Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Aviator

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Oddly enough, in 03, all Ford SUVs got 5 matching wheels - well, almost matching in some cases. But that was the only year. from 04 on, they are black as you say.....

As for the grinding, if you're talking about start up, you're correct, and all Fords do it. But it only happens if the compressor has been idle for more than a day, and is "normal". Has been for years. It's not impressive, but the subcontractor who makes those compressors hasn't been asked to redesign them - as they work great for years and years generally, and are very efficient. A little noise.....vs. mediocre performance, I'll take the daily grind.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,778
    "Lincoln's new Aviator SUV, which will arrive next year as a 2007 model, will use a six-speed automatic transmission and Ford's new 245-hp, 3.5-liter V6 engine."

Ford Plans for New V6, V8 Revealed (Inside Line)

Did they forget the roof?

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,722
    i keep hinting to my wife that i'm getting to the age where i want a 'lincoln'. we had all 3 generations of sho's. i still want an suv. aviator is looking really good!
    I sure relate to that. I got that bug in 92, and bought my first Lincoln, a brand new Continental. Not the best car I have ever had, but it was the greatest design. I loved the limosine roofline, the room in the back seat, the ride, the comfort the handling was pretty good for a FWD sled, and the power wasn't all that bad. With the 6 cylinder, the mileage was good! As it aged, it gave me problems so I traded it in 96. Have been driving Lincolns ever since.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    Wish to see a teaser of the next Aviator? Take a look at the first story...

link CLICK
    Cool, ANT -Thanks!!
  • I experienced a similar problem with my Dealer installed DVD Player. It was installed by a local Car Audio shop that is contracted by my Lincoln Dealer. Therefore, the system is covered by the car manufacturer's warranty.
    The problem developed about nine months after taking delivery. The DVD video and IR (wireless) headphone audio were fine but I had no audio over the speakers. The audio from the DVD is wired to a converter that sends an RF signal to the FM radio on a prescribed frequency and thereby to the factory speakers. A toggle switch turns on the converter.
    The problem with my system turned out be a failed inline fuse holder. The plastic fuse holder was installed over the radio. One of the tabs failed and the fuse lost contact.
    The fix was to remove the fuse and the holder and reconnect the power wires with an inline splice. The fuse was redundant protection since the converter gets power from the radio power circuit and this circuit is protected by the radio fuse.
    Chances are, your audio converter is not receiving power due to an open in the circuit as a result of a blown fuse, faulty toggle switch, broken wire or bad connection in the power circuit.
    Hope this helps.
  • Here it is:
    Step 1
    Turn the ignition to the run position. (Do not start engine)
    Step 2
    Wait until the safety belt warning lamp turns off. (Approximately one to two minutes)

NOTE: Steps 3 through 5 must be completed within 60 seconds or the procedure must be repeated.
    Step 3
    Buckle then unbuckle the safety belt three times, ending with the safety belt unbuckled.
    Step 4
    Turn the parklamps/headlamps on then off.
    Step 5
    Buckle then unbuckle the safety belt three times, ending with the safety belt unbuckled. After this step the safety belt warning lamp will be illuminated for three seconds.
    Step 6
    Within seven seconds of the safety belt warning lamp turning off, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt. This will enable the belt minder if disabled or disable belt minder if enabled.
    Step 7
    The following sequence of events confirm the belt minder is enabled:
    - flashing of the safety belt warning belt lamp four times per second for three seconds
    - three seconds with the safety belt lamp off
    - flashing the safety belt lamp four times per second for three seconds again
    Step 8
    The safety belt lamp flashing four times per second for three seconds provides confirmation of belt minder disabled.
    Step 9
    After confirmation, the deactivation/activation procedure is complete.
  • Just FYI- I own a 2005 Aviator- and it has been in the shop since 3 days after we bought it- I have had a lot of problems with it including but not limited to-Steering shaking, pulling to the left, the drive shaft replaced, the shuddering when turning- 3 alignments- 3 balancing, Power steering return hose, and ford has advised me that the "vehicle is pretty good"
    that is scary- by the way it's 3 mognths old with less than 2000 miles on it - i bought it new-been in the shop 6 times- for about 25 days-
  • My 2003 Aviator radio goes in and out of station all over town. When I first took it to the dealer....I was told the base was too high!!!! that was the problem....I figured i would give it a shot..after all you never know...A few weeks later i took it in again and told them i really do non think that it is the base because it doesn't happen when i play my CD's...When i came to pick it up. I was told that they could not see anything wrong with the radio. So i took them for a test drive...Now he was able to hear what I did. So I brought it back thinking it would be fixed...When I came to pick it up I was told again they could not see anything wrong with the radio...So I asked did you hear the radio do what I said..He said Yes. But since there is no report and they can SEE nothing wrong they refuse to fix it. No connection were tested or even attempt to see placing another radio in would do the same thing. Can anyone help me??

I have owened a Land Rover Ford Escape and Jeep Liberty and I have never had a problem with the radio and if i had ANY problems they were more than happy to fix it or atleast look into it.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,699
    Take it to another dealer.
    I agree with akiby. A good dealer will try another control panel, or base unit, whichever it needs.
  • Steering shudder w/ left turn. 2004 aviator, started one mnth after buying, dealer has serviced (fluid additive, changed gears, changed rack) still same problem. Has anyone "cured" this steering vibration/shudder?
    Mine was happening with any low spped turns under 20MPH!

Any known TSB's?
    Yep.

Make : LINCOLN Model : AVIATOR Year : 2004
    Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY
    Service Bulletin Num : 0566 Date of Bulletin: APR 01, 2005
    NHTSA Item Number: 10017902
    Component: STEERING
    Summary:
    LOW SPEED STEERING SHUDDER DURING LOW-SPEED TURNING MANEUVERS. *TT
  • :confuse: I own a 2004 Aviator and fell in love w/ the all chrome Grille on a 2005 , would that fit on a 2004?
    It should - I don't think they changed the underlying structure.
  • I felt the same about the chrome on the 2005. I purchased one for my 2004. It fits perfect and was a breeze to replace.
    I just opened a new forum on the "Lincoln MKX", which is the new name the new generation "Aviator" will adopt.
  • keb2keb2 Posts: 1
    Isn't the name a little bit too much like the MDX? They certainly could have come up with something different.
    I thought the same thing at first, but then I realized that BMW has the M3 and M5 and Infiniti has the M35 and M45. I've never heard anyone get them confused or complain about it.
    Supposedly the name cleared the legal copyright aspect of naming.

If you study some of the other manufacturer's, their naming can be easily confused with anothers. Like my Lincoln LS, isn't far off from Lexus LS430. Volvo's S40 could be confused with Audi S4. Luckily Mazda added it's name to 3, if not it might be confused with BMW 3-series, which the 330, could be confused with Lexcus ES300, which grows to about 330 soon or possible 350, not to be confused with Infiniti G35, or MB's, G500, or E350 which is a jump away from Lexus by just one letter, the "S".

While Acura has 3 letters MDX, TSX, future RDX, similar to Cadillacs XLR, DTS, STS, CTS, etc. At least Saab has nomeclature which is a bit different than the above, 9-3, 9-5, where the 3-5 really means the "0"s the name originally had. Remember's Saturns, L-series, which at first was LS, which was a reversal of SL and luckily went to words...Vue, Ion, etc.

Ahhhh
  • Can i ask how much did you pay for that and did you get it from the dealership?
  • I purchased it form the dealership for $163.00 plus tax. However, I was quoted as much as $196.00 from the same dealership and as high as $225.00 from another. Point being, prices can vary by whomever answers the phone. I google searched and found it as low as $141.00 from an internet website, but shipping made it equal. The key is having the part number 5C528200AA and calling different dealers in your area.
  • I am considering buying a loaded '04 Aviator from a dealer with 20K miles on it. It has both Nav & DVD System. They want $28K for it. After reading this forum I may go back to my original thought of buying the Explorer Limited or fully loaded Mountaineer. Seems like the Aviator has a lot of problems. Any thoughts?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,722
    if you are expecting to get a new limited or mountaineer that has the same features as an '04 aviator, that would be a stretch. is that what you mean?
  • Thanks, I just ordered one from the dealership. I hope it's easy for me to so b/c i refuse to pay 50 bucks for them to put it on for me.
  • Great, you will not be sorry once you get it. It comes in a huge box. I left the box at the dealership and just took the grille.
    The following link is the new Lincoln MKX, which is supposedly the Aviator replacement...

Ford Media
  • See... everyone know that the Aviator(2005) does NOT come out with locking gas cap. I live in South Korea, and the gas price is soooooo expensive in this country. Besides, I'm afraid of children who might put something into the gas tank. I found this guy "thelittleguyenterprise" that sells locking gas cap on the eBay site. does anyone have experience of buying the gas cap and put it on his car? does it fit perfectly? doesn't it have any problem of fitting into the gas tank?
  • EWWWWWWWWWWW, Is Lincoln nuts? It's so ugly. But i have a feeling they are going to sell so therefore no more Aviator