Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I've done both first reading was actually under
    10. Last one was a lil better, but still seems
    to be awfully low.
  • macman246macman246 Posts: 118
    We have a '99 Expedition and get about 11-13 mpg normally. On long trips it goes up to 17-18 mpg. It's got the 5.4L V8.

Do you have a lead foot? Do you idle for long periods of time picking your kids up from school? If not, you probably have a problem.
  • Can you help - we have had an 03 XLT Premium for about 10 days. It seems to keep on accelerating after you take your foot off the throtle and seems slow to downshift when you are slowing down - any obvious causes known??

thanks
  • 8 days old XLT 4X4 Premium - advance trac light came on - pulled over and restarted - it went off. more concerned about taking foot off gas pedal and it seems to continue to accelerate..... also when braking it seems very slow to downshift... any others?.... any ideas?
  • What did you drive before this? It sounds like you may be coming from a standard. The sensation of accelerating after you are off the throttle could just be that it is not slowing as a standard might in the same situation. What does the tach do when you let off? I have never percieved the shift points when slowing in an Expedition, but in general the vehicle is not using the transmission to slow itself down. In other Ford products I have felt what they referred to as a "coasting clutch" which did actually act like a standard and you would feel the successive gears.
  • Before this we had a 95 Suburban Automatic and a Eurovan (VW) Auto. yesterday we were in a flat bit of town probably in the second gear - my wife took her foot off the gas and the car continued for about 1.5 miles without slowing down or reducing revs.....
  • jrc346jrc346 Posts: 337
    I would test drive another Expedition with the same engine and drive set up (4x4, 4x2 ect) and see if it does the same thing. If it does this is normal.
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    I would recommend taking it in. I have 2003 5.4L 4x4 and there is absolutely no way our vehicle would behave that way. I had an 88 Park Avenue that seemed like it had zero rolling resistance. It would keep going and going. Our Expedition behaves like a "normal" vehicle. Sounds like something is amiss. I can't comment on 4.6L or 2WD models, however.
  • rickc5rickc5 Posts: 378
    The reverse sensing system in our 2001 E.B. doesn't work at all when it is real cold out (like 20 degrees F or colder). It works fine when the temp is above freezing. And yours beeps all the time when its cold out. Weird, huh?
  • Thanks for the reply. It's weird that it actually only happened that once! (And, only one day in the last 7 days has the temp been above freezing)

But, I'm still having trouble with my driver's window not opening first thing in the morning. I think that is weather releated since on COLD days it still takes about 10 tries of hitting the down button to get the window to go down and the ONLY day it worked on the first try was the day it was not below freezing.

I've got to take it into the dealer but getting a day to schedule an appt. when I won't need the truck and finding the time to drop it off... that's a pain!

Thanks again, Rick, for the info!
  • I just bought a 1998 Eddie Bauer Expedition with 52000 mi. Runs and looks great but I have a sqeaking noise on the drivers side of the dash when I hit bumps in the road it is not always consistant and it is really starting to get on my nerves! It seems to be worse when the heat is on. I have also noticed a whining noise coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment near the fire wall. Almost sounds like a power steering pump but it is no where near there. HELP!!
  • I am going to be purchasing a new expedition soon and have been reading alot about them escpecially the problems with clunking and grinding noises in 2wd. I was able to find a good board staffed with ford techs that go into great detail about the problems you are having. Here is the link I hope it helps.

http://flatratetech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=0- 00558;p=1
  • I PURCHASED A NEW 03 EB A FEW MONTHS AGO. I HAVE HAD CONTINUOUS BRAKE PROBLEMS, SPECIFICALLY WARPED ROTORS. THE DEALER HAS MACHINED THEM ONCE, REPLACED THEM TWICE, REPLACED THE CALIPERS TWICE AND REPLACED THE ENTIRE BRAKING SYSTEM ONCE ABOUT TWO MONTHS AGO. I HAVE DRIVEN ABOUT 2500 MILES SINCE THEY REPLACED THE BRAKING SYSTEM AND AGAIN FIND I AM HAVING VERY BAD SHUDDERING UNDER NORMAL BRAKING CONDITIONS (FROM 35 MPH TO GRADUAL STOP)

I AM ABOUR READY TO FILE A LEMON LAW CASE AS I AM AT THE END OF MY ROPE!!

HAD ANYONE EXPERIENCED SIMILAR PROBLEMS WITH WARPED BRAKE ROTORS???
  • look at my post number 194 this maybe your problem. There is a problem with the expedition front ends. The tech goes into more detail on that web site, you can even ask him the same question see what he says.
  • I bought my 03 EB Expedition in November and from time to time (much more often recently), when I excellerate to around 35-40mph, I hear a loud reving noise and feel vibration in the wheel and the console. When I slow down, it sounds like the transmission is having to slow down the vehicle. It sounds like the noise is coming from the the front on the drivers side. The tachometer does not increase when the reving noise or loud engine noise occurs. Could this be the same issue being discussed about vibration and grinding?

Also, has anyone had problems with their doors rattling significantly over bumps? I have had the truck in 7 times for this and they got one door corrected but the other door still rattles even on a windy day at high speeds. I am on my last nerve with this.
  • Sorry guys - i had had enough/... 4 weeks of ownership 12 days in the shop - I took the '03 Expy back and traded it onm an Excursion. Probably should have gone there first anyway given family size. Clearly its no Expy in terms of features but it was cheap and is big.

thanks for all your advice
  • jrc346jrc346 Posts: 337
    I don't know about the others here but I understand your position. When someone pays a great deal of money for something it ought to work. Sometimes things don't, but for your new Expy to be in the shop 12 days is BAD! Sorry things didn't work out with the Expedition, I wish you better luck with the Excursion. I really like the Diesel Excursion myself ;-)
    I don't know how they fixed your doors but there is a new weatherstripping kit to address door noises. I had mine replaced and now no more noise.
  • We bought a 2003 EB 4x2 on 2/11/03. The amount of brake dust this vehicle produces is crazy. I wash the rims and tires, then 50 miles later they are covered again. I sure hope they come out with ceramic brake pads that will fit this vehicle SOON.
  • Get brake dust shields - they work great and I have not found they have any detrimental effect on braking power. If I let it go, my rear rims actually get dirty sooner than the fronts which is a far cry from the fronts which used to get dirty in 100 miles. They are around $40.
  • Dust covers are not a good option. They will cause the over heating of the brake system. I would rather clean my rotors several times a week, than end up with warped rotors. Thanks for the comment. They should be out with the ceramic pads before to long.
  • I've had the covers on for 30k miles with no warpage. I drive hard and a lot (26k for work alone).
  • shocaseshocase Posts: 2
    I have a 98 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4 Litre. Starting 12/02, I have had problems with starting. It would not start, but 1 hour later, it would start. It has done this 3 or 4 times. Yesterday, it would not start at all. Had not electrical power. No lights, clock, radio. No electrical device would work. Tried jumper cables. No difference. When it was towed to the dealer 4 hours later, the electrical system came back on line as I was rolling off the flatbed. Dealer says all systems check out as normal. Can not find problem unless they can duplicate the event. Must admit, your problems are not very encouraging. Anyone have any ideas?
  • shocaseshocase Posts: 2
    Have a 98 Eddie Bauer 5.4 Litre. Yesterday, my wife drove to meet me for lunch. When lunch was over, the Expedition had no eletrical power. Tried jumper cables. Made no difference. Had no electrical power. Four hours later, as it was about to be rolled off of the flat bed, electrical system came back on line. Started and drove off of the truck. Ford dealer says all systems check out. Can not find the problems unless they experience the problem. Any ideas?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,702
    not a mechanic, but check that battery cables are tight. also local mechanic told me his truck had a bad battery cable that was temperature sensitive. check ground cable for corrosion.
    good luck.
  • seifertcseifertc Posts: 1
    My 2003 Expedition shakes and becomes very irritating when the passenger or middle row
    windows are down. I brought the car for
    service and was told there was nothing the
    dealership could do until engineering documents
    it as a problem. The dealership has had other
    people bring the car in with the same problem
    and even took another expedition from the
    dealership for a drive with the windows down.
    I have made a complaint with Ford and will see
    if they do something.

I am very frustrated because it seems this problem
    exists in alot or maybe even all 2003 expeditions
    and I can't imagine Ford didn't know about it
    before selling me the car.

Are other people experiencing the same problem?
    We haven't had any weather nice enough here in Minneapolis to drive with the windows down yet, so I can't comment on the sound. I can tell you that a whole bunch of Sequoia owners have complained about the same issue and Toyota has said there isn't anything they can do.

It is kind of the nature of the beast and I think you are going to have to try and live with it.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Posts: 210
    The noise from just having certain windows open happens in all cars to some degree - the wind rushing in has nowhere to go so it buffets around the passenger compartment. It is more common in tighter newer cars that don't breath as much as older cars. It changes tones depending on how many and which windows are open. Try cracking the others a little to give the air another place to go. Do '03s have rear opening quarter windows? Open those and the noise will definately go away.
  • brdowns1brdowns1 Posts: 2
    Has anyone had their 4 wheel low engage all on its own? The dealer replaced the G.E.M. module last year when I had this problem. Now it is happening again! Problem is it never happens when I take it in for service......typical.

Also have occasional problems in cold weather(<20 F) where the vehicle experiences significant resistance when trying to drive. After the truck warms up it seems to get better.

Thanks
  • brdowns1brdowns1 Posts: 2
    When I first researched buying an Expedition several years ago I seem to recall seeing a posting on this site about an after-market item that will boost fuel efficiency. Does anyone no of such an item?