Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Aviator

Comments

• I have contacted Nifty Products about a liner and mats as I have referenced here before. They still have not given me an answer but keep telling to call back. I believe they have the best liner and mats for the vehicle if they ever make them !! The Xtreme is a great liner, and I am not sure if the one that fits the Explorer/Mountaineer will work. As far as the Nav question from above goes, you should be able to check to make sure you have the newest edition by going to their website at www.navtech.com. If anyone has another Forum location that is more active for the Aviator please let me know .. Thanks
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You might want to try Lincoln Aviator Owners: Accessories & Modifications discussion.

As a rule we don't discuss other forums on the Town Hall boards.

tidester, host
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    This same phenomenon has occurred twice on my Navigator. A restart resets the error message, and it seems ok. I'm not worried about it. But the traction control does activate slowing the car when this happens, so it feels "funny". Both times, it was shortly after start up and the warning stayed on until I restarted the car. Unless it stays on, I think it's not a problem. All of these fancy electronic functions can experience a "blip", but not be permanently faulted.
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    happened once (03 Navigator).. "fixed" itself after a restart.. don't know why it happened either.
  • asemaasema Posts: 33
    My only concern about it happening 'alot in cold weather' is that cold weather (i.e. icy, slippery roads) is when it would make sense to take full use of advance trac. And if thats when it decides to error out, then it sorta defeats the purpose to have advance trac. There's got to be a better reason for the error to show up. I do worry about it...especially since its happening in a car that I paid over 45k for.
    Check out flatratetech.com and ask around about that advance trac issue. Ford techs use that site quite a bit and they might be able to shed more light on the problem. They've helped me a couple of times already.

Good luck!
  • avfan2avfan2 Posts: 23
    OK, now I am upset. Our first snow and the advance trac is turning itself off and on. The restart did "reset" it, but it is NOT comforting to rely on a stupid warning message! Just because the "warning" resets doesn't convince me that the system is working.

gteach26, once you go to flatratetech.com then what do you do? I can't find anything that looks appropriate.

BTW, to all thinking of buying an aviator, DON'T. My seat is loose again, I still have the rear end howl, I still have the intermittent moan from the back end, the back hatch window squeaks when it is warm, I still hear the tin lid squeak when I corner, I still hear the growl from the hood occasionally, and now an advance trac issue! Don't let the good looks and nice ride fool you.
    2003, 7680 miles.
    Avfan.. It sounds like you're not a happy camper... and from the sounds of it I don't think that the Aviator is going to cut it for you.. Be careful though because the drivers in the Aviator competitor's forums (Lexus, BMW, Volks, etc..)have had plenty of issues with their mid-size suv's as well!

Over at flatratetech go to the message forums (you gotta scroll down a bit to find them -- they're in the center of the page) and leave a message for the techs. That advance trac warning shouldn't be coming on and off and it should get looked at.

Bottom line though, if it's happening often enough and the service tech at your dealer see's it happen then they can fix it for you.

I know it must stink to pay lots of $$ to have headaches...Good luck!
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    Don't buy avfan2's aviator. The rest are just fine.
    I warned y'all about the seat track thing. They ALL do it, including the explorers and Mountaineers too. You just have to get used to it. If that's going to continually tick you off, it's not the car for you. And that may be, I had one once that drove me silly that way. You just have to move on. They can't fix it.
  • It is unfortunate that you are having all of these problems with your Aviator. But just because yours has all of these continuous problems doesn't mean that they are all that way. I don't have any problems and am very happy with my Aviator which I have had for about 8 months. It is by far one of the best SUV's I have ever driven and I have driven quite a few. I fully recommend the Aviator to anyone interested. As for Avfan2's problems with it...I am sorry he is having all of these difficulties and these out of all of those vehicles produced, there tends to be a few that slip. It is the case with every automobile. You can consider it a matter of luck. But in my opinion, the Aviator is one of the best trucks out there and I love it.
  • I've seen alot of talk about the rear whine problem. Is this only in the 2003's?
  • jmez44jmez44 Posts: 21
    My 2003 Aviator doesn't have the loose seat or the real axel whine thing. It has almost 4k miles on it. I guess some are production duds, while others are not? Mine was a late issue 2003, maybe they corrected it mid-production?
  • avfan2avfan2 Posts: 23
    nvbanker,
    if they ALL have the seat problem, then why doesn't jmez44?

jmez44,
    my build date was 7/03, I don't consider that early, is it?
    I don't know! Maybe he doesn't consider a small shift in the seat loose, maybe his doesn't do it. But ours does, not that we care. Don't really notice it. I had one that rocked once, now THAT bothered me, but I even had the dealer swap out the seat. No different.
  • 2004 Aviator brochure says 4X2 only tows 3500 pounds, Edmunds specs same thing, Lincoln.com same thing. Dealer says that it tows 7200 with class three hitch (100 pounds more than AWD). But that is not documented anywhere except in some info he reads to me over the phone. He says that RWD Aviator only tows 3500 with Class II hitch and that brochures, etc. need to be updated..... What is the truth? I dont need AWD here in South Louisiana, in fact most dealers dont even stock it here.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    It's possible that a class III hitch could get it up to 7200 but if it's not printed anywhere just call Lincoln and find out. Don't believe anything the dealer tells you unless you can independently verify it. They lie.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,613
    jmez44 has the defective seat, the rest are normal. :)
    I wish it were true, explorer4, but I have one of those defective seats too. I just don't care.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,613
    i had the tracks(or whatever they do) in my '02 explorer replaced for the same reason(rocking). a couple of weeks later, it was back.
    kind of like when the b-52's used to fly over our neighborhood on their landing apporoach(at least it wasn't the bombing approach!). didn't even notice after a while.