Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rbarbotrbarbot Posts: 19
    I have seen others post this problem here before but no solution that I can see.

My 2000 Expy CD-Changer stopped working months ago and displayed "NO CDDJ" on the radio display when I push the CD button. The changer had no power and wouldn't eject the magazine.

I wrongfully made the assumption that the changer was dead and sent it in for repair. Just got it back and it tests OK. Put it back in and the same error is displayed. All the audio fuses on the fuse block and under-hood fuse block check OK.

What else can it be? Is there another fuse to the changer unit in the console or under the dash somewhere? Could the head unit be damaged? Short of solving this myself, will the dealer even be able to diagnose radio problems very well with a scope or other tools?

Thanks in advance.
  • bronsonbbronsonb Posts: 170
    My 2004 EB Expedition was in need of a battery. Twice this year I had to jump start it after letting accessories run without the engine running, so I opted to get a new battery.

However, the positive cable was so corroded that I couldn't remove it. I looked at buying a new positive cable. I didn't check Ford, but AutoZone had one for $80 (positive and negative together).

After fretting about the delay to get the cable (at least 3 days), I opted to try something else. I found a Lynx battery post adapter that clamps to the post and provides a bolt to hook cables to.

The Expy battery has three items that bolt to the positive post. The bottom "cable" actually has the post welded to it that the two other cables attach to. That's also the cable that was so corroded I could not remove it.

Anyway, I bought the Lynx post adapter and also bought a new DL-65 battery from AutoZone (CR best buy). I removed the negative cable and then cut the corroded bolt off on the positive side. I then proceeded to cut the corroded clamp part off of the positive cable. I was left with enough surface area and that little post. I cut off the post, drilled a hole in the flat part, mounted it on that post and then attached the other two cables above it.

All worked well - no problem with starting or charging system. Total investment was $5.00 for the post adapter and $70 for the new battery. Much better than waiting 3 days for the new cable. I don't know if this is a kosher way of dealing with the problem, but it was sure a convenient and cost-effective way.
  • naviaggienaviaggie Posts: 1
    I was in a parking lot the other day, and I put the vehilce in to drive to move out of the spot. I went to pick up my friend, and I tried to put it in park but the shift lever would not come out of drive. It was still in gear so I drove it home and the transmission shifted gears fine. At home I could not put it in park so I turned it off and I could not get the key out.
  • suzy3suzy3 Posts: 2
    Took my expedition in to sell to an auto broker. He unscrewed the oil cap and compression went down along with idle. He said, this is a sign of bad rings. Is this true? If so, how much to fix? Need to sell for $$ looking to find out how to get it fixed and sold. Thanks!
  • jg88jg88 Posts: 59
    Just experienced our 1st repair on our 04 4x4 expy eb -- had to replace the battery and cables -- battery was DOA and cables were toatally corroded. It's just shy of 50k miles and about 38 months old. Otherwise, we've had no problems at all. Have kept up with the truck every 5k miles for scheduled services and have gone by the book.

BTW, we will get 55k miles on the oem conti tires. Had to replace 1 tire do to a sidewall flat and used the spare tire across from the new tire putting the older tire on the spare rim.
  • shand32783shand32783 Posts: 57
    So after almost 6 years I finally hit 30,000 (actually 31,000) after a long road trip on my Expy. What services beyond the normal oil change stuff should I be looking at?

Thanks for your time.
    Shane
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You may want to check this out: Maintenance Schedule

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • cadetcadet Posts: 1
    Hi,

I own a 97 Eddie Baur Expedition too and with the same noise problem when the compressor kicks in. Right now my rear wheels are low and wont get up. Your advice please.

Thanks,

Cadet.">
  • I have a 2007 Expedition EL. Occasionally the A/C just shuts off. It usually comes back on in a second or two, but once it didn't come back on at all. The only way to get it to come back on was to stop the car, turn the engine off, and resart. Then I could turn the A/C back on. This occured after going over a speed hump at 20 MPh. But sometimes in will just shut off. Sometimes I'm on the freeway, sometimes at a stop light. Like I said it will usually come back on by itself. This has been occuring since the car had just a few hundred miles on it.
    Plus the A/C seems to take a long time to get cold. Haven't brought it in yet, but just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem, or might know what is causing it. Of course when I go in, the dealership will probably give me the old "well we can't replicate the problem" routine, so I know I'm going to be frustrated as usual. Please help !!
  • I've been recently experiencing the same problem with my 98 EB, I had my brake pads replaced and rotors turned & i was still having the brakes pulsate on me, but not all the time, i had some motor medics take it for a drive, but of course the brakes didnt pulsate, then i noticed the ABS light on, so i talked to a few people and they said it might be the sensors. Well I happened to take my truck to the drive thru car wash with the undercarriage cleaner and my abs light went off, and my brakes didnt pulsate until the front rims got dirty again, so i took it for another undercarriage clean and it stopped again. I dont know what the deal is, but I just decided it was time to get a new car before mine falls apart. I love my Expedition to death though...
  • How do you remove the stock radio; 2005 Expedition, Eddie Bauer? Does the entire dash have to be removed first? If so, how does that come off?
  • Call your local Ford dealer service dept.; ask them who
    does their radio/cd work. Most dealers have an authorized
    out of store shop who only does this for Ford. If it is
    under warranty they can do it free, if not under warranty, they might tell you how to get it done. If you are replacing it with a non-dealer unit, get the unit from Best Buy, or a local auto sound system dealer and they will take out
    and replace. Good luck, good listening.
  • How do I remove the rotors (front and rear)on my 2004 2-WD Expedition? It looks like they should just pull off like my old (don't laugh) '97 Tahoe once the calipers are freed up; but they're tightly on there and I don't want to start pounding, even gently, if there is a puller involved. Just took ownership and haven't yet worked on an Expedition. Help? Quick answer fine.
    Thanks in advance,
    Bob
  • :lemon: My traction control comes on for a few seconds on my brand new 07 and the dealership treats me the sameway. My sunroof broke this week and the wind piece him me in the head while I was driving. I have had it with Ford and have decided to call my lawyer and file a lemon law clame. It's already took me 1 full page to document the times I've took it to the shop in the short 6 months i've had it. :lemon: :lemon:

HAS anyone had a problem with brakes / traction control? The dealership plugs mine into the computer but there are no codes. I think its because the computer thinks its doing what is right although it doesn't. They can't duplicate the problem and it does it very random too. They won't even open the hood or do anything but drive it and return it with an empty tank of gas ( and I usually have a full tank when the problem happens and have to take it in). :lemon:
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    If you have another dealer located near enough by, you might want to try them.

Mark
  • I have took it to 2 dealerships. :lemon:
  • I have a 2007 Ford Exp LTD. The climate control problem was first diagnosed as due to a low charged AC system. They filled it up and the problem resurfaced about a week later. Ford dealer then took the vehicle for two weeks to determine what was going on and eventually replaced the head unit. Unfortunately for me when they did so, they also replaced the push button switches and elimated my power liftgate button. They eventually took care of that snafu. As for the climate control problem itself, it still occurs. Once it even did the cut off, and then restart but when it came back on, it was full tilt! None of the controls worked....even the power switch! I pulled over, turned the vehicle off, let it sit for a few minutes and then restarted, everything back to normal. Go figure.

There is a TSB out for a similar problem. I suggest calling your Ford service mgr. first and then be prepared for them to "dirve it around and try to duplicate the problem". This could be futile since I never could determine what series of events needed to occur before the AC cut out. I have resolved myself to the fact that the vehicle is possessed.
  • when i went to machine the rotors on my 04 expedition, i found that my rotors were conveniently rusted onto the assembly. i tried using a rubber mallet and screwdriver and did not make any progress. i decided it was worth the extra money to have my local mechanic do it instead. i would suggest (if you haven't done so already) to call a trusted mechanic and talk to them about the rotors. if you don't have a trusted mechanic, ask friends if they have a guy they trust and see if you can get the mechanic to tell you how to get the rotors off. if you feel it's too big of a task then it might be worth spending the extra money. hope this helps.
  • not sure if you have found a solution to your problem yet, but i just wanted to throw my two cents out there. i have an 04 expy eddie bauer with the electronic hvac controls. i used to notice that the ac would randomly stop blowing cold air. i noticed it mostly when i drove long distances. i took it into the dealership and they said it was some sort of related wire harness. they fixed it at no cost (under warranty) and said that there was a TSB out for that problem. maybe similar to yours???
  • The driver seat heat/ac switch on my 2003 EB has quit working. I took apart the console, figuring I could get to it that way. I still cannot get to the switch. can anyone give me guidance on how to replace the switch? Thanks