Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• I recently purchased a 2002 Camry LE-4cyl. I love the car. It is very well built and I hope to have many trouble free driving miles. This is my second Toyota. I also have a 2001 Sienna. This was the first foreign car I ever owned. I'm very impressed.
  • GOts 363 miles on it, I loves my car, first new car for me Interior looks almost like my sisters lexus gs300. Quieter and prettier then the accords i test drove plus bought it from fleet so didnt have to put up with annoying salesmen.
  • I have a white 4-cylinder 2003 Camry LE with just one option...floor mats!

Previously, I had a white 4-cylinder 1997 Camry that was the best car that I have owned with only the following services over the course of 100k miles:

1) Oil & filter changes every 3k miles (by self)
    2) 60k maintenance (included timing belt)
    3) One new set of Michelin tires
    4) One new battery as preventative maintenance
    5) Brake pads replaced once at 91k miles!!!!

That's it. Nothing ever broke or leaked. It was a very early production model from Kentucky. In fact, it was the first 1997 Camry that I had seen.

I thought for years that I would eventually upgrade to a V6. However, when the time came, I felt that the 2.4 liter I4 was more contemporary as compared to the aging but still very nice V6. Plus, after having timing belts fail prematurely on 2 Hondas (which I bought new), I was attracted to the idea of a timing chain. Had the 2.4 liter I4 not been introduced, I would own a V6 today.

Personal observations of 1997 versus 2003 models:

I disagree that the newer model is quieter. In my experience, the less complex cast iron 2.2 liter engine was more subdued (though not as responsive)during acceleration. At highway cruising speeds, both engines approach comparable refined sound levels.

The ride of the previous generation was indeed floaty - and I enjoyed it after owning an Integra with a rather firm ride. While no sport sedan, the current Camry is no longer floaty. Some Camry critics have not caught on to this fact and are erroneously applying 1992-2001 ride qualities when describing the current model. Obviously, they need to take a ride!

The interior of my 1997 was rattle free. Unfortunately, my 2003 is plagued with several creaks and rattles. Some are thermally sensitive and others are not. Oddly, most rattles are on the passenger side. Toyota has been aware of the interior rattle issue since the 2002 model year and has in fact not corrected the assembly quality control problems for the 2003 model year. My 2003 was manufactured in Kentucky during September, 2002.

The annoying rattles have spoiled my 'new car experience' to the extent that even if they are eventually corrected (doubtful), I will not buy another Camry. However, I am not against buying another Toyota product assembled in Japan...in white!
  • My wife and I recently purchased a 2002 Camry Le V6. We owned a 2000 model before purchasing the newer body style and adding leather. On our way home from the dealership (about 1 hour out) we noticed some wind noise coming from the back left passenger door. We thought maybe the door was not completely closed or the window was cracked open. We pulled over and checked both, but could not find anything visibly wrong with the door. The following weekend we drove to Houston with my in-laws in the back seat. My father in-law commented that the door sound like it had an air leak/wind noise. The following week I took it in for service. Now four months later, and five trips for service I still have wind noise coming from somewhere along the left side of the car. As of now the two different service departments have no idea how to fix it. Anyone else ever seen this in an 02 Camry?
  • Boy do I love this car! The standard features are great for a entry level vehicle. The options I got were ABS Brakes and the Security System. The out the door price all taxes and fees was $20,700. This being my 1st Camry I like reading the comments of previous Camry owners. The color I got was Black Walnut Pearl. The best way to describe the color is, it's like Root Beer with a nice golden glow when the sun hits it. Have received many comments on the color. Any suggestions on how to keep fron getting those nasty swirls or scratches you get when you wash the car?

ET
  • I had wind noise coming in from the driver's side window/door or B-Pillar. Initially the service technicians replaced the rubber moldings around the window. But that didn't solve the problem. After closer examination I discovered that the window was not closing properly. As the window goes up, at the very last moment the window would shift slightly away from the proper seated position. When I alerted the dealership of this they replaced the regulator and window and that solved the problem. No more wind noise. Good luck in your investigation.
  • mja216mja216 Posts: 4
    I purchased my car in September 2002. it is a 2002 XLE. I love driving it, and yet worry about certain comments made about some of the problems associated with the 2002 camry. Am wondering if any of you have purchased an extended warranty for your camry. Have done a great deal of research about pricing etc, and have located a Toyota dealer willing to sell the 7/100K for under $1,000. Is that the best price you have heard and is it neccesary?
  • I just purchased an extended warranty from cliffy1 at kjtoyota in Springfield VA. I got this contact from reading the questions about warranties on this board. Check it out my dealer wanted $1450 for this warranty. I got the 7/75 for $675. Tell him that you got your info from the edmunds.com chatroom. Hope this helps. By the way you can buy your warranty at any Toyota dealership and it is valid at all Toyota dealers. Also you do not have to buy it within 30 days as the dealers say.

ET
  • 2002camry,

I told the dealership your story, but they don't seem to believe me. I have escalated to the "customer advocate," but have not heard back from her as of yet. Hmmmm? I don't see how they are my advocate if they work for the dealership?? Anyway they are still trying to adjust the doors and add weather striping they seem unwilling to try the fix that was successful for you. Anyone have any good methods to push them along?

Thanks for all of your help!!
  • You can check yourself if you have the same problem I had. Look carefully as the window goes up. Does it jerk in any direction just before it seats? If it does then the window regulator may be the problem.
    Anyways, if your dealership don't believe you, they can call up my dealership Regency Toyota in Burnaby, British Columbia to confirm the repair. If you need more info, feel free to ask.
  • kiaikiai Posts: 4
    From a Honda Civic H/B DX, 5.0 GT Mustang, Full sized Eddie Bauer Bronco, Nissan Pathfinder, and back to a 4.6 GT Mustang.....owning and driving our brand new 4-cylinder Camry is the best thing we have owned. It's quiet, smooth riding, roomy, and better gas mileage. Living on Hawaii, we need a vehicle with good gas mileage.
  • jmark5jmark5 Posts: 1
    HI ! I recently bought 03 Camry and wanted to install a security system. The dealer quoted $495 for Pursuit alarm (Said he gave me $100 discount). After 2 days since, I felt the price is too high, I decided not to install (though I paid it, I still have to get it installed). When I called the dealer after few days and told him abt my decision, he said he's already placed an order !! and said he could only try to give a store credit. I feel this is very rediculous. Since I know he's talking all nonsense. Also I tried to enquire the price of this type of alarm by calling their parts department and they told me that it would cost $395 including installation.

I would be very thankful if someone can suggest me the best possible way to get my money back insted of store credit since I have not yet installed this alarm yet.

Thanks in advance

Jason
  • azspyder1azspyder1 Posts: 10
    Our local salesman just called to say Toyota WILL NOT make a cloth interior XLE v6 with a moon roof. Despite brochure listing leather as an option, he said they wont make that combination. This is despite fact our present '97 is cloth, moon roof, XLE v6. We hate leather here in Arizona, and hate more paying something for what we dont want. Any ideas on this combination??
  • cgn49cgn49 Posts: 4
    just bought a 03 Camry LE Phantom Grey; love this car.
  • I have a '99 Camry LE with 168K miles. Not one single unscheduled repair till date. Unbelievable! Gives over 32 miles per gallon and even at this mileage, I still have to look at the tachometer to see if it is running. It is so smooth,quiet and rattle-free that I do not hesitate to take it for long day trips(>600 miles one way). In addition, I have a 86 X 2 miles commute/day(don't ask...bad economy) and I drive it every day. It has become a member of our family and we will never trade it in. Hats off to Toyota!
  • barnzybarnzy Posts: 10
    My wife recently purchased a new (2003) Camry XLE, 4 cyl. Being from the old school where we believe the more cylinders you have, the smoother running and longer-lasting vehicle you will have, I suggested we consider a V6 (I drive a Mercury V8). After road testing them both, I reluctantly agreed that the 4 seemed as smooth as the 6, and appeared to be ample for both our driving habits. We recently took a thousand mile "spin" and we are both delighted with the car. It is quiet, handles and rides like a dream, and delivers 35+ MPG on the highway. We get a few "Buy America" looks now and then, but the fact is my wife's Camry was made in Kentucky, while my Grand Marquis is out of Canada.
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    I have a 92 Camry LE I4 and a 2003 LE V6. Even though the old Camry had only 130 hp it felt adequate at that time. There were no 240 hp Accord or Altima back in 92. But things have changed in last ten years. Now it seems having more power is a badge of honor. So when I decided to buy a new car this year I settled on the V6 Camry. No, it is not the fastest car out there but 210 hp is more than adequate for me since I rarely drive more than 75 mph anyway and don't like drag racing. The overall comfort, refinement and reliability is more important for me.
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    I never owned Toyotas but I test drove Camry a few times, wonderful car. One time a friend parked his 4-cylinder Camry (maybe a 96 model) at my house during his vacation. I took a test-drive and found it was nearly as smooth and quiet as its V6 when I floored it. Also when Camry's door was slamed close, the sound was just solid and gave me some confidence how well this thing is built. I bought 96 Maxima mainly because it had a little better performance plus a little more bells and whistles.
  • This past July I purchased a black Camry SE. I was looking for a manual transmission and found one in AL for only $18,900. That included ABS, mats and five spoke Enkie Alum wheels. Since then I put on a K&N air filter and oil filter, and installed a hyper ground system that I made.

I get very good acceleration and the sports suspension makes it a fun driving car. I recommend it to anyone. My kids and the youth at church really think this old man's car is too cool, (really I'm only 43).

I love "my car."
  • robvnrobvn Posts: 5
    Bought this car new at the end of 1999. Initial trouble with wheel shimmy above 55MPH. Insisted dealer put Michelin X Ones on and had them balanced elsewhere on a road force balancer, now OK. Car gets 28 MPG the commuting to work mostly on I-95. Added TRD air filter, strut brace & rear sway bar.

Does any one know how many LE V6 5 Speed models were manufactured in model year 2000?

Switched to Mobil 1 at 36K miles.