Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Aviator

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,937
    many times, i scroll through a bunch of posts. when something catches my eye, i scroll back up to see who it is, and usually it's you(actually at this point, i know it's you). too bad you have to be the target of posts, like #1169. as far as i'm concerned, thanks for the info. i prefer domestic products.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    "ANT, I'm not impressed. I'm liking the Nasser reign more and more all the time as far as products are concerned."

That was the point, they didn't have much issues. That's what led Ford to post losses the past couple of years. Hardly any products in the pipeline.

"Since when has Volvo been considered luxury?"

Volvo is considered (by Ford) and many other resources, as a luxury nameplate.

The DEW derived platform is excellent for the money actually. Don't be surprised if you see other vehicles step from that platform (hint).
  • I was told by a dealer the Aviator was being discontinued in 2005 and being replaced by a crossover model.

If the above is correct, should we purchase?

If we do purchase, should we expect better pricing (currently quoting 38,400 for luxury model including taxes, with DVD ent. package before trade. We have not "negotiated" yet)?

Do you know how this would affect resale value? We typically keep our vehicles for approx. 7 years.

I do love this vehicle, have test drove. Also drove Explorer (BIG difference in feel/aesthetics ). My husband is concerned about the talk of the truck being discontinued and what that could mean in the future.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks.
  • lolaj42lolaj42 Posts: 420
    I apologize if you interpreted my post as a personal attack toward ANT. I too find ANT's insight most helpful, and it's definitely appreciated. However, the information ANT provides is most disappointing to me as I am a current, and enthusiastic owner of a 2000 Lincoln LS V8 Sport that was purchased new nearly 4 years ago. I'm sorry if my post sounds like I'm shooting the messenger.

Unfortunately, I'm growing increasingly more concerned that, after 2006, Lincoln will no longer have a product on their showroom that I will be interested in. Over the past 4 years, Lincoln has shown me much good will, and they have definitely earned themselves a shot at my future business, but only if their products fit my needs. I haven't heard of anything yet beyond 2006 that does. Too bad.

As far as Volvo goes, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think I'll ever come to recognize Volvo as a luxury brand. To me, they've always been a niche player in the auto industry that has banked heavily on their crashworthiness and leadership safety measures. When I think of safety, I think Volvo. When I think luxury, I think of many other brands, but definitely NOT Volvo.

I haven't noticed GM slotting Saab as a luxury brand . . . particularly in direct comparisons to their existing Buick or Cadillac brands. Volvo is certainly not any higher in cache than Saab.
  • Does anyone have any info on a fix for the rear axle whine problem?
  • upsetter1upsetter1 Posts: 205
    I agree with lolaj4. Volvo is not a luxury brand. Is it premium? Yes, but not luxury. Boring ? Yes, not exciting as BMW, not as solid and prestigious and elegant as Mercedes, not sporty and modern as Cadillac. I would compare it rather with Buick.

"American luxury" is now Lexus, BMW and Mercedes. It was redefined, for many years now. Good morning Ford, wake up !
    "I apologize if you interpreted my post as a personal attack toward ANT"

Oh not at all, I didn't see it as a personal attack, just exchanging point of views, so it's alright.

"I was told by a dealer the Aviator was being discontinued in 2005 and being replaced by a crossover model."

Considering Ford has not released any dates for such a demise, then there's really no way your saleperson could have figured that out. And from the look of the concept, I can tell you it's NOT coming in 2005....MAYBE in 2006 as a 2007 model.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,741
    No fix yet. They are aware that they've lost some customers over it so I think it's high on the priority list but these things can be complicated. I'd rather wait and get a sure fix than get something quickly that isn't a permanent fix.
  • Does anyone else who owns an Aviator besides me take it personally when someone says that it is overpriced when all you are getting is an Explorer? First of all, I think that the Aviator is as much an Explorer as the Navigator is an Expedition. Or the Escalade is a GMC Yukon for that matter. Can you explain the pricing on those cars "when all you are purchasing is an Expedition or a Yukon"? I personally think the Aviator is very different from the Explorer. Yes, maybe they do run on the same chassis and yes maybe they do have SOME similarities. So does the Navigator with the Expedition, and the Escalade with the Yukon. I am extremely happy with my Aviator and have absolutely no regrets that I bought one. I do feel bad for those people who are going to miss out on the Aviator because of the saying "overpriced Explorer" Anyone else agree?
  • Has anyone out there, that got a dvd navigation system with there 2003 Aviator, received an upgrade for your nav system? I bought my Aviator last August and got the 2002 DVD map with my vehicle. I asked Navtech when the new 2003 version would be out and they told me Feb of '04. I just found out recently that the 2003 dvd versions came out late last September a month after I had bought my vehicle. I also found out that some select 2003 Navigator owners that had the new dvd navigation systems have received the upgraded 2003 dvd's. I checked on the Aviators and there was no such upgrade for us. Does that seem fair? Has anyone had the same problem?
  • Hi,

I'm considering a purchase of an Aviator. I should
    have never taken my wife to the Lincoln dealer! ;)
    I'd like to buy a used 03 but I want AWD,
    AdvanceTrac and Navigation. Is AdvanceTrac
    available on 03s? How would I know if it has
    AdvanceTrac? Is there a light or button or
    something? Is the 03 AdvanceTrac the same as the
    04 AdvanceTrac? There is something in the 04 dealer brochure that says late availability.

Also, getting these options seems to be difficult.
    Is there anyway to add a navigation system and
    make it look good? There doesn't seem to be any
    place to put like a Magellan RoadMate 700 or some
    such. I don't want it sitting on top of the dash.

If anyone can help clear up my confusion it would
    be much appreciated.

Ed Mazurek
  • The dealer emailed us and said Lincoln may have a fix for the whine but is not ready to publish it yet. We are really getting tired of it and hope that do find a solution soon.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I used to agree about Volvo not being luxury, of course, I felt the same way about BMW & Mercedes then. But they have changed, and if you drive an S80 T6 - it's hard not to feel the luxury and performance in that car.

and yes, AVI DRIVER, You are absolutely right! Anybody who has driven the two, can't honestly say that the Aviator is just a dressed up Explorer.
    But isn't that fridge in the S80T Premier cute though? I wish a few more SUV's would have that, doesn't take much room....
  • albellalbell Posts: 185
    I have rented both explorers and mountaineers, and now own an aviator. Anyone who tries to aregue that the Ford or Mercury are similar to the Lincoln either hasn't driven each or is being disengenous. Yes, there are many similarities, but the driving experience with the Aviator is just not comparable to the other Ford products.

And in my opinion -- having owned GM, Lexus and MB Suv's, with the incentives, the Aviator is the best value in mid-size luxury class.
    Even between Mountaineer and Explorer there's a slight difference. A few components in the suspension are retuned differently. Same as with the Escape and Tribute duo.
  • asemaasema Posts: 33
    H,
    I was driving yesterday when the Check AdvanceTrac warnign message illuminated on my dash. I did the system check through the onboard computer thing, and it also gave the same message.
    Has anyone seen this happen to their Aviator? I haven't checked again...I'm hoping switching off the car and restarting it would have fixed any gremlins.
    2003 with 5900 miles. Thanks.
    Happens a lot in cold weather. Should go away. Only a problem if it stays on or goes on and off frequently.
  • jmez44jmez44 Posts: 21
    I've had that happen to me a few times now. Each time it lights up my brakes act funny. Almost like ABS is kicking in whle the AdvanceTrac light is flashing on the info screen. I took it to the service dept, but they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Its happened for me in 40-50 degree weather. Whats weird is this also happened on dry pavement. Could be a sensor issue. But if it happens infrequently, then don't worry about it i guess.
  • Any suggestions for a good cargo liner that can be used with both the 3rd seat up and down? Anyone familiar with the Canvasback Liner? Would the Mountaineer version fit ?? http://www.canvasback.com/?refname=driftfish
  • I have contacted Nifty Products about a liner and mats as I have referenced here before. They still have not given me an answer but keep telling to call back. I believe they have the best liner and mats for the vehicle if they ever make them !! The Xtreme is a great liner, and I am not sure if the one that fits the Explorer/Mountaineer will work. As far as the Nav question from above goes, you should be able to check to make sure you have the newest edition by going to their website at www.navtech.com. If anyone has another Forum location that is more active for the Aviator please let me know .. Thanks
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    You might want to try Lincoln Aviator Owners: Accessories & Modifications discussion.

As a rule we don't discuss other forums on the Town Hall boards.

tidester, host
    This same phenomenon has occurred twice on my Navigator. A restart resets the error message, and it seems ok. I'm not worried about it. But the traction control does activate slowing the car when this happens, so it feels "funny". Both times, it was shortly after start up and the warning stayed on until I restarted the car. Unless it stays on, I think it's not a problem. All of these fancy electronic functions can experience a "blip", but not be permanently faulted.
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    happened once (03 Navigator).. "fixed" itself after a restart.. don't know why it happened either.
  • asemaasema Posts: 33
    My only concern about it happening 'alot in cold weather' is that cold weather (i.e. icy, slippery roads) is when it would make sense to take full use of advance trac. And if thats when it decides to error out, then it sorta defeats the purpose to have advance trac. There's got to be a better reason for the error to show up. I do worry about it...especially since its happening in a car that I paid over 45k for.
    Check out flatratetech.com and ask around about that advance trac issue. Ford techs use that site quite a bit and they might be able to shed more light on the problem. They've helped me a couple of times already.

Good luck!
  • avfan2avfan2 Posts: 23
    OK, now I am upset. Our first snow and the advance trac is turning itself off and on. The restart did "reset" it, but it is NOT comforting to rely on a stupid warning message! Just because the "warning" resets doesn't convince me that the system is working.

gteach26, once you go to flatratetech.com then what do you do? I can't find anything that looks appropriate.

BTW, to all thinking of buying an aviator, DON'T. My seat is loose again, I still have the rear end howl, I still have the intermittent moan from the back end, the back hatch window squeaks when it is warm, I still hear the tin lid squeak when I corner, I still hear the growl from the hood occasionally, and now an advance trac issue! Don't let the good looks and nice ride fool you.
    2003, 7680 miles.
    Avfan.. It sounds like you're not a happy camper... and from the sounds of it I don't think that the Aviator is going to cut it for you.. Be careful though because the drivers in the Aviator competitor's forums (Lexus, BMW, Volks, etc..)have had plenty of issues with their mid-size suv's as well!

Over at flatratetech go to the message forums (you gotta scroll down a bit to find them -- they're in the center of the page) and leave a message for the techs. That advance trac warning shouldn't be coming on and off and it should get looked at.

Bottom line though, if it's happening often enough and the service tech at your dealer see's it happen then they can fix it for you.

I know it must stink to pay lots of $$ to have headaches...Good luck!
    Don't buy avfan2's aviator. The rest are just fine.
    I warned y'all about the seat track thing. They ALL do it, including the explorers and Mountaineers too. You just have to get used to it. If that's going to continually tick you off, it's not the car for you. And that may be, I had one once that drove me silly that way. You just have to move on. They can't fix it.