Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bronsonbbronsonb Posts: 170
    Well, I've had my 2004 Expedition for a few months, and it was time for my first oil change. I prefer to do these myself, but I've never done one on an Expedition.

Anyway, at first I was a bit daunted because there didn't seem to be any easy access to the oil filter. It was impossible to get to from the top of the engine. Below the engine, it seemed like I needed to contort myself to get to it.

Then when I crawled out from under the truck, I noticed that Ford had designed it so that you could access the oil filter from just under the front of the truck. If you go under the front of the bumper and look up on the driver's side of the truck, you'll see the oil filter. The designers left a small opening there and even put a shelf of sorts underneath it.

When I took the oil filter off, the shelf caught oil dripping from the filter bolt, and I was easily able to clean it up.

Detroit got something right, and I just wanted to say I was quite impressed with how easy it was.

The whole oil change and fluid top off took me about 30 minutes. It usually takes me 45 minutes on my wife's Passat (15 minutes to remove and re-attach that plastic lower engine area shield).

Just wanted to share!
  • I have a 98 Exp pushing 130K miles and never changed my own oil until I bought this vehicle. It sits up high enough to crawl under comfortably and the oil filter is in the exact same place as you have discribed only without a shelf.
  • Yes, it is the factory remote.
  • i used the serach here for answers & didn't quite see what i'm looking for, so sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.

1). is the an online repair manuel available for a 2003 expedition?

2). mine no longer will raise & lower the passenger front window. other than the obvious 3 screws removed, what's the trick to getting the interior panel off without damage?

please reply here, or better yet:

scott@mainstreetproduce.com

thanks in advance.

scott
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
    1). is the an online repair manuel available for a 2003 expedition?

Yes, but....

There's something called the Auto Repair Reference Center. It's an online database with all kinds of repair info. You have to have a login to access it though. Around here several libraries subscribe to it and you either go to library or (hopefully) can get on from home with your library card number or similar password. If you have that, it's free.

I found my local ones by net searching "Auto Repair Reference Center Idaho."

There's also alldata.com and chiltondiy.com (and more) that have diy info that you can buy.

I don't recall anything online from Ford off-hand - anyone?
  • thanks for the reply & info.

forgive me, but i'm not familar with your refernce to "libraries", as in "Around here several libraries subscribe to it ".

if one would explain, i do appreciate it.

please & thank you.

scott
    Often your ordinary public library will subscribe to the databases. Both the city and county public library here subscribe to the Auto Repair Reference Center one, as well as the library at Boise State. I know that the Seattle Public Library offers online access to Alldata's manuals free for their patrons.

I guess you'll have to search the net or call your local library to learn if anything is offered free in your area.

Oh yeah, AutoZone also offers some repair instructions free. (link).
  • My 2003 expedition power adjustable foot pedals quit working. My driver side power seat still moves so I figure the fuse is good. Is there a relay or actuator that I should check and if so where would they be? Or any other suggestions
  • ahightowerahightower DFWPosts: 431
    Are y'all still partying up in Boise?
    You bet - 20,000+ people showed up a week ago today for a Bronco parade in sub-freezing temps (they waited a while since all the BSU students just came back to class a couple of weeks ago after the Fiesta... er, Christmas break).
  • My driver's side heated seat is not working on my 01 EB Expy. The light comes on but no heat. Checked all fuses and wiring and found nothing. Any Ideas?? Thanks,
  • Hello,
    I just signed up and seen this. I guess by the date you posted this you by now have the problem fixed if not please let me know.

David
  • I HAVE A 2006 EXPY AND THE A/C VENTS UP FRONT HAVE ALL BROKEN (THE LEVERS THAT ACTUALLY DEFLECT THE AIR) IT IS OUT OF WARRANTY. IT HAS THE CIRCULAR SHAPED VENTS DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET SOME REPLACEMENT VENTS AND HOW TO INSTALL THEM ??
  • Is there a way to verify this? I have the same issue. When I turn the key I get nothing and the radio goes dead. It does eventually come back though. I do not hear anything until several seconds later it sounds as if something disengages. I ask this because I have to go to a dealer to get this part.
  • OK. I was able to determine that the Relay was bad via an ohm meter. The bottom stud should be hot with greater than 10V. Then when the ignitiion is in the start position the top stud should be hot with > 10 volts. Mine wasn't. Replaced it $9.50 @ the local auto parts store.
    Thanks.
  • ayakataayakata Posts: 14
    Thank God I came across your post. My 99 expy was recently lifted and towed to the mechanic for some work. I got the car back on saturday, yesterday and I noticed it was very low at the back. The mechanic did mentioned that this was due to the air suspension, the car ride was so bumpy and shaking that I took the truck back today. I guess there is nothing the mechanic can do to it and I do no hope they will not try to dupe me by telling stories. I turned the switch, I mean the air suspension switch off and on couple of time after but still no changes. Just for future reference, so it is advisable to switch the air suspension off when the truck is getting ready to be lifted right?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
  • macman246macman246 Posts: 118
    It's always advisable to switch off the rear air suspension when put on a lift. This keeps it from constantly running.

My '99's back end was bouncing around after a coupler failed under the hood. I heard a pfffhht sound like an air brake on a truck, then the back end wouldn't raise up anymore even though the compressor kept trying. I was parked and idling on a steep hill when it failed.

If you don't hear the compressor trying to pump up the air bags, it's probably a fuse.

Good luck.
  • I went to PepBoys and purchased a CD Manual for

Ford
    Trucks, SUVs & Vans. there are charts, diagrams and pictures showing parts and wiring etc.

Hope this helps.
  • mrtedmrted Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Expedition EB 4x4, 5.4 engine and I need to replace the lower ball joints and I need to know if I need a special tool or do I beat them out with a brass rod and hammer.
  • 85stang85stang Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Eddie Bauer Exp with 85K on it. At start up and occasionally during trips the air suspension compressor will be very loud (compared to how it used to be). Has anyone else had outcomes other than expensive replacements, and if not what all had to be replaced? Does this model have four way load leveling available? At one point it seemed to be riding low on one side, but the dealer said it only had front/rear leveling. Just curious. Thanks for any replies.