Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Beetle Body Work Problems

Comments

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,308
    My daughter, a college student, recently purchased a '02 Jetta with the 2.0 engine and manual transmission. The car looks and drives great, but I'm concerned about VW's reliability record. Am wondering what experience you've had with your '02 Jetta, what oil you use and oil change intervals, and whether you feel comfortable with the lifetime coolant.

My apology for posting this in the New Beetle Convert topic.

Thanks.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Hi, hpmctorque,

Mine's a 1.8 Turbo with automatic and (crossing fingers) I haven't had a moment's trouble with it. As to the oil and coolant issues... well, I'm just here to hand out pillows, serve drinks and make sure everyone's comfortable -- I have no idea what kind of oil the service department puts in it and am coolant-clueless. But I CAN send you to the Jetta Forum, where you'll get a lot more knowledgeable answers than mine:

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and Earlier

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,308
    Okay, if you don't mind, then, I'd like a Diet Coke with light ice and a twist of lime, please, and, fine, we'll do the oil change another time.
  • I have a 2004 NBC. This is my second winter driving it in snow. I have never had a problem, the wider wheel base helps. I have driven it in a couple major storms; it really does well. I do have the 5 speed manual trans; I really think knowing how to properly use your manual trans helps, proper downshifting, etc. to lessen use of brakes.
    Good luck!
  • I have an ipod nano and listen to it in my 06 NBC all the time. You don't have to get a cable from your dealer. You can get one from somewhere like walmart or target. It's called a 3.5mm stereo jack cable. It has a 3.5mm plug on both ends. I think it costs like 5 bucks...or maybe a little more. Good luck! :)
  • lsimlsim Posts: 7
    So nice of you to comment. Thanks!
  • For the first time, test drove a New Beetle convertible, a 2006. Handling/ride was good. Wind noise topdown also good, ergonics excellent, off the line acceleration was sluggish, however once moving it caught up quite quick. I once owned a cabriolet a decade ago, and I intend to buy the manual roof version (It actually is easier to use than the cabriolets old manual top). I can get this for $22K plus tax ($23610 MSRP). The dealer had 24 convertibles on the lot, and this is an average size dealer. I plan to buy this October on the 2006 clearance sales. For the next 7 months I just need to further research the 2006 Beetle reliability with the new 5 cylinder and hopefully improved reliability on everything else. Any new post will be helpful.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    Read as much as you can about the reliability of these vhicles. There may be some unexpected issues with the new engine. And make sure that VW has resolved the problems with the power convertible tops on new Beetles.
  • Thanks for the reply, it is about time to wake up this site. I will buy the manual top , so I don't have to worry about the auto top problems. Being a Volkswagen fan until 1999, when I felt that VW was going into a bad phase by selling technology that I knew was not good like the 1.8T engine etc. The VR6 engine is a bullet proof engine, the VR5 being a derivative, should be bullet proof too, I checked the 06 Jetta site, looks good so far, and almost a year, maybe I will buy in June, before everybody finds out about the return to acceptable reliability and VW will stop discounting their cars due to increased demand?
  • I just bought a 2006 NBConvertible, standard transmission, auto top and I absolutely love it. The top was a little tricky at first because it didn't seem to be latching correctly when I put the top down but after putting it up and down a few times I figured out what I was doing wrong. Now, it works like a charm.

I hear that the auto transmission is a little sluggish...that has been the least of my problems. The standard transmission gives the car a very sporty feel. :shades:

I guess I'm still in the newly wed stages with my car but I am absolutely in love with my 2006 NBC. :blush:

Happy driving!
  • impe1595impe1595 Posts: 8
    I have a 2005 NBC with the 2.0 engine and auto. It was very sluggish for about the first 4 or 5 thousand miles but after that it seemed to gradually acquire more zip. Now with 20 K miles it is actually peppy (but I still would not challange anyone at a stoplight!) If the new 5 cyl. engine is anything like the 4 cyl, maybe it just has to "wear in" a little.

I was a bit worried about the reliability issues noted in this and other forums, but to date I have had absolutely no problems.

Also, I have carefully tracted mileage for the last 20K miles and I have averaged 29.50 MPG on 87 octane gas driving mostly highway at speeds usually no more than 5-10 over posted limits.

Point is - I am happy with my NBC. Hope this helps in your decision.
  • sadbug03sadbug03 Posts: 4
    Electric Woes. 2003 Conv top needs new module $450 only availalbe at dealer. power window modluel $626, only available at dealer, anybody care to ask me about the magnetic signs on the 4 sides and what they read as viewd 25 hours per week on I 4 between Orlando and Tampa Florida?
  • sadbug03sadbug03 Posts: 4
    2003 VW bug, convt, sad owner, not reliable
  • islayislay Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I bought a 2004 beetle cab in 2005 from a deler here in the UK. they had previously owned the car as a demo. when i bought it the roof was clunking when going down so they fixed it before i picked it up. since then ihave had nothing but problems with the roof going up and down and have had more than one moter for the roof and replaced sensors more than once.
    Unfortunatly i took my car in once again for the same problems and they found a plastic 75 ml diet coke bottle in the mechanism which had slipped down after a friend left it on the parcel shelf, obviously i knew nothing about it. when they found it they told me i had invalidated my warenty and they would not fix the roof without me paying £4000 to get a new roof. slightly annoyed as they never really fixed it in the first place and i was never warned of the dangers of things slipping in to the mechanism only that it would break the window. does anyone know of any simelar problems with things slipping into the mechanism. There is nothing about the danger in the Manual either but VW are very resistant and will not help. :sick: :cry: :sick:
  • jasmith52jasmith52 Posts: 455
    Well I'm with VW on this. If your coke bottle got swept up and then bent something then I'd say that the repair is on you.

4000 quid seems quite high though for the repair. Take your car to an independent shop that specializes in VW's and see if they can fix it for less.
  • tmw1tmw1 Posts: 2
    I have owned a Sebring convertible for many years now but I'd like something smaller. I really like the VW Beetles but I was put off when I found out that you always have to put the boot over the top (even with an automatic top). After watching how it folds down and where it sits once it does, it seems to me that it would probably be alright without the boot as long as one was just puttering around town. Can anyone shed any light on the necessity of the boot? Thanks! :confuse:
  • lrj1lrj1 Posts: 1
    :) I have a 2003 drop top. The sales person told me I did not need to have the boot on the top at all, it was only for aesthetics, because the top is secured in place mechanically when lowered. Don't know if he was correct but I very seldom use the boot. No problems with the top yet.
  • tmw1tmw1 Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for your input! I've been watching around town and I've seen several running around without the boot. Now I have to decide if I can wait until they come out with one that runs on alternative fuel! :)
  • we have a 2004 new beetle convertable and the switch in the passenger set turns off and on the airbag. turbo gls, btw.
  • I'm about to buy a convertible beetle and I noticed it's not offered in black in 2006. With the 2007's coming out soon, does anyone know if they will offer black? If so, I'll wait - if not, I'll settle on another color...

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  • I just ordered a 2007 black on black Beetle convertible. The 2007's come with black interiors only. I expect delivery by late September.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    If the seats are "letherette", they will be extremely hot in the summer.
  • ltbluebugltbluebug Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 bug convertible...today my passenger window shattered in a million pieces when I shut the door...scarey site...glad we did not get hurt...is this an issue with bugs? and I was wondering if I am still under warranty...the VW service center is closed today...figures..I have not had the car for 3 years..can someone help> thanks!
  • Hello,

I bought my 2006 NBC June 2 ... the first time the check engine light came on was July 11 :surprise: . I drove it to the dealer's service department ASP; the report was that the computer diagnostic found nothing wrong with the engine/exhaust system so they reset the computer/dashboard.

Two weeks later, the light started coming on/going off "at will." I called the dealer service center -- they asked me if I had the gas cap screwed on tightly :mad: Please! After having to wait for an appointment that fit my schedule (I was out of town for three weeks), I finally got the car in and lo ... they decided the gas cap was screwed on tightly! They also decided it was a mystery why the light kept coming on. After three days in the shop, I got the car back with a new 02 Sensor bank.

I love my car (especially after driving the Ford Focus rental car-- VW did foot that bill along with the O2 parts and labor), but have had more fears confirmed:
    a) I'm going to have to watch the car like a hawk -- I used to drive a '69 Bug, so I'm used to this, but with the old Bug, when I heard/felt a problem, I could pull over to the side of the road, pull out the tools and make the necessary adjustment; not so with this computer on wheels.
    b) I'm going to have to "ride" VW like a tick on a dog to keep them faithful to their warranty.

In the end, I'm still :) with the car ... but trying to remember it is a machine.
  • It is probably way too late for this reply, but your car should have still been under warranty (depends on mileage), and the problem with the window could have been a faulty regulator. The window is designed to drop down about 1/4" when the door is open to allow clearance. If the regulator is faulty, this may not have happened, and the window would have contacted the top when closing causing the window to shatter. It the top was down at the time, this would not be the cause. Other than that I have heard of no faults with the windows that would cause the break.
  • dznishdznish Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2007 New Beetle Convertible, is it supposed to come with a convertible boot cover? It has the semi-automatic cover.
  • Hello,

Back in the day, there were springy eyes that could attach to old volkswagon beetles.

Does anyone remember these, or know where I could find them?

Many thanks!
  • the dome light won't turn off after the door is opened on a new beetle.

I have been told it's a door lock problem, if so how do I get the door panel off!

Thanks
    Dan
  • Hi, I have a 2004 Beetle Convertible, the only problem I have with it is the roof at first it would not open, took it to the dealer and they said it was because I got rear ended, never did, the finally fixed it under warranty but now it rattles, driving me crazy, took it to the dealer and they got it to stop, now it rattles again all the time. Anyone have this problem? I only have 10,000 miles on the car and I am about to get rid of it, my husband did not want me to buy it, "a Chick car" one good thing he wont drive it, but I don't want him to know he was right. So can anyone HELP?
    Thank you
    Dianne :sick: