Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Owners: Meet the Members

Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,026
edited 12:52AM in Toyota
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your Camry!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• armtdmarmtdm Posts: 2,057
    Best Camry they ever made. Still rollin at 139,000. Still handles better then many new cars on the road, certainly better then the new breed of Camry's and the watered down version they sell as an SE now!
  • Hello, I am Bob Clarke. I own a white 99 v6 le after market Classic Soft Trim Leather. I have 55,000 miles so far in in 2 years 1/2 years. I love this car. I pay 403 per month and never regret paying it. I am a weather forecaster in the Air force. I have been in the Air force for 13 1/2 years. I currently do weather forecasts for Operation Enduring Freedom. It keeps me very busy with 13 hours shifts. I am married with no children. I love Sci Fi and enjoy bowling. Have a great day Bob
  • ftx42ftx42 Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2002 XLE V6.
    I like the car very much.
    Only defect so far is a rattle in the dash while driving in high wind conditions. Anyone else encounter this problem?
  • ficklefickle Posts: 98
    Hi, I'm Linda and I bought a "watered down SE" as mentioned by armtdm in Post #2. :) I love my car. I had a '93 Maxima SE before I bought this one.

I can usually be found lurking and posting on the Sedans message board.
  • bought 'watered down" se v6 with package 4 and 7.wonderful car. also have 94 dx camry with 243000 miles--this version is much improved...
  • daveqdaveq Posts: 20
    bought a XLE 4cyl 2 months back. love it!
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Hi! I'm mackabee. I own a 92 Camry Dx, 5spd "stripper" no power anything. It's my wife's car and we love it! Has 132k miles on it, just got it's first tune up a month ago. Have had a few minor problems with it. Had to replace the spark plug sleeves as they were letting in oil into the plugs and car began to run sluggish. That was done at the time of the tune up. Other than replacing the motor mounts when we first bought it, it has been a very dependable car. This is our 3rd of 4th Toyotas. I will also tell you that I have been selling Toy's for the last 5 years and would not buy or sell anything else! The best car for the money. I disagree with armtdm about the "watered" down 2002 Se. I've driven both the "old" SE and while an outstanding machine, the new one beats it "hands down".

: )

Mackabee
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    I've been trying to talk her into a new XLE but she says it looks to much like the last generation Camry. (I think she needs glasses)

: )

Mackabee
  • I recently purchased a 2002 Camry XLE V6 - love the car! But, I too have a rattle coming from somewhere in my dash. It sounds more like a bird chirp and can be heard mostly when I drive over little bumps. Is this similar to what others are hearing? It sort of sounds as if it is coming from behind the vent on the drivers side, but it is hard to isolate exactly where it is coming from.

Any input would be appreciated.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    I purchased a 1988.5 Camry V6 about four years ago with 60,000 miles. Four years later....200,000 miles. New clutch a few weeks ago (yes it is a 5-speed manual).

Now I looking for a nice little hatchback (for my 100 mile daily commute), a Golf TDI (something about 600 miles before the need to fuel up again is appealing, and yes for the price of a loaded Golf, I can get a Camry LE for the same price, though I prefer a SE with a moonroof, 5-speed manual of course, 4 banger)
  • alyxalyx Posts: 3
    I have just been given a fully loaded 89 Camry for Christmas by an old and dear friend of mine.

I've seen these cars on the road for years and didn't think twice about them by their "common" styling. But as they say, "you can't judge a book by it's cover".

This car is awesome!

I have one question for the members here, though.

Does anyone know what the button marked, "ECT" stands for? And what is it's purpose?

Unfortunately, the only thing the car didn't come with was an owner's manual. So I have no idea about this button.

Which I guess leads me to another question. Does anyone know the best way to track down the right owner's manual for my year and model?
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    Power or Economy mode

Just a small difference in shifting patterns. Power mode shifts a little later.
  • ahossaahossa Posts: 152
    Call Toyota at 1-800-431-3331 and Customr service will tell you where to purchase one.It's probably the literature section of the customer service department.The number could also be 1-800-331-4331.It's one of the 2. Their customer service is in Torrance,Ca just outside Los Angeles.
  • alyxalyx Posts: 3
    I really appreciate both 8u6hfd and ahossa for their timely and thorough responses to my queries.
    I hope to be able to return the favour sometime.

Thanks again!
  • jab22jab22 Posts: 1
    Who know's of a source for original brochures from '95.

I just purchased a sweet '95 Camry Le V6 Wagon with 45K for under $9K... White, Leather, 3Disc, third seat, slider and very sharp.

It's a classic
  • I have a new Camry with 10k miles so far. I started a topic that's getting a fair amount of participants under 'Maintenance & Repair' called 'The practices I will use to make my Camry go 1,000,000 miles' I'd love input if anyone is interested.
  • wilcoxwilcox Posts: 581
    We have been very satisfied with it. It is now seven model years old but due to the careful treatment we give it, it looks 2.5 years old on the outside. Although I don't think the bluish/green paint job is one of it's strong points. It seems a tad thin to me. Since we do not eat drink or smoke in it, and we use deep well floor mats, and clean the inside, the interior looks almost brand new.

Surprisingly, no rattles, and wind noise is acceptable. Once in a while the windows get a little foggy and we have to run the defroster. My guess is that there's some water...somewhere...just don't know where. Perhaps it is in our breath.

With over 70,000 miles on it, the only things I've done to it is change oil, filters, change transmission fluid twice(just drain and refill), install new battery (old one lasted 5 years). No brakes put on yet, but we have the "click" noise when brakes are applied the first time after backup breaking. Toyota told me this was normal....

The original Michelins weren't too good, lasting barely 17K miles. A set of Yokohamas didn't do much better. The Pirelli P400's have been very good. They track nice and straight too...which was a problem for the other two brands. I love the looks of the V6 hubcaps on this model.

The door hinges on these cars have a solid (Audi) look to them. They are different than the 2002's. (Just a little observation on my part). Underneath the Camry looks like it was built to be rugged. Perhaps that's why many have had such great ownership experiences with the 92-96 models.

I really like the smooth shifting V6. And it uses 87 octane most of the time.
    When it's time to go, it scoots!

I dread changing spark plugs and wires and may let Toyota do that when I go in for a timing belt in another 10,000 miles. I have a couple of manuals bought from retail outlets. Each one has some conflicting information in them. If I have time I might tackle the plugs, especially if Toyota wants $275.00 to change them!

I'd like to own a 2002 SE. I think they look just great! My fear is that because our 96 has been such a great car for the family, that my expectations may too high for our next one...thereby causing me to grumble and say how I should have gotten something else...like an Acura.

wilcox
  • I have 4cy with 18k miles on it. It is 16 month old.
    Good - Trip to Las Vegas (one trip with all high way so far) returned 33.1 mpg. This is with two adults and little bit of luggages. Using synthtic motor oil (and trasnmission oil).
    Very quiete and smooth.

Bad - From day number one, whistling wind noise coming from rear right door. Took it to the dealer and changed window sealent but still appears at 60 plus mph.
    Car always pulls to the left at high speed (50 plus mph). Took it to the dealer and after two trips, dealer blamed on tires (General Brand).

This is my fifth Toyota and has the most number of annoying problem/issues.(Corolla, Tercel, Tacoma, Previa)

This is Japanese made Camry.
  • Just bought a "watered down" 2002 se 4cyl std silver. Love the gas milage, since I drive from Temecula to Poway for work everyday.
  • I have a 1988 Toyota Camry LE V6 2.5 liter 24 valve engine. Anyway the engine is shot. Can anyone tell me if a 4 cyl engine can replace the one I presently have.
This discussion has been closed.