Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Probably 97-02. Not 03.
  • My 2007 Expedition will sometimes chug or hesitate while driving. It doesn't do this all of the time. I have taken it in the the Ford repair shop 3 times and even while hooking up their computer they still can't find anything wrong with it. It's odd becasue it will only do it after driving for an hour or so. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
  • Yashoda,

I was wondering if you have ever found out the problem for the acceleration problem. I myself just recently have had the same problem with my 2001 expedition. Driving on the expressway and the rpms continued to climb and the vehicle continued to accelerate and had to use the brakes to slow down.

any thoughts are appreciated
  • we purchased a 2000 expedition and on the way home the car hit about 3500 rpms and the car acted like someone put the brake on or even like theres a governor on the vehicle. we drove it a few more times it drove fine today i drove it and it did the same thing you hit the 3500 rpm range it behaves like theres a governor any ideas on this?
  • 03expo03expo Posts: 1
    I have an 03 Expedition Eddie Bauer (5.4 engine). I noticed every once in a while when I try starting my truck it would make a LOUD grinding sound as if the truck was already running. Once I flip the switch over and try cranking the truck it would start right up. Well now it's happening even more and harder to start my truck. I was told it could be the starter or the fly wheel going out. If anyone has had similar problems and had it fixed pls share your solution....
  • re: turning got worse hard then easy then hard then easy again.. steering column lower shaft has two u joints in it on of them is seized up. remove and replace about 160 at dealership. should solve problem
  • sammi16sammi16 Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with 2004 expedition and it seems to be getting worse have you found the problem?
  • dr1953dr1953 Posts: 1
    I am having a problem with extended cranking time on my 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4L Eddie Bauer. I have changed the fuel filter, air filter and had the fuel system cleaned. When the engine is running there is no problem with power. what do I look for now?
  • gog_1gog_1 Posts: 5
    check your spark plugs and wires.. good luck! :shades:
  • I had this exact same problem with the exact year/make/model.

This is your fuel pump assembly unit which sits op top of the gas tank. cost me about 670 bucks to replace.
  • cobcob Posts: 210
    I am wondering if anyone out there can enlighten me on the latest Ford recalls for the F-150 pickups and why the Expeditions are not included? The 2004 F-150s were recalled for faulty air bags but not the 2004 Expeditions. Both have identical steering wheels/interiors and I would assume use the same air bags. Now the gas tank straps on the 2004 F-150 are being recalled for excessive corrosion but not the 2004 Expedition. I looked under my 2004 Expy last night and having been originally titled in Ohio and now Michigan both tank straps are corroded but not part of the recall. i have a friend with a 2004 F-150 crewcab and the truck is the same as my 2004 Expedition except for the rear suspension. Are we Expedition owners losing due to lower sales volumes and lack of complaints to the NTSB?
  • i have a 2000 ford expedition, lately when driving it, it has started to cut out and die. By chance we found that by taking the gas cap off, it idles back up and runs fine. it is getting to be an issue, we ran diagnostics with no clear answer, replaced fuel pump, cleaned the valve lines coming out of the tank, peplaced some valve under the hood? (not sure why, but thats what the parts house suggested) We can not seem to figure it out! Another weird thing is that we drove it about 50 miles in the rain (cool outside) and it never even stuttered, but later that day when it got hot, it did the same thing again. It dies and wont start unless you open the cap. What can it be? :confuse:
  • My 2001 Expedition surges as soon as I start it. The ABS lights comes on, the speedomitor (sorry sp) and RPM move up and down, the radio cuts in and out, and the windows are difficult to roll up. This has been happening for the past few months and at one point it stalled and would not start. I heard a tcking sound at that point and this has not happened again. Please tell me what I can do!!!
  • tinamjtinamj Posts: 3
    Hello, We have a Ford Exp and for the past few months we have noticed a clicking noise when driving. The noise will get faster as we accelerate. The oil is fine and has even been changed again recently. Any clue what can be causing this?
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Have a mechanic check it out, could be a valve.

First thing to do is to find out whether it is inside the engine, or outside. Disconnect the serpentine belt and start the engine. If the ticking is still there, it's inside the engine. If the noise has stopped, then the problem is one of the externally mounted devices (e.g. alternator, AC compressor, etc).
    Thanks so much for answering, I took it to a auto place on post (we are in Germany right now) but they didn't know what it was and didn't feel comfortable looking into the engine so they told me to take it to a Ford Dealership. If it is inside the engine is it something serious that may cost a lot of money?
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    edited August 2011
    Has the potential to be expensive. Since no-one can hear your engine over the internet or do any of the diagnostic techniques that a mechanic can....it's hard to know. Could be something relatively easy to fix......or it could be a major problem that could turn catastrophic if not corrected.

As an example, if you have a piston rod bearning going bad, they'd have to open up the engine to fix it, which would be expensive. If on the other hand you drive it and the bearing totally fails and the rod punches thru the engine block, then it's catastrophic and you will need a new engine. If it is something external to the engine, would be cheaper.

Point is, nothing to fool around with, get a trusted/competent mechanic to figure out what the problem is.
    Thanks so much. I have an appointment with Ford Monday, so I hope it is something not to major.

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question :)
  • I have this problem with my expedition too. It is an 04. I had that popping noise that has now advanced to something like the sound of a machine gun. However, it started out just like the pop noise you described in this post. Did you ever find out what the problem is?
  • Easy $20 dollar fix. It's called the rear actuator. You can Google it. You'll find a lot of posts. It took me about two hours to get it replaced. But I took off panels that I shouldn't have. Let me know if u need more help.