Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Aviator

Comments

• Is anyone having problems with their steering? I have about 10,000 miles on my Aviator and when making hard, slow turns (i.e. parking) I hear this "moaning" sound and at times, the steering wheel shakes. My next step is to take it to the dealership but I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing similar problems.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,669
    Does this noise only occur when the steering wheel is turned all the way to the right or left? If so that's normal - it's the power steering pump. You should not hold the wheel at full lock left or right for more than a couple of seconds (or not at all if possible). It puts a lot of pressure on the pump and hoses.
  • asemaasema Posts: 33
    I have heard this noise too, and it happens when the wheel is turned all the way to the left or the right.
    Not sure I like the sound, even though its meant to be normal..
    Customer: my car makes a wierd sound when I do this (customer turns wheel all the way to the left).

Mechanic: Then don't do that.

Ford power steering pumps are notoriously noisy - been that way for years. But I believe all cars will do this to some extent.
  • raul69raul69 Posts: 28
    Thank you again for taking the time to check your rack. I called the dealer last week and they checked another Avi on the lot and found that it had these rivets I have on the rail. He said he tried to move the front one and could not but had very little explantion. I then called another dealer and this service tech told me that he was familiar with these rivets adn that they were factory preset to this area on the rail. That the crossbars could not be moved beyond this point because of its intentional design. He said this was done to prevent these bars from moved too far forward to prevent load destablization or unbalancing. This was simply a safety issue. Now I am not too sure since you don't have these rivets and are able to move you bars up to about 38 inches. If your front bars can be moved past your rear passenger window area then you probably don't have these rivets. I maximum position I can move my front bars is to the middle of the rear window. I should probably do some more checking on this with other dealers.
  • No, the noise is emitted in the process of turning the steering wheel. I think I hear it mostly during hard, slow turns since the road noise is minimal.
  • Sorry, I should also add that this is a rather recent problem (last 1000 miles).
    Mine is chrome - came standard on the premium model (2003 2wd). Maybe it's a different type or maybe they made a change to the design along the way. Check the dealer inventory for yourself - especially one with the chrome.
    How do you turn hard slowly??

If it's making a noise before you get to full lock then it's either a bad hose or pump.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Or, your engine is turning at lower than normal revs and stalling out the pump pressure....
  • geniahogeniaho Posts: 15
    It has been a while since I posted but I check every day and I have had the steering noise but only on tight backing up turns. I love the kitty and would not change it for any other vehicle. I'm at just about 10 thousand K's and have had nothing but pure enjoyment. One thing though my "A" fell off so on one side I have an Aviator and on the other a "V iator. That's fine because it is a V 8er. It also turns alot of heads.
    Does anyone know if the newest Nav system can be installed into a vehicle that was ordered without it? Might be pricey but I should have got it when I ordered the Kitty Hawk.
  • albellalbell Posts: 185
    My name is Al and I live in NYC and on Thursday evening will be the proud new owner of an 04 Ultimate, Mineral Gray with rear bench, DVD, AdvanceTrak and trailer hitch. Got it for 4k under invoice and 7700 under MSRP.

I had been itching to be rid of my 02 RX300 for the past year, and finally pulled the trigger. Came to the Aviator rather late in the evaluation process, and was extremely surprised at the overall package -- excellent ride, strong and pretty refined engine, nifty interior, and much more utility than the RX, which to me, was a elevated soft station wagon (albeit a very nicely appointed one.) Ride was much too soft for my tastes and the body roll and numb steering drove me crazy on my jaunts up the Taconic Parkway -- which for those non-NYers in the crowd is quite tight and winding. It will be nice to be more relaxed behind the wheel ;).

Anyway, I have owned American, German and Japanese luxury wagons and SUVs and think that we Americans now have product that can stand up to the best...if reliability can be maintained. There's some content that I would have liked to see -- auto dimming mirrors and extending visors, for example -- but every car and manufacturer has tradeoffs.

Happy to be back in the domestic camp and am thankful for generous incentives (and Edmunds, too, which really helps level the playing field with the dealers.)

Look forward to participating in the chats.
    The autodimming mirror is available but only with the Navigation system. Go figure.
    Yeah, I can't figure it out.
    You'd figure that plunking down well in excess of 40k, you'd know everything about your purchase, but...sometimes the details slip by.

Does the 2nd row bench seats recline? I know the buckets do, but I forgot to check the bench configuration.

Also, does the radio carry RDS info? I don't believe that it does.

The web site and brochure aren't as informative as others. Good thing for this forum.

Thanks.
    I don't think the bench 2nd row seatbacks recline - they do on the Navigator, but I don't think the Aviator's do. The Radio does carry RDS I believe.
    The Nav system radio definitely has RDS. Not sure about the normal radio.
  • asemaasema Posts: 33
    2nd row bench setas do recline. Lever on side allows for slight recline.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    electrochromatic mirror will become standard with job#2 (12/03 production)...reverse tilt side mirrors will be dropped.
    Now, that's dumb. That's a great feature, and every Lincoln should have them. It should be a standard feature of the brand. Anybody out there listening????
    Hmm. I wonder if the new mirror can be retrofitted and at what cost.
  • Probably because they have had to replace most of them already. The two on my Navigator have been replaced already, (10 months) and the passenger side appears to be going again.
  • Just bought a new '03 Aviator (silver with grey interior) and wanted to buy a luggage cover for the rear cargo area. We took out the bottom of the third row seat, which we never would use anyway, so the floor panel is flat and got one of the cargo mats to cover the floor. The dealership here (San Diego) says that Lincoln doen't make the cover! I can clearly see the indents in the interior where the cover is supposed to fit. The really irritating thing is that a $40,000 truck wouldn't come standard with this. My $15,000 '86 Bronco II had one, standard. Does anyone know about this issue with the luggage cover?
    I was told the same. It has to do with the 3rd row seats; there's no place to put the cover.
    Lincoln doesn't offer it because the Aviator comes standard with the 3rd row seats. But the explorer and mountaineer do not and that's probably why the indentions are there. You should be able to get a grey one for an Explorer or Mountaineer and it should fit (again assuming all the holes are still there) - may or may not match the color exactly though.
    The mechanism to tilt the mirrors down for reverse isn't different - it's the same mechanism used to adjust the mirror for the memory features. The computer knows the position of the mirror and can move it automatically. The fact that the mirror is defective should not have anything to do with the reverse feature - that should just be software.

Maybe it's the repeated movement that's bringing out a flaw in the mirror so by not moving it so much it will be less likely to happen.
  • Thanks, akirby for the info. It doesn't make sense, however, that just because there is a third row seat, some people wouldn't want to fold it down and carry packages that they wouldn't want to have in plain view, IMHO. I'll try the dealership to see if a Mountaineer cover will fit.
    It may also interfere with the 2nd row bucket seats ability to recline. Probably easier to just leave it out. Curious to know how they handle it on the explorer w/3rd row seat. My guess is you don't get one there either.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    October sales figures came in this weekend, the Aviator sold 2630 units. 23,988 for the year so far, and 2 month's left. Ford will definatly meet it's initial sales target of 25,000 units, it's safe to say.
  • Has any of those with the rear end whine type noise had the cause found? The noise starts in the 50's until the 60's then stops and also stops when you let off the gas. We have had two differentials put in and the noise is back. can be quite loud in the rear seats and probably will get worse. The dealer has us on hold while hey hope for a report to come in on how to fix.