Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Aviator

Comments

• ghengiscghengisc Posts: 24
    Does anyone know how to get to the digital clock on the dvd navigation system? I've read the manual which tells me to touch the earth symbol to get to the menu but there is no icon to set the clock like it says. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • asemaasema Posts: 33
    When entering in the destination, or selecting POI there seems to be a delay in enabling the buttons. i.e. I have to wait upto 3-5 minutes at times for the buttons to be enabled before I can press them on the screen. Thats annoying. Does that happen to you to?
  • 1 My 2003 also said interactive vehicle dynamic system on the spec sheet. I would also like to know what this means in relation to the advance trac system.

2. I factory ordered the typeIII/IV hitch. I believe it doesn't involve any different radiator, alternator, or change of axle ratio. If added later( dealer installed) it may not accommodate the factory plastic bumper cover that is standard ( a different cover is supplied when you order this option as the type III/IV protrudes a bit ). As you mentioned it seems that the dealers are routinely not sent vehicles with this option.

3. The Nav system will not let you enter the address of the destination while the SUV is in motion. ( I suspect a safety feature) I also have not seen a digital clock with the nav system on the nav display.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    According to today's Automotive News, an industry trade magazine, the Aviator will be discontinued as early as 2005 due to poor sales.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    Same thing they said about the Thunderbird... But internally, there's something else involved pertaining to the Aviator. Or it could be replaced by something better, but I can't state what yet.
    If you read the article, it states they have spoken to a "few suppliers".... Has enough one thought of, that MAYBE it's because the Aviator will be moved to another factory, therefore, those current suppliers which are CLOSE to the current factory will obviously not be needed.....

This again is media speculation, coupled with the same story months ago that Aviator sales were not as expected, when actually they are almost on target. For some odd reason, the media is just wanting to pick on Ford lately....
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Everybody here who has one, sure seems to like it.
    Oh, this doesn't look good. Comments, ANT? (Notwithstanding your previous comments on the matter)....

http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/ford5_20030805.htm
    Yes I read that story yesturday. Originally the Aviator was not to exsist beyond 2006-2007, so having it killed a year ahead of plans, isn't the suprising. There's an internal reason why this topic has been brought to the media. And a few possible senarios occuring. As I stated previously, there's 2 aspects coming into play. Let's not forget the current negotiations with the UAW are taking place (hint).
  • e350v10e350v10 Posts: 92
    I too, love my Aviator. However, when I bought it last November my only comment was that it was about $5K too high in price. I wouldn't have considered it without A-Plan.

What I can't figure out is why the XC90 is still backlogged. Aviators are a great deal compared to a $48K loaded T-6, and even some Navigators are available at the price.
    The Xc90 is backlogged because a bunch of them drowned at sea when a freighter bringing them over, had an accident. Some BMW's, MB's were also on the same ship.
    So the Aviator pricing would hold and the demand would be up if 250 Aviators were dropped into the Mississippi?

The ship sank last December. There must be some other production problems - or it must be a low production vehicle. Volvo still sold 3792 XC90's in May.

Somehow Volvo is simply outmarketing Lincoln - or perhaps people simply want a European 7-seater SUV?
    Just capacity, the factory where the Xc90 produces other Volvo vehicles, not just for the N.A. market, but around the world as well. SO while there's around approx. 3700 sold here in the U.S., they need to build others for other market.

Latest numbers show majority of Volvo's being sold are SUV, or Wagon related. Sedan sales are holding steady, ir not dropping a bit. Versality seems to be a Volvo consumer favorite.
    Maybe they should build Volvos in Hazelwood! The quality might be better. ;)

I think the Aviator is probably the better vehicle of the two - it just doesn't appeal to the same crowd for some reason.
    Worlds apart. Aviator being BOF contruction RWD/4x4 while the Xc90 is Uni-body car based FWD/AWD vehicle. Once the Ford Freestyle debuts, I'm eager to see how that vehicle will be accepted.
    I know they would have to build a new plant - but BMW and Mercedes did it for their SUVs.

Isn't the new Discovery being built on a modified Explorer platform?

I think the Freestyle is going to be a hit.
    Who needs a new plant, Volvo? Nah, Ford has more than enough, if anything they need to CLOSE some. Actually the Volvo S40 will be produced along with the Mazda3, Focus, at the Valencia, Spain plant.
  • ext25ext25 Posts: 32
    Remember when the magazine said the Taurus was going to be cancelled....and then we found out that was not true, well ot looks like the rumors in the magazines are wrong again....

"Reports of the death of Lincoln’s Aviator have been greatly exaggerated, insisted Ford Motor Co. COO Nick Scheele, during a discussion with reporters in Traverse City. In recent days, numerous news stories have indicated that Lincoln’s mid-size luxury sport-ute will be pulled from production in 2005, a victim of weak sales. But such reports are “premature,” said Ford COO Nick Scheele, quickly substituting the word, “wrong.” MBS keynote speaker, Scheele stressed “We have taken no such decision on Aviator,” insisting that after a slow start, sales have begun picking up. Through June, he reported, Lincoln has sold about 13,000 of the SUVs, nearly half the 30,000 target for all of 2003. Scheele, meanwhile, countered concerns that Lincoln has lost its direction. Last spring, he told TheCarConnection the luxury brand was rethinking its entire product program following its pull-out from Ford’s Premier Automotive Group. The new lineup is “impressive,” Scheele said, denying that the American luxury unit will simply rely on “badge-engineered” versions of products sold by other Ford divisions."
    Yes, that story is from Car Connection just posted a few minutes ago.
     http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6270

Like I kept saying, alot of media hype with a bias against domestic manufacturer's.
  • ext25ext25 Posts: 32
    The Aviator is now selling at a rate of roughly 2700 per month, that works out to be a rate of 32,400 per year, (and that does not even include the sales in Canada.) That sounds pretty close to the 30,000 or so originally estimated.

Of course there was that little war thing that depressed industry sales for a few months, but lets not let facts get in the way.

The media chooses to highlight the early months when the vehicle had not even reached all the dealers and wonder why they weren't selling 2700 per month when the vehicles were still in transit to the dealers.

What a crock!
    Same thing with the Pacifica's sales, the media decided to pick on it as well. They expect that every vehicle sold by the domestic to rack in 100K units for them to find it a success.
  • Really I don't look for the Aviator to be around too much longer, it is priced too close to the Nav. You will see the name agian on a new crossover....
    I do agree, the Aviator needs a $5,000 price cut, not because of size, but because of the long list of stuff a Navigator has available, that the
    Avaitor doesn't offer, like the dimming mirror, the folding outside mirrors, the power liftgate, the power folding seats, the power running boards.
  • "Really I don't look for the Aviator to be around too much longer, it is priced too close to the Nav" This is not unlike the expedition and the explorer
  • I too have recently heard some weird sounds from my aviator - with the radio on and off, the A/C off and on. It sounds like a duck dying and it is a real random type of thing. I have heard it twice in the past week - but it is really loud. The first time I almost crashed. What could this be? My rear vents are off, is there some type of fix? HELP!!!
  • asemaasema Posts: 33
    My wife says shes heard something that sounds like a loud cat, almost like a 'meow' from the rear of the car.
    I've never heard that sound yet. The sound that I have heard, about three times, and always when I am turning the steering wheel is a loud grinding type sound that sounds like its coming from the front axle. Anyway hear this sound, or have any idea what it might be?
    Thanks.
    2003 Aviator- 1600 miles.
    Back a few posts, you'll find my query about this wierd sound in my friend's Aviator. He still has it, it's intermittant, and we still have no clue what it is. Difficult to diagnose because it's so quickly here and gone. Hard to get a dealer to even hear it. So, if anyone out there ever figures out what it is, PLEASE let us all know!! I've never heard of it coming from a Mountaineer, or Navigator. Certainly, it's not in mine, and I have both of those.
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    The "dying duck" and "loud cat" descriptions had me falling off the chair! I don't mean to lessen the seriousness of your issue, I hope someone can help. If all else fails try flatratetech.com -- there are Ford/Lincoln mechanics in the forums who've been very helpful to me.

By the way, my navigator does a slight "whine" from behind the stereo system for a few seconds on start-up but goes away when I drive off.
  • my first weekend with my aviator i heard helicopter sounds. It was the wind noise from the moon roof open with no other windows opened. I solved it by keeping at least the rear two windows open when the moon roof is open. I hope this helps someone.