to remove the interior panel to gain access to the motor and any relays. I may want to do this even if Compman5's fix works to tighten any mounting adjustments that may be loosening.
    I can't say that I use the wiper lots, but it doesn't go unused. We'll see if that is the case once the panel is off. Always, you asked about using tilt. I'm guessing that you were considering the connections in the column, but just in case: no rarely ever change the tilt on the column.
  • That happen to me I just slam the trunk close and it was fixed LOL
    It sounds like there my be some connect or alignment problems with the wiper from the sound of some of the solutions. I am out of town so I can't give it a good slam, but I bet I do while I'm still at the airport after my return. Likewise with the tugging towards the center of the hole. Even if it works, I will probably try removing the panel to make sure it won't be reoccurring (this might wait until a nice cool day to is just right for car work).
    Well, I got off the plane and went to the Expedition put my luggage in, turned on the wiper and did the 'grand slam'. No luck. I then grabbed the base of the wiper where it leave the door and pulled to the down and to the left. That did the trick. Now that I have it working I can wait to see if it reoccurs and if so, on a nice cool day, I will remove the interior panel and see what the problem is.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • northhounorthhou Posts: 6
    I have a 99 Expy with a rear wiper problem and by accident came up with the solution. It will stop working, and I can hear a light click from the wiper motor when it should be wiping. I raised the wiper gently off the rest and moved it down a little (towards the ground)(it only moves 2 inches or so). Voila, it started working. It isn't a permanent fix as after awhile it won't work again. The dealer says I need a new wiper motor but as long as this works I'll keep doing it.
    Well, we had a nice thunderstorm, which we needed, but my rear wiper thought it would sit that one out. My fix didn't last long. I got out and tried the 'move down' maneuver and a little down and left traction and it started up again. We'll have to see how long this little fixes keep working. Northhou, when the dealer said you needed a new motor, did he say what was wrong with the old one?
  • eran1eran1 Posts: 17
    Had this same dang problem. First, they replaced the motor (or so they said). It quit again, and some enlightened service fellow said it was the stalk (you know with turn signals, high beams, etc.). That entire stalk needs replacing. Should cost no more than $125 if you're out of warranty. or simply accuse them of misdiagnosing the problem in the first place, and demand that they fix it at no charge if you are out of the warranty period.