Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Aviator

Comments

• jerry2281jerry2281 Posts: 97
    Apparently, the 2003 Aviator was to go into production in July, but production has been delayed to September 22 due to several engineering problems discovered prior to Job 1. Problems with braking system, front suspension "shimmy", and 4.6 V-8 overheating.

If Lincoln has to delay introduction to get things right, then I applaud them. I believe the Aviator could win the TOYA against the other mid-size luxury SUV's with it's most powerful engine in it's class, but it must have a trouble-free launch. The VW Tourage and Porsche Cayenne will raise the bar in this segment and build quality is extremely important in the MBZ, BMW, VW and Porsche Black Forest.

Good luck to the Lincoln engineers who are working hard to deliver a great, new marque in the SUV field.

BTW, when will the 4.6 be available in the Lincon LS (hint, hint)?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Not sure about the 4.6 for the LS but the 5.0 version pumping out 400 hp is due out in 2004 or so the rumour goes. Naturally aspirated, too.

I agree that Ford is doing the right thing delaying the launch if there are technical problems. But they need to start finding and fixing them before they announce the date. People still associate a production delay or early recall with poor quality (I don't but some do). I call it good quality control and testing.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    The latest on the Aviator arrival is Aug. Our first unit has a build date of week 3 of july.

I am very pleased to hear the positive comments on the Aviator....When I drove it I was very much impressed and had the thought that this is going to be a big winner for Lincoln...But I am biased.

If Lincoln gives us a good lease program from the get-go we have a winner.
    Rich
    I agree. The only downside I could see was that although it's one of the best riding truck based SUV's I've driven, you can still feel the truck chassis on rough pavement or terrain. That's a plus for off-roading but let's face it - 98% of these will never see anything but pavement. The Acura and BMW soaked up the bumps a little better (as expected). The extra towing capacity should also help differentiate it. It will probably steal some Explorer Limited or top end Mountaineer sales. I would probably spring for the difference if I were buying one. And folks who want a Navigator but just can't afford it.

It's a baby navigator with all the bells and whistles but it's quicker and more nimble and a lot less $$$.
  • sirknightdsirknightd Posts: 96
    Hi...

is the build start date of july and the dealer arrival of august still the projection?
    There seems to be conflicting posts

Also, does anyone think the gps navigation will be available from the beginning of the launch?
    any word on the vivid red color?

thanks
    mike
  • haironghairong Posts: 153
    Yes, Yes and don't know. Both RES DVD and AdvancedTrac were late availability at the initial announcement. But if the September launch is true, I don't know if they can make it.
    We still have an ETA of job 1 towards the end of July with a dealership ETA of Aug.....I will keep everyone updated about any changes I hear about.

Rich
    Thanks for keeping us posted.
  • jondjond Posts: 43
    My local dealer just got two Aviators. No pricing yet, these are probably for display at an upcoming event here. Drove one the other day. Nice SUV, but is an SUV. Better ride than most, but you can still feel that it is a truck frame. Looks like a baby Navigator. Based on the fact that the dealer has a couple, I would think they are not delayed.
    That was my impression exactly - it's still a truck underneath. One of the best riding and handling truck chassis but a truck nonetheless. Of course that's a positive if you actually need to go off-road.

What did you think about the satin nickel center stack and console?
    We were told today to expect an additional delay on the Aviator....they were hinting september at the earliest
  • jondjond Posts: 43
    I thought they were very attractive and quite well done. I particularly liked the cover that pulls down to cover the radio and A/C controls.
    if we'll see the same satin-nickel dash treatment on any other new for 2003 Lincoln vehicles debuting later this year? Seems to be a Lincoln theme with the Aviator and Navigator. And a good one at that.
    For those who are interested, Ford of Canada has the MSRP for the '03 Aviator, $59,995 CDN (including dest. charge). Go to,

http://www.ford.ca/english/showroom/default.asp?sVehCategory=lincoln&sModel=aviator03&page=

then click on Build & Price on the right side. This price is for AWD Premium. Based on exchange rate only, it will be much cheaper than the US price of the same vehicle.

great webpage hairong

I think that 60K canadian translates to 40k american

i noticed no dvd navigation offered yet.

#157 of 157 great webpage by sirknightd Jul 10, 2002 (12:28 am)
    great webpage hairong
    I think that 60K canadian translates to 40k american
    i noticed no dvd navigation offered yet.
    Thanks. I will take credit for finding that page, but not for the webpage itself :-> As to the price tag, vehicles are always cheaper in Canada than in the US :-( Is there anyone with experience that can tell us how much a 60k CDN vehicle will sell in the states?

Now to the update. New production date is early September, with dealer avail. date of 10/7. This may still change, however.
  • boothe2boothe2 Posts: 1
    Will a sun roof be available? I have a 98 navigator, if only it had a sun roof!
  • jerry2281jerry2281 Posts: 97
    Power moonroof with medium overhead console replacing the full-size console is available on all 2003 Aviator models and is option 439.
  • aviatormanaviatorman Posts: 44
    Does anyone know if the 2nd row bench seat cost extra? Since it is an option.
    I checked the 2003 Navigator and it's a no-cost option. I would assume the Aviator would be the same.