Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Aviator

Comments

• Ended up purchasing a X5, second choice was a Navigator. I realize these are truck-based frames versus car based and different size/class vehicles. Towing/cargo space was not an issue. As for build/quality issues, I am cautious about first year models do to possible problems. A lot first year vehicles can have gremlins, no matter who is manufacturing them.

I will again seriously consider a Avaitor when I am ready for a new SUV in 2-3 years. I think Lincoln has hit a home run with both the Avaitor and the Navigator.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Thanks for sharing.

Reasons why I chose the Navigator over the X-5:

Underpowered
    Uninspired 80's style dash & interior
    Cheap sounding stereo
    Too small, no 3rd seat
    Noisy, and not a nice engine noise either
    Hard steering effort
    9 recalls so far
    Only SUV to do a 420 degree circle braking on ice

It's very cute, but I expected a lot more from BMW, who I think, make phenomenal cars.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    Hmm, I think it's 11 recalls now. Last I remember... Too lazy to look for that info right now, just got back from the gym. :-)
  • I saw two Aviators driving in the suburban St. Louis area on June 18 on the trip home from work. Appeared to be pilot vehicles from the Hazelwood, Missouri, factory. They looked even better on the road! Does anyone know whether a rear seat DVD entertainment system will be offered. Also, will the stability control system be available with AWD? If so, will it be offered at the initial launch?
  • ext25ext25 Posts: 32
    I think the number of safety recalls on the BMW X5 is now up to 12, or maybe thirteen. I too lost track. The last ones I remember were the the engine fire recall and the brake failure recall.

Whats so disappointing about BMW's problems are even the 2003 models have ben recalled. You would expect that after being on the market for so many years now they could get the quality right.
    Of course, the media doesn't keep an eye on it.... ya know, for those people who have that "halo perception" of BMW believing they are holy in some way....
    Aviator sold 2934 units in August. Almost as many units as typical Navigator sales month.... And to think, the media was already writting it's obituary....
  • clpurnellclpurnell Posts: 1,087
    I have two totally different vehicles and have had seat rocking issues with both (FX35 and Chrysler 300M) is there like a universal supplier for seat rails and they just make faulty products or something. I have also heard of this happening on othe following other cars.
    Acura TL
    G35
    Aviator/Explorer/Moutaineer
  • I own an Aviator and I'm interested in speaking to either the executive office of Lincoln or the Aviator Brand manager.When calling the 800 # for Lincoln on their web site,I've been told that they either do not have that info or will not release it.Would anyone have a Tel. # for the exec. office or the Name and # of the brand manager?
    Thanks
    Bruce
    bruce@optonline.net
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,194
    Please don't post that sort of information on-line here; we don't have time or resources to verify contact info, not to mention a brand manager may not want her name plastered all over a forum. Stick to email - thanks!

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Bruce, tell me exactly who you wish to speak to, and I'll direct you to the proper number if possible. Of course, chances of you speaking to the brand manager, might be as difficult as reaching Bill, but be more specific as to which exact person that can help you in whatever issue, you may need. If it's techinical, vehicle related, warranty related, complaint, etc.
    Well, if I'm not mistaken there are a few major vendors for seats for most auto manufacturers. One is Johnson Controls. The other major supplier is Lear. And you may be sitting on a Lear seat in a Ford, or in a Chrysler, whoever won the contract this year. So, that may be why seats move in many different brands. Not saying it's Lear, you understand....
    Looks like the Aviator seems to be selling pretty well after all. It even sold more than the hot-selling Volvo XC90 in August.

Some media people were predicting that the Aviator was just going to steal sales from the Mountaineer, but thats not happening. The Mountaineer sales were up 8% to 5,188, a record.

Just goes to show ya the media usually gets it wrong.
    Does anyone know anything about the new interior color for 2004, I think its called Dove Grey. How does it compare to the grey from the 2003s?
  • Thanks for responding.I'm looking for help on a technical issue that I feel my dealer is not giving me the correct info about.Please feel free to e-mail me with this info.
    Thanks again
    Bruce
    bruce@optonline.net
    Ok I'll email you with some numbers that might help.
  • Has anyone been able to get better aftermarket floormats for their Aviator such as Cathall Mats. No one has them yet, which is puzzling since the 2004 model is coming out soon or is already out.
  • Won't Explorer mats work?
  • Automobile Magazine Reports in Oct. Issue...
                  Aviator is grounded
       "In 2005, Lincoln's Explorer-based Aviator will join the Blackwood in the automotive graveyard because of slow sales, according to suppliers and Ford and UAW insiders interviewed by Detroit Free Press and Automotive News The Aviator was launched last November."

So whats the deal? Neither Motor Trenc nor Car and Driver reported anything of the such in recent issues. I have generally found Automobile to be less accurate than MT or CD but they certainly had to get the information from somewhere...
    Scroll back a few messages from weeks ago, and you will read the real story.
    I'm sure getting tired of this rumor.
  • asemaasema Posts: 33
    Is there any way to hook up the DVD entertainment screen to the Nav Screen so that DVDs playing in the back also show up in the front on the Nav screen (or can the Navigation drive to tuned to play DVDs?). I know there are some car audio/video stores around than can make this happen for different cars (like BMWs), but am wondering if the hardware in the Aviators would allow for this to happen. Any ideas?
  • I think you should just keep your eyes on the road. I think having any video system available that allows a driver to view while in the operation of a motor vehicle is an absolute distaction and could pose a danger to your passengers and to drivers and pedestrians around you. I have a dvd in rear of my Aviator and I have viewed it while being parked and "not" in the driver seat. I think there are enough distractions while one commutes. We sure don't need to add any more.
    Which reminds me, over in Europe, your able to watch regular T.V. in the S80/S60 Navi system which pops up from the center dashboard cowl. Obviously in the U.S., that has been dissabled specially considering if people here can't even drive while chatting on the cellphone, how could they possibly be able to watch T.V.

Although in some cities, you are able to receive the simulcast of some local T.V. stations through some FM stations, and at least your able to hear it than watch it.
    Having the feature available only in Park may be a viable compromise.....and a real convenience, if anybody cares....
  • Someone once mentioned what I thought was a novel idea.. if the passenger seat senses that someone is sitting there, then the navigation controls and dvd player should function in the front. There is nothing wrong with a passenger watching a movie on a long trip or fiddling with the nav controls while the driver drives. I know that some import SUV's (Rx300) know if that seat is occupied and a light "reminds" you to have them put on their seatbelt., so the technology to make this happen should be easy to implement. Then again, I'm sure lawyers will never allow any company to do this.
    Also, a good idea, and also, as you say, I'm sure the cellphone (distraction) police will never let it happen. We'll be lucky if they don't take our radios out of our cars.
  • Does anyone have insight as to what will replace the current rebates as they expire on 9/30? Seeing as how they are selling well now, maybe the rebates won't improve. I am considering buying this weekend, but it would be no problem to wait 2.5 weeks. Only issue is that the pickings may be slimmer at my dealer.
  • mp19fanmp19fan Posts: 102
    I remember seeing TV ads featuring very attractive 0% for up to 72 months or up to $4k cash back. Is this still available? What is the likelihood of getting ~$6-650 monthly payments over 5 years w/ $0 down for a 4WD lux version? I'd like to keep the payments roughly the same as my '01 Montero LTD, which I may trade in or sell. BTW, I'm in the So Cal area, if this helps.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    They never tell us in advance what the "new" incentives will be...
    I don't know about other regions since Lincoln does regional incentives.... but we are currently advertising Aviators at $8000 off AND 0% for 72 months....This has generated alot of sales, You should be able to get your dealer in the same area, as long as they do some volume.