Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• blanscetblanscet Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 exp xlt w/18,000 miles. On a 800 mile trip home pulling a u-haul my right front wheel started vibrating. The dealer tells me the bearings froze up and the tire was dangerously close to falling off. He said if I would have tried to get another 100 miles we would have died (wife and 1yr old in car). Has anyone ever experience something like this on this new of a car?
  • gregb5gregb5 Posts: 82
    The tires will fit, but it will cause a slight miscalibration of the speedometer/odometer since the circumference of the two tires you list will be diferent. You're thinking of going to a tire that is taller than your stock tire, which will make the instruments read on the low side. It will, in theory at least, also make your gear ratios slightly taller feeling.

I should note that all of these differences are very minor and you will not notice them, in all likelihood.
  • dabush2dabush2 Posts: 9
    My '00 EB 4x4 Expedition w/41K miles is sitting in the shop staring at $500 worth of repairs. I set the emergency brake the other day, and when I released it, the truck would move much slower than normal in D. When I shifted into R, the truck wouldn't move at all. Drove 5 miles to the dealer and it seemed fine, so I didn't leave it (Sunday). The next day, shifted into R and a big "thunk" from the rear-time to take it in. Being told the emergency brake cables were "corroded" and that is why they froze when I set the brake. They need to be replaced, along with the emergency brake pads (separate from the "regular" brake pads) and resurfacing the right side emergency brake drum (again, separate from the "regular" brake disc). Was told this is a common problem when the emergency brake is not used on a regular basis (once a month, according to what is in the owner’s manual-haven’t confirmed that yet). Hello, I know I'm no Mr. Goodwrench, but unbeknownst to me, not using the emergency brake once a month is a recipe for disaster! Anyone else had this problem or concur with what the dealer has told me? Otherwise, the truck has been great.

BTW, test drove an '03 and it seemed pretty nice. I got an "invitation" to take a test drive and get a free gift from Ford. You can choose a K2 duffle bag, some golf balls and a glove, or a debit card with $50 on it. Took the debit card to help pay for the repairs on my truck. How's that for sad irony?!
  • co_daveco_dave Posts: 16
    Eran1 - with your problem could you hear the faint click that Northhou and I both hear? Seems like that would mean that the stalk is ok.

Dabush2 - no problems with the brakes. It would seem that the corrosion would occur with or without use, the difference would be if the corrosion would result in the freezing. Unless working the cable results in lubrication which protects the cable.
  • lnewsomlnewsom Posts: 2
    I would like to know if any one is having problems with their cd player. my husband just brought a new 20002 EXP.today he sat listening to his cd's for maybe 10 hours straight. when he started the truck to take folks home first 2 cd's would not read. by the time he returned home none of them(6) would read and now it says no cd's in magazine. he's really upset and i would like to ease his mind and fix it if possible. i told him that maybe the mag got to hot.please help if you can thanks.
  • lnewsomlnewsom Posts: 2
    he's also had a problem withdrawing his key from ignition
  • Has anyone else experienced this problem with the 4.6L engine. It all started with a oil leak at ~4500 mi. The dealer replaced the head gasket and the leak re-appeared at ~10k mi. Now they have attempted to replace the head and are experiencing a sluggish acceleration.
  • colletoncolleton Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Expy. It not only developed an oil leak at the cyl. head with less than 5000 miles, but the it emits a huge ball "blue smoke" at times. Usually once it has been sitting for a while, like overnight.
    The oil leak problem which started at 5K miles is still ongoing at 10k miles. Head gasket has been replaced, still leaks from cylinder head. Ford Engineers are working on it. Tells me it's an isolated case. But I beg to differ after finding this site. Please respond with similiar problems.

Tomcoll1@earthlink.net
    Dear Expyownwer,
    This problem with leaky cylinder heads is not an isolated one. Ford knows about this problem and I feel they are not doing much about it. Remember the Pinto? I am still fighting at 10K miles. My Expy has been in the repair shop a total of 45 days (30 days on the first attempt, 15 days to date on the second attempt). Don't waste your breathe and time calling Customer Service, They are trained to be extra nice and do nothing about the problem.
  • wathenmswathenms Posts: 1
    All call to anybody who has a 1998 5.4L Expedition. I just turned 100K and I have had no real mantenance issues outside the normal. I have had slight tapping/clicking/knocking sounds upon start. This problem usually goes way after warm-up. I have heard three explanations for this problem:
    1. Check Valve of some kind not functioning properly,
    2. Common Problem and can be fixed with an oil change with synthetic oil and use CD-2 Additive,
    3. This is a serious situation involving piston slap. Engine will probably last another 20-30K miles before rebuild is necessary.

Does anybody have any experience with this type of problem? Love my Expedition and want to keep it healthy.
  • amberb2amberb2 Posts: 2
    My first (and probably last) SUV. The power steering pump went at 40k mi. Then the power steering gear box went about 2k mi. later. As luck would have it, the warranty expired at 36k. Think $600 per repair. Then at 46k, I needed a new engine. A NEW ENGINE. (in case you didn't hear me)

I just traded it in for a 2001 Hyundai xg300 and couldn't be happier.
  • blanscetblanscet Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 exp xlt w/18,000 miles. On a 800 mile trip home pulling a u-haul my right front wheel started vibrating. The dealer tells me the bearings froze up and the tire was dangerously close to falling off. He said if I would have tried to get another 100 miles we would have died (wife and 1yr old in car). He claims it was a manufacturers defect. Has anyone ever experience something like this on this new of a car?
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Posts: 210
    Claiming you would have died is a bit extreme.
  • cobalt220cobalt220 Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 eddie bauer 4wd expedition. When excelerating, you feel a rumble, shake, and vibration in the center and rear of the vehicle. It does it only when you excelerate firmly. It is scheduled to go in for service for this problem. Has anyone heard of this shaking, vibration from the driveline before? The vehicle has 35K on it. Thanks guys.
  • stang92stang92 Posts: 4
    has anyone had this problem with the front end whine then when i step on the brake i hear it more what could this be. thanks.
  • An update on my 1998 XLT- I now have 46,150 KMs on it. I average 12-13 MPG City, and 17-18 MPG on the highway. Other than the gas mileage, I've never had a problem with my Expedition. So far, (touch wood) I like this vehicle.

Linzi
    If you have experienced titled problems please register with Ford Customer Service @ 1-800-392-3673. I know that I am not the only one experiencing these problems. The cylinder head and gasket have been replaced on the engine. Too soon to tell if that problem has been fixed, but I am still getting a cloud of blue smoke when starting at times. Recently it have been doing it quite often. The problem is, trying to get Ford to do something. The dealership don't believe me because they can't duplicate the problem when I take the vehicle in.

Please respond: tomcoll1@earthlink.net
  • haemonhaemon Posts: 19
    Hello all. We recently purchased a '98 Eddie Bauer Expedition (4WD). Has anyone experienced a vibration/bumpy ride when the vehicle is traveling 65 mph and higher? If so, surely that is not normally. The vehicle rides pretty smoothly until you get on the freeway and drive a bit faster. Has anyone experienced that? Any thoughts?

Also, has anyone experienced (what I will call) a low vibration when the car comes to a stop (but is still in gear)?
  • haemonhaemon Posts: 19
    Hello all. We recently purchased a '98 Eddie Bauer Expedition (4WD). Although the vehicle only has 27k miles, I have been having a problem with a vibration/bumpy ride when the vehicle is traveling 65 mph and higher. I just noticed that "3dglasses" and "jrc346" have had similar problems. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how did you solve the problem?

As for you 3dglasses, were you able to solve the problem? If so, did jrc346's suggestions help?

Also, has anyone experienced (what I will call) a low vibration when the car comes to a stop (but is still in gear)?
  • Maybe it's your load leveling system. Is it equipped with one?